PDA

View Full Version : MTV, M2 no longer play music, and Stupid Band Names

Hardrock69
10-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Ok so last night I was messing around, channel surfing.

I landed on VH-1 Classic for a moment.

Suddently an advert comes on for a band's new album.

The band's name? Skillet.

I went WTF?

Are these guys so stupid that they would name their band after a fucking cast iron kitchen utensil? Fucking hell.....just the name alone convinces me the music must suck ass.

I would never even think of buying (or wasting my time listening to) music by a band with such a fucktard name.

If they lack the imagination to come up with a simple fucking band name, there is no way in hell they would have the imagination to write good material.

Not only that, but if they have a label deal, with actual advertising on VH1, that says a lot about the intellect of the people working at the label.

Now....they advertised another artist in the same conmercial (yes I spelled it that way intentionally).

The artist's name?

"Billy Talent"

Once again, this is a perfect display of idiocy. That sounds like a name contrived by a fucking moron at a fucking record label.

Billy Talent my fucking ass.
Oh Christ....the band's original name was "Pezz".

Do they need some kind of dispenser?

Shit...no wonder...they are signed to Atlantic Records &
Warner Music Canada....just the name alone stunk to high heaven of major label stupidity. And with a name like "Billy Talent", it is almost certain they are a bunch of talent-LESS whores for the Mega-Corporate Ass Masters.

Ugh...looking at Wikipedia...Skillet is a Christian band from Memphis. Apparently they must feel that kitchen utensils somehow show their love of JEEZ-US-AH!!!!

So anyway, after this stupid conmercial was over with, and I was done marveling at the retardedness of both band names, I went back to channel surfing.

I checked out the program listings for MTV and M2 for the following TWELVE FUCKING HOURS, and you know what?

NO MUSIC WHATSOEVER!!!!

Fashion, game shows, stupid reality shows, and a shitload of advertising no doubt.

They no longer show ANY music programming whatsoever on MTV or M2.

It is time somebody starts a petition to submit to USA Networks (the parent company) demanding that they rename the channels, as they no longer have anything to do with music,

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/1703765/0/nouser_1703/T0_-1_1703765.jpg

Coyote
10-26-2006, 05:54 PM
MTV's been fucked up since the mid 90's, and you noticed this today?

Hardrock69
10-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Hell no, are you nuts? ;)

It is just that even though Empty-TV has been screwed for the past 10 years, they have always at least had some sort of music programming on their schedule whenever I happened to tune in to either that channel or the more recent addition M2.

And with the creation of M2, they could go ahead and let the main channel sink to a new low, while playing music videos on M2. In fact, that was the stated purpose. They made a big deal out of it in the press, how they were going to play nonstop music videos and music programming once more, but on M2, not MTV.

This is, however, the first time I have searched the channel guide for a large block of time (in this case it was for an entire afternoon & evening) for BOTH channels, and found no music whatsoever.

ZERO.

This was not the sole purpose of this thread. I was just marvelling at the idiocy of the band names I had seen in that commercial, and decided to comment on the Empty-TV thang.

I posted a link here last year to a demo of a song I wrote in 1995 called MTV Sucks.

This is nothing new.

binnie
10-27-2006, 04:14 AM
MTV does suck.

Over here their must be 20 music channels, none of which are much good.

Is it record companies that stiffle releases to be aired, or just the fucks at the channel....

DrMaddVibe
10-27-2006, 07:13 AM
The artists that could split off and really change the recording business sit around and collect paydays.

Bono want's to prove he's some worldly politician...clean up the business you're in first and then take on world hunger.

Zappa had it right. Prince has it right. Fuck 'em. The corporate world with their staff of lawyers and talent scouts throw us Green Day and Shakira and expect us to like it. Looks like the greed isn't paying off as well as they envsioned...Clear Channel is planning a fire sale!

http://www.salon.com/ent/clear_channel/

redfire
10-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
I checked out the program listings for MTV and M2 for the following TWELVE FUCKING HOURS, and you know what?

NO MUSIC WHATSOEVER!!!!

Fashion, game shows, stupid reality shows, and a shitload of advertising no doubt.

They no longer show ANY music programming whatsoever on MTV or M2.

It is time somebody starts a petition to submit to USA Networks (the parent company) demanding that they rename the channels, as they no longer have anything to do with music,

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/1703765/0/nouser_1703/T0_-1_1703765.jpg

Yeah, MTV has needed to change their name, what with them not actually playing music, but don't you know petitions don't work. As a person who works in the field on campaigns, the problem with petitions is there are loop holes. Even if you get enough people to care about something to actually do anything, it will just be sidestepped. And that's especially true when it comes to something like MTV. All those gay reality tv shows are popular with someone (prolly people my age and a little younger), and you can only successfully attack a group while they are down.

As for Skillet, that's a group that struggled for awhile. So it's nice to see them getting some run on VH-1. Nice guys though. Lyrically, they are actually pretty well thought out. You can say whatever about them being Christian, but they aren't jerks about it. It's just who they are. Maybe that's what the young people need to get them off of MTV. Then no one would care about MTV. Cause I'm pretty sure only 15-21 year olds that buy into MTV being cool actually think MTV is cool.

EbDawson
10-27-2006, 12:00 PM
VH1Classic isn't bad, they do play videos, lots of stuff from the 80's, some metal. And I actually remember the 80's when MTV played videos nonstop, 24 hours. Helped me get thru college. Won't go near the channel today.

Hardrock69
10-27-2006, 12:33 PM
My mention of Skillet really has nothing to do with them being "Christian".

I was just pointing out the stupidty of the name.

What is next, "Saucepan"?
:rolleyes:

redfire
10-27-2006, 10:16 PM
That's fine, but the name of the band really doesn't have anything to do with anything does it? I believe there was something about Led Zepplin and their name being made fun (insert sarcasim here). Do some groups have stupid names? Of course, I mean Butthole Surfers... Yeah, that's just ridiculous. But you said you wouldn't even listen to them based on their name, and that's fine. I don't care, but I think that's being shortsighted to say you would listen to them based soley on their name. Just from an arguments standpoint. If I see some commercial for a band, I just listen to the clip of their music they're playing, and if I think it sucks, I wont listen to them. But truth be told, I don't buy anything from "current" artists. Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Vai, Satch, Marty Friedman, those are kind of artists I buy music of. And that's because I don't like punk/alternative music.

Personally, I don't care if anyone has anything against a band based on it's religion or whatever. It doesn't affect me. But a band's name is as meaningless as their attempt to make their lyrics "really speak to people." Bands write music, and record albums to make money (albeit, the money is really made on the tour). And if their music was about helping people, or trying to say something socially or politically motivated, they'd give their cd's away. Not every band says that bs, but some of them are stupid enough to. The point is a band's name is pointless, and generally overthought. I'm sure Skillet means something to them, and I don't care what it means. And even if it doesn't mean anything to them, I still don't care. But that's me.