PDA

View Full Version : Update on New Metallica album

PHOENIX
12-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Launch Radio Networks reports: Metallica has written about 25 songs for its ninth studio effort and is now concentrating on trimming that list to one album's worth of material, which it will begin recording in January. Drummer Lars Ulrich told Launch on Tuesday (December 5) that the band's summer European tour, on which Metallica played its classic 1986 album "Master of Puppets" in its entirety, paved the way for the sound of the new album. "What I hear sounds very lively, very spunky, got a lot of energy," he said. "I think that the shows we played over the summer, we were definitely leaner and kind of in better shape than we've been in a long time. I mean, having to deliver 'Master of Puppets' for three months this summer definitely revitalized some of that stuff in us, and it's been kind of fun having that in the back of our mind as we've been going through this process. I don't know what else to say.

Referring to the controversial, low-fi production on 2003's "St. Anger", Ulrich said that he's "taken the drums out of the cardboard boxes" this time, and that lead guitarist Kirk Hammett will lay down guitar solos on this record.

The new disc will be produced by Rick Rubin and is expected out by late 2007.

Mr. Vengeance
12-12-2006, 07:27 PM
I have to say that I just cannot get all that worked up about Metallica albums anymore. They just aren't the band they used to be. Every release is supposed to somehow be a throwback to Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets. They said that same shit about St. Anger. What did we get? Tinny sound and drums that sounded like Lars farting on a snare drum (name the movie that quote is from). So, I'm not buying the RTL, MOP stuff anymore.

Tiki-Tom
12-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Or to put it another way, Metallica prepare to discharge another mediocre, drink coaster worthy disc of songs that Lars and Co. would like you to think is 'Master of Puppets' Mach 2.......

bueno bob
12-13-2006, 03:33 AM
The new songs they've played live don't mean shit, either. I remember when everybody got their panties in a bunch about St. Anger when they were previewing that album live, before it's release...

"METALLICA'S BACK!!! METALLICA'S BACK!!! OH MY GOD, ST. ANGER'S GONNA SOUND JUST LIKE 'MASTER OF PUPPETS'!!! HOLY SHIT!!!", blah blah blah.

Didn't quite end up being the case, did it?

Metallica's too old and too dysfunctional to be able to harken back to the days of yore. James is still singing emo-metal, anyway, so that doesn't help to add any spark...

Hey, if I'm wrong, I'll be the first to eat my hat...but at best, I'm guessing they'll pull off a black album clone...only worse...

DrMaddVibe
12-13-2006, 09:25 AM
So when is "Some Kind of Metallica" going to be released?

LMAO!

Put a fork in their greedy asses!

They died with Cliff!

DrMaddVibe
12-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Lars heard "very spunky"?

Maybe at his boyfriends house!!!!!

bueno bob
12-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
So when is "Some Kind of Metallica" going to be released?

Right after the "Some Kind of Mystery" EP and their first greatest hits album, "Some Kind of Magic"...

Steve Savicki
12-13-2006, 10:03 AM
"And Justice For All" follows "Master of Puppets" just like "5150" followed "1984" - replacements were bassist vs. singer, but at this point, never paid much attention whether Met were going to release a new album or not.
Last Metallica search I did was for some Cliff Burton tribute pages.

Tiki-Tom
12-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Right after the "Some Kind of Mystery" EP and their first greatest hits album, "Some Kind of Magic"...

"Some Kind of Symphonic Shit, Live and Regurgitated" will follow soon after said EP.

Mr. Vengeance
12-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
"And Justice For All" follows "Master of Puppets" just like "5150" followed "1984" - replacements were bassist vs. singer, but at this point, never paid much attention whether Met were going to release a new album or not.
Last Metallica search I did was for some Cliff Burton tribute pages.

Actually "Justice" was a great album. I even loved "Metallica" (black album)...It's after that with Load, Re-Load, Re-peat, Re-play, Re-gurgitate albums that I saw they were lost.

pflo
12-14-2006, 12:00 AM
I do kinda like one of those new songs of the two, the "misfits" sounding one.If they keep it fast and loose in the studio, and mix it like Garage Days, it will smoke.It does stick in the brain.

binnie
12-14-2006, 04:35 AM
I've got high hopes.

If anyone can make them see the light, it's Rubin!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
12-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by chan_bkny
Anybody hear the the album of lullaby renditions of Metallica songs? I'm curious as to how "Anesthesia" will sound lullaby-style.

I have it.

If you want it in MP3 form, PM me.

Hardrock69
12-14-2006, 01:32 PM
I will go see them live the next time they come through here.

They may put out suckass studio shit, but they still play their old good stuff with some serious intensity when in concert.

bueno bob
12-14-2006, 02:56 PM
When James doesn't emo all his vocals to it... :rolleyes:

Does he do that EVERY concert now? The last footage I saw he was trying to be melodic and soulful to Battery, and it sucked ass badly.

pflo
12-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by chan_bkny
I must have not been paying attention lately. Where can I check out these new songs, especially the "Misfits-sounding one?" Thanks. Youtube, enter "new metallica song". Theres one that has no real video, but a soundboard mix, its good. They are still sussing out the lyrics here, but the gist of it is catchy and Kill em All ish.

pflo
12-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Thats the one. I hated it at first, but now its one that pops into the brain at work and wont go.Thats a good sign....Like i say, if they keep it raw on the record (although not St Anger raw), it will kill. Impressive for a bunch of 40 plus year olds.

Tiki-Tom
12-15-2006, 02:03 AM
Kill em All ish? I think not. That new crap is nowhere near on par with the first three or even fourth Metallica records. If you think it is then it's gotta be wishful thinking.

binnie
12-15-2006, 03:40 AM
There was a bootleg version of a second song that got taken off youtube.

That really was Kill em All esque. The riff reminded me of Metal Militia, and Hammet was doing Hit the Lights style lead work....

I'm not expecting the new record to be anywhere near 83-91, how could it be?

Men in the their mid-40's ain't gonna make records like they did in their mid-20's. We should be hoping for younger bands to step up to the plate and make the "great" records. I just want something half-decent.

Load-St Anger has been one experiment after another, and I love all those records, but it's time for Metallican to start being Metallica again...

SparkieD
12-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Men in the their mid-40's ain't gonna make records like they did in their mid-20's.

Then please explain Megadeth, Overkill, Slayer just to name a few.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
12-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by SparkieD
Then please explain Megadeth, Overkill, Slayer just to name a few.

Seriously.... and yet they all want a 50+ year old to reunite VH...

pflo
12-16-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
Kill em All ish? I think not. That new crap is nowhere near on par with the first three or even fourth Metallica records. If you think it is then it's gotta be wishful thinking. Youre right, its actually BETTER than Kill Em. I stand corrected. ......and you stink.:)

Tiki-Tom
12-16-2006, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by pflo
Youre right, its actually BETTER than Kill Em. I stand corrected. ......and you stink.:)

Yep, and Lars just called and said he wants his bitch back. He misses you. The Metallica PR machine is gearing up and he wants to assemble the troops:p