• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Universal Music Sues MySpace

MySpace is sued by Universal Music

The record label accuses the social networking site of widespread piracy of songs and videos. The News Corp. unit calls the lawsuit unnecessary.

By Dawn C. Chmielewski, Times Staff Writer
    November 18, 2006

Universal Music Group sued MySpace.com on Friday, alleging that the social networking site that bills itself as a source of "user generated" content instead trades on "user stolen" songs and music videos.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, described MySpace as a "vast virtual warehouse" of pirated works from some of the company's best-known artists, including Mariah Carey, Diana Krall and U2. Universal claims that "no intellectual property is safe" from the alleged copyright infringement, even unreleased albums such as Jay-Z's "Kingdom Come."

The dispute pits the world's largest music label against media mogul Rupert Murdoch and his News Corp., which acquired MySpace for $580 million in September 2005. Universal has embarked on an aggressive legal campaign against social networking sites since it reached an agreement last month to license its songs and music videos to YouTube Inc., now owned by Google Inc.

Since then, Santa Monica-based Universal has filed federal lawsuits against Grouper Networks Inc. and Bolt Inc. for permitting users to post without authorization hundreds of music videos from popular artists.

Universal, a unit of France's Vivendi, is seeking damages of $150,000 for each unauthorized music video or song posted on MySpace, alleged that MySpace not only is aware of the infringement but also makes money selling advertising to the millions of users attracted by the lure of free access to copyrighted works.

"Businesses that seek to trade off on our content, and the hard work of our artists and songwriters, shouldn't be free to do so without permission and without fairly compensating the content creators," Universal said in a statement. "Our music and videos play a key role in building the communities that have created hundreds of millions of dollars of value for the owners of MySpace."

In a written response, MySpace said it did not "induce, encourage or condone" copyright violation in any way. Indeed, on Friday it announced a new tool to make it easier and faster for content holders to remove unauthorized content from the site.

"MySpace provides an extraordinary promotion platform for artists — from major labels to independent acts — while respecting their copyrights," a company spokeswoman said. "We have been keeping [Universal Music] closely apprised of our industry-leading efforts to protect creators' rights. It's unfortunate they decided to file this unnecessary and meritless litigation."

The latest lawsuit could be a test case for broader copyright issues involving sites such as YouTube that allow users to upload content. Google earmarked $200 million of the $1.6 billion it paid for YouTube to deal with copyright lawsuits. Intellectual property lawyers say Universal has no choice: It can't afford to have some sites distributing for free videos that others pay to license. But the issue also complicates business for Universal executives who have sought to embrace social networking as a marketing tool.

Some of the company's executives, such as Courtney Holt, Interscope Records' head of new media, have been quoted praising MySpace's role in launching new releases from the Black Eyed Peas, Nine Inch Nails, Beck and Queens of the Stone Age. Universal Music also reached an agreement in February with MySpace to offer on-demand streaming of its music videos.

But the relationship appears to have soured over what Universal viewed as MySpace's failure to police its site. Universal Chief Executive Doug Morris put social networking and video sites on notice at a September investment conference in Pasadena when he said that "we believe these new businesses are copyright infringers and owe us tens of millions of dollars."

Other sources said the lawsuit was a tool designed to give Universal leverage in its continuing licensing talks with MySpace. Underscoring the theory that the dispute is largely over how much money MySpace should pay is a reference in the lawsuit to a lucrative $900-million advertising deal the site struck with Google.

MySpace said it was protected under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998, which provides special legal protections known as "safe harbors" to Web-hosting sites that remove copyrighted works after receiving takedown notices from the content owners.

Mark Litvack, an entertainment lawyer with Manatt Phelps & Phillips, said such court battles would ultimately determine how far websites such as MySpace must go to police content. "If the music is up there without authorization, there's no dispute. It's infringement," Litvack said. "Now the question is who's responsible? There's no doubt that the poster is. The question is what MySpace's obligation is."

Michael S. Sherman, chairman of the entertainment group for law firm Jeffer, Mangels, Butler & Marmaro, said MySpace's safe harbor defense might be undermined because the site sells advertising tailored to the content of songs, music videos and artist pages.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • Mr. Vengeance
    Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Funny how when it was just owned by a couple of poor kids, no one cared. Now that Google has paid a boatload of moey for it, the scumbag lawyers are popping up, looking to get some cash out of Google.
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Ellyllions
      Veteran
      • Mar 2006

I LOVE IT.
      I hope this lawsuit gets TONS of press.

The labels have no idea that they're hanging themselves.

When we were kids we couldn't afford or talk our parents into buying every single, or album that we wanted to have in our posession to enjoy at our leisure. So what did we do? We stuck a cheap cassette into our boom boxes and raced to hit record when a song came on the radio that we wanted to save. Only a small number of folks actually tried to copy and sell pirated music back then and it's the same thing going on today.

MySpace and YouTube are places on the internet where people can listen to and watch music at their leisure. It has nothing to do with piracy for profit. Only a small margin of people actually try to sell pirated copies of music, and only a small margin of people buy pirated copies of music. And the more that places like MySpace and YouTube offer music, the less piracy will happen. People just want to be able to enjoy and identify themselves with the music that they like to listen to.

BUT, as long as the labels try to grasp every penny they can from the music that they represent, the big label music will cease to be a draw. People are going to enjoy music that they can access.

Pretty soon it won't matter if a big Corporation agrees to buy a million copies of Janet Jackson's new album the minute it drops just to propel it to No. 1. People will be ignoring all of it because they can get to an unsigned bands music and personally request a copy via a simple message on MySpace. In turn, that unsigned band gets the whole $10 for the album because they didn't have to follow some contract and only get a penny or two.

So go ahead, record labels...sue everyone who features your music. When you finally realize that your absolute FAME is worthless you and your shitty music will finally stop. And us music fans can go to reasonably priced shows, as well as buying an album from a band who just wants to be heard.
      "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

FUCK THE RIAA!!!

And FUCK UNIVERSAL MUSIC AS WELL!

Elly said it very well.

If I think a band is worthy, I will buy CDs and DVDs for sure.

If it is someone I really do not care about, I will download the stuff for free.

The labels claim it is a "lost sale", however that is FUCKING BULLSHIT, because I would NEVER BUY IT TO BEGIN WITH!!!!!!

Hell, I have friends who are in bands, and I like the band they are in. My friends occasionally try to give me a free cd or whatever, but I refuse. I insist on paying 10 bucks or whatever they are selling it for, because I want to help them succeed.

I do NOT want to help the goddamnable corporate asslickers, as their sole business is to fuck their own artists, as well as the fans in the ass!!!

FUCK 'EM!!!

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

Great Points Elly, and these people have obviously gone nuts from losing profits that they aren't thinking clearly; it's a promotional vehicle from people trying to identify with a product that people would only go buy if they heard something they liked. Yes of course there are copywrite issues here but people will only invest in music they are familiar with and exposed to.
          And if they hear a song they like that much, they'll get the album or become a fan who may get the whole catalog.

times and technology are changing so fast they have no way of projecting where the industry will be down the road.
          Radio is crumbling so how many promotional opportunities are there in a mainstream setting?

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
            Funny how when it was just owned by a couple of poor kids, no one cared. Now that Google has paid a boatload of moey for it, the scumbag lawyers are popping up, looking to get some cash out of Google.
            Google got YouTube brother, Murdoch's got MySpace.

Personally I don't mind people going after Murdock ....

Comment

• Steve Savicki
              • Jan 2004

If Napster lost, why not MySpace?
              I don't care for MySpace so I don't care what happens.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...