PDA

View Full Version : Intresting "argument"

Mr. Vengeance
11-09-2006, 09:01 PM
I have this discussion with pals from time to time- What is the most important thing in the history of Rock n Roll? There's a lot to choose from. Is it Rock Around the Clock? Elvis? The Beatles? Chuck Berry? Stones? Dylan? Woodstock? The blues guys who inspired rock?

I always come back to one thing- Les Paul. Without that electric guitar he perfected, I don't know what direction music would have taken.

As for musicians, I really look at Bob Dylan. He took the electricity of the Beatles & Stones, (who took their inspiration from guys like Chuck Berry) and added the lyricism and relevance to rock music. But that's just my take....

Terry
11-09-2006, 09:12 PM
One conventional wisdom is that Dylan paved the way for lyrics beyond the type found in run-of-the-mill love songs.

The same wisdom infers that the Beatles boosted the concept of groups writing their own music.

I have little use for Dylan or the Beatles in my own collection - neither are artists I willingly listen to, but they both had an impact on a lot of artists I ended up liking...

I'd be hard pressed to single out one circumstance, artist or invention that was more important to the development of rock than any other. You mention Les Paul, but one could easily throw Leo Fender in there, because the Strat was just as important as the Les Paul. Dylan took his inspiration from Woody Guthrie, and I always dug the Stones way more than the Beatles, blah blah blah...

Big Fat Sammy
11-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Yeah, Dylan made it ok to sing in a rock/pop format about things other than cars and high school chicks.

MAPRamone
11-10-2006, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
Yeah, Dylan made it ok to sing in a rock/pop format about things other than cars and high school chicks.

At this point when everyone's is singing about serious emotions and stuff we could use a few more (good) songs about cars.

SilvioDante
11-10-2006, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by MAPRamone
At this point when everyone's is singing about serious emotions and stuff we could use a few more (good) songs about cars.

With all these guys today running around acting too cool for school, I would love to hear a lyric CLOSE to "You ain't seen nuthin' 'till your down on the muffin."

THAT my friends, is rock and roll!

DrMaddVibe
11-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
[BWhat is the most important thing in the history of Rock n Roll? [/B]

Sex. Innuendo preferably, but lots of it!

Mr. Vengeance
11-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Sex. Innuendo preferably, but lots of it!

I'll buy that as a perfectly legit point. Of course, those old blues guys were all about the pussy too!

Jérôme Frenchise
11-10-2006, 07:02 PM
My take: the most important thing in R'n'R history was that thing that happened in 1968 in recording studios, I still don't know what exactly, but that thing that got rock rid of that shitty sound you had in the music that had been put on record until 1967, you know, that bloody shitty pussy sound, crowned by those faggoty background vocals in choruses...
Maybe Jimi Hendrix and the wizard who conceived his effects?

So, I'd say: Jimi Hendrix. :cool: