PDA

View Full Version : Best Home Town Bar For Live Music

VanHalener
11-30-2006, 02:46 PM
As a constant traveler I have hit a lot of bars to enjoy live music. Lots of talented people around. The best place that I have found in my area is "Sullys" in Chantilly, Virginia. Lots of room and every seat is great.
What bar in your neck of the woods is best for live music? Thanks!

:killer: :bottle: :gulp: :rockit2:

DrMaddVibe
11-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Tampa is such a crap city for live music. I'll travel to Sunrise, Orlando and Jacksonville to see bands that I want to see. As far as a "local" scene we have Ybor City, which used to be better than it is now and Clearwater/St. Pete. My favorite place to see acts are New Wrold Brewery, The Orpheum, Skipper's Smokehouse and Janus Landing. They can draw some big names in but give the floor to local bands as well.

I gotta give mega props to Detroit.

You name the genre...they've got it. They're the kind of town that's on the bleeding edge. I've caught acts like NIN, White Stripes, RHCP, Guns n' Roses, in nightclubs and bars!

VanHalener
11-30-2006, 03:23 PM
The motor city Kicks ass!

kentuckyklira
11-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Too many to mention. Depends on the style of music you´re after, we have both!

BITEYOASS
11-30-2006, 07:18 PM
In Yuma, AZ the best place to go is "Jimmie Dee's" bar in Old Town. Of course that is the only rock bar in town.

diamondsgirl
11-30-2006, 08:25 PM
The Chicken Bone Saloon in Framingham, MA. :cool:

Great live blues.

VanHalener
12-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
Too many to mention. Depends on the style of music you´re after, we have both!

:rockit2:
Right on Germany, Florida, & Arizona. Thanks for the feedback. There's another place called the State Theartre in Falls Church, Virginia. I saw Star wars there for the first time, but it's now used to host local rockers and some names that used to be popular.
They often host a Boston cover band that kicks ass with great guitar work.

Anyone else have a good place to see rock bands in your town? Thanks!

Van Halen 2007 or Bust!

VanHalener
12-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
The Chicken Bone Saloon in Framingham, MA. :cool:

Great live blues.

You gotta love a blues joint called the Chicken Bone. Thanks MA.

:D

rustoffa
12-01-2006, 09:59 PM
There's a few here. Blind Willies' is pretty good. I had the chance to see RL Burnside call Buddy Guy a "polka-dot-shirt-motherfucker" there.

They used to have bands at The Clermont Lounge...it's a pretty sleazy strip club in the basement of a sleazy hotel on a really sleazy street here. I had the chance to see Dexter Romweber call this fat stripper "Michael Stipes' fat fucking mom" one night there.

The Earl is ok. They always have edgy indy bands there. That Dexter Romweber dude I mentioned threw his Silvertone mini into the crowd one night and busted this chicks' head open there.

The Echo Lounge is down and across the street from The Earl. Kinda similair indy deal....got to meet Rudy Ray Moore there one night. Also The White Stripes before they really "took off." It was fucking great...lotsa hipsters standing around holding their ears...I thought the roof was going to fall in.

VanHalener
12-02-2006, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rustoffa
[B]There's a few here. Blind Willies' is pretty good. I had the chance to see RL Burnside call Buddy Guy a "polka-dot-shirt-motherfucker" there.

Thanks rustoffa! I'm scheduled to be in Atlanta pretty soon and will have to check some of these out.
I hit a lot of places in Atlanta in the early 90's and had a kick ass time!

VH 2007 or bust!

Matt White
12-02-2006, 09:44 PM
TC's in YPSILANTI MI

VanHalener
12-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
TC's in YPSILANTI MI

T T Reynolds in Fairfax City for live jams and college girls. Small bar with good local talent.

Matt White
12-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by vanhalener
T T Reynolds in Fairfax City for live jams and college girls. Small bar with good local talent.

Exactly, exactly

mako_kimura
12-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Hey, a fellow Virginian. Well, a good one I found out about is a place called Jaxx in West Springfield. They mostly cater to the metal/hard rock scene, but they're great. They have quite a few big name acts there

VanHalener
12-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by mako_kimura
Hey, a fellow Virginian. Well, a good one I found out about is a place called Jaxx in West Springfield. They mostly cater to the metal/hard rock scene, but they're great. They have quite a few big name acts there

JAXX oh yeah! Haven't been there in a couple of years, but oh yes! Outstanding!
Went there as a last drink of the night type visit a few years ago and they had what my buddy and I have referred to since as Satans Bithday Bash. Head banging, long haired, growling metal band. We didn't fit in, per say, so the owners thought we were cops checking things out and all of our drinks were free. We told him we were not the cops, but he didn't believe us. Oh well, free beer!

VanHalener
12-06-2006, 08:26 AM
How about you North Carolina?
Headed there for the weekend...

rocknrolldork
12-06-2006, 09:22 AM
The Milestone, Amos' Southend & Tremont Music Hall are all decent clubs in Charlotte.

Here in Indy the place to see hot local/regional original acts is either the Melody Inn or Birdy's. The Mel is dark, dank and dirty and Birdy's is a bigger room that occationally has nationals. Both have great bands 7 nights a week and both are owned by tremendously cool people.

rocknrolldork
12-06-2006, 09:34 AM
What kind of music do they usually have at T T Reynolds in Virginia and TC's in Ypsilanti?

Matt..... Does anyone goto the Elbow Room in Ypsi?

VanHalener
12-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by rocknrolldork
The Milestone, Amos' Southend & Tremont Music Hall are all decent clubs in Charlotte.

Here in Indy the place to see hot local/regional original acts is either the Melody Inn or Birdy's. The Mel is dark, dank and dirty and Birdy's is a bigger room that occationally has nationals. Both have great bands 7 nights a week and both are owned by tremendously cool people.

Excellent. I'll be checkin' that joint out and let you know how Carolina rocked this weekend. TT's music list is wide and varied, but it's usually rock. Lots of bands with their own sound , trying to make it as newcommers.
Rock on Indy...!:rockit2:

rocknrolldork
12-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by vanhalener
Excellent. I'll be checkin' that joint out and let you know how Carolina rocked this weekend. TT's music list is wide and varied, but it's usually rock. Lots of bands with their own sound , trying to make it as newcommers.
Rock on Indy...!:rockit2:

Do you mind taking a listen and letting me know if you think it would be worth the time to get my band booked there? www.myspace.com/state or www.sonicbids.com/state

thanks.

VanHalener
12-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by rocknrolldork
Do you mind taking a listen and letting me know if you think it would be worth the time to get my band booked there? www.myspace.com/state or www.sonicbids.com/state

thanks.

I have nothing against Punk Rock, but it just ain't my bag, man. Throw in some half nude babes and a cherry coke and I may hang and listen for a while. Get your band booked bro, I'm sure you'll be fine.:killer:

Hitting North Carolina this weekend, but going to find some live rock in southern Virginia tonight. Anyone know a good bar for live rock near the Va/NC border at rte. 95?

peace

VanHalener
12-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
In Yuma, AZ the best place to go is "Jimmie Dee's" bar in Old Town. Of course that is the only rock bar in town.

Didn't make it to a club for live music this weekend. Met up with friends down in northern North Carolina for some off roading, hunting and guitar jamming. 20 people around a huge fire with eight guitars is a great way to spend a winters night anywhere.

Hitting PA next week. Bethleham area. Anyone know a good place for live jams in that area?