PDA

View Full Version : Evil Knievel sues Kanye West!

BITEYOASS
12-12-2006, 02:33 PM
By MITCH STACY, Associated Press Writer
36 minutes ago

TAMPA, Fla. - Evel Knievel has sued Kanye West, taking issue with a music video in which the rapper takes on the persona of "Evel Kanyevel" and tries to jump a rocket-powered motorcycle over a canyon.

Knievel, whose real name is Robert Craig Knievel, filed a lawsuit in federal court in Tampa on Monday claiming infringement on his trademark name and likeness. He also claims the "vulgar and offensive" images depicted in the video damage his reputation.

"That video that Kanye West put out is the most worthless piece of crap I've ever seen in my life, and he uses my image to catapult himself on the public," the 68-year-old daredevil said Tuesday.

A spokesman for West said the 28-year-old rapper no comment. The lawsuit seeks damages and to halt distribution of the video.

In the video for "Touch the Sky," released earlier this year, West dons the familiar Knievel star-studded jumpsuit and jumps a canyon in a vehicle "visually indistinguishable" from the one used by Knievel in his failed attempt to jump the Snake River Canyon in Idaho in 1974, the lawsuit said.

The video, which features Pamela Anderson as West's girlfriend, contains "vulgar and offensive sexual images, language and conduct involving `Evel Kanyevel' and women apparently trying to gain his sexual interest," according to the lawsuit.

"The guy just went too far using me to promote his filth to the world," said Knievel, who lives in Clearwater and has been in poor health in recent years. "I'm not in any way that kind of a person."

The lawsuit also names Roc-A-Fella Records, video director Chris Milk and AOL for distributing it.

West was so disappointed at not winning best video for "Touch the Sky" at the MTV Europe Music Awards last month that he crashed the stage when it was presented to Justice and Simian for "We Are Your Friends."

In a tirade riddled with expletives, West said he should have won the prize because it "cost a million dollars, Pamela Anderson was in it. I was jumping across canyons."

Knievel failed spectacularly in the 1974 jump. He was secured inside the cockpit and the Sky-Cycle was fired up. But his parachute opened just as he cleared the ramp. After soaring about 1,000 feet, he wound up landing about 20 feet from the river on the rocky south bank. He sustained only scrapes and bruises.

In the video, West's vehicle crashes to the bottom of the canyon in flames.

DrMaddVibe
12-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Too bad life can't imitate art in his case!

I hope Evel gets a suitcase of money out of this rapping asshole.

ALMOSTsaved
12-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Too bad life can't imitate art in his case!

I hope Evel gets a suitcase of money out of this rapping asshole.

Agreed!

SparkieD
12-12-2006, 03:34 PM
I hope like hell Evel wins, but unfortunately, it won't shut that bastard Kanye up.

Steve Savicki
12-12-2006, 03:53 PM
This has to be a very technical case. Suing for a motorcycle in the air? How many times have we seen motorcycle stunts, either real or fake for videos?

I am not by any means supporting Kayne, I don't have any CDs/movies by him; I'm just curious as to how this lawsuit will work out as in the legalities.

BITEYOASS
12-12-2006, 11:19 PM
I know Kanye is gonna pull that race card BS, he'll probably bitch about it on his next album. :rolleyes:

FORD
12-12-2006, 11:32 PM
http://www.willisms.com/archives/kanyewest.gif
KANYE: Evel Knievel hates black people!!

MYERS: Is he related to Dr. Evil?

bueno bob
12-13-2006, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
This has to be a very technical case. Suing for a motorcycle in the air? How many times have we seen motorcycle stunts, either real or fake for videos?

I am not by any means supporting Kayne, I don't have any CDs/movies by him; I'm just curious as to how this lawsuit will work out as in the legalities.

Well, by taking the route of being "Evel Kanyevel", there's a legitimate case there for misrepresentation, depending on what kind of trademark Evel has over his name and/or image, and how it's protrayed or spoofed...

That'll all come out in court, if they don't settle outside of...my guess is there'll be a out of court settlement and Kanye will probably have to re-edit the footage if Evel has a decent trademark on his own likeness...and I'd imagine he probably does...

We'll see.

Tiki-Tom
12-15-2006, 01:55 AM
Someone told me that a few year's ago Kanye West had his jaw wired shut after a bad car accident. It would have been nice if they could have kept that jackass's jaw wired shut forever.

Roy Munson
12-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
Someone told me that a few year's ago Kanye West had his jaw wired shut after a bad car accident. It would have been nice if they could have kept that jackass's jaw wired shut forever.

Is that why he looks like a fucking chipmunk?

Coyote
12-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Roy Munson
Is that why he looks like a fucking chipmunk?

It's also the reason why some people think he's a mushmouth...

ODShowtime
12-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Man old Evil was raisin' hell on the radio down here yesterday. He has NO respect for kanye. It was funny.