X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blonddgirl777
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Oooo Canada... !!!

O.K., yes... I was never the best Canadian patriotic citizen here but THIS is something that should give me pride...

Sunday Telegraph Article
    From UK wires: Salute to a brave and modest nation
    Kevin Myers, The Sunday Telegraph

LONDON - Until the deaths last week of four Canadian soldiers accidentally killed by a U.S. warplane inAfghanistan, probably almost no one outside their home country had been aware that Canadian troops were deployed in the region. And as always, Canada will now bury its dead, just as the rest of the world as always will forget its sacrifice, just as it always forgets nearly everything Canada ever does.

It seems that Canada's historic mission is to come to the selfless aid both of its friends and of complete strangers, and then, once the crisis is over, to be well and truly ignored. Canada is the perpetual wallflower that stands on the edge of the hall, waiting for someone to come and ask her for a dance. A fire breaks out, she risks life and limb to rescue her fellow dance-goers, and suffers serious injuries. But when the hall is repaired and the dancing resumes, there is Canada, the wallflower still, while those she once helped glamorously cavort across the floor, blithely neglecting her yet again.

That is the price Canada pays for sharing the North American continent with the United States, and for being a selfless friend of Britain in two global conflicts. For much of the 20th century, Canada was torn in two different directions: It seemed to be a part of the old world, yet had an address in the new one, and that divided identity ensured that it never fully got the gratitude it deserved.

Yet its purely voluntary contribution to the cause of freedom in two world wars was perhaps the greatest of any democracy. Almost 10% of Canada's entire population of seven million people served in the armed forces during the First World War, and nearly 60,000 died. The great Allied victories of 1918 were spearheaded by Canadian troops, perhaps the most capable soldiers in the entire British order of battle.

Canada was repaid for its enormous sacrifice by downright neglect, its unique contribution to victory being absorbed into the popular Memory as somehow or other the work of the "British." The Second World War provided a re-run. The Canadian navy began the war with a half dozen vessels, and ended up policing nearly half of the Atlantic against U-boat attack. More than 120 Canadian warships participated in the Normandy landings, during which 15,000 Canadian soldiers went ashore on D-Day alone. Canada finished the war with the third-largest navy and the fourth-largest air force in the world.

The world thanked Canada with the same sublime indifference as it had the previous time. Canadian participation in the war was acknowledged in film only if it was necessary to give an American actor a part in a campaign in which the United States had clearly not participated - a touching scrupulousness which, of course, Hollywood has since abandoned, as it has any notion of a separate Canadian identity.

So it is a general rule that actors and filmmakers arriving in Hollywood keep their nationality - unless, that is, they are Canadian. Thus Mary Pickford, Walter Huston, Donald Sutherland, Michael J. Fox, William Shatner, Norman Jewison, David Cronenberg, Alex Trebek, Art Linkletter and Dan Aykroyd have in the popular perception become American, and Christopher Plummer, British. It is as if, in the very act of becoming famous, a Canadian ceases to be Canadian, unless she is Margaret Atwood, who is as unshakably Canadian as a moose, or Celine Dion, for whom Canada has proved quite unable to find any takers.

Moreover, Canada is every bit as querulously alert to the achievements of its sons and daughters as the rest of the world is completely unaware of them. The Canadians proudly say of themselves - and are unheard by anyone else - that 1% of the world's population has provided 10% of the world's peacekeeping forces. Canadian soldiers in the past half century have been the greatest peacekeepers on Earth - in 39 missions on UN mandates, and six on non-UN peacekeeping duties, from Vietnam to East Timor, from Sinai to Bosnia.

Yet the only foreign engagement that has entered the popular on-Canadian imagination was the sorry affair in Somalia, in which out-of-control paratroopers murdered two Somali infiltrators. Their regiment was then disbanded in disgrace - a uniquely Canadian act of self-abasement for which, naturally, the Canadians received no international credit.

So who today in the United States knows about the stoic and selfless friendship its northern neighbour has given it in Afghanistan? Rather like Cyrano de Bergerac, Canada repeatedly does honourable things for honourable motives, but instead of being thanked for it, it remains something of a figure of fun.

It is the Canadian way, for which Canadians should be proud, yet such honour comes at a high cost. This week, four more grieving Canadian families knew that cost all too tragically well.
    http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...oman-movie.jpg
    Originally posted by Nitro Express
    ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
    Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
    [B]... Cooking, I mean Cooking, is men's field...
    http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...i_triangle.jpg
    Originally posted by VanHalener
    ... Fight the Good Fight and Win!...
    Originally posted by FORD
    ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...
  • blonddgirl777
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Re: Oooo Canada... !!!

Originally posted by blonddgirl777
    ... THIS is something that should give me pride...
    Except for Céline Dion (of course)!
    L.O.L.
    ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
    ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• BigBadBrian
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

O.K., yes... I was never the best Canadian patriotic citizen here but THIS is something that should give me pride...

BG777, we have an unwritten rule here in the FL.

All females must post nekkid pictures of themselves if they want to fcontinue to post.

Pony up.

BTW - I'm j/k...I think.
      “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Re: Re: Oooo Canada... !!!

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
        BG777, we have an unwritten rule here in the FL.

All females must post nekkid pictures of themselves if they want to fcontinue to post.

Pony up.

True.

It's in the handbook
        Originally posted by Kristy
        Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
        Originally posted by cadaverdog
        I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• blonddgirl777
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Re: Re: Re: Oooo Canada... !!!

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
          True.

It's in the handbook
          It is in my constitutional rights (and duties) to read the handbook BEFORE posting pictures of myself!!! :eek:

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Re: Re: Re: Re: Oooo Canada... !!!

It is in my constitutional rights (and duties) to read the handbook BEFORE posting pictures of myself!!! :eek:
            At least repost the bikini pics...

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Re: Re: Re: Re: Oooo Canada... !!!

As long as the BCE doesn't care about the Constitution, we don't have to either. Post the pics!!
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oooo Canada... !!!

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                ... bikini pics...
                Since you've always been so nice to me...
                And I am such a nice Blonddgirl...
                Just ask and you shall receive!

Pure Canadian "T";

... And "A";

That's all you need! :p

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oooo Canada... !!!

Pure Canadian "T";

... And "A";

Oooops,

I think I just accidently gave this thread a sticky.
                  Originally posted by Kristy
                  Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                  Originally posted by cadaverdog
                  I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• knuckleboner
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oooo Canada... !!!

As long as the BCE doesn't care about the Constitution, we don't have to either. Post the pics!!
                    how many times do i have to explain the constitution around here? ignorance of the law is no defense.

if the law says post the naked pictures, you have to post the pictures!

(and, where's my old sparring partner, john ashcroft? if memory serves me right, we're still owed some naked pics from 2004. ally?...)

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oooo Canada... !!!

Originally posted by knuckleboner
                      how many times do i have to explain the constitution around here? ignorance of the law is no defense.

if the law says post the naked pictures, you have to post the pictures!

(and, where's my old sparring partner, john ashcroft? if memory serves me right, we're still owed some naked pics from 2004. ally?...)
                      Yeah, I never saw those either

But the above bikini shots are very nice.... aqnd make me proud to live in a northern border state!
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Since this is a "serious thread", in a "serious forum"... I will not post this picture but feel free to check it out...

It makes ME proud of living in the French part of the land of the ice and snow!!!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Pure Canadian "T";

... And "A";

Oh Canada!
                          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2004

Sunday Telegraph Article
                            From UK wires: Salute to a brave and modest nation
                            Kevin Myers, The Sunday Telegraph

LONDON - Until the deaths last week of four Canadian soldiers accidentally killed by a U.S. warplane inAfghanistan, probably almost no one outside their home country had been aware that Canadian troops were deployed in the region. And as always, Canada will now bury its dead, just as the rest of the world as always will forget its sacrifice, just as it always forgets nearly everything Canada ever does.

It seems that Canada's historic mission is to come to the selfless aid both of its friends and of complete strangers, and then, once the crisis is over, to be well and truly ignored. Canada is the perpetual wallflower that stands on the edge of the hall, waiting for someone to come and ask her for a dance. A fire breaks out, she risks life and limb to rescue her fellow dance-goers, and suffers serious injuries. But when the hall is repaired and the dancing resumes, there is Canada, the wallflower still, while those she once helped glamorously cavort across the floor, blithely neglecting her yet again.

That is the price Canada pays for sharing the North American continent with the United States, and for being a selfless friend of Britain in two global conflicts. For much of the 20th century, Canada was torn in two different directions: It seemed to be a part of the old world, yet had an address in the new one, and that divided identity ensured that it never fully got the gratitude it deserved.

Yet its purely voluntary contribution to the cause of freedom in two world wars was perhaps the greatest of any democracy. Almost 10% of Canada's entire population of seven million people served in the armed forces during the First World War, and nearly 60,000 died. The great Allied victories of 1918 were spearheaded by Canadian troops, perhaps the most capable soldiers in the entire British order of battle.

Canada was repaid for its enormous sacrifice by downright neglect, its unique contribution to victory being absorbed into the popular Memory as somehow or other the work of the "British." The Second World War provided a re-run. The Canadian navy began the war with a half dozen vessels, and ended up policing nearly half of the Atlantic against U-boat attack. More than 120 Canadian warships participated in the Normandy landings, during which 15,000 Canadian soldiers went ashore on D-Day alone. Canada finished the war with the third-largest navy and the fourth-largest air force in the world.

The world thanked Canada with the same sublime indifference as it had the previous time. Canadian participation in the war was acknowledged in film only if it was necessary to give an American actor a part in a campaign in which the United States had clearly not participated - a touching scrupulousness which, of course, Hollywood has since abandoned, as it has any notion of a separate Canadian identity.

So it is a general rule that actors and filmmakers arriving in Hollywood keep their nationality - unless, that is, they are Canadian. Thus Mary Pickford, Walter Huston, Donald Sutherland, Michael J. Fox, William Shatner, Norman Jewison, David Cronenberg, Alex Trebek, Art Linkletter and Dan Aykroyd have in the popular perception become American, and Christopher Plummer, British. It is as if, in the very act of becoming famous, a Canadian ceases to be Canadian, unless she is Margaret Atwood, who is as unshakably Canadian as a moose, or Celine Dion, for whom Canada has proved quite unable to find any takers.

Moreover, Canada is every bit as querulously alert to the achievements of its sons and daughters as the rest of the world is completely unaware of them. The Canadians proudly say of themselves - and are unheard by anyone else - that 1% of the world's population has provided 10% of the world's peacekeeping forces. Canadian soldiers in the past half century have been the greatest peacekeepers on Earth - in 39 missions on UN mandates, and six on non-UN peacekeeping duties, from Vietnam to East Timor, from Sinai to Bosnia.

Yet the only foreign engagement that has entered the popular on-Canadian imagination was the sorry affair in Somalia, in which out-of-control paratroopers murdered two Somali infiltrators. Their regiment was then disbanded in disgrace - a uniquely Canadian act of self-abasement for which, naturally, the Canadians received no international credit.

So who today in the United States knows about the stoic and selfless friendship its northern neighbour has given it in Afghanistan? Rather like Cyrano de Bergerac, Canada repeatedly does honourable things for honourable motives, but instead of being thanked for it, it remains something of a figure of fun.

It is the Canadian way, for which Canadians should be proud, yet such honour comes at a high cost. This week, four more grieving Canadian families knew that cost all too tragically well.
                            Thanks BG777. Great article. It just reaffirms my Canadian pride.
                            We've done our share and are mostly overlooked or ignored but we continue to to remain proud of our accomplishments and contributions to world peace. Perhaps if we were "chestbeaters" like our neighbours we might be more recognised for our achievments. But that's ok,suits me just fine. I'm proud we're known as a peaceful nation across the globe.
                            Does anyone care to post about the article or just keep asking for BG777 pics.?
                            Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Re: Re: Oooo Canada... !!!

Originally posted by diamondjimi
                              ...I'm proud we're known as a peaceful nation across the globe. ...
                              You know, some of my American friends tell me that when they travel to Europe (maybe not in England), they pretend to be Canadian... just to avoid conflicts...

When I go there, I see their looks change, when I tell them that I am from Canada (not the U-S)... they becaume more "friendly"!

It was not always like that but really (and sadly)... it is now!

Comment

Working...