X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VanJay011379
    Roadie
    • Jan 2004

Jimmy Page's dubious recording history

I've posted this in several other message boards and the reaction is usually split right down the middle.

What does everyone here think?

An even more devastating link is at http://www.warr.org/zep.html

Also, if you want to hear the original "Dazed and Confused" Zeppelin "wrote", listen to the Jake Holmes version at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5O25GDOH

You can hear where Zeppelin got "Whole Lotta Love" as well. Listen to the following of the Small Faces covering Willie Dixon's "You Need Love" at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HNL5H5RX
    Last edited by VanJay011379; 10-27-2006, 03:37 PM.
  • DrMaddVibe
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Yeah he borrowed from other artists. They later were sued and lost in court for royalities.

My take on the music world is you're going to borrow from your own personal influences when the rubber hits the road and you have to write original tunes.

For every song that's mentioned in that article I could mention 5 that Led Zeppelin recorded without "ripping off" anyone.

The article does nothing but make me want to listen to "Truth" again.
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• ODShowtime
      ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Led Zeppelin's uniqueness was all about feel and recording techniques in '69. They needed material to showcase those skills.

Don't even tell me his amazing, platinum selling production style was a rip-off too.

Once they had a little time to jam and write, they were fine.

In my opinion, The Song Remains The Same, Kashmir and Achilles Last Stand more than vindicate any "creative borrowing" that may have occured in the early days.
      gnaw on it

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Sure, Zep recycled a lot of blues riffs, mainly on the first two albums, but they put out amazing original shit like Hots On For Nowhere, Stairway To Heaven, Ten Years Gone and the like that, IMO, far surpass the stuff they borrowed/copped old blues riffs for.

Virtually every artist gets influenced by something or someone. Fuck, had it not been for Whole Lotta Love, I'd be willing to bet there'd be a lot less fuckers out there who even knew who Willie Dixon WAS.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Matt White
          • Jun 2004

Silly, silly thread

JIMMY PAGE is the WAGNER of rock

Comment

• rustoffa
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

"You need Cooool-Aid..."

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Hey!

Dont fuck with Mr Page !!
                BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

I have an entire cd of songs that either were the original tune in it's entirety, or where various riffs were lifted and used in Led Zep tunes.

For instance, the drum intro to Rock 'n' Roll was from a Little Richard song.

Comment

• BrownSound1
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Mar 2003

The thing is, especially when talking blues based things, is those songs that you mention all were borrowed from something else by the "original" writers.

I think Jimmy Page has done more for rock overall, than just about any other player out there, and I'm including Hendrix, Beck, Clapton, and EVH in that too.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Let's not forget Van Halen played cover tunes in the early days as well. Their first hit "You Really Got Me" was a remake of a Kinks song.

When bands first break into their own fame they play other people's songs. Why? Because people in the clubs want to hear songs they know or the club owners want those songs. On the club circut playing existing material is what makes money, not playing Jazz Oddity for the whole evening. LOL!

What's the big deal. The guys in Zepplin always addmitted they borrowed heavily from American Rythum and Blues. Page admits to slowing the records down to learn the licks.

Big deal, they borrowed and learned like we all do.

There's a zillion different kinds of pizza. Some dude made the original one and then people started copying it, refining it, redesigning it. Now there's a huge sellection. Music is that way, or used to be when music was good.LOL!
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                        Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Christ...everything about rock n roll was ripped off from the old blues and jazz and soul artists. That's how music fucking EVOLVES, babay!!!! It's all good.
                        Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Everyone borrows, so what?

There's a difference between borrowing and ripping-off!

How many times have you heard the same riff, but used differently?

The problem is not Page's "dubious" history" but the notion that a great musician has to wholly original, when in fact it impossible to not be influenced by what's going on around you....
                          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• VanJay011379
                            Roadie
                            • Jan 2004

The issue everyone is overlooking is Jimmy (and Zep) wrote their names as writing credits when they actually were covering songs from other artists at times.

"Dazed and Confused" is a clear case. Zeppelin did not write that song. Fact! The original was written by Jake Holmes and the Yardbirds (w/ Page) covered it.

Also, Jimmy has blocked several Yardbirds releases that contain material (i.e. D&C and another) that appear on later Zeppelin albums.

Its tough to take a side as Jimmy obviously did do a lot on his own but he also blatenly stole some material like D&C. There's a difference between being influenced and clearly taking another's work and placing your name on it.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

I didn't overlook it. I stated that they were taken to court and lost.

So was Vanilla Ice too. You gonna make a big stink about him too?
                              http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                              http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

Working...