X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrMaddVibe
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

The Balance of Power

Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson of South Dakota suffered a possible stroke Wednesday and was taken to a Washington hospital, his office said.
    Johnson became disoriented during a call with reporters at midday, stuttering in response to a question. He appeared to recover, asking if there were any additional questions before ending the call.

If he should be unable to continue to serve, it could halt the scheduled Democratic takeover of the Senate. Democrats won a 51-49 majority in the November election. South Dakota's governor, who would appoint any temporary replacement, is a Republican.

Johnson spokeswoman Julianne Fisher said he had walked back to his Capitol office after the call with reporters but appeared to not be feeling well. The Capitol physician came to his office and examined him, and it decided he needed to go to the hospital.

He was taken by ambulance to George Washington University Hospital around noon, Fisher said.

"It was caught very early," she said.

Johnson's office released a statement saying he had suffered a possible stroke.

"At this stage, he is undergoing a comprehensive evaluation by the stroke team," the statement read.

The White House issued a statement wishing him a speedy recovery.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Senator Johnson and his family," said spokesman Alex Conant.

If the two-term senator, 59, is unable to serve when the 110th Congress convenes Jan. 4, South Dakota Gov. Mike Rounds would appoint a replacement. Johnson had surgery for prostate cancer in 2004. He is up for re-election in 2008.

South Dakota Secretary of State Chris Nelson said there are no special restrictions on such an appointment and a replacement would not have to be from the same political party.

Johnson turns 60 on Dec. 28. The centrist Democrat was elected to the Senate in 1996 and has been one of the more reserved members of the chamber, rarely taking center stage at news conferences.

He served in the House for 10 years from 1987 to 1997. His focus has been on committee assignments important to his state's interests _ Indian Affairs and Energy and Natural Resources _ as well as a spot on Appropriations. The latter allows him to direct funds to South Dakota.

Johnson has worked as a lawyer and county prosecutor and served several years in the 1970s and 1980s in the South Dakota state Legislature.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Berlin (AFP) – The German FA’s (DFB) inquiry into the 2006 World Cup scandal is set to cost around 3.5 million euros ($3.83m), interim
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif
  • katie
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Nov 2004

YAWN Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................................

Comment

• Lqskdiver
      Sniper
      • Jun 2004

Let's hope he pulls, huh. No one's politics is above their health.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Stay out of this forum if you have nothing to contribute, bitch.

Same with main, for that matter.

If you were ACTUALLY British, as opposed to an AOL troll, I'd tell you to hop a plane to Florida and get over your obsession with AssVibe already, since you stalk him from thread to thread.

But this topic is serious. it affects the future of this country. I.e. there won't be one if republicans manage to steal control of the Senate again.

And if they do it this way, they are TRULY scumbags.

BTW, I forget which state, but there's actually a Republican senator somewhere who's also questionable for duty.

My honest belief, in either case, is that the will of the people of that state should be respected. If Johnson should die or be incapacitaed and unable to serve, the governor should appoint a Democrat to finish his term. And in the case of the other state, a Republican should be appointed to fill that seat if neccessary.

Or appoint their spouses to fill the positions, as Jean Carnahan did for her husband, or Mary Bono did when Sonny smacked his head into a tree.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Er, the previous rant was directed at Katie, not Lq.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

frod, how can you blame anyone else for a stroke?

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
              frod, how can you blame anyone else for a stroke?
              I'm not blaming anyone else for a stroke. At least not in this case. Ariel Sharon - that's a different story.

Anyway, my point is political opportunism coming from such a tragedy, should Johnson not recover. That would be just plain WRONG.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• katie
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                Stay out of this forum if you have nothing to contribute, bitch.

Same with main, for that matter.

The main has EVH news dumb ass!

So Fuck Off you boring little cunt.
                Ban me if you feel that you are being owned (LOL)
                It’s about time you did some fucking moderating!
                Until then I shalll say what i fucking like.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Whatever, you fat mental whore.....
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• katie
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Nov 2004

Whatever, you fat mental whore.....

Baited & OWNED!!! (LOL)

Comment

• scamper
                      Commando
                      • May 2005

My honest belief, in either case, is that the will of the people of that state should be respected. If Johnson should die or be incapacitaed and unable to serve, the governor should appoint a Democrat to finish his term.
                      Hopefully Tim will be OK, but we didn't vote a democrat in, we voted Tim Johnson in because he is a good man. I met with him once for about an hour and he is truely a caring person who is looking out for our state. As far as that goes we voted John Thune and Stephanie Herseth in because they too were the right people for the job not because they were republican or democrat. Get Well Tim....

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Get well Tim. And get hit by a bus, FlAB.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                          Commando
                          • Mar 2004

I'm waiting for the inevitable kook theory that this "stroke" was actually the result of an evil plot of the Wascally Wepubwicans

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

S.D. Sen. Johnson in Critical Condition
                            Dec 14 9:23 AM US/Eastern

By MARY CLARE JALONICK
                            Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson was in critical condition Thursday after late-night brain surgery, creating political drama about which party will control the Senate next month if he is unable to continue in office.
                            Johnson suffered from bleeding in the brain caused by a congenital arteriovenous malformation, the U.S. Capitol physician said, describing the surgery as succesful.

"The senator is recovering without complication," the physician, Adm. John Eisold, said. "It is premature to determine whether further surgery will be required or to assess any long-term prognosis."

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

But this topic is serious. it affects the future of this country. I.e. there won't be one if republicans manage to steal control of the Senate again.

And if they do it this way, they are TRULY scumbags.

FORD, get off of your high, hypocritical horse.

My best wishes go to Senator Johnson and I actually hope he does recover and take his seat when the Senater reconvenes. If not, and if the Republican Governor of SD appoints a Republican in his place, that's just too fucking bad, right? That's the way the system works. If the shoe was on the other foot, you'd be giggling your ass off.
                              “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

Working...