X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hummarstra
    Commando
    • Feb 2004

Reunion apathy

I don't know. It just seems weird, ya know, to see everybody get all excited about a possible reunion. I mean, CVH means more to me than ANY music, but I feel it happened and now its over. But, now we're sqeezing blood from a rock here. The focus should be on the old records. They'll be regarded as landmark albums forever. I know many on this board feel Dave still has the pipes and Ed can still play, but I fervently disagree and feel a reunion tour will be a disaster musically, personally between band members, and will further scar VH's already (albeit unfairly) tainted legacy. Remember the bickering between Sam and Dave on their tour? Don't you think the same mudslinging will inevitably happen between Ed, Alex and Dave? These guys hate eachother for Christ's sake. And all the media is gonna care about is the dirty laundry. Anyway, I never thought I would say this, but if the reunion tour comes to my town I'm gonna stay home and put the old records on and, like a have a thousand times, listen in wonderment at Ed's playing and Dave's singing and know, really know, that these are the greatest rock and roll records I've ever heard, absolutely the greatest.
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Suppose all I can hope for at this point is that if there isn't gonna be any new music, at the very least CVH could do an oldies-tour after being VERY WELL REHEARSED.

I'll tell ya, Dave's solo live bands he's played with over the last several years have fuckin' COOKED live. And I wasn't overwhelmed with what I heard of the 2004 tour. Ain't gonna be a case of Ed, Al and whoever ends up playing bass thinking they're doing us a favor by showing up. Going through the motions won't cut it.

Beyond that, can't be bothered with if they're getting along or not. The band and Hagar got along great for most of the Van Hagar years, and produced a bunch of piffle.

Roth and the band had friction from day one, and came up with legendary shit. Maybe the Van Halens just need to be kicked in the ass by someone who is immune to their stardom. Someone who was there from the beginning, and isn't gonna be impressed just by the fact that he's sharing the stage with the once-legendary Eddie Van Halen.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• diamondsgirl
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2004

Re: Reunion apathy

Originally posted by Hummarstra
      . Remember the bickering between Sam and Dave on their tour? Don't you think the same mudslinging will inevitably happen between Ed, Alex and Dave? These guys hate eachother for Christ's sake. And all the media is gonna care about is the dirty laundry. .
      It won't be like Sam and Dave. The whole spirit of that tour was competition. Dave marketed that thing like it was a wrestling match. That was 100% intentional and part of the draw.

I think Ed and Dave will be OK because they are both sticking their middle fingers up to Hagar. They both know that this tour has to be more successful than the 2004 Van Hagar tour. Their reputations ride on it.
      “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Dave still has the pipes to get it done, certainly not like he used to, but he can still sing. And Ed can play, when he's not being a fucking pathetic drunk. The 2004 sound-check boots showed that.

However, I tend to think if "Van Halen" was really interested in doing something worthwhile, creative, and more than just a summer whoreathon, than they'd get back with bassplayer, "finish what they started" (uhuhuhuhuhuhhhuhuhuh!) in 2000-2002, and put out an album and prepare a studio/live package box-set.

But that would take actual work, and that would interfere with Edwad's three-bottle-of-wine-a-day and meph habit. That would take personal discipline, and a guy that doesn't have the mentality of a late-period Roman Emperor with wine-induced lead poisoning.....

Comment

• Bo Nozos
          Roadie
          • Jun 2005

I think they really squandered the opportunity to do something special back in 1996.

Now Ed plays like ass and the soap opera and dysfunction has become almost as big as the music.

It'll be bigger than the AssClown Tour of 2004, but that's not really saying much.

Comment

• yah
            Head Fluffer
            • Jan 2006

This seems like their last chance to really do it....even if it's a quick blast through The U.S.A.
            It can be really good....Dave's vocals have improved over the past few yrs and the band could get really tight with months left to rehearse.

This tour can vindicate Vh to a small degree.....especially if they kick ass

Comment

• rockhead
              Roadie
              • Jan 2006

I agree.Their last chance was in 96, i think they realise this is their last chance its now or never, and if its no new material it will just go down as a nostalia tour.

Comment

Working...