PDA

View Full Version : Is Today the Day?

Nickdfresh
12-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Dave was asked a question by a caller in regards to a classic Van Halen reunion on his short lived radio show. He basically said that every year around this time (from about shortly before Christmas to about the week after New Years, but mainly on New Years Eve or Day), his people call Ed's people in regards to working together.

Is this where it begins?

Will Dave hold out for equal band status for the original four?

Matt White
12-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Lets keep our fingers crossed...................

stranger things have happened.........................

diamondsgirl
12-31-2006, 04:27 PM
The suspense is killing me...

jhale667
12-31-2006, 04:29 PM
Keepin' hope alive! :baaa:

WACF
12-31-2006, 04:31 PM
I think with the media spin coming from Eddie the call is already made...or at the very least Eddie is hinting he is ready for it.

Now we just have to sit back and watch Eddie fuck it up in 07......

thetoolrules
12-31-2006, 04:33 PM
dave should only do it if he is an equal member, not a peter criss/ace frehley desperation deal.

thetoolrules
12-31-2006, 04:34 PM
also, demand 20 minutes each night of the show to bring out his midget posse and do the jackattack.

Matt White
12-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by thetoolrules
also, demand 20 minutes each night of the show to bring out his midget posse and do the jackattack.

Damn...sure was a shame tyhe 'tool got banned....:p

If DAVE ever puts classic VAN HALEN back together...that would be cool.....

Nickdfresh
12-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Personally, and this is my optimistic side you won't see here often --I think Dave will hold out for Anthony and that Ed really has no intention of plugging in his "sexy" son on bass anyhoo, and is just jamming with him to get his CVH chops back in lieu of Mikey. I also think his girlfriend is a bit of a retard that doesn't have much of a clue regarding Van Halen, and just spouted off without knowing what the fuck she was talking about nor the implications as such.

Just a hunch...

jhale667
12-31-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Personally, and this is my optimistic side you won't see here often --I think Dave will hold out for Anthony and that Ed really has no intention of plugging in his "sexy" son on bass anyhoo, and is just jamming with him to get his CVH chops back in lieu of Mikey. I also think his girlfriend is a bit of a retard that doesn't have much of a clue regarding Van Halen, and just spouted off without knowing what the fuck she was talking about nor the implications as such.

Just a hunch...

Think you may be on to something there...;)

POJO_Risin
12-31-2006, 05:07 PM
I hope that's the case nick...

but I doubt it...

spED has no intention of using Michael...none...

FORD
12-31-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by thetoolrules
dave should only do it if he is an equal member, not a peter criss/ace frehley desperation deal.

Shit, where did THAT come from??

Did someone change your medication? I believe that's the first time you posted something that made sense.

jhale667
12-31-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
I hope that's the case nick...

but I doubt it...

spED has no intention of using Michael...none...

..I'm hoping cooler heads prevail here, and logic wins (I know, it's a stretch)...I don't care if Wolfie is the second coming of Christ, anybody who plays an instrument knows at three months, even if (let's just say) the kid has the chops, he doesn't yet have the STAMINA, or even the CALLOUSES to pull of a two-hour set night after night on what could become a several month tour. C'mon. Plus there's the whole missing vocal element...think Wolfie can play competently AND magically hit the high notes? Again, nothing against the kid, but what are the odds?

And oh yeah, HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody....! :D

POJO_Risin
12-31-2006, 05:20 PM
I don't care if he has the stamina...the chops...the callouses...lmfao...

he's not part of Van Halen...

which makes it NOT VAN HALEN...period....

Personally...I would love it...because the kid will get shredded. And that doesn't make me happy...no kid deserves that...

but whose fault will that be?

jhale667
12-31-2006, 05:24 PM

Personally...I would love it...because the kid will get shredded. And that doesn't make me happy...no kid deserves that...

I agree. If he's there it ain't a REUNION, y'know? And it would suck to see that happen to a kid. ANY kid...

POJO_Risin
12-31-2006, 05:28 PM
I heard someone comparing Jason Bonham to Wolfie...and that comparison just ain't happening.

Bonzo is dead...can't come back...period...So his son...who's a bonafide drummer can step in on occasion...and even then...I think any Zepp fan will say it's more of a tribute than Led Zeppelin...

A better comparison would be Plant using his son or son-in-law to play guitar instead of Page...or Jones...and calling it Led Zeppelin...

it's fucking ridiculous...

To think that HE WASN'T EVEN BORN WHEN VAN HALEN WAS VAN HALEN...

is enough for me to boo them...no matter what he does...

POJO_Risin
12-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Fuck it...

You want to use the Van Halen name?

call it "The Van Halen Project..."

carries a lot of meanings...

Family meaning...

Old Van Halen with Roth meaning...

but to fucking sell it as a fucking Van Halen album is ridiculous...

or a tour...

Nickdfresh
12-31-2006, 05:30 PM

Dead on! You are correct sir.

But I think even Ed realizes that exposing his son to grueling press and message board pricks :) would be a pretty shitty thing to do as a father (not to mention the exposure to drugs, booze, and clap-ridden groupies). I'm thinkin' Val wouldn't be thrilled either. I'm sure he was pissed about Anthony's airing of the "dirty laundry," but he really had it comin.'

In any case, I think I've discovered that despite the history and any logical inclinations against this, I still have a soft-spot and a little faith in Ed. 1996 pretty much destroyed it, but I'm hoping against hope that this is a second, and really last, chance to get it right and to go out as something of a relevant rock act will happen. I really want to see an album, then a tour. This would pretty much put to rest any "cash grab" accusations and give the band some integrity and legitimacy they've lacked for some years now.

I think even Ed wants to go out on top, and maybe 2004 woke him the fuck up out of his stupor. Who knows, it will be at least April before we know anything...

In anycase, Happy New Years...:guzzle:

jhale667
12-31-2006, 05:35 PM
I heard someone comparing Jason Bonham to Wolfie...and that comparison just ain't happening.

No, Jason has been playing SINCE he was three months...lol :D

POJO_Risin
12-31-2006, 05:38 PM
Well...it's funny...I went through a bunch of old VHS tapes...and came across all the 1996 stuff...

and it struck me as interesting...

MTV kept asking...Kurt Loder in particular..."Were you clear to Dave that he wasn't back in the band..."

and they kept saying, "Yes, we kept telling him baby steps. I don't know how much clearer we could be about it."

I was laughing my ass off thinking...doesn't baby steps mean that you are taking things one thing at a time?...and that there are "STEPS?"

Then Alex says, "If you think this is about publicity, I'll take my quarter vote in this band (which made me chuckle in and of itself) and pull those 2 songs off the album." Then he looks dead straight into the camera and says, "Did you hear that Dave, OFF THE ALBUM."

I was really laughing...because the album was coming out on the following Tuesday...it was the weekly news segment they were on...which was...

on Sunday...

morons...

utter morons...

Nick...sober or drunk...I don't think spED has any idea it's a bad thing to do as a father. I'm sure he looks back to his childhood, and sees a bunch of similarities. And Val...it's pretty apparent to me that she's taking a backseat in all of this.

I see what you are saying about "going out on top..."

but that being said, I don't know that we've seen anything other than bitter cockiness and expectations from spED since 1996.

I'm an optimist...

but this won't happen...

it makes to much sense...

diamondsgirl
12-31-2006, 06:05 PM
As soon as one person says something negative about Wolfgang, Ed will lose his fucking mind.

I predict melee.

WACF
12-31-2006, 08:11 PM
I hope your are right Nick.

My thought on this is that Ed is fucked up and does not grasp reality...which makes him more of a dick as he tries take control.
I believe he wants Wolfie there...and has not even thought about what it would do to the kid.

I have a hard time believing Val would allow it...she knows how fucked up Ed is...why would she let her son go on the road with that.

katie
12-31-2006, 08:41 PM
Yawn....Same story different thread title!

vh rides again
12-31-2006, 08:44 PM
i think that it is a possibility that edward may have seen the light and knows hes not long on this earth.
look at it this way, he was in the biggest band on earth and wasnt happy.
he regrouped and had a pretty succesful band with a tequila peddler and wasnt happy, and basicly made everyone around him miserable.
he got cancer
he got divorced from someone i really believe he liked.
even tho hes eddy vanhalen, supreme badass motherfucker of the century, his world is a bag full of assholes.
i think his looks are from the cancer, not from drugs although im sure he does em.

i think hes seen his mortality and wants to go out with his kid experiencing what he experienced his whole adult life.

i dont think eddie will be around in 5 years.
but i hope im wrong.

FORD
12-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
No, Jason has been playing SINCE he was three months...lol :D

I heard some Physical Graffiti outtakes a few years back. Among them was a version of "Trampled Underfoot" with Jason on drums (Don't know where his dad was at the time). The drumming was by no means up to John Bonham standards at that point, but it was a solid drum track that could probably hold it's own against half the drummers on the charts today and maybe even some back in 1975. And Jason was all of 12 at the time.

I heard some of Wolfie jamming with his dad on the Velveetapalooza 2004 boots and I wouldn't rate him at a comparable skill level to Jason at the same age at all.

Not that it's really relevant to compare guitarists to drummers, but since the subject was already raised, what the fuck.

katie
12-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Which tells me you know fuck all about Led Zep history and even less about guitarists.

FORD
12-31-2006, 09:01 PM
Gunt, I've forgotten more about Zeppelin than you'll ever know

Terry
12-31-2006, 10:09 PM
Well...it's funny...I went through a bunch of old VHS tapes...and came across all the 1996 stuff...

and it struck me as interesting...

MTV kept asking...Kurt Loder in particular..."Were you clear to Dave that he wasn't back in the band..."

and they kept saying, "Yes, we kept telling him baby steps. I don't know how much clearer we could be about it."

I was laughing my ass off thinking...doesn't baby steps mean that you are taking things one thing at a time?...and that there are "STEPS?"

Then Alex says, "If you think this is about publicity, I'll take my quarter vote in this band (which made me chuckle in and of itself) and pull those 2 songs off the album." Then he looks dead straight into the camera and says, "Did you hear that Dave, OFF THE ALBUM."

I was really laughing...because the album was coming out on the following Tuesday...it was the weekly news segment they were on...which was...

on Sunday...

morons...

utter morons...

Nick...sober or drunk...I don't think spED has any idea it's a bad thing to do as a father. I'm sure he looks back to his childhood, and sees a bunch of similarities. And Val...it's pretty apparent to me that she's taking a backseat in all of this.

I see what you are saying about "going out on top..."

but that being said, I don't know that we've seen anything other than bitter cockiness and expectations from spED since 1996.

I'm an optimist...

but this won't happen...

it makes to much sense...

The Van Halens have a passing relationship with the truth, at best...

For those that want the reunion for 2007, the recent comments Ed made to Guitar World just may be his way of giving Dave an invite through the media, or a way of saying Dave's representation won't be wasting their time making the annual call this year...

I dunno. If it has to be generated through lawyers and management reps, and isn't something that can be done with Ed and Dave just giving each other a call, it sounds like something too fragile to even make it to the first tour date without falling apart.

I mean, it's really unrealistic of me to expect these guys to get together and actually create, record and release stunning new music, because the egos involved all around are too big and the atmosphere too poisonous. It'll take nothing short of a universal harmonic convergence for these guys just to rehearse the oldies and take THAT to the stage while avoiding a meltdown in the process.

The repeated failure of these guys to get their shit together is just childish, so it's only fitting that they have a kid playing bass now.

jhale667
12-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Terry

The repeated failure of these guys to get their shit together is just childish, so it's only fitting that they have a kid playing bass now.

THAT, ladies and gents, is a profound statement. Wow. :p

Nickdfresh
01-01-2007, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by katie
Which tells me you know fuck all about Led Zep history and even less about guitarists.

WTF are you babbling about?

katie
01-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Gunt, I've forgotten more about Zeppelin than you'll ever know

A classic case of -
The easiest person to kid is yourself..................

Nickdfresh
01-01-2007, 12:56 PM
http://www.cinemacomrapadura.com.br/filmes/imgs/FatalAttraction_1987_img_2.jpg

VanHalener
01-01-2007, 12:58 PM
I am chewing off my nails and pulling out the hair.

Where's my Van Halen News for the 2007 tour?

FORD
01-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
http://www.cinemacomrapadura.com.br/filmes/imgs/FatalAttraction_1987_img_2.jpg

No shit! Guess it's a good thing I don't have rabbits anymore.