• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Awaiting the OJ, I mean Saddam Verdict

Sunday, 5 November 2006, 01:11 GMT

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Tense Iraq awaits Saddam verdict

Fresh checkpoints have been erected to check traffic for threats
    Stringent security measures have been imposed on Baghdad as Iraqis wait to learn if their former leader Saddam Hussein will face the death penalty.
    An Iraqi court is due to rule in Saddam Hussein's trial for alleged crimes committed during his tenure.

Fearing violence from his Sunni Arab supporters, the government has imposed a curfew on Baghdad and nearby provinces and cancelled all army leave.

Few Iraqis think the trial verdict will ease conflict, our correspondent says.

Almost three years since Saddam Hussein was captured, soaring sectarian violence has brought Iraq to the brink of civil war.

Even those Iraqis who want to see their former leader dead do not believe his execution will make things any better, the BBC's Andrew North in Baghdad says.

Death penalty

Many critics have dismissed the trial as a form of victors' justice, given the close attention the US has paid to it.

Saddam Hussein faced trial on charges of crimes against humanity

Lawyers for Saddam Hussein have also accused the government of interfering in the proceedings - a complaint backed by US group, Human Rights Watch.

The former leader's lawyers have also attacked the timing of the planned verdict - days before the US votes in mid-term elections.

US President George W Bush's Republican Party is at risk of losing control of Congress in part because of voter dissatisfaction over its handling of the Iraq conflict.

The former Iraqi leader and co-defendants are accused of ordering the deaths of 148 Shias in 1982 in the village of Dujail, following an assassination attempt on Saddam Hussein.

The charge carries the death penalty, which is likely to be enforced by hanging - although Saddam Hussein has said in court that he would rather be executed by firing squad.

A second trial, for the former leader's crackdown on Iraq's Kurdish community, has yet to reach a conclusion.

Sunni Arab support

In a televised speech on Saturday, Nouri Maliki, Iraq's Shia Arab prime minister, said he hoped Saddam Hussein would get "what he deserves" for "crimes against the Iraqi people".

Nouri Maliki has called for calm ahead of the verdict

Our correspondent says Mr Maliki's statement provoked some surprise, given the continuing sectarian violence in Iraq.

Mr Maliki said Iraqis should mark the verdict in a way that "does not risk their lives".

A guilty verdict is widely expected against Saddam Hussein and his co-defendants, and the government fears his supporters among Iraq's Sunni Arab community will react violently.

Sunni Arabs have also supplied the backbone of Iraq's insurgency, launching attacks on Shia Muslims and US troops.

Restive province

Sunday's security measures include a curfew in Baghdad, a city of six million people, that bans all vehicle and pedestrian traffic banned.

The city's civilian airport will also remain closed.

Three nearby provinces, including Salahuddin, which contains Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit, are also being put under curfew.

Correspondents say a violent reaction would not be surprising in Salahuddin, north of Baghdad, nor in Anbar to the west of the capital - where no curfew has been announced.

The BBC's Hugh Sykes in Baghdad says it will be hard to enforce a curfew in Anbar as many of Saddam's former police, senior army officers and Baath Party officials lived in the two main towns there - Falluja and the provincial capital Ramadi.

But elsewhere, especially in Kurdish and Shia areas, there may be celebrations if Saddam Hussein is found guilty as when his two sons were killed, our correspondent says.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Saddam Hussein sentenced to death by hanging

I'm out of order?? No, you're out of order, and you're out of order and this whole Allah-damned court is out of order!!

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A combative Saddam Hussein was sentenced Sunday to death by hanging for his role in a brutal crackdown nearly 25 years ago in Dujail -- the once obscure Iraqi town that is now a symbol of his regime's cruelty.

Also sentenced to death were Barzan Hassan, Saddam Hussein's half-brother and former head of the intelligence agency, and Awad Bandar, the former chief judge of the Revolutionary Court.

Taha Yassin Ramadan, the former vice president of Iraq, was sentenced to life in prison.

"This is very clear, and I tell the people today that the verdict was predetermined and has nothing to do with court proceedings," Ramadan said.

Mohammed Azzawi Ali, a former Dujail Baath Party official, was acquitted because of insufficient evidence against him, the court said.

The three others -- Abdullah Kadhem Ruwaid, Ali Dayem Ali and Misher Abdullah Ruwaid -- were sentenced to 15 years.

The 50-minute session was dramatic. Hussein entered with a Quran in hand, as he had in the past.

Hussein argued with the chief judge, shouting, "You are the servants of the occupiers."

He began yelling Allahu Akhbar -- God is great -- as the verdict and sentencing was read. "Don't push me, boy," he said after the judge ordered him taken away.

Bandar also screamed Allahu Akhbar as he was being taken out of court.

The verdicts come nearly three years after U.S.-led forces plucked Hussein out of hiding and just a few days before U.S. midterm elections, with the Iraqi war at center stage.

The defendants filed into the courtroom one by one to receive their sentences from a five-judge panel.

Defense attorney Ramsey Clark was also in court, but he was soon ousted by judges. The court asked Clark to leave, saying he had come here from America to mock the Iraqi people and this court.

The tribunal met in Baghdad to render verdicts for the co-defendants for their roles in a systematic attack on the Shiite town of Dujail after someone tried to assassinate Hussein during a visit on July 8, 1982. (Watch scenes from Dujail crackdown, Baghdad preparations -- 3:20Video)

The tribunal met amid heavy security and sweeping curfews in Baghdad and elsewhere, as authorities brace for violent reactions to the verdicts. (Full story)

About 2,000 protesters in Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit on Sunday defied the government's curfew and demonstrated in support of the former leader.

A witness said the protesters carried posters of the former president and were shooting into the air.

The numbers of demonstrators grew after the sentence was announced. A complete movement ban -- both people and vehicles -- was imposed on Sunday in the provinces of Baghdad, Diyala and Salaheddin -- where Tikrit is located.

The Baghdad International Airport also shut down until further notice.

Each defendant found guilty can appeal. The sentences of life imprisonment and death allow for an automatic appeal.

There is no limit on how long the appellate judges have to review the case file, but the statute states that a death sentence should be carried out within 30 days after all appeals are exhausted.
    Outbursts and walkouts

The Dujail trial, the first in what is a series of proceedings against former regime officials, began October 19, 2005, and ended July 27. It was a turbulent courtroom battle witnessed on TV across the globe.

It was marked by outbursts and harangues from Hussein and his co-defendants, lawyer walkouts, much-criticized court actions, and complaints from lawyers about poor security. There were grave concerns about security for legal teams and their families; three defense lawyers were killed. (Full story)

Witness testimony and prosecutors got their case across, however. According to court documents, the military, political and security apparatus in Iraq and Dujail killed, arrested, detained and tortured men, women and children in the town. Homes were demolished and orchards were razed.

The Revolutionary Court sentenced 148 males to death, with Saddam's signature ratifying the order.

But there were other deaths as well -- nine people were killed during the destruction of orchards, and many of the 399 people who had been detained were either killed or remain missing.

Hussein, Hassan and Ramadan were charged with willful killing, deportation or forcible transfer of population; imprisonment or other severe deprivation of physical liberty in violation of fundamental norms of law; torture; enforced disappearance of persons, and other inhumane acts of a similar character intentionally causing great suffering; or serious injury to the body or to the mental or physical health.

Bandar was charged with willful killing by issuing the death sentences for the 148 people.

The remaining defendants are lower-level Baath Party officials from Dujail, who were charged with informing on residents who later died in prison or were sentenced to death.

CNN's Jomana Karadsheh and Joe Sterling contributed to this report.

Find this article at:
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BigBadBrian
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Liberals are weeping all across the USA today.
      “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
        Look at the hateful, angry Neocon...

Comment

• BigBadBrian
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
          Look at the hateful, angry Neocon...
          How weak.
          “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Yes, much like your mind.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian

At the 12 US Military deaths this month already?

Yes, we are.

Comment

• bueno bob
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

I'm actually amazed they managed to come up with a verdict at all, considering how often the case got derailed by his antics. I will say that he's definitely earned it, I'm just hopeful this isn't going to place him into a position of martyrdom among his fanbase. That could turn things in Iraq even uglier, to be honest about it. Nobody wants that, or at least nobody should want that...
                Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
                  I'm actually amazed they managed to come up with a verdict at all, considering how often the case got derailed by his antics. I will say that he's definitely earned it, I'm just hopeful this isn't going to place him into a position of martyrdom among his fanbase. That could turn things in Iraq even uglier, to be honest about it. Nobody wants that, or at least nobody should want that...

How did we get on the subject of Ed and Mike again?

Comment

• blueturk
                    Veteran
                    • Jul 2004

For the next two days Dubya will pummel us with "Look! I did it! The war is worth it! I know what I'm doing!" or words to that effect. Just don't expect him to mention bin Laden....

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Bottom line...

Hussein should have been assassinated in that fucking hole of his...period...

this fucking sham of a fucking trial is ridiculous.

You want to know 1 reason why this war is still going on?

Watch this nimrod on TV...

it's fucking pathetic.

They should have fucking dropped in a bunch of black fucking widow spiders into that fucking hole...

or better yet...

a few mothers of some of the soldiers that have died...

what a cunt world we live in...

fucking joke...
                      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

How about some of you fucking look at this outside of all that...

jesus christ...

does every topic in here have to get fucking boring...
                        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• blueturk
                          Veteran
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                          How about some of you fucking look at this outside of all that...

jesus christ...

does every topic in here have to get fucking boring...
                          Somehow I doubt if any of the mothers of dead soldiers you mentioned find this topic boring, since their sons or daughters died because of Bush's personal grudge against Saddam. Not WMD's and not 9/11 connections. Not even to start a democracy. Just because Bush wanted Saddam out of there. This whole "trial" is more of a huge bitch-slap from Dubya to Hussein than an actual legal proceeding.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                            Saddam Hussein sentenced to death by hanging
                            Yeah, and no coincidence with the timing of this announcement, huh ??
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                              Yeah, and no coincidence with the timing of this announcement, huh ??

Are you implying the "court" is influenced by this administration?

:eek:

Regime change and ultimate justice for Saddam and his henchmen did not require 2,800 US Deaths, 100's of thousands of Iraqi deaths, and 300 billion dollars.

It also didnt require 3 or more years of occupation.

I wonder how many times Chimpy will show off Saddam's revolver today.

Comment

Working...