PDA

View Full Version : Congressman SHOULD take his Oath on a Quran

LoungeMachine
12-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Newly elected Muslim lawmaker under fire

By Andrea Stone, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — The first Muslim elected to Congress hasn't been sworn into office yet, but his act of allegiance has already been criticized by a conservative commentator.
In a column posted Tuesday on the conservative website Townhall.com, Dennis Prager blasted Minnesota Democrat Keith Ellison's decision to take the oath of office Jan. 4 with his hand on a Quran, the Muslim holy book.

"He should not be allowed to do so," Prager wrote, "not because of any American hostility to the Koran, but because the act undermines American culture."

He said Ellison, a convert from Catholicism, should swear on a Christian Bible — which "America holds as its holiest book. … If you are incapable of taking an oath on that book, don't serve in Congress."

The post generated nearly 800 comments on Townhall.com and sparked a tempest in the conservative blogosphere. Many who posted comments called the United States a Christian country and said Muslims are beginning to gain too much influence. Others wrote about the separation of church and state and said the Constitution protects all religions.

Dave Colling, Ellison's spokesman, said he was unavailable for comment. Earlier, Ellison told the online Minnesota Monitor, "The Constitution guarantees for everyone to take the oath of office on whichever book they prefer. And that's what the freedom of religion is all about."

Colling said Ellison's office has received hundreds of "very bigoted and racist" e-mails and phone calls since Prager's column appeared. "The vast majority said, 'You should resign from office if you're not willing to use the book our country was founded on,' " Colling said.

"Requiring somebody to take an oath of office on a religious text that's not his" violates the Constitution, said Kevin Hasson, president of The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty.

Members of the House of Representatives traditionally raise their right hands and are sworn in together on the floor of the chamber. The ritual sometimes seen as the swearing-in is actually a ceremonial photo op with the speaker of the House that usually involves a Bible.

"They can bring in whatever they want," says Fred Beuttler, deputy historian of the House.

Prager, who is Jewish, wrote that no Mormon elected official has "demanded to put his hand on the Book of Mormon." But Republican Sen. Gordon Smith of Oregon, carried a volume of Mormon scriptures that included the Bible and the Book of Mormon at his swearing-in ceremony in 1997.

Prager, who hosts a radio talk show, could not be reached for comment.

LoungeMachine
12-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

"He should not be allowed to do so," Prager wrote, "not because of any American hostility to the Koran, but because the act undermines American culture."

He said Ellison, a convert from Catholicism, should swear on a Christian Bible — which "America holds as its holiest book. … If you are incapable of taking an oath on that book, don't serve in Congress."

Go fuck yourself Prager. :mad:

What good is an OATH anyway if it's taken on a book the person does not believe in?

This has got to be the stupidest fucking thing I've read in some time.

How Ironic, this country founded on FREEDOM OF RELIGION now has wackjobs telling people they shouldn't hold office unless they swear on The Bible.

Fucking hypocrites:mad:

Dr. Love
12-01-2006, 08:12 PM
I don't hold the Bible to be the holiest book. Fuck you for speaking for me!

FORD
12-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
I don't hold the Bible to be the holiest book. Fuck you for speaking for me!

So what book would you swear on, Doc? ;)

FORD
12-01-2006, 09:20 PM
I guess Dennis the Dickweed didn't hear about this one.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/ff/Lingleinauguration2002.jpg/350px-Lingleinauguration2002.jpg

Gov. Linda Lingle (R-HI) takes the oath of office upon a Jewish Torah on December 2, 2002, at the Hawaii State Capitol rotunda by Hawaii State Supreme Court Chief Justice Ronald Moon.

What an outrage! She must be some sort of America hating Likud terrorist!! :mad:

Please note, the above post was intended as SARCASM

Hardrock69
12-02-2006, 12:44 AM
I would swear on the High Times Grow Bible, Some kind of Fuck Book and Classic Rock Magazine!!!
:cool:

Hardrock69
12-02-2006, 01:14 AM
And by the way....FUCK THAT PRAGAR FUCK!

HE IS NOT WORTHY TO SMELL BELA LUGOSI'S SHIT!!!
:D

BigBadBrian
12-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Go fuck yourself Prager. :mad:

Yeah, imagine Prager for having his own opinion. :rolleyes:

BTW - I think Doc Love would probably swear his allegiance on a HUSTLER. :D

knuckleboner
12-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

yeah, BBB, but you have to admit that it's a pretty crappy opinion...

An individual, except the President, elected or appointed to an office of honor or profit in the civil service or uniformed services, shall take the following oath: “I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

title 5 §3331 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode05/usc_sec_05_00003331----000-.html )

so, in order for me to swear to support the constitution, (including amendment I) i have to disregard amendment I?

(and, which coulter book would you be swearing on?...;))

LoungeMachine
12-02-2006, 03:02 PM

And you'd swear on a signed copy of Mein Kampf.

I'm not telling Prager to fuck himself for voicing an opinion, and you know that.

Don't play dumb.

Hardrock69
12-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Prager is free to voice an opinion.

The Senator is free to be sworn in on the Holy Book of his choice.

So what is the problem?

Va Beach VH Fan
12-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Concur, what the fuck is the problem ??

I must've missed the memo proclaiming the Bible as "Official Religious Document of the United States of America"...

Moreover, he's got every right to say "So help me Allah", if that's what trips his trigger....

Just as he's got the right to say nothing at all in reference to any God...

VanHalener
12-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
I would swear on the High Times Grow Bible, Some kind of Fuck Book and Classic Rock Magazine!!!
:cool:

Let the person swear on whatever they want, I don't care. Just do your job and serve the people the best you can while in office.

Undermine American culture? Prager, you stupid ass, close minded meat whistle!

LoungeMachine
12-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by vanhalener
Let the person swear on whatever they want, I don't care. Just do your job and serve the people the best you can while in office.

Undermine American culture? Prager, you stupid ass, close minded meat whistle!

LMAO

5 stars:D

Nickdfresh
12-03-2006, 05:48 AM

Proof yet again that the Townidiots.com subscribe to racist shiite...

Seshmeister
12-03-2006, 06:55 AM
I don't hold the Bible to be the holiest book.

To be fair it is full of holes...

sadaist
12-03-2006, 12:52 PM

I'm not telling Prager to fuck himself for voicing an opinion, and you know that.

And you wanting him to fuck himself is your opinion. We all have the right to our opinions. If this guy wants to take the oath on a roll of toilet paper, I say let him. Obviously his constituents think enough of him to vote him in. When you start shoving religious beliefs down people's throats, you cause more damage than good. I think that is part of the reason Christianity is losing serious ground. Why do you think we all hate Jehova's Witnesses?

LoungeMachine
12-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by sadaist
And you wanting him to fuck himself is your opinion. We all have the right to our opinions. If this guy wants to take the oath on a roll of toilet paper, I say let him. Obviously his constituents think enough of him to vote him in. When you start shoving religious beliefs down people's throats, you cause more damage than good. I think that is part of the reason Christianity is losing serious ground. Why do you think we all hate Jehova's Witnesses?

I couldn't agree with you more......

......and that scares the lving shit out of me.....

LoungeMachine
12-03-2006, 02:59 PM

UNDERMINING AMERICAN CULTURE?????????????????//

[has this guy ever watched FOX?]

How does one practicing FREEDOM OF RELIGION undermine American culture?

And what does American culture have to do with taking an oath of office?

Again I say...... FUCK YOU PRAGER, AND YOUR FRIEND BIG BAD BRIE, TOO :D

FORD
12-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Dennis Prager is one of those Likud bastards who thinks that any belief system other than Meir Kahane style Judaism is a personal threat to his existence.

Dr. Love
12-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Swearing on books is for noobs. I swear on tits, as often as I can get my hands on them.

LoungeMachine
12-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Swearing on books is for noobs. I swear on tits, as often as I can get my hands on them.

Does that include muslim tits?

Dr. Love
12-04-2006, 01:01 AM
I wasn't aware muslims had tits.

FORD
12-04-2006, 01:50 AM
Would 72 virgins be much of an incentive if they didn't?

Dr. Love
12-04-2006, 07:35 PM
mmmm 144 boobs

LoungeMachine
12-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Math Wiz

Dr. Love
12-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks for noticing

knuckleboner
12-04-2006, 10:43 PM
mmmm 144 boobs

did you just call muslim boobs gross?...

LoungeMachine
12-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
did you just call muslim boobs gross?...

ba-dum-dum tsts

VanHalener
12-20-2006, 11:26 PM
POSTED: 2:28 pm EST December 20, 2006

UPDATED: 9:49 pm EST December 20, 2006WASHINGTON -- A Virginia congressman has warned that "many more Muslims" will be elected demanding to use the Quran unless immigration is tightened.
Republican Rep. Virgil Goode made the comment in a letter to constituents who had written in about Congressman-elect Keith Ellison's decision to use the Quran at his ceremonial swearing-in.
"I do not subscribe to using the Koran in any way," Goode wrote.

"The Muslim Representative from Minnesota was elected by the voters of that district and if American citizens don't wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration, there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Koran," he said. "I fear that in the next century we will have many more Muslims in the United States if we do not adopt the strict immigration policies that I believe are necessary to preserve the values and beliefs traditional to the United States of America."
Ellison, a Minnesota Democrat, is the first Muslim elected to Congress. He was born in Detroit and converted to Islam in college.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations, a civil rights group, called on Goode to apologize for the letter.
"Representative Goode's Islamophobic remarks send a message of intolerance that is unworthy of anyone elected to public office," said Corey Saylor, legislative director for CAIR. "There can be no reasonable defense for such bigotry."
Saylor said Goode's remarks follow a recent commentary by radio talk show host Dennis Prager, a member of the United States Holocaust Memorial Council. Prager that swearing an oath on the Quran "undermines American civilization." CAIR has asked President George W. Bush to remove Prager from the taxpayer-supported council.
A spokesman for Goode said no apology was forthcoming, and that the congressman stands by the letter.

Hey Virgil,
NOT ALL MUSLIMS WANT TO BLOW UP THE WORLD

FORD
12-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Here's a picture of Virgil and friends, supporting their "traditional American beliefs".....

http://anekdota.dyndns.org/jotd31/att-0773/01-klan.jpg

katie
12-21-2006, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by FORD
So what book would you swear on, Doc? ;)

Daves Auto Biog

Now FUCK OFF you fucking sheep

FORD
12-21-2006, 04:01 AM
Die, GUNT.

Angel
12-29-2006, 05:42 PM
How fucking ridiculous!

I've blown a few minds when I refused to swear on a bible. Instead, I make an affirmation.

Is it my imagination, or is the US moving backwards when it comes to racism and tolerance?

BigBadBrian
12-30-2006, 06:55 AM

Which probably isn't too often.

:gulp:

Nickdfresh
12-30-2006, 07:47 AM
Um, have you seen his girlfriend/ex.?

MERRYKISSMASS2U
01-05-2007, 03:05 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/2007/01/04/ellison-koran

stringfelowhawk
01-05-2007, 05:45 PM
“ Originally posted by Dr. Love
Swearing on books is for noobs. I swear on tits, as often as I can get my hands on them. ”

Does that include muslim tits?

[Post #22]

Only if she ain't fat cause they hate pork!