• Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Cobain Surpasses Elvis

from The Independent & The Independent on Sunday

24 October 2006

Cobain beats Elvis as richest artist (deceased)

By Andrew Gumbel in Los Angeles

Published: 25 October 2006
    Death is not always the dumbest of career moves, especially if you are a rock star of enduring appeal. Kurt Cobain, the one-time frontman for Nirvana who committed suicide in 1994, earned $50m (£25m) over the past year, according to Forbes magazine's annual list of Top-Earning Dead Celebrities published yesterday.

That figure catapulted Cobain into first place, beating the most reliable of posthumous money-spinners, Elvis Presley, as well as a predominantly musical dozen of also-rans including John Lennon, Ray Charles and Bob Marley.

The list is a ghoulish, darkly humorous send-up of the Forbes list of the 400 richest Americans, timed to coincide with Halloween, but it is also a reflection on the extraordinarily lucrative world of licensing and merchandising deals involving artists no longer with us.

"How does a posthumous star land, and stay, on our list?" Forbes asks. "Solitary events - a successful film release or an estate sale - won't necessarily do it over the long term. Staying power comes from a body of work or simply an iconic image with long-lasting appeal."

That explains the perennial presence of Elvis on the list. Cobain beat him for first place this year purely on the strength of a single deal - the sale of 25 per cent of his song catalogue by his widow, Courtney Love, to the music publishing company Primary Wave. The $50m deal opens up the prospect of Cobain songs popping up in films and television with greater regularity and even - perish the thought - in advertising.

Number three on the list was Charles M. Schulz, the creator of the Peanuts comic strip. Lennon was number four and Albert Einstein - a beneficiary of the Baby Einstein line of infant products - came in fifth place.

Other musicians on the list included Ray Charles (number 8), Johnny Cash (number 10), the country star and subject of the recent biopic Walk The Line, who had two new albums released over the past year; George Harrison (number 12) and Bob Marley (number 13). The other celebrities who made it were Andy Warhol, not so much an icon as a creator of icons, Marilyn Monroe, who was one of his subjects, the children's author Dr Seuss and J.R.R. Tolkien (with a little help from Peter Jackson).

Anyone who earned at least $7m in the year from October 2005 to October 2006 was eligible for inclusion on the list. The fact that this year's roster numbered 13 was pure happenstance, nothing to do with superstition or otherworldy superstition.

In an article accompanying publication of the list, Forbes even had a few hot tips on celebrities in line for inclusion in next year's list. They included Audrey Hepburn, currently cavorting in skinny black jeans in a television commercial for the clothing chain The Gap, and Johnny Carson, the popular American late-night television host, whose personal library of more than 4,000 hours of footage from NBC's The Tonight Show, may well find a commercial outlet thanks to the rise of online video streaming sites such as YouTube.

Top 10 'rich dead' list

1 Kurt Cobain ($50m - £26.3m)

2 Elvis Presley ($42m - £22.1m)

3 Charles Schulz ($35m - £18.4m)

4 John Lennon ($24m - £12.6m)

5 Albert Einstein ($20m - £10.5m)

6 Andy Warhol ($19m - £10m)

7 Dr Seuss/Theodor Geisel ($10ms - £5.3m)

8 Ray Charles ($10m - £5.3m)

9 Marilyn Monroe ($8m - £4.2m)

10 Johnny Cash ($8m - £4.2m)

And to the first mouthbreather in here who fucking puts down Kurt and his music and/or lifestyle can go fuck himself with a rusty hammer......don't forget your hero Elvis, the racist drug addled pedophile who died on the throne

* end of rant
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • Matt White
    • Jun 2004

I'm gonna go sniff some glue in tribute!

That 25% of the NIRVANA catalog jumped him up there.....

I can't believe his old lady blew that much cash that she had to sell off some of the kingdom.........

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I just hope Cuntney isn't seeing a penny of this money. Frances, yes. Cuntney, no.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Ironic that in death he's become what he didn't want to be in life: a product!
        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Steve Savicki
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          I just hope Cuntney isn't seeing a penny of this money.
          So what's the conspiracy now? That she was involved in his death?
          And what did happen to that Nirvana Box set? Last I heard, Grohl and Novaselic were fighting over the tracks with her.
          I was looking foward at it when I first heard of it and then stopped following this release when the legal battle over these unreleased tracks was the big thing in Nirvana news.
          sigpic

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Steve, the box has been out for over a year.......

The box set spans Nirvana's entire career, from a recording of Led Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker" at the band's first show in 1987 to solo acoustic performances from singer-guitarist Kurt Cobain in 1994. With The Lights Out features a 60-page color booklet with rare photos and liner notes by Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore and writer Neil Strauss. The three CDs, arranged largely chronologically contains home and rehearsal demos, including for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (whose lyric "With the lights out" provides the set's title), "Rape Me," "Heart Shaped Box" and a trio penned by legendary bluesman Leadbelly. Heard in the 12 previously unreleased solo acoustic tracks are such gems as "All Apologies," "Lithium" and "Sliver." Six previously unreleased radio performances range from "Anorexorcist" in 1987 to "Dumb" in 1991 (two years before it was on 1993's In Utero). Along with the remaining debuts are a handful of earlier issued, though rare, b-sides and demos as well as the original Butch Vig mix of "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Highlighted on the With The Lights Out DVD is a previously unreleased video of nine songs performed in 1988 at bassist Krist Novoselic's mother's house in Aberdeen, Washington; the rare "In Bloom" Sub Pop music video, and 10 never-before-seen live performances. Noteworthy among them are debut renditions of "Pennyroyal Tea", "Smells Like Teen Spirit" both from early 1991. Also premiering is an unlikely performance of Jacques Brel and Rod McKuen's "Seasons In The Sun" shot at a Rio de Janeiro studio.

It retails for about $50, but check at Costco first. If they have it in stock it will be around $35
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Seems odd, but Elvis had a pretty shitty record deal; his family was shocked at Parker after E kicked it and they found out what E's then-royalty rate was...that one deal was enough to put Cobain's estate over the top, but I doubt Cobain is gonna be a dead icon with the staying power of the King; outside of that crappy You Know You're Right single from the box set a few years back, I can't even recall the last time I even HEARD Nirvana on the radio. Maybe he's a huge hit with the younger crowd, but I was about the same age as he was when he died, and it wasn't some huge Lennonesque shock when he bit it - whatthefuckever.

Just sounds wrong on the face of it, as Elvis certainly referenced more in the media and pop-culture than Nirvana is these days...but whatthefuckever.

Last edited by Terry; 10-25-2006, 06:21 PM.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Eyes of the Night
                Veteran
                • Jan 2004

I like Courtney's move here ... not bad for just 25% of the catalog ... it's like winning the lottery AGAIN! ...
                Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Maybe it's 'cause I'm what they call an old fuck now, but to me Nirvana blew their load on "Smells Like Teen Spirit"...

I agree with FORD though, I'm hoping that Frances' future is secure...
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

How can Frances' future be fucking secure with that nutbag as her mother...

being born a heroin addict...

dad killing himself...

mom a pock faced whore...

sweet...
                    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I just hope Cuntney isn't seeing a penny of this money. Frances, yes. Cuntney, no.
                      Ditto! That skank could do no bigger favor to the world than to die!

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                        Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

I hear Heather Mills McCartney is looking to talk to Cuntney about a few pointers.
                        Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Steve, the box has been out for over a year.......

The box set spans Nirvana's entire career, from a recording of Led Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker" at the band's first show in 1987 to solo acoustic performances from singer-guitarist Kurt Cobain in 1994. With The Lights Out features a 60-page color booklet with rare photos and liner notes by Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore and writer Neil Strauss. The three CDs, arranged largely chronologically contains home and rehearsal demos, including for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (whose lyric "With the lights out" provides the set's title), "Rape Me," "Heart Shaped Box" and a trio penned by legendary bluesman Leadbelly. Heard in the 12 previously unreleased solo acoustic tracks are such gems as "All Apologies," "Lithium" and "Sliver." Six previously unreleased radio performances range from "Anorexorcist" in 1987 to "Dumb" in 1991 (two years before it was on 1993's In Utero). Along with the remaining debuts are a handful of earlier issued, though rare, b-sides and demos as well as the original Butch Vig mix of "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Highlighted on the With The Lights Out DVD is a previously unreleased video of nine songs performed in 1988 at bassist Krist Novoselic's mother's house in Aberdeen, Washington; the rare "In Bloom" Sub Pop music video, and 10 never-before-seen live performances. Noteworthy among them are debut renditions of "Pennyroyal Tea", "Smells Like Teen Spirit" both from early 1991. Also premiering is an unlikely performance of Jacques Brel and Rod McKuen's "Seasons In The Sun" shot at a Rio de Janeiro studio.

It retails for about $50, but check at Costco first. If they have it in stock it will be around $35
                          I have to pick this up, is everything not 'previously unreleased "remastered?"
                          Last edited by Nickdfresh; 10-25-2006, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

Imagine the tell-all book Frannie-Bean is gonna write someday..............................

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                              Imagine the tell-all book Frannie-Bean is gonna write someday..............................
                              If the poor thing survives 'Mommy dearest.'

Comment

Working...