PDA

View Full Version : Concert

Dr. Dave
11-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Is anyone going to see Montrose this Friday night? They are playing in Santa Clara at the Avalon. The band is featuring Ronnie (of course), Keith St. John on vox, Ricky Phillips on Bass and Jimmy DeGrasso on drums.

That is one serious line up!

Maybe I will see you there?

bueno bob
11-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Ricky Phillips and Jimmy DeGrasso? You mean they can't get REAL work anywhere?

Well, with Ricky Phillips being in Styx, I guess the answer there is self-apparent...

Dr. Dave
11-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Ronnie Montrose is a living legend. If you were a musician you would jump at the chance to play with someone like that.

bueno bob
11-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Dave
Ronnie Montrose is a living legend. If you were a musician you would jump at the chance to play with someone like that.

I am a musician, and I have no desire at all to play bass for Ronnie Montrose, thanks.

My point was this:

Ricky Phillips and Jimmy DeGrasso are filling into the spots previously held by Todd Jensen and Deen Castronovo...rhythm section for hire...

Now if you have a problem with that issue, address THAT issue, but don't take it as an attack of some sort on your hero Ronnie Montrose.

Thank you.

Dr. Dave
11-07-2006, 07:13 PM
First off - You immplied that working with Montrose is not "REAL" work. How else could I take that?

Secondly - Ronnie is not my hero. HE is however one of the greatest in my useless opinion.

Third - Jimmy has been playing with Ronnie for 3 years. The Roth tour finishes up on Wednesday show is on Friday.

Lastly - Ricky is just filling in for David Ellefson who had a previous commitment.

No worries man......Just wanted to see if anyone was going. Peace!

blonddgirl777
11-07-2006, 07:28 PM
I'll have a nice cup with you, Bob! :)

bueno bob
11-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Dave
First off - You immplied that working with Montrose is not "REAL" work. How else could I take that?

Secondly - Ronnie is not my hero. HE is however one of the greatest in my useless opinion.

Third - Jimmy has been playing with Ronnie for 3 years. The Roth tour finishes up on Wednesday show is on Friday.

Lastly - Ricky is just filling in for David Ellefson who had a previous commitment.

No worries man......Just wanted to see if anyone was going. Peace!

Working with Ronnie Montrose may or may not be "real" work, in so far as that's concerned...but I do consider Phillips and DeGrasso players above the local club circuit...as to Ronnie Montrose's guitar skills, he's good, but...I won't get into apples and oranges about him. I think he's good, yes, but not much my taste in so far as a lot of his recorded output is concerned...half of it's OK, the other half is shit...my opinion only, of course...

I wasn't aware that DeGrasso had been playing with him for that long, thanks for clearing that up for me. Ellefson's with him too, hunh? Interesting.

Ricky Phillips I won't even discuss because of my all-consuming hatred of all things Styx since 1999...

Hope you have a good time, dude.

bueno bob
11-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777
I'll have a nice cup with you, Bob! :)

Sounds good! One sugar or two?

blonddgirl777
11-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Sounds good! One sugar or two?

None... otherwise it's not a "calm down" anymore!

bueno bob
11-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I could throw in a pinch of honey and it could be "Sweet Relaxation"...

:)

Dr. Dave
11-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Like I said, No worries!

I prefer Ronnies early works with Van Morrison, Edgar and the first two Montrose records. I think that work was incredible. Can't say I am a big fan of his experimental stuff. Different strokes I guess. Unfortunetly, Ronnies decision to get out of rock hurt his carrer to a point that he can only play mid-size clubs now. Too bad, I guess. Great for fans of old Montrose though. That is all he plays now. Classic rock in a small(ish) venue can be magical.

I too hate Styx, but dig the way Ricky plays. Especially the stuff in the Baby's and most recently on the Coverdale /Page CD.

I too play and you know as well as I that when you play with great musicians live it is a true rush. My guess is that is what draws some of the "above the local club circuit" players back.

Hardrock69
11-08-2006, 01:37 AM
I would love to see him. Also Y & T. Never seen either.

**sigh**