X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • squib
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2004

confirmed or denied?

Has it ever been confirmed or denied if Dave wrote any of the lyrics or different lyrics for the same music, on 5150 befor that fat ronald mcdonald bastard came along? My point is if he did, would there be any negotiating room on performing one of those songs say in trade for Yankee Rose? Would there be any interest?
  • svrwthr
    Head Fluffer
    • Oct 2006

can someone confirm what i read a long time ago....i dont know how acurate this is. i remember reading an interview possibly with dave or ed around 85' about the work that was done on the 5150 album with dave. i thought i remember reading he wrote and/or recorded vocals on half or less than half of the album. nyone know any truth to this or remember something close to this being said by one of these guys. i coulda sworn i did along time ago. if so did dave recieve any royalties from

This has some info but not much.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...thr2/Roll1.gif

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The song "Summer Nights" on 5150 was originally titled "Eat Thy Neighbor" presumably with a full set of DLR lyrics. In all probability, about half the music on the album (the half that isn't completely synth pussy shit) was written with Dave, though that doesn't neccessarily mean the lyrics were finished.

But apparently "Summer Nights" was played on a certain type of guitar that Eddie forgot how to play (which is why Van Hagar never played it again after the 86 tour) so don't look for that one to show up on the set list, original lyrics or not.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I would guess that they would have changed the lyrics to avoid writing credits but to me lyrics aren't that big a deal really otherwise I would be an Elvis Costello fan.

The key thing is the melodies. You can have the best music and great lyrics but melodies are the essense of the song.

This irritates the hell out of me when the Van Halen sisters talk shit like 'yeah Roth just wrote the lyrics but we wrote all the music.' It misses out the important point of who wrote the vocal music.

I think Roth did when you compare CVH with EEAS and 5150.

To be fair on the whole there were worse melody writers than Hagar. He came up with some decent pop crap, but he also came up with a lot of shit. I don't know the Van Hagar back catelogue too well but I remember 'The Inside' for example being appalling. NOt to mention the 3 songs they came up with for their last album where I'm still stunned that after all these years Hagar could come up with garbage like that.

i can't really think of a CVH song where Roth failed to come up with a good melody.

Not a perfect example because ironically CVH's biggest hit Jump isn't Roth's finest hour but that's the public for you. Anyhoo even at that compare and contrast with Van Hagar's 'Dreams'.

Think of Dreams, think of how thhe melody of the chorus goes, it totally follows the keyboards so it's Eddies song for better or worse.

Imagine Sammy singing the chorus to Jump following the keyboards.

Might...as...well....jump...I...might...as...well. ..jump.

You see it's not about lyrics at all.

In rock good lyrics are just an added bonus.

Cheers!

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
          The song "Summer Nights" on 5150 was originally titled "Eat Thy Neighbor" presumably with a full set of DLR lyrics. In all probability, about half the music on the album (the half that isn't completely synth pussy shit) was written with Dave, though that doesn't neccessarily mean the lyrics were finished.

But apparently "Summer Nights" was played on a certain type of guitar that Eddie forgot how to play (which is why Van Hagar never played it again after the 86 tour) so don't look for that one to show up on the set list, original lyrics or not.
          Summer Nights is another example.

Chorus again just follows the riff exactly.

It's interesting because I can't see a way how 'Eat thy neighbor' could have so Roth must have had a totally different melody for the chorus.

I'm betting it was better.

Unless it was 'Eat Thy neighbor on the patio'...

Which would defeat my argument a bit because the lyrics would have made it a lot better.

Cheers!

Comment

• DLRdelight!
            Veteran
            • Jul 2004

maybe we will hear those tunes one day

Comment

• SilvioDante
              Head Fluffer
              • Jan 2004

Summer Nights was played on a Steinberger with the TransTrem. Its a locking tremolo that can lock in place to change a songs key. Thats why it sounds like the song drops keys after the intro..
              "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

Comment

• Coyote
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by SilvioDante
                Summer Nights was played on a Steinberger with the TransTrem. Its a locking tremolo that can lock in place to change a songs key. Thats why it sounds like the song drops keys after the intro..
                Although, Ed did have a few Wolfgangs retrofitted with the TransTrem. (Van Cherone's "Fire In The Hole" serving as an example)
                Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Ellyllions
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2006

But apparently "Summer Nights" was played on a certain type of guitar that Eddie forgot how to play.
                  Surely, you can't be serious!:eek:
                  "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

Working...