PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Superman Collection

ULTRAMAN VH
11-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Found this over at Amazon.
DISC 1- Superman The Movie
* Original 1978 theatrical version with commentary by producers Pierre Spengler and Ilya Salkind
* Theatrical trailers, TV Spots
* Soundtrack in Dolby Digital 5.1

DISC 2- Superman The Movie
* 2001 expanded movie with commentary by director Richard Donner & creative consultant Tom Mankiewicz
* Music-only audio track

DISC 3- Superman The Movie
* Taking Flight: The Development of Superman
* Making Superman: Filming the Legend
* The Magic Behind the Cape
* Additional scenes
* Screen tests
* Audio-only bonus: additional music cues

DISC 4- Superman The Movie
* Vintage TV special The Making of Superman the Movie
* 1951 Movie Superman and the Mole-Men, starring George Reeves
* 9 Fleischer Studios Superman cartoons mastered from superior vault elements

DISC 5- Superman II
* Movie with commentary by producers Pierre Spengler and Ilya Salkind
* Additional scenes (over 8 minutes worth)

DISC 6- Superman II
* Vintage TV specials The Making of Superman II & Superman's 50th Anniversary
* New featurette First Flight: The Fleischer Superman Series
* The Remaining 8 Fleischer Studios Superman cartoons mastered from superior vault elements

DISC 7- Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
*All new introduction by director Richard Donner
*Commentary by director Richard Donner & creative consultant Tom Mankiewicz
*New featurette Superman II: Restoring the Vision
*Additional scenes
*Dolby Digital 5.1

DISC 8- Superman III
* Movie with commentary by producers Pierre Spengler and Ilya Salkind
* Vintage TV special The Making of Superman III
* Additional scenes (over 19 minutes worth)
* Theatrical trailer

DISC 9- Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
* Movie with commentary by screenwriter Mark Rosenthal
* Additional scenes (over 30 minutes worth!)
* Theatrical trailer

DISC 10- Superman Returns
*Theatrical cut
*Dolby Digital 5.1

DISC 11- Superman Returns
*Requiem for Krypton: Making Superman Returns 3hr multi-part documentary
*Additional scenes (without Return to Krypton sequence)
*Theatrical trailers

DISC 12- You'll believe: Making of A Saga- 6 part documentary
*Forging the Man of Steel- Superman in the media, and the challenges the Salkinds faced
*Creating the Vision- choosing the right script, director and actors
*Believe- the production of a new kind of fantasy film
*Crisis- the conflicts behind Superman II
*Downfall- criticisms and burnout of Superman III and Superman IV
*Legacy- filmmakers, writers and artists reflect
*Bonus new documentaries- Mythology of Superman, Science of Superman, Remembering Christopher Reeve

DISC 13- Look, Up in the Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman
*Kevin Burns documentary on Superman's history

DISC 14- Bryan Singer's blogs
*All the web blogs plus two never-before-seen

The Ultimate box is encased in a keepsake tin and also includes a reprint of the Superman comic book issue #7, a Superman overview booklet and a mail-in offer for 5 reproduction Superman theatrical movie posters. Perhaps the best part of this collection is the unbelievably reasonable retail price, with many retailers selling it for significantly less! Like many fans who have grown up on the Christopher Reeve Superman movies, I've patiently waited for a collection worthy of its legacy. Finally, WB has compiled a set that not only honors the character but all of the fans that still believe in truth, justice, and the American way!

This set is going to be AWESOME!!!!!!

Coyote
11-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Now THAT'S a fuckin' box!!

FORD
11-26-2006, 07:03 PM
So what IS the "unbelievably reasonable price"?

Hell, since I don't have any of the DVD's I'll probably buy it anyway, though I couldn't give a sheep's ass about the third or 4th movies otherwise.

FORD
11-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Here's Amazon's Price....

Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition (1978)
Starring: Christopher Reeve Rating PG
(16 customer reviews)
List Price: $99.98
Price: $69.88 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $30.10 (30%)

Definitely not a bad price for a 5 movie box set, let alone the bonus material. Funny thing is that they aren't advertising this release on TV, just the "Superman Returns" release.

Costco only has the individual newest movie listed at the moment. They might even have it for less than Amazon if they carried it. $49.99?? Oh Hell yeah, I could deal with that.

Best Buy is also advertising the $69.99 price, as is Circuit City, so this would seem to be the standard "sale" price, unless Costco can beat it.

frets5150
11-26-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Coyote
Now THAT'S a fuckin' box!!

Now if only we could get a CVH Collection half as good as this. :mad:

FORD
11-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by frets5150

Maybe if Garth Brooks was VH's new singer?

Unchainme
11-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by frets5150

They're both by the same company..:)..Maybe one day..;)

Terry
11-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Well, I've got the 1978 Superman on disc, pirated 2 and 3, have no interest in 4 (saw it in the theater...once was MORE than enough) and have no interest in the remake...

Although I will say that even $100 isn't bad for all those discs and versions.

ULTRAMAN VH
11-27-2006, 12:34 PM
I think the highlight of this set will be The Donner Cut of Superman 2. I can't wait to see this.

FORD
11-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
I think the highlight of this set will be The Donner Cut of Superman 2. I can't wait to see this.

A detailed description of the Donner version can be found here (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&forumid=10&threadid=38686) for those who might have missed it a few months back.

ULTRAMAN VH
11-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Here's Amazon's Price....

Definitely not a bad price for a 5 movie box set, let alone the bonus material. Funny thing is that they aren't advertising this release on TV, just the "Superman Returns" release.

Costco only has the individual newest movie listed at the moment. They might even have it for less than Amazon if they carried it. $49.99?? Oh Hell yeah, I could deal with that.

Best Buy is also advertising the $69.99 price, as is Circuit City, so this would seem to be the standard "sale" price, unless Costco can beat it.

I am going to take your advice on this one and check out the local wholesale clubs before heading to Bestbuy or Circuit City.

Terry
11-27-2006, 09:00 PM
I'd like to see the Donner cut of Superman 2, but suppose I'll have to wait until it gets released on its own and not as part of the set, because there ain't no way I'm paying that much money for a bunch of films (1, 3, 4 and Superman Returns) that I already either have (1 and 3) or have no desire to have (4 and Returns) just to get to Donner's 2.

Will just have to make due with my pan-and-scan pirated same-as-it-ever-was S2 until then.

ULTRAMAN VH
11-28-2006, 06:24 AM
The Donner cut is being released on the same day as the collection, enjoy!!! I believe the going price will be about 17.99.

bueno bob
11-28-2006, 06:38 AM
I'm mildly interested. I already own Superman - Superman IV anyway. Nice price for all the goodies, but I'll just pick up the Richard Donner version of Superman II and call it even, probably.

Rikk
11-28-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm getting the set...not just for the Donner cut but all the documentaries. No, I don't want SUPERMAN III or SUPERMAN IV...and SUPERMAN RETURNS was shit. And I couldn't give a rat's ass about a cartoon. But the amount of extras, packaging...plus I already sold my old set months ago when I heard this was coming out.

bueno bob
11-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
and SUPERMAN RETURNS was shit...

THANK YOU.

Rikk
11-28-2006, 11:56 AM
It was shit. It had promise...they fumbled the ball. Kate sucked...she was no Margot Kidder.

Superman wasn't a very moral character...nothing like Reeve.

It had none of the sense of wonder of the original.

It didn't really match, continuity-wise.

I just didn't like it.

bueno bob
11-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
It was shit. It had promise...they fumbled the ball. Kate sucked...she was no Margot Kidder.

Superman wasn't a very moral character...nothing like Reeve.

It had none of the sense of wonder of the original.

It didn't really match, continuity-wise.

I just didn't like it.

Everything Pojo and I were talking about during it's run in the theater; had I not had the kids with me, I'd have walked out of it halfway through...

Hey, speaking of kids, I gotta take one of mine to the dentist!

Later...

Terry
11-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
The Donner cut is being released on the same day as the collection, enjoy!!! I believe the going price will be about 17.99.

Nice!

Vinnie Velvet
12-01-2006, 11:11 AM
ATTENTION SUPE FANS!!!!!

If you didn't buy the Ultimate Collector's Edition just yet -- DON'T!!!!!

Warner has made a HUGE blunder with the set.

The newly restored, remastered (5.1 sound) 'DELUXE VERSION' of SUPERMAN III is listed as being part of the set, complete with a vintage making of documentary and deleted scenes.

But what you'll get in this Ultimate set is the 2001 DVD, bare-bones, sucky sounding, version of Superman III, NOT the new 'Deluxe' version.

The correct new deluxe version of Superman III is in the Christopher Reeve collection (only the first four movies -- Donner cut and Returns are not included in this set). You can also get it individually.

Warner has issued a press statement on the mistake and will be sending out replacement discs of SIII to those who bought the Ultimate Collectors Edition.

------------------------------------

FORD
12-01-2006, 03:21 PM
I'm assuming then, that the future shipments of the box set WILL have the proper version of Superman III included, and one would hope they recalled the rest of the crappy versions.

Wonder when it will be safe to buy the box?

Mr Badguy
12-03-2006, 04:40 PM
I`ve just ordered the 3 disc Special Edition of II.

I already have the expanded version of the first film with the documentaries.

They could burn the rest for all I care.

Looking forward to seeing the Donner version of II.

POJO_Risin
12-03-2006, 06:07 PM
I've talked so much about the Donner version...that it's almsot like I've already seen the fucking thing...

I have the expanded version...of 1...

I don't think I'll buy the box...for me...

although I know my kids would probably love all of them...

Vinnie Velvet
12-04-2006, 10:40 AM
I picked up the Christopher Reeve Collection (which has Superman 1-IV) but I had to get the Donner cut seperately.

And I watched the Donner Cut on the weekend and it was GREAT!!

But its a shame though, because even watching all the new/old scenes that we never saw before, it still feels 'unfinished' because Donner was forced to use some (20% of) Lester footage that he basically never got to shot before he was let go (specifically the Niagara Falls and Metropolis battle scenes).

But what editor Micheal Thau did to those scenes was great -- made the whole battle with the villains FAR LESS corny and more dramatic -- the sound was beefed up as well, explosions are heard greater and with more depth.

The best part of the Donner cut to me were the Brando scenes and new scenes between Lois and Clark. Margot and Chris had such a great chemistry and it really shows in these scenes we never seen before.

Some of the cuts of the Lester footage seem obvious at first (I don't wanna give anything away so I won't say anything).

The ending of the Donner cut (as the Fortress of Solitude confrontation with the villains) is completely different. Watch out for that.

Overall, It was great to watch -- great to see new Chris Reeve footage and the Brando stuff.

Although we'll never really get a TRUE Superman II from Donner, this is as close as you're gonna get.

Mr Badguy
12-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Okay, so I saw the Donner cut.

Yes, there is stuff in there that would have been great to have seen in 1980.

However, as Vinnie says, there`s an unsatisfying unfinished feel to it.

And the ending is dumb, IMO.

The definitive "Superman II" will never be seen as it is probably somewhere between Lester and Donner two versions.

Terry
12-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Just picked up the Donner Cut.

It is superior to the Lester effort, but they also cut some stuff of Lester's out that really didn't need to go, like the sequence at the end where they're fighting in the Fortress Of Solitude, and although I understood that the turning back of the Earth on its axis was what Donner had intended to be the ending of 2 and not 1, they should have just left the Lester ending, with Superman restoring the roof of the White House. Also, they could have left in the bit at Niagra Falls where Kidder jumps into the river. Sure, they had already had her jump from the Daily Planet at the beginning of the Donner Cut, but what the hell?

Also, in the Donner Cut Superman basically disintegrates the Fortress Of Solitude in the end, while Luthor is still in it (although they did show Luthor getting hauled away in the deleted scenes)!

Think I'm gonna go get the widescreen dvd Lester cut anyway.

I'd also be interested in getting Superman 3 on dvd if it were sold apart from the collection set, but 4 just sucked and I just plain wasn't interested in seeing Superman Returns. From what bueno and Pojo were saying, I didn't miss much.

bueno bob
12-16-2006, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Terry
I'd also be interested in getting Superman 3 on dvd if it were sold apart from the collection set, but 4 just sucked and I just plain wasn't interested in seeing Superman Returns. From what bueno and Pojo were saying, I didn't miss much.

Well...it'd make for a good rental. After the airplane rescue, the whole movie kinda grinds to a halt.

On the plus side, Bryan Singer has said that the intake from "Superman Returns" has given him enough of a green light to go completely "Wrath of Khan" with "Superman Returns Again", or whatever he's going to call it...

Just as long as Jude Law does NOT show up as General Zod, I'm willing to give him another chance...I guess...

The problems that need to be surmounted are:

01. Brandon Routh needs more "Superman" dialogue - he barely had any speaking lines when in the suit (although he did do a pretty bang up job as Clark Kent, I'll give him that).

02. More action. "Superman Returns" climaxed, essentially, with the airplane rescue scene, and everything after that felt forced (saving Metropolis over and over) or lacking in execution/timing (the whole Kryptonite Island bit).

03. Kate Bosworth. Somebody has to get her acting like Lois Lane, not some jaded, unsmiling, self-absorbed Superman-obsessed scandal queen, which was all she impressed upon me.

04. Get rid of Richard White. As much as I HATE to say that, it has to be done; frankly, he was the only REALLY heroic person of "Superman Returns"...Superman was amoral, Lois was self-absorbed and scandalous...Richard White really rose to the occasion and was the REAL Superman of the movie. Having that happen just isn't good for Superman business, sad to say. I really enjoyed his character, but Superman is supposed to be "The Hero"...

05. There needs to be more family-like interaction between Clark, Lois, Jimmy and Perry. Jimmy and Perry started out well enough in "Superman Returns", but they were totally lost in the shuffle and all but useless characters after the first 30 minutes or so.

06. Re-script Superman's behavior. Superman isn't a camera hog, mugging it up for the cameras after saving the day, nor is he a stalker, nor should he be maliciously "playing ball" with the family dog (that scene to me just seemed downright mean-spirited)...he just needs to be more business and more heroic.

07. Kevin Spacey needs to quit trying to channel the essence of Gene Hackman. He's not Gene Hackman, and that's that. Play Lex MEAN - he was good at that, but the comedic moments are just not his forte and nobody can find the balance between humor/sinister as well as Gene Hackman. Kevin just needs to quit trying because it makes his portrayal of Lex look unbalanced and jerky.

08. Parker Posey should have more of a role in the next movie. She could REALLY shine, if given a chance to do something more with her character.

09. Although it's never going to happen, I REALLY would like to see them drop the "Lois Lane has a kid" story angle, and all that went with it. Frankly, I think it just flat out sucked. Period. It was a bad idea from jump street and expanding on it isn't going to make it any better.

10. Edit Superman's suit. All the rubber and dark colors just look ridiculous. Superman's suit is supposed to be colorful and vibrant...having all the dark reds just doesn't look sightful.

MOST IMPORTANTLY:

Super villains. I mean at least one or two good ones. There are a LOT to choose from...Brainiac, Metallo, Bizarro, Mongul, Darkseid, Satanus, Parasite...Intergang could show up and fuck with him...

Lex Luthor and his criminal real estate schemes have been covered...General Zod has been covered...we need to move on to some dudes with more bang for the buck...

Isaac R.
12-16-2006, 05:50 AM
The Donner cut of S2 is shit.
Supes does the whole fly around the planet/ turn back time thing again?!? So the whole thing never happened? Zod & co. never escaped the phantom zone?? Clark/Supes beats up the truck driver for something that never happened??
Lesters super-kiss ending made more sense. Yes, it was lame, but at least it didn`t nullify everything that happened in both movies.

Mr Badguy
12-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Isaac R.
So the whole thing never happened? Zod & co. never escaped the phantom zone?? Clark/Supes beats up the truck driver for something that never happened??

Yes, but it would leave the door open for the exact same series of events to happen in a future sequel!

:D