PDA

View Full Version : Serious question re: Shemp

Bo Nozos
12-12-2006, 02:57 AM
Why is the Uglier, Less Talented Van Halen Brother such a royal dickhead?

Ed, Sam and Bassplayer are a Sack of Assholes, no question, and they deserve all the lumps they take here, but it seems to me that Shemp has said some of the harshest things of all about Dave.

He has two very different tactics that I've noticed. The first is to speak all calmly and rationally and pretend he's stating reasonable facts when he isn't. Case in point, on that MTV special back when they first got together with Sammy -- where he claimed that Warner Brothers had wanted Sammy to be the lead singer from the very beginning, etc. Or more recently, during the What A Joke Tour of 2004, where he went on national radio and talked about how no one is a bigger Van Halen van than the guys in Van Hagar, but Dave just can't hack it and would never be part of Van Halen again (p.s. hope you eat those words in 2007, bitch).

The second tactic is to just be a bitchy girl, even worse than Sammy sometimes. I'm thinking back to a Van Halen retrospective one of the big guitar mags did a few years ago. Shemp was quoted as saying the only reason Dave was asked to join the band was because he owned a PA system -- the exact quote was something like, "He couldn't sing for shit, but he had a PA system. We thought he'd get better, but he never did." What a douchebag. The article was a celebration of Halen, a quarter century later, and that's what he says about Dave. For all of Ed's talent, that band likely would never have gotten a deal with DLR and Shemp knows it. Again -- what a douchebag!

Does anyone know why Shemp is this way? Secret love affair with Sammy? Bitter over all of his divorces? Frustrated by living in the shadow of his mentally challenged brother, much as Sammy lives in the shadow of Dave? Some other reason?

binnie
12-12-2006, 03:52 AM
Alex is a bitchy asshole.

I used to think he was the boss in VH. Now I realise that he wanted to be the boss, but couldn't be because Ed was. He is also insanely jealous of the attention Ed gets as a guitar player, whilst he gets next to none as a drummer...

Coyote
12-12-2006, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by binnie
He is also insanely jealous of the attention Ed gets as a guitar player, whilst he gets next to none as a drummer...

Makes for better drum solos.

Wawazat
12-12-2006, 04:31 AM
What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?
A drummer.

Panamark
12-12-2006, 05:19 AM
Whenever I wanted to piss off Drummers I called
them a "Glorified Metronome"

lol....

HFT intro kicks serious ass... One of the best
and most recognizeable pieces
of drumming ever (in my opinion)

Asshole or not, Al can play..

ThrillsNSpills
12-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Whenever I wanted to piss off Drummers I called
them a "Glorified Metronome"

lol....

HFT intro kicks serious ass... One of the best
and most recognizeable pieces
of drumming ever (in my opinion)

Asshole or not, Al can play..

Think of this thread next time you hear House of Pain, Light Up the Sky, Hang em High, even certain accents in Drop Dead Legs. The guy is a groove machine, yes he can play.

And whenever they badmouth Dave it's always about personality conflicts and not about his creative contributions to the band, (save for some early knocks on his range)
Nobody sold an album at release time like Roth, he was gifted dealing with the media, the lyrics were awesome, and if anyone caught that band live or remember the live videos like Montreal '84 where Dave does a flip over Michael Anthony right before launching into the tune, an unbelievable showman.

When Roth left, someone in that fold had to say something to the media, and with all the abandonment issues plus half the popularity, it's no surprise that Al would say negative shit to the media about Dave,
He sure as hell couldn't sell Sammy as a pioneer, could he?

Diamondjimi
12-12-2006, 08:23 PM
What did the drummer get on his I.Q. test ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/GoodboyShempy.jpg

Drool !