PDA

View Full Version : Ahmet Etegun, Atlantic Records Founder is seriously ill

Hardrock69
12-13-2006, 11:35 AM
According to Reuters, Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun, who helped LED ZEPPELIN became stars, is in a coma after injuring his brain in a fall, his doctor said on Monday.

Dr. Howard Riina, his neurosurgeon, told Reuters in a telephone interview that the music industry legend "sustained a severe brain injury after a fall. He's in a deep coma and in critical condition. His chance of a meaningful recovery is small."

Riina said Ertegun, 83, was on life support in a neurological intensive care unit at Weill Cornell Medical Center. Asked when a decision might be made about continuing to provide life support to Ertegun, Riina said, "It's not clear at this point. He remains critically ill. He's still very sick."

BITEYOASS
12-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Pretty sad, Booger from "Revenge of the Nerds" did a good job in portraying him from the movie "Ray".

Steve Savicki
12-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Dupe from yesterday: http://rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42398 .

Hardrock69
12-13-2006, 12:58 PM
No. I jumped into my time machine 2 days ago, and I came forward in time and posted this now.

Yours is the dupe.
:D

Coyote
12-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Doesn't matter much...

FORD
12-13-2006, 03:24 PM
The guy took a small R&B label and made it the home of some of the biggest bands on the planet. The Rolling Stones, Zeppelin, Yes, Ac/Dc, Eric Clapton, even the Bee Gees were Atlantic/ATCO artists (at least in the US) at one time or another. Even the Beatles historic first recordings (made in Hamburg Germany in 1961) were first released in this country on ATCO records. (made possible through Atlantic's distribution of the Germany based Polydor records)

No question that Ertegun has been a giant in the record business. Replacing him will be about as difficult as replacing some of the bands he signed over the years

Mr Badguy
12-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by FORD
The Rolling Stones, Zeppelin, Yes, Ac/Dc, Eric Clapton, even the Bee Gees were Atlantic/ATCO artists (at least in the US) at one time or another.

You forgot Emerson, Lake and Palmer, FORD.

:D

FORD
12-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Yes I did. I guess they deserve to be mentioned if the Bee Gees were. And King Crimson too, as long as were going that route.