PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Windows Media Player

ALMOSTsaved
01-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Lately my Windows Media Player has been locking up on me. I have the updated 11 version. However, I was hoping to maybe uninstall the program and then re-install. I'm a novice at shit like this so I was wondering, once I go to the site to download Windows Media Player and it asks to "save"or to "run", which is the best option? If the best option is to save, where do I save? Desktop? My Music?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hardrock69
01-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Desktop.

Then uninstall existing WMP.

Then reinstall.

ALMOSTsaved
01-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Cool! Will do! Thank you!

Last_Child
01-04-2007, 01:16 PM
or..

Install iTunes 7.0

ALMOSTsaved
01-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Is I-Tunes free? Does it rip my audio CDs to MP3 as well?

Last_Child
01-04-2007, 03:35 PM
It's free.

it rips your Cd's to mpeg4, not mpeg3 (Mp3). Fuck knows what the difference is.
Anyway, I think that iTunes i superior to WMP.

m_dixon1984
01-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Careful...not all portable MP3 players are mpeg4 compatible, most Sony's for example.

Just a heads up to do some research before changing MP3s to MPeg4s.

M

Hardrock69
01-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Not sure. Type that question into Google.

Google knows all, Sees all

Google be thy name.

:cool:

ALMOSTsaved
01-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Ha! Well, most of my players are Sony (including my car stereo), so I'd probably be better off not using MP4 at this time. I'll still do a little google research. Thanks for the tips, all!

FORD
01-05-2007, 01:55 AM
Alternatively, you can always give up on the bloated later versions of WMP altogether and install Media Player Classic (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/media_player_classic.cfm).

It's based on WMP 6.4 which was where Microsoft should have stopped "improving", because everything they did afterwards was bloating and/or corporatist spyware, like the "media rights managment" horseshit they build into the newer versions.

With the proper plugins, MPC will play just about everything, including Real Audio and Quicktime formats, DVD's, Flash based videos (which is the format YouTube and Google Video run on)

It doesn't contain any ads or spam and it never crashes. I installed it once and never went back to another player.

Anonymous
01-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Ford's right. Media Player Classic is the best player available.

Hell, it was the best player available even when it was buggy... and I'm not sure if the latest version has ANY bugs.

As for codecs... you may want to install the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack - it has every codec known to man, and some that are even unknown. The Mega Pack also has Real Media and Quicktime.

Just do a search on Google, and you'll find plenty of pages that host it. If you want the latest version though, look for a codec guide. :cool:

That's a hint, son.

Cheers! :bottle:

ALMOSTsaved
01-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks again for the tips. Does Windows Media Classic rip to MP3 as well? Also, when I went to my control panel to uninstall WMP 11, I had an additional program above it called, Windows Media Format 11 Runtime or some shit like that. Every time I went to unintall it, it would say, it was going to roll back. Well screw that! I want to uninstall all of it. NOT just the WMP 11. Anyone know what that particular program is?

svrwthr
02-11-2007, 12:58 AM
first Mpeg4 is not an audio format entirely, it is a video format same with Mpeg3. Both are different than mp3 and mp4 which are audio only formats.

Try to uninstall the 11 and revert back to 10. I had a problem like yours on my desktop when I upgraded to 11. Messed everything up so I went back to 10. I do not have any problems with 11 on laptops but 11 was pre-installed and not from MS either. It came from URGE or what ever company wanted me to subscribe to their music download crap software thingymcbob.