Great White raises money to end Canadian Seal hunt. WTF?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Great White raises money to end Canadian Seal hunt. WTF?

Dave Wedge of the Boston Herald reports:

Aging rockers GREAT WHITE are kicking off a reunion tour in Los Angeles later this month, but they'll be raising money to save harp seals in Canada, not to help the hundreds of victims burned when the band's pyrotechnics sparked a deadly nightclub blaze in Rhode Island three years ago.

"I think if you're in the band GREAT WHITE and you're talking about charitable endeavors, I don't see how you look past the victims of the Rhode Island fire," said Steven Minicucci, an attorney who represents dozens of people injured in the 2003 blaze at The Station in West Warwick, R.I.

The '80s nostalgia act is finishing a new album and embarking on a tour with its original lineup to mark its 25th anniversary. The reunited band's first show is a Jan. 27 benefit at Hollywood's Key Club to raise money for Harpseals.org, a nonprofit dedicated to ending Canadian seal hunting, according to the group's Web site.

The new tour comes as the Station Family Fund has run dry after handing out $800,000 to victims' families for housing costs, medical bills and other expenses. Fund president Victoria Potvin, who escaped the blaze, said the account is empty and the fund is “defunct," leaving some victims helpless.

"There are people who are going to need assistance for the rest of their lives," Potvin said.

Read the entire article at BostonHerald.com.

The only rundraising these guys should be doing is for the survivors fund!
    Leave the seal hunt shit to McCartney..........
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Those dumb fuckers used a pyro show at a fuckin' club date, fer chrissakes! Used to go to the Station years ago, and that was really the last place in about a 20 mile radius to see a show after the Tent closed down...and then Great White blames the road managers for the whole thing! And now they're raising money for causes other than the victims?

Assholes.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Never liked them even when they were a real band. Bunch of useless Zeppelin wannabes like half the other bands in the late 80's.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ppg960
        Sniper
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Terry
        Those dumb fuckers used a pyro show at a fuckin' club date, fer chrissakes!
        Assholes.
        No Shit, they should stay off the touring scene. Their fans, the ones that aren't flamed would be safer.:eek:

Comment

• Steve Savicki
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry Those dumb fuckers used a pyro show at a fuckin' club date, fer chrissakes!
          I think that alone would be enough to peeve everyone off.

Ford, the 2nd Great White album (1st was actually a 5 song EP from '82 with some of the songs on their self-titled album), actually stands out with the rest of the '84 (hair) metal scene..
          I got into it because of "Stick It."
          Their remake of Who's "Substitute" is a rocker.
          "Out In The Night" is a wonderful opener and "Bad Boys" followed by "Down On Your Knees" is a good one-two hit combo.
          "Streetkiller" eerily opens up the 2nd half, the rest is just standard filler though "Nightmares" stands out. The filler though doesn't sound bad.

So I wonder if it's the loss of their original drummer that made that album a winner.
          Yes, I was not as thrilled with the following "Shot In The Dark" album.
          sigpic

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

My favorite Great White moment is when they did a show in LA to raise money for their dead band members family or something and like 9 people showed up.......

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

A sad story

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2004

Originally posted by Steve Savicki
                I think that alone would be enough to peeve everyone off.

Ford, the 2nd Great White album (1st was actually a 5 song EP from '82 with some of the songs on their self-titled album), actually stands out with the rest of the '84 (hair) metal scene..
                I got into it because of "Stick It."
                Their remake of Who's "Substitute" is a rocker.
                "Out In The Night" is a wonderful opener and "Bad Boys" followed by "Down On Your Knees" is a good one-two hit combo.
                "Streetkiller" eerily opens up the 2nd half, the rest is just standard filler though "Nightmares" stands out. The filler though doesn't sound bad.

So I wonder if it's the loss of their original drummer that made that album a winner.
                Yes, I was not as thrilled with the following "Shot In The Dark" album.
                Steve, I agree with you on this one . Their first album is fookin stellar. They lost me after that one. I did see them tour that one opening for Judas Priest in '84. They rocked. After that they were all cheese.....
                Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• ppg960
                  Sniper
                  • Dec 2005

I also liked Once Bitten as well. The song "Rock Me" did it for me.
                  These guys are long past due. Saw them Live on Larry King after the night club fire. They still looked stoned from the 80's.

Comment

• Jack68
                    Commando
                    • Sep 2004

Please..like we would even discuss this band if that tragedy didnt happen?I know the 2 or three songs you are speaking of it was like karoke.Fuckin shame..
                    "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

• ppg960
                      Sniper
                      • Dec 2005

They came through Winnipeg a couple of months before that tragedy. They played in a bar that holds about 300 people.

Comment

• Binky
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jan 2007

While it's really up to them what charity they give to, Canada culls seals to maintain the balance of the local wildlife, and make money. But saying that they don't do it unnecessarily (I know lots of Canadians who do it ethically). It's not a sport as people seem to think - just because they're cute and cuddly. But while it's easy to criticise bands, the whole disaster could have been prevented. The club was small so I would have hoped people would use their common sense and not use big pyros. Looks like I was wrong. In fact, the only reason I've heard of them is because 1, me fella has the '88 Monsters of Rock poster and 2, I saw in Classic Rock that their former manager was jailed for "neglect". They really that boring? *^_^* \m/

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I dug "Once bitten..." and "...Twice shy" back in the day but these guys went downhill fast.

Jack Douglas is one of the stupidest names in rock.

The idea of raising money for anything other than that horrible fire is ridiculous.

How much money will they raise?

Would you buy a ticket to see Great White?

Me neither.

On a seperate point, didn`t Jack Douglas get charged with killing a man when he was younger?
                          sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• moose
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2004

Them Newfies are gonna have fun with these idiots!!

Comment

Working...