• Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

VHS, 30, dies of loneliness

By DIANE GARRETT

VHS RIP
    After a long illness, the groundbreaking home-entertainment format VHS has died of natural causes in the United States. The format was 30 years old.

No services are planned.

The format had been expected to survive until January, but high-def formats and next-generation vidgame consoles hastened its final decline.

"It's pretty much over," concurred Buena Vista Home Entertainment general manager North America Lori MacPherson on Tuesday.

VHS is survived by a child, DVD, and by Tivo, VOD and DirecTV. It was preceded in death by Betamax, Divx, mini-discs and laserdiscs.

Although it had been ailing, the format's death became official in this, the video biz's all-important fourth quarter. Retailers decided to pull the plug, saying there was no longer shelf space.

As a tribute to the late, great VHS, Toys 'R' Us will continue to carry a few titles like "Barney," and some dollar video chains will still handle cassettes for those who cannot deal with the death of the format.

Born Vertical Helical Scan to parent JVC of Japan, the tape had a difficult childhood as it was forced to compete with Sony's Betamax format.

After its youthful Betamax battles, the longer-playing VHS tapes eventually became the format of choice for millions of consumers. VHS enjoyed a lucrative career, transforming the way people watched movies and changing the economics of the film biz. VHS hit its peak with "The Lion King," which sold more than 30 million vidcassettes Stateside.

The format flourished until DVDs launched in 1997. After a fruitful career, VHS tapes started to retire from center stage in 2003 when DVDs became more popular for the first time.

Since their retirement, VHS tapes have made occasional appearances in children's entertainment and as a format for collectors seeking titles not released on DVD. VHS continued to make as much as $300 million a year until this year, when studios stopped manufacturing the tapes.

• blonddgirl777
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

My Mom. still owns a VHS... and a turn table (with speakers that have fabric on them)...

We own a VHS too but never use it. How do you get yourself to throw away a perfectly good electronic device, when it's been such a good friend for years?
    Sadly... soon, it'll have to go... it is looking bad there and we need the space!
    http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...oman-movie.jpg
    Originally posted by Nitro Express
    ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
    Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
    [B]... Cooking, I mean Cooking, is men's field...
    http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...i_triangle.jpg
    Originally posted by VanHalener
    ... Fight the Good Fight and Win!...
    Originally posted by FORD
    ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by blonddgirl777
      My Mom. still owns a VHS... and a turn table (with speakers that have fabric on them)...

We own a VHS too but never use it. How do you get yourself to throw away a perfectly good electronic device, when it's been such a good friend for years?
      Sadly... soon, it'll have to go... it is looking bad there and we need the space!
      Putting them old VCRs is like throwing a whole era (and, to some extent, part of your own life) away, in a way.
      I have myself lots of trouble when it comes to getting rid of just anything, including empty matchboxes, so, a turntable or my VCR - which I happen to have replaced 3 years ago for an excellent one (I still have dozens of VHS tapes that I would never give away or put to the trash) is just beyond me.
      Besides, in my high school there's a TV set and a VCR in every classroom, but DVD players are still locked in cupboards so that you have to fetch them and reinstall them all the time...
      And VHS is a pretty convenient format to use in class. OK, image resolution isn't quite the same, but well, you gain time by just sliding and playing your video passage, compared to having to let the Twentieth Century Fox trailer (that you fucking can't skip ) and also browse the still rather slow menus...

Furthermore, I don't feel like buying DVD reissues of every good old tape I have at home, or spend hours and hours downloading ripped copies.

Generally speaking, I never could understand people who will throw stuff away just like that, like saying, "it's over, fuck that, it's old, time for some new stuff".

"New", "new"... I've always waited for the newest technologies to get a little old before setting to them... I'll never be the one who'll dive into novelty head first. "New" is a word that pisses me off in many fields.
      posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
      posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• blonddgirl777
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

... Generally speaking, I never could understand people who will throw stuff away just like that, like saying, "it's over, fuck that, it's old, time for some new stuff"....
        O.M.G.!!!
        You and my husband are the same!!!

So if I understand, we should keep everything we own (and ever owned), rent a storage space for it and make sure it all stays there until we die (knowing very well we won't use it anymore because the NEW STUFF is way better)?

You should see hou place... the attic is full, we have stuff over at my Mom's house, her country house... stuff EVERYWHERE!!!

I think that people that won't throw away old, useless stuff are afraid of letting go of their past...
        ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
        ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

RIP VHS.

You will NOT be missed.

Seriously though, I look back at the whole VHS thing with a lot of memories and fondness.

Much like LPs, its a product of its time (although I still think you get a better sound out of LPs than CDs -- or that its just a different listening experience).

But DVDs have made viewing movies, etc. that much better.

I haven't watched a VHS movie in some 6 years, however, I was still using the format for recording stuff off the TV.

But now we have DVD recorders.
          =V V=
          ole No.1 The finest
          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

I have always had a pair of Hi-Fi Stereo VCRs. That way I could make copies.

I have one in my home entertainment center, and I have one other one that I use to mixsdown my recorded music when I am working on my long-time coming, way overdue first album.

The hard part for me is I have over 800 VHS tapes.

As I buy DVDs, if I have it on VHS, I will put the VHS in a growing pile of tapes I am going to give away or donate.

Then there are those things I want to burn to DVD.

Especially my VHS bootlegs.

I have so much analog stuff it will literally take me years to either get rid of it, or transfer to DVD.

Comment

• Lqskdiver
              Sniper
              • Jun 2004

RIP

Will always have Cheerleader Massacre and Amateur Girls 5.

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                ...a growing pile of tapes...
                See... that's what I mean!
                We've listened to those movies over and over again... can we just move on?

Haaa.... I guess it's a "man thing"!

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

No statment from 8-Track?

Used to love how'd change tracks in the middle of a song.

Reel to Reel was always too cool for the room.

You understand the day will come soon that we look back and LAUGH at the old school CD/DVD technology.
                  Originally posted by Kristy
                  Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                  Originally posted by cadaverdog
                  I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                    No statment from 8-Track?...
                    Talk about "taking up SPACE"!!!

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

... You understand the day will come soon that we look back and LAUGH at the old school CD/DVD technology.
                      That day will come for sure but will WE be there to see it?

Technology speeking (apparently), we have reached a plateau for a while...
                      What we have now will get upgraded, made more user friendly (for the growing boomer's population) and more affordable.
                      Same with communication technologies...

Seriously, if my MP3 player would be any smaller... I wouldn't be able to find it in my make-up case!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2005

It is already here. Blue-Ray and HD DVD are here....

Well, they are still DVDs.

Someday there will be some little fucking 1 inch square cube that will do anything we ask it to...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Someday "downloading" will entail swallowing a microprocessor that will be absorbed by your dna.

It will contain every piece of music and video ever recorded.

Playback will all be internal.

Ask yourself to play Beautiful Girls and it will play in your head.

Ask to see the Pretty Woman video and it will appear in your mind's eye.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Re: VHS, 30, dies of loneliness

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                            [B]

No services are planned.

Actaully a copy of the service is already on ebay

Comment

• bb64
                              Groupie
                              • Jul 2004

No statment from 8-Track?

Used to love how'd change tracks in the middle of a song.
                              ka kunk...lol I remember it well

Comment

Working...