• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob_R
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Waiting begins for Matsuzaka bidders

Waiting begins for Matsuzaka bidders
    Posted: Thursday November 9, 2006 12:19AM; Updated: Thursday November 9, 2006 1:54AM

NEW YORK (AP) -- The waiting began Wednesday for teams that bid for Japanese pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka.

His Japanese club, the Pacific League's Seibu Lions, said they have been notified of the highest bid for the 26-year-old right-hander. They said they will not make a decision on whether to accept until after a meeting of their board of directors -- not expected to be held before Friday at the earliest.

The New York Yankees, New York Mets, Boston Red Sox, Chicago Cubs and Texas Rangers were thought to be among the teams that bid for Matsuzaka, but the major league commissioner's office instructed teams not to comment publicly, several clubs said.

The Yankees' involvement was confirmed by a baseball official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the directive. Prior to the directive, the Rangers had said they planned to bid.

The major league commissioner's office, which opened the bidding last Thursday, informed the Japanese commissioner's office of the amount of the highest bid, but not the club that made the offer. The team and the amount will be revealed only if the Lions accept the offer.

Seibu has until Tuesday to make its decision. When outfielder Ichiro Suzuki was posted by the Orix BlueWave in November 2000, the BlueWave announced the day after bidding closed that it accepted an offer of $13,125,000, and the U.S. commissioner's office revealed a few hours later that the Seattle Mariners had the winning bid. Suzuki agreed a few weeks later to a $14 million, three-year contract.

Once an offer is accepted, the major league team has 30 days to agree to a contract with Matsuzaka, who is represented by agent Scott Boras. The bid is paid only if a contract is agreed upon.

Matsuzaka, MVP of the World Baseball Classic in March, was 17-5 with a 2.13 ERA and 200 strikeouts for the Lions this year. He throws in the high-90s mph, has good off-speed pitches and is known for his deceptive "gyroball."

Bidding closes Friday for Akinori Iwamura, a third baseman with the Central League's Yakult Swallows.
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!
  • EbDawson
    Veteran
    • Apr 2004

Re: Waiting begins for Matsuzaka bidders

Originally posted by EVH FANATIC

The New York Yankees were thought to be among the teams that bid for Matsuzaka, but the major league commissioner's office instructed teams not to comment publicly, several clubs said.

Steinbreener's in the bidding? You're kidding.

I heard some think this dude may fetch 30 mill. a year. Outrageous.
    "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

I don't think it was 30 million a year...

I think the bid for the rights to sign him could get between 20 and 30 million (which goes to Seibu)...

but he won't be signing a contract for 30 mill a year...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• EbDawson
        Veteran
        • Apr 2004

Oh. That makes sense, I guess.
        "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Hmmmmmm.....

ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney is reporting the Red Sox may have posted the high bid for the right to negotiate with Japanese right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka.

I don't know anything about Matzubukakke.

I guess he's good?
          Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

they SAY he's good...

but they also say that his arm has thrown a buttload of innings...
            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Bob_R
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
              Hmmmmmm.....

ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney is reporting the Red Sox may have posted the high bid for the right to negotiate with Japanese right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka.

I don't know anything about Matzubukakke.

I guess he's good?
              You may be getting to know him better.

Sources: Red Sox may have top Matsuzaka bid
              By Buster Olney
              ESPN The Magazine

The Boston Red Sox may have posted the top bid for the right to negotiate with Japanese right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka, according to Major League Baseball sources.

There has been no official announcement, and the Seibu Lions, Matsuzaka's team in Japan, have until Tuesday to accept or reject the high bid.

But, according to officials monitoring the bidding, the Red Sox bid may be between $38 million and $45 million.

Matsuzaka, who pitched for Japan's World Baseball Classic champions, is considered among the top prospects available this offseason.

If the Lions accept the top bid, the winning bidder has 30 days to reach an agreement with Matsuzaka. If a deal cannot be reached, he would return to the Lions for the 2007 Japanese baseball season.

By 5 p.m. Wednesday, major league teams interested in bidding on the rights to deal with Matsuzaka had to post a sealed bid. Major League Basball then took the highest bid and forwarded only the dollar figure -- not the identity of the team -- to the Seibu Lions.

According to a source within Major League Baseball, as of Friday afternoon, Seibu had not informed MLB officially whether it had accepted the bid.

There are three reasons the deal would make sense for the Red Sox:

• Talent evaluators who have seen Matsuzaka say he's a top of the rotation-quality pitcher who would improve the Red Sox staff.

• If Boston signs him it would effectively plant a Red Sox flag in the growing Far East market.

• By merely winning the bidding the Red Sox would block the Yankees from acquiring Matsuzaka. By signing him, they would gain the same kind of advantage the Yankees gained when they signed Johnny Damon away from Boston.
              Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

38-45 MILLION!!!!!

Just to have the right to sign him?

lmfao...

shit...that's downright Yankeeish...

Comment

• EbDawson
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                  38-45 MILLION!!!!!

Just to have the right to sign him?

lmfao...

shit...that's downright Yankeeish...

Yeah, I heard the figure is 42 Mill. Maybe this more of a end run against George and the Yankees? Now if this 42 gets added to his contract, if they sign him, you're looking at way over 100 mill, easy. Outrageous. Now that 42 goes to the Japanese team I guess but it's still a Red Sox expense.

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

The 42 million just to talk to him...

is more than they offered Damon...

utterly ridiculous...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

But hey, Major League Baseball is better than ever....
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• EbDawson
                        Veteran
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                        The 42 million just to talk to him...

espn is now saying that the figure is 51.1 Million! The story is up over at espn.com

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Hey, you guys think that I should ask Cato for a Dice-K scouting report?
                          Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• EbDawson
                            Veteran
                            • Apr 2004

Still no deal and the deadline is tonight, I believe. Boras playing hardball.

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Dude...what?

They signed a deal late last night after Dice passed his physical...6years/52 Million with incentives...

And Boras got his ass handed to him on this deal...

Comment

Working...