X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tiki-Tom
    Commando
    • Apr 2006

Unrealized potential

Some of my favorite records have been by groups that never quite got the chance to acheive mass appeal for whatever reason.

For instance, every time I listen to Mother Love Bone, I can't help but wonder what more they would have acheived had Andrew Wood not died so soon. Wood took a page from DLR with his witty "off the chain" lyrics and flamboyant presence and put his own unique funk/rock spin on it. He passed away in 1990 just before the release of their their first and only album "Apple." Rarely do I play that or their EP "Shine" around other people and someone not take notice. I really feel they would've been huge-one of the biggest bands of the nineties. Instead, we ended up with Pearl Jam who I know a lot of you get into but just not my thing.

Really interested to hear if anybody else here has any favorites that shoulda, coulda, but didn't.

Last edited by Tiki-Tom; 12-20-2006, 02:20 AM.
    [
  • MERRYKISSMASS2U
    Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Actually, I just checked out Mother Love Bone tonight because of Binnie..... I like it!

Comment

• Tiki-Tom
      Commando
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
      Actually, I just checked out Mother Love Bone tonight because of Binnie..... I like it!
      Cool, They have been on the top of my favorites list for years. If you get the chance to hunt it down, there is a lot of demo stuff by Andrew Wood's former band Malfunkshun floating around. It's worth looking up also.

MALFUNKSHUN - MR LIBERTY - JEZEBEL WOMAN
      <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xevvdh97cdI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xevvdh97cdI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mother Love Bone- Holy Roller
      <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDY2DVju1c4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDY2DVju1c4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mother Love Bone - Stardog Champion
      <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-G63MrbCYvU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-G63MrbCYvU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mother Love Bone - Chloe Dancer - Crown of Thorns
      <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rqwTDt2dBVU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rqwTDt2dBVU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
      Last edited by Tiki-Tom; 12-20-2006, 02:54 AM.
      [

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
        Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

I'm downloading "Malfunkshun - Return to Olympus" right now.

Comment

• Tiki-Tom
          Commando
          • Apr 2006

Great ,Let me know what you think.
          It's not as good as MLB but still great for a low grade/budget recording. Rest in Peace Andrew Wood.... January , 1966 – March 19, 1990
          Last edited by Tiki-Tom; 12-20-2006, 03:06 AM.
          [

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Mother Love Bone were just magical....
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Tiki, I know exactly what you mean about loving records from bands that should have been bigger.

Case in point

Badlands.

Their first record, in particular, kicks major ass. Jake E Lee is such an underrated player and he wrote killer fuckin riffs. Ray Gillan's voice was also spectacualr. They didn't do anything new, but they rocked big time.

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Another record I recommend

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come (possibly the Sound of Punk to come, I'm drunk and can't remember)

Came out in 1996, rocked like a beast. They were very poltical punk band, who pretty much revolutionised underground harcore punk and got ripped off big time by At the Drive in etc five years later. This record is stagering, if you like punk.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Corrosion of Conformity.

Not enough people appreciate this band. The Pepper Keenan era in particualr is flawless: reallt heavy, but based on great tunes.

Deliverence (1994)

Wiseblood (1996)

America's Volume Dealer (a different sound, more stoner feel but still great)

In the Arms of God (best record I've heard for years - 2004)

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

Warroir Soul.

Kory CLarke and co were great. Fucked up heavy metal, and at times plain weird.

No big-ego performances on these records, it's all about songs not musicianship.

Loud, pummeling heavy metal with an intelligent twist. You'll not have heard anything like it.

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Fu Manchu.

Possibly music's best kept secret.

Funky, stoner rock. More Sabbath than Sabbath, groovy as hell.

I've never met anyone who's heard them and not liked them.

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Finally, I would recommend and English rock n roll band The Wildhearts.

Great heavy rock with big hooks, dirty vibes and groove. Drunks with a sense of humour,

Check out Earth vs The Wildhearts (I don't think you'll be dissapointed!)

Comment

• Hardrock69
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2005

Michael Schenker Group....

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Another vote for Landrew and Mother Love Bone. They could have been huge. Probably more so than Pearl Jam turned out to be. Like Jimi before him, and Kurt & Layne after, so much fucking potential gone way too soon

There was a band from the 90's called "Sublime" who I thought had potential. They had a rock reggae mix which didn't sound totally ridiculous (like most white boys trying to do reggae)

They also had a bit of Chili Peppers influence. Maybe a little too much, since lead singer Bradley Nowell stuck a needle in himself and overdosed just as their career was taking off.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And in a different sort of tragedy.......

The 77s are STILL the best band in America that nobody has fucking heard of!!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pRTh6toL8Ns"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pRTh6toL8Ns" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...