PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Hunter to Run in '08

LoungeMachine
10-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Republican California congressman set to launch White House bid
The Associated Press

Published: October 30, 2006

SAN DIEGO The Republican chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, Duncan Hunter, plans to announce Monday that he's considering a presidential run in the 2008 election, according to a Republican official.

Hunter spokesman Joe Kasper would not comment on Hunter's plans, other than to say that he would be holding a news conference on the waterfront in San Diego on Monday regarding electoral plans for 2008.

Hunter told Fox News Channel Sunday, "I'm going to make an announcement about a national campaign in '08." He didn't elaborate, other than to say it would be made from the waterfront "where I started my humble career in 1980."

If the Democrats win a majority in the House of Representatives on Nov. 7 — they need to gain 15 seats to do so — Hunter would lose his chairmanship.

A Republican official said Hunter planned to announce that he was forming an exploratory committee, which would allow him to begin raising money and organizing supporters. The official didn't want to speak on the record ahead of Hunter's announcement.

Hunter's plans came as a surprise to leadership in the Republican Party in Washington. He had not been discussed as one of the many candidates considering a presidential bid, among them Senators John McCain of Arizona, Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney and former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani.

The Vietnam War veteran, a recipient of a Bronze Star, has made his mark during his 26 years in Congress by advocating for a strong military and border security.

He played a leading role in the construction of a 14-mile (22-kilometer) double fence on the U.S.-Mexico border that is nearing completion in San Diego. He co-authored legislation signed by President George W. Bush last week that would extend the border fence to 700 miles, or about 1,100 kilometers.

Hunter voted against the North American Free Trade Agreement and opposed the global General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade and most-favored-nation trading status for China. This year, he was a vocal critic of a deal that gave a Dubai company control of some operations at six American ports.

Hunter has cruised to re-election since he, as a 32-year-old criminal defense attorney, rode Ronald Reagan's coattails to unseat a nine-term Democratic incumbent. The Riverside native faces token opposition next week in his bid for another term representing San Diego's eastern suburbs.

Guitar Shark
10-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Interesting. I'll add this to the presidential candidates thread.

FORD
10-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Aside from his decent votes against the globalist trade issues, Hunter is just another Republican shill who consistently votes against the middle class (http://www.drummajorinstitute.com/congress/drum-major-voting-summary.php?name=Hunter&state=CA&database=house) and stabs his fellow veterans in the back. (http://www.taylormarsh.com/archives_view.php?id=24193)

LoungeMachine
10-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Interesting. I'll add this to the presidential candidates thread.

Shit, sorry Sharky...

Thanks, and I'll close this.

:cool: