PDA

View Full Version : We need an independant energy program that's the caliber of the Apollo space project

Nitro Express
11-09-2006, 12:10 AM
It all starts with a vision and a goal. I'm sure many people thought John F. Kennedy was off his nut when he said we would land a man on the moon and safely return him to the earth before the decade of the 1960's ended.

Amazingly we accomplished this goal and the spinoff technology includes many things we enjoy today including the computer you are reading this on.

I'm glad to see the new Democratic house leader has independant energy for the US as a high priority. We need to push this issue hard. I see energy as being one of the major issues of the world we live in today. Not only does the old way of doing things have environmental consequences that may have very seriouse impacts on life as we know it, it's a economic and national security issue.

The time is ripe to get the govt. and the scientific community behind a Manattan Project or Apollo Moon Landing caliber independant energy project.

The dept. of energy already has some neat technology that the Chinese are using but we aren't. New safer nuclear reactors. Clean burning coal power plants. Wind energy. Using tides to generate energy.

The key to it all is cheap electricity. Once we have cheap electricity, we can have cheap and available hydrogen.

We need to look at what's available realistically and wholistically and see what can be done.

Nothing will say fuck you to the Islamic nutcases that hate us so much as not buying their oil anymore.

I'm all for it! Why we still stay on the same old energy sources is there hasn't been much motivation to get off of them. It's time for some new radical thinking. I mean, this could mean survival of our country or even the planet.

Hardrock69
11-09-2006, 01:13 AM
IF I could cut the flow of oil from the Middle East with no change in consumption in the US I would do it so fast they would not know what happened.

I am in total agreement.

ANY alternative renewable energy is a good thing.

If we had more efficient solar panels, etc. it would RULE!

I would LOVE to live off the grid, but right now it is not feasible for me for a variety of reasons.

Let's see how it goes with the Democrats ruling Washington.

Nitro Express
11-09-2006, 04:29 PM
My biggest fear is Washington has an uncanny way of corrupting even good people. Big oil and the Bilderbergs will be there greasing palms just like they did to Republicans. Politicians are amazingly the same nomatter what they stand for and all of them are human and corruptable.

As long as there is big special intrest money in Washington, the little guy is always out gunned that way. The little guys voted the same way enough to make a difference. Let's hope we don't find ourselves having to send the sam message to the Democrats in eight years for the same reasons.

FORD
11-20-2006, 02:27 AM
Maybe if we could get the Beatles back together, it would be enough to draw attention to the problem.........

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPJkVqBGAKE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPJkVqBGAKE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Ellyllions
11-20-2006, 08:00 AM
Well, lots of things have to happen before we can see bio-fuels actually work in this country. Big oil and all of it's investors have to let go of their monster incoming cash flow, vehicle manufacturers have to make flex-fuel or bio-only vehicles, people have to buy them, and pumps for that fuel has to be readily accessible. Doesn't sound hard, but behind all of it is the curtain deals made between big oil and it's investors as well as vehicle manufacturers. Getting all of that squashed will be one HELL of a job.

We keep hearing about corn as a source of ethanol, but I can't understand why we haven't heard more being done about ethanol production from Sugar Cane. Sugar cane production would give states like LA, MS, and FLA the recovery money they're sucking from the taxpayers.

FORD
11-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Ellyllions

We keep hearing about corn as a source of ethanol, but I can't understand why we haven't heard more being done about ethanol production from Sugar Cane. Sugar cane production would give states like LA, MS, and FLA the recovery money they're sucking from the taxpayers.

The reason why they're pushing corn as fuel is the same reason that poison known as "high fructose corn syrup" is now in your Coca Cola, and damn near every other commercial product that is sweetened to any degree.

It's the huge agro-businesses like Monsanto and Archer Daniels Midland who are producing all that corn, and these days most of it is the genetically modified corn (supposedly pest resistant without chemicals).

Corn can grow just about anywhere, which of course allows these huge mega companies to maximize their profits, while something like sugar cane would only be viable in a few states, which is why they stopped using cane sugar for the purpose God intended it for - sweetening food - let alone alternative fuels, even though the project has proven very successful in Brazil.

Of course there are existing farms in some southern states where sugar cane would probably do well, if you could encourage the farmers to switch over from the crop they're now growing, which provides nothing at all useful to the world. That would be the tobacco farms, of course. Provided it's just the independent farmers involved though. The LAST thing this country needs is Phillip Morris involved in the alternative energy business.

PlexiBrown
11-20-2006, 02:55 PM
There is no need to worry about anything anymore because seconds before the original Van Halen lineup takes the stage for the first time since 1984 a giant meteor is going to crash into the earth and wipe us all out. The only humans to survive will be Eddie and Dave.....together forever at last.

LoungeMachine
11-20-2006, 03:14 PM
The time for this was 09.12.01

Because we had the country, as well as the WORLD behind us.

This government could have spent TENS OF BILLIONS on this, instead of nation building in the middle east, with better results.

But no, we had to have a fucking Cowboy with daddy-love issues go on a fucking Jihad with our military.

And what do we have to show for it?

knuckleboner
11-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

And what do we have to show for it?

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blsaddamunderwear.htm
?

LoungeMachine
11-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blsaddamunderwear.htm
?

George went to Iraq
And all I got was
this Red X

LoungeMachine
11-20-2006, 04:11 PM
image file is of Saddam in his underwear...I guess

Removing Saddam didn't require:

3,00 dead American Servicemen [and women]

50,000 wounded

Countless Civilians

300 Billion Dollars

The moral high ground as leader of The Free World

Becoming the Country that dismisses The Geneva Convention and Habeus Corpus

Occupying a country 4 years after invading, with no exit strategy in place.

What a waste......

"Regime Change", had that been the real focus, was easy.....

The Inspectors like Hans Blix should have been listened to.

Maybe could have even had the resources to find a sick, on-dialysis, 6 foot 4 inch lumbering man with 200 body guards.......and at least ask him for his CIA Badge back....

knuckleboner
11-21-2006, 08:08 AM
yep, it was supposed to be saddam in his underwear. all that for saddam in his underwear.

though, i suppose a red x is just as good...

scamper
11-21-2006, 08:16 AM
The time for this was 09.12.01

Because we had the country, as well as the WORLD behind us.

I must have been sleeping while this was going on. The world has never been behind us, and the country has been divided for years.

Steve Savicki
11-21-2006, 10:10 AM
An independent energy program for an independent political faction perhaps?

LoungeMachine
11-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by scamper
I must have been sleeping while this was going on. The world has never been behind us, and the country has been divided for years.

:rolleyes:

Chimpy had a 92% approval rating and they were holding candlelight vigils in our honor in fucking TEHRAN :rolleyes:

Are you stupid?

scamper
11-21-2006, 06:47 PM
:rolleyes:

Chimpy had a 92% approval rating and they were holding candlelight vigils in our honor in fucking TEHRAN :rolleyes:

Are you stupid?

Not stupid enough to think that the country was 92% behind Bush, and the world had our back.

scamper
11-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Besides what does one have to do with the other...."hey we just got attacked, lets get an alternative energy source".

LoungeMachine
11-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by scamper
Besides what does one have to do with the other...."hey we just got attacked, lets get an alternative energy source".

DUH

We just attacked by Radical Fundamentalists who happen to be funded BY OUR OIL DOLLARS...............:mad:

Jesus, you are stupid.:rolleyes:

scamper
11-22-2006, 05:06 AM
DUH

We just attacked by Radical Fundamentalists who happen to be funded BY OUR OIL DOLLARS...............:mad:

Jesus, you are stupid.:rolleyes:

Oh, now I get it. I still believe that more people in the world than not were glad it happened.

svrwthr
11-22-2006, 10:07 PM
I skipped 90% of this thread.

WE DO NOT creatively proceed to cheaper alternatives because of one thing. GREED.

It is not out of reach to have a cheap assed power tomorrow but if the money is not there, neither is the people that can create the cheaper alternative. The working man/woman need to do this for themselves and be creative. But once greed hits them, they sell out.

I have an idea for an alternative power supply for single home usage. The only thing is I dont have the money to build it nor a Barn to fit the thing into. I know it will work. I also know that I can power atleast 8 - 16 120 volt appliances and 2 240 volt devices using my idea. NO BARN though. You can all pass me the cash flow at my paypal account.