PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buying next week's Doors box set?

Steve Savicki
11-16-2006, 04:14 PM
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7301532&cart=428293289&BAB=G

<center>http://cover6.cduniverse.com/CDUCoverArt/Music/Large/7301532.jpg</center>

SilvioDante
11-16-2006, 05:29 PM
The Doors are quite possibly the most overrated band in the history of rock and roll whose hype is only surpassed by Nirvana's dribble.

Get semi-famous, die in a moronic manner, become a rock god.

Mr Badguy
11-16-2006, 07:39 PM
So it`s just like their six studio albums with bonus tracks and six DVDs of stuff that`s probably mostly previously unreleased?

$150?

For fanatics only.

Is the "Celebration of the Lizard" bonus track the full song cycle or just the name of another song?

Mr Badguy
11-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by SilvioDante
The Doors are quite possibly the most overrated band in the history of rock and roll whose hype is only surpassed by Nirvana's dribble.

I don`t think that`s fair.

They had a pretty unique sound, when you hear one of their songs you know who it is, and that is something only true originals master.

I think you overestimate their legend.

Apart from the big popularity surge they had around fifteen years ago (circa "The Doors" movie), their back catologue doesn`t shift anywhere near the number of copies that, for example, Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd`s do.

Also their musical influence doesn`t over-exert itself in rock either, due to the fact that they weren`t a straight rock group.

Only in the numerous Morrison clones (Ian Astbury, Michael Hutchence etc.) does their influence really appear.

You could argue also that they are the most underrated band ever.

Steve Savicki
11-16-2006, 08:21 PM
They were diverse like Floyd and Zep. Not like Boston with the same old arrangements.

Terry
11-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Was huge on the Doors from about 1987 to 1991; probably the band that got the most time in my cassette player.

But, nah. Not gonna get this thing. Last thing I did Doors-wise was finally upgrade all 6 studio albums to cd a year or so ago. Between all the Doors posters, Jimbo poetry books, VHS tapes and dvds I've shelled out for, I figure Ray, Robbie, John and Jim's estate have gotten enough of my money over the years...

Plus, the Doors have been repackaged for greatest hits and box sets so many times that it's kinda getting silly at this point.

About the only thing I'd pay for at this point are copies of Feast Of Friends and HWY.

Steve Savicki
11-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Terry Plus, the Doors have been repackaged for greatest hits and box sets so many times that it's kinda getting silly at this point.
So this is just Rhino's way of raking in buck after buck year after year?

SilvioDante
11-17-2006, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy

You could argue also that they are the most underrated band ever.

I don't think that you could concider them underrated seeing as they are in the Rock and Roll HOF and Van Halen isn't.

Look, I believe they had some good songs. "Light My Fire" is one of the best songs in RnR history, and I once lobbied the band I was in to do "Roadhouse Blues", but if I see one more poster of Morrison in a Christ pose, I am gonna be sick.

Mr Badguy
11-17-2006, 04:05 PM
I don't think that you could concider them underrated seeing as they are in the Rock and Roll HOF and Van Halen isn't.

Look, I believe they had some good songs. "Light My Fire" is one of the best songs in RnR history, and I once lobbied the band I was in to do "Roadhouse Blues", but if I see one more poster of Morrison in a Christ pose, I am gonna be sick.

Fair enough.

The music was pretty innovative, though.

DLRdelight!
11-17-2006, 04:24 PM
im a huge doors fan and i just finished getting the all the studio albums not too long ago. not to mention that i lready have the other box set that had four cd's. i am tempted to buy this though but not right now. the old box set of the complete studio albums was better because the cd cases were made to look exactly as the record cases and they even came in sleeves

Hardrock69
11-18-2006, 01:40 AM
I dig L.A. Woman, and Riders On The Storm.

COOL fucking music.

They may not have been "heavy" or some kind of virtuoso band (and I hate that goddamned organ sound Ray has on "Light My Fire"...), but they did have a unique sound, and their musical compositions were pretty different from the normal "rock" of that time period.

In the 50s, rock was a little kid. It grew up as a teenager in the 60s, etc.

By the late 60s, bands were finally beginning to have a sound that is still relevant almost 40 years later.

Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple all got their start in the period 1966-1968, not to mention the newly-created position of "God Of Electric Guitar" originally held by Clapton, but superceded by Hendrix.

The Doors had an emphasis on keyboards. I mean, they had no permanent bassist. Robby Krieger is more of a jazz-rock stylist. Not a true balls-out rock guitarist in my opinion. Not bad, but I expect more intensity in my guitar when I am listening to rock music.

That said, I still like some of their stuff.

Every time I see something lying by the side of the road, be it cardboard, an old tire, a torn up deer, or whatever, I will paraphrase a line from a Morrison tune (The End I think....or could be Horse Latitudes or something)

"Dead indian by the side of the road......"

Except in my case it will be "Dead cardboard by the side of the road....." or "Dead beercan by the side of the road....."

I mean come on....if you are discarded by the side of the road, doesn't matter if you are human, animal, or inanimate object, you are pretty much dead.
So there is a certain black humour about it.

I am rambling.

Is it soup yet?

:D

Hardrock69
11-18-2006, 01:59 AM
But no....I am not buying the box set. The Door's Greatest Hits is enough for me.

Terry
11-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
So this is just Rhino's way of raking in buck after buck year after year?

Well, whoever has the rights to release the music would be foolish not to, as there is obviously a buck to be made...I suppose that's why they are called record COMPANIES...

I dunno. Best post-1971 release I ever got my hands on was a two-tape cassette title called Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine. Every other greatest hits release paled beside that one, IMO.

I've got the 6 original albums put out on Elektra, An American Prayer, couple of boots from 1970, pretty much everything out on video that's been officially released...the only one I lost track of is Absolutely Live, but I can't be bothered to see if it even came out on cd and get a new copy...just plain don't need the new box set. Ain't gonna be anything on it I don't already have...the vaults of the Doors have been raped so many times, and I doubt anything we haven't heard before is gonna be on this.

Steve Savicki
11-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by DLRdelight!
im a huge doors fan and i just finished getting the all the studio albums not too long ago. not to mention that i lready have the other box set that had four cd's. i am tempted to buy this though but not right now. the old box set of the complete studio albums was better because the cd cases were made to look exactly as the record cases and they even came in sleeves
Which is why I don't need this one... bought that the week it came out.
This was in '99 if my memory serves correctly.

Mr Badguy
11-19-2006, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Terry
the only one I lost track of is Absolutely Live, but I can't be bothered to see if it even came out on cd and get a new copy...

It`s now called "The Doors In Concert" and is a 2CD compilation of the three live albums "Absolutely live", "Alive, she cried" and "Live at the Hollywood bowl".

Definetly worth getting hold of, if only for "The celebration of the lizard".

BITEYOASS
11-19-2006, 09:47 AM
I ain't shelving out for any more doors items until they release a CD of the infamous Miami Concert and a DVD of HWY.

Mr. Vengeance
11-19-2006, 11:44 AM

Not even close to the same. The Doors were a band that had quality songs and wonderful lyrics. And they had many albums. The music lived on because it was great. And as for dying in moronic ways....drinking too much and dying of a heart attack is somehow less moronic to me than being a whining scumbag and blowing my head off at the height of my popularity, because I can't stand the fame.

SilvioDante
11-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
The Doors were a band that had quality songs and wonderful lyrics.
I suppose "his brain is squirming like a toad" is one of the many lyrics you are refering to...

And as for dying in moronic ways....drinking too much and dying of a heart attack is somehow less moronic to me than being a whining scumbag and blowing my head off at the height of my popularity, because I can't stand the fame.
I agree. The Doors did more for rock music than Nirvana did. (If anything, Cobain almost killed rock music.) My point was anyone who dies young who is relatively famous is rocketed to icon status. James Dean only made 3 movies and look at his "legend".

I know what body part opinions are like, and I don't like the Doors and alot of people do, and thats cool. I just don't agree with the fact that people concider them "rock gods". From the concerts I have hear their "jams" are like fingernails down a chalkboard out of tune.

Terry
11-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
It`s now called "The Doors In Concert" and is a 2CD compilation of the three live albums "Absolutely live", "Alive, she cried" and "Live at the Hollywood bowl".

Definetly worth getting hold of, if only for "The celebration of the lizard".

I had The Doors In Concert on cassette when it first came out, but it turned out to be a waste for me, because the 1968 Hollywood Bowl Show was always boring to me.

Absolutely Live was kinda up and down as well...Best stuff they put out that came close to capturing all the hyped legends of what a phenominal live band they were was The Doors Are Open, with the performances at the Roundhouse in London.

Mr. Vengeance
11-19-2006, 10:23 PM
I suppose "his brain is squirming like a toad" is one of the many lyrics you are refering to...

You can't figure out how cool that is? You are what Yoko Ono complained about when she made her "rhyming June with Spoon" comment....

Tell me something better.

SilvioDante
11-20-2006, 07:04 AM
You can't figure out how cool that is? You are what Yoko Ono complained about when she made her "rhyming June with Spoon" comment....

Tell me something better.
That's all I got man. Never said I was smart. What's that quote? "I don't know art but I know what I like". Guess thats another thing I don't like about the Doors. Its like you have to "get" that kinda thing to be let in to some kinda "cool, hip" club.

I just don't want to try that hard...

Howlin' Wolf
11-23-2006, 05:47 PM
The Doors release complete live shows and incredible bootlegs from their website. Incredible stuff. Wish some other bands would do something like that...