PDA

View Full Version : Oh no another statement from chez

fullbug5150
01-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Sammy Hagar would like everyone to know that while he's more than pumped to be going into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Van Halen, he has way more important things on his mind at the moment.

"I'm in Cabo right now, and everything's wonderful," he laughed. "I'm down by the water. The beach is calling my name. Listen to it!"

It bears mentioning that at this point in the interview, Hagar began to make "waves-crashing-on-the-shore" noises and then launched into a hazy recollection of how he found out about his induction, a long and winding story that included messenger birds, sunbathing and congratulatory phone calls from high-energy celebrity chefs.

"I think the Hall shoulda sent word of my induction via carrier pigeon or something, because down here, communication is a little, uh, unique," he explained. "The way I found out was that I came back off the beach and there was a message on my machine from someone — I don't even remember who right now — but it didn't even really register that I was in. And then Kenny Chesney calls, and Emeril Lagasse — all these friends on this high level — telling me how great it is. And I'm going, 'Wow, this is really a big deal!' "

Clearly, though he's honored, Hagar is taking the news a lot less seriously than most. Which is odd, considering that thanks to more than 30 years of in-fighting and back-biting, Van Halen's March 12 Hall of Fame induction and performance at New York's Waldorf-Astoria hotel (see "R.E.M., Van Halen, Grandmaster Flash Make Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame") promises to be contentious.

Given the fact that VH has had three different frontmen — who haven't always gotten along, to put it mildly — recently replaced its founding bassist with the guitarist's teenaged son and may or may not even exist as a functioning unit these days, it'll be a miracle if the group (whoever they are) manages to perform at all.

"The talk amongst us so far has been that we're probably not going to play, because of the awkward situation with [bassist] Michael [Anthony], and the situation with Dave [Lee Roth] and I, and all of us with each other. I mean, we're not like mortal enemies or anything, there's just some weird quirks," Hagar said. "But Van Halen has always been unpredictable — anything can happen. If we get to play two songs, I'll be happy to sing one, and have Dave do the other one. I think that would be perfect. If there's only one song, well, then that could be kinda interesting."

And that's just the tip of it. Because while Hagar has been more than willing to talk about the Hall, the other members of Van Halen have remained virtually silent — the Van Halen brothers, Eddie and Alex, and hyperkinetic former frontman David Lee Roth released a joint statement thanking their fans, as did Anthony — which has only added an icy chill to the whole situation. Plus, there's the issue of the third Van Halen frontman, Gary Cherone, who took over when Hagar left the band (or was fired, depending on whom you ask) in 1996.

See, despite the fact that the former Extreme singer fronted Van Halen for nearly three years, and performed on 1998's Van Halen III, Cherone won't be coming to the HOF ceremony. It might have something to do with hurt feelings, but probably has more to do with the fact that Cherone isn't being inducted.

"I got nothing against Gary, but I would've voted against him getting in," Hagar said. "I think he was really just a moment in Van Halen. Dave and I were in the band for so long, and we sold so many records and I don't think you can deny that. As it stands, it seems a little goofy if you let Gary in. Because, there was questions about me getting in, because I've only been in the band 21 years."

Of course, Hagar didn't have a say as to which members of Van Halen received the honor. And neither did anyone else in the band. Candidates for the Hall are determined by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation's nominating committee, a group of "around 30 writers, writers, critics, artists, agents and record-company people" who not only weigh the merits of various bands, but — in the case of groups with shifting lineups like the Ramones or George Clinton's two-headed Parliament-Funkadelic — must also weigh the contributions of individual members of those bands.

"We basically look at the body of work of the artist," explained Joel Peresman, president of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. "And you look at an artist like Van Halen, when David Lee Roth was in the band, they became big during that time, and when things switched with Sammy Hagar, things went to another level. They had incredible success with both people being involved in the band. People have already asked, 'Well, what about Gary Cherone? He was the frontman of the band, too,' but when you look at the full body of the work, that particular period in their career, it didn't make sense, because it wasn't really part of the success of Van Halen."

It's a harsh situation, to be sure. And though Peresman maintains that the Hall isn't in the business of bruising egos, sometimes people get offended. After all, we're dealing with rock stars here.

"You're not looking to blatantly insult people, but you're dealing with a diverse, knowledgeable group of people who have been involved in the music industry for a long time, and they're going to do what they think is right for the Hall of Fame," Peresman added. "If someone gets their feelings hurt, that wasn't the intent, but that might be the outcome."

Gary Cherone could not be reached for comment on the Hall of Fame snub, though fans on his message board at Cherone.com seem to be OK with him not getting in. After all, as one writes, "Gary will be a future Hall of Famer in his own right."

As for Hagar, well, despite the initial talk about Van Halen not performing at the Hall of Fame ceremony, he's optimistic that something can be worked out. One thing's for certain: Despite the fact that he's currently scheduled to appear on the second annual Cabo Wabo "Are We Having Fun Yet?" Cruise on the day of Van Halen's induction, he plans on being in New York, and having a thoroughly, well, Sammy time.

"I'm gonna fly from Cabo to New York, go a day or two early so I can have some fun in New York, and then I'll jump on my plane, come on back and meet the guests [on the cruise]," he enthused. "I'm bringing my wife and about a dozen of my best friends to the ceremony. It's too important — I'll cancel the damn cruise if I have to!"

Alex Mogilny
01-12-2007, 02:27 PM
????

the Van Halen brothers, Eddie and Alex, and hyperkinetic former frontman David Lee Roth released a joint statement thanking their fans

?????

I missed this. They issued a JOINT statement????

Kilkmaru
01-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Apparently

Pasadena Bunnie
01-12-2007, 03:51 PM
SPAM just cannot leave things alone....he is trying to hord as much publicity and advertisement for Cabo Wabo and he can't shut his trap....which may be his biggest defect, besides his appetite.

This Porker is a legend in his own mind....!

Read me loud and Clear, SPAMtard....You came on board to Van Halen AFTER they had already "JUMPED" to Top Success and monumental heights in their Career, THANKS to DAVID LEE ROTH, who paved the way...

Yes, you changed Van Halen into Van Hagar, a tissued-doozied, dental office, elevator swaying, tea time music for the whole-family to sit around and do crossword puzzles and tap their feet to your rhythm.

Give us MODEL CITIZEN, ZERO DISCIPLINE....

SPAM...You'll lose it in the TURN....keep your dingy nearby and paddle back to Cabo. NYC is in the mood for PANAMA...not Dreams.

Pasadena Bunnie
01-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by fullbug5150
Sammy Hagar would like everyone to know that while he's more than pumped to be going into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Van Halen, he has way more important things on his mind at the moment.

"I'm in Cabo right now, and everything's wonderful," he laughed. "I'm down by the water. The beach is calling my name. Listen to it!"

It bears mentioning that at this point in the interview, Hagar began to make "waves-crashing-on-the-shore" noises and then launched into a hazy recollection of how he found out about his induction, a long and winding story that included messenger birds, sunbathing and congratulatory phone calls from high-energy celebrity chefs.

"I think the Hall shoulda sent word of my induction via carrier pigeon or something, because down here, communication is a little, uh, unique," he explained. "The way I found out was that I came back off the beach and there was a message on my machine from someone — I don't even remember who right now — but it didn't even really register that I was in. And then Kenny Chesney calls, and Emeril Lagasse — all these friends on this high level — telling me how great it is. And I'm going, 'Wow, this is really a big deal!' "

Clearly, though he's honored, Hagar is taking the news a lot less seriously than most. Which is odd, considering that thanks to more than 30 years of in-fighting and back-biting, Van Halen's March 12 Hall of Fame induction and performance at New York's Waldorf-Astoria hotel (see "R.E.M., Van Halen, Grandmaster Flash Make Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame") promises to be contentious.

Given the fact that VH has had three different frontmen — who haven't always gotten along, to put it mildly — recently replaced its founding bassist with the guitarist's teenaged son and may or may not even exist as a functioning unit these days, it'll be a miracle if the group (whoever they are) manages to perform at all.

"The talk amongst us so far has been that we're probably not going to play, because of the awkward situation with [bassist] Michael [Anthony], and the situation with Dave [Lee Roth] and I, and all of us with each other. I mean, we're not like mortal enemies or anything, there's just some weird quirks," Hagar said. "But Van Halen has always been unpredictable — anything can happen. If we get to play two songs, I'll be happy to sing one, and have Dave do the other one. I think that would be perfect. If there's only one song, well, then that could be kinda interesting."

And that's just the tip of it. Because while Hagar has been more than willing to talk about the Hall, the other members of Van Halen have remained virtually silent — the Van Halen brothers, Eddie and Alex, and hyperkinetic former frontman David Lee Roth released a joint statement thanking their fans, as did Anthony — which has only added an icy chill to the whole situation. Plus, there's the issue of the third Van Halen frontman, Gary Cherone, who took over when Hagar left the band (or was fired, depending on whom you ask) in 1996.

See, despite the fact that the former Extreme singer fronted Van Halen for nearly three years, and performed on 1998's Van Halen III, Cherone won't be coming to the HOF ceremony. It might have something to do with hurt feelings, but probably has more to do with the fact that Cherone isn't being inducted.

"I got nothing against Gary, but I would've voted against him getting in," Hagar said. "I think he was really just a moment in Van Halen. Dave and I were in the band for so long, and we sold so many records and I don't think you can deny that. As it stands, it seems a little goofy if you let Gary in. Because, there was questions about me getting in, because I've only been in the band 21 years."

Of course, Hagar didn't have a say as to which members of Van Halen received the honor. And neither did anyone else in the band. Candidates for the Hall are determined by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation's nominating committee, a group of "around 30 writers, writers, critics, artists, agents and record-company people" who not only weigh the merits of various bands, but — in the case of groups with shifting lineups like the Ramones or George Clinton's two-headed Parliament-Funkadelic — must also weigh the contributions of individual members of those bands.

"We basically look at the body of work of the artist," explained Joel Peresman, president of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. "And you look at an artist like Van Halen, when David Lee Roth was in the band, they became big during that time, and when things switched with Sammy Hagar, things went to another level. They had incredible success with both people being involved in the band. People have already asked, 'Well, what about Gary Cherone? He was the frontman of the band, too,' but when you look at the full body of the work, that particular period in their career, it didn't make sense, because it wasn't really part of the success of Van Halen."

It's a harsh situation, to be sure. And though Peresman maintains that the Hall isn't in the business of bruising egos, sometimes people get offended. After all, we're dealing with rock stars here.

"You're not looking to blatantly insult people, but you're dealing with a diverse, knowledgeable group of people who have been involved in the music industry for a long time, and they're going to do what they think is right for the Hall of Fame," Peresman added. "If someone gets their feelings hurt, that wasn't the intent, but that might be the outcome."

Gary Cherone could not be reached for comment on the Hall of Fame snub, though fans on his message board at Cherone.com seem to be OK with him not getting in. After all, as one writes, "Gary will be a future Hall of Famer in his own right."

As for Hagar, well, despite the initial talk about Van Halen not performing at the Hall of Fame ceremony, he's optimistic that something can be worked out. One thing's for certain: Despite the fact that he's currently scheduled to appear on the second annual Cabo Wabo "Are We Having Fun Yet?" Cruise on the day of Van Halen's induction, he plans on being in New York, and having a thoroughly, well, Sammy time.

"I'm gonna fly from Cabo to New York, go a day or two early so I can have some fun in New York, and then I'll jump on my plane, come on back and meet the guests [on the cruise]," he enthused. "I'm bringing my wife and about a dozen of my best friends to the ceremony. It's too important — I'll cancel the damn cruise if I have to!"

Which publication did this article?

FORD
01-12-2007, 04:07 PM
How does that Cheddar loving son of a bitch figure he's been in the band "21 years"???

1985 - 1996 = 11 years

2004 = Maybe 9 months with the tour and the time it took to slap together those three turds on "Best of Eddie's Delusional Worlds". I'll be generous and give him credit for a full year.

So that's 12 years. Is Sammy now dyslexic as well as being horrible at math?

TAKIN WHISKEY
01-12-2007, 04:25 PM
I f Spams been in for 21 years, Daves been in for 33 years.

TAKIN WHISKEY
01-12-2007, 04:28 PM
I think the best news that we could have at this point, is that Ed, Al, and Dave released a joint statement. They must be together, and if that is the case, Spam gets snubbed at the ceremony and does not perform with them. Fat Spam running his mouth like always, and they are going to make him look like the non important piece of shit that he is. LMAO

Alex Mogilny
01-12-2007, 04:40 PM
I want to see the "joint statement".

PlexiBrown
01-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Hagar is a tool. He is using every opportunity to convice people that VH needed him in order to make it to the Hall. If Dave, Eddie and Alex released a joint statement then this is a good sign and this is what has gotten Hagar to go into full Spammy mode. So now we go from Spam saying VH sold 44 million records with him to him being in the band for 21 years. The only people he is fooling are his blow buddies at the links. What a deluded fool he is!

Roth & Roll
01-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by fullbug5150
"But Van Halen has always been unpredictable — anything can happen. If we get to play two songs, I'll be happy to sing one, and have Dave do the other one. I think that would be perfect. If there's only one song, well, then that could be kinda interesting."

Fatboy's got that right - it WILL be interesting - watching security drag his fat ass off the stage so Dave can sing the one song.
Hagar is the ultimate ass-muppet.

MAX
01-13-2007, 02:31 AM
Jeezus, Hag's publicly blabbing about this more than anyone. Fuck, we all get it Hag, you're in!!! Even though you don't deserve it... :rolleyes:

Bottom Line, he fucking KNOWS that his appearance is going to be waaaaaaay below secondary during the ceremony. Therefore, he has to keep reminding the world that he was once in that band cos God knows the majority of the world have already forgotten nor do they give a shit.

Both hearing and seeing Dave and the sisters tearing through an old staple like RWTD or Unchained will bury Hag crooning Dreams or Right Now and the fucker KNOWS IT!!!

Romeo Delight
01-13-2007, 03:05 AM
I just love the name-dropping Hagar is stooping too...Emerril??? BAM!

WTF???

Like this makes it a bigger deal somehow?

I can't wait until the ceremony. Hagar will feel like the bridesmaid for sure.

bantonelli
01-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by DavidFlamma
I just love the name-dropping Hagar is stooping too...Emerril??? BAM!

WTF???

Like this makes it a bigger deal somehow?

I can't wait until the ceremony. Hagar will feel like the bridesmaid for sure.

Hagar likes to name-drop with names like Emeril for 2 reasons:

- Emeril is popular and it proves that Hagar has famous friends; and

- Hagar and Emeril have loads in common: porkers and man-boobs.

Vinnie Velvet
01-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Hagar has been in VH for 21 years????

Holy fuck, is this guy delusional or what!

First it was that Van Hagar sold 44 million copies and now this!

Someone send a message to the fat fuck and just say this:

Van Hagar - 18 million copies sold (US)

Sam in the band for 11 years 1985-1996.

2004?? 8 to nine months??

:rolleyes:

Matt White
01-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Who is sammy hagar?

Sarge's Little Helper
Who is sammy hagar?

David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..

Matt White
Who is Bette Midler?

Sarge's Little Helper
Who is Bette Midler?

Bette Midler is an actress/singer that bears an uncanny resemblance to Sammy Hagar. .. based on both being fat, old, red hair and both have FLOPPY, SLOPPY BREASTS. Bette was in a popular movie called Beaches and Sammy Hagar is just a plain Beatch.Thanks for your time..

amadeus
01-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Alex Mogilny
????

the Van Halen brothers, Eddie and Alex, and hyperkinetic former frontman David Lee Roth released a joint statement thanking their fans

?????

I missed this. They issued a JOINT statement????

Yea, SIRIUS is airing it today sometime according the the 'Hair Nation' channel. According to SIRIUS, it is going to be some kind of a dis toward Sammy trying to get the press on this, etc. Should be interesting!

Bo Nozos
01-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Sammy Hagar is truly a pathetic human being.

It's clear he has his publicist burning up the phones lines trying to line up every media mention he get, only for him to then tell the interviewer how mellow he is about the whole thing.

Let's call out some of his bullshit:

1. "Sammy Hagar would like everyone to know that while he's more than pumped to be going into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Van Halen, he has way more important things on his mind at the moment."

-- Then why has he been talking about the Hall of Fame NON-STOP, and way more than anyone else in the band??

2. "I think the Hall shoulda sent word of my induction via carrier pigeon or something, because down here, communication is a little, uh, unique," he explained. "The way I found out was that I came back off the beach and there was a message on my machine from someone — I don't even remember who right now — but it didn't even really register that I was in. And then Kenny Chesney calls, and Emeril Lagasse — all these friends on this high level — telling me how great it is. And I'm going, 'Wow, this is really a big deal!' "

-- What a JOKE. Number one, does anyone honestly think Sammy wasn't following the Hall of Fame process very closely? Anyone think Sammy had no idea when the voting was going on and when inductees would be announced? Number two, way to name-drop the identities of celebrities you're friends with. REAL rock stars have no need to name drop, because they are names in and of themselves. Number three, the whole "communication is unique down here" thing is a subtle advertisement for Cabo San Lucas and his shitty club. It's also ridiculous -- twenty years ago, Cabo was a sleepy place. It's now a huge, highly-developed tourist destination -- rest assured that FatAss's villa has satellite TV, internet, newspaper delivery, etc. Hollywood stars vacation there now (and certainly don't hang with Sammy). There is nothing "unique" about communication in Cabo San Lucas.

Way to pretend you're living in Timbuktu.

I swear, this bitch emerged from the womb trying to sell something to his mother's OB/GYN.

3. "Clearly, though he's honored, Hagar is taking the news a lot less seriously than most."

-- See number 1 above. If you don't care, why oh why do you keep talking to the media about it??

4. What Sammy says: "If we get to play two songs, I'll be happy to sing one, and have Dave do the other one."

-- What Sammy means: "There should be one song, and I should do it. It should be a hard rocker -- I'm thinking 'Dreams,' or maybe 'When It's Love.' If there's two songs, I'll let Dave do the other one -- preferably during a commercial break. That's mighty big of me, I know -- it's because I care about the fans."

5. "Because, there was questions about me getting in, because I've only been in the band 21 years."

-- No one who actually gives a shit about Van Halen would agree with this statement. YET ANOTHER lie from Bette Midler.

6. "I'm gonna fly from Cabo to New York, go a day or two early"

-- Dude, if you've got "way more important things" on your mind and you're "taking the news a lot less seriously than most," why would you say you might cancel a cruise with your die-hard, semi-retarded Redheads who actually pay money to see you play in order to attend the RRHOF?? Sounds like you care, Round Rocker, and you care a lot.

7. "and then I'll jump on my plane, come on back and meet the guests [on the cruise],"

-- "MY plane." LOL. I seriously doubt Hagar owns his own private jet (or any other plane that could fly Mexico to NYC), which is what he wants people to think when he says this. B-list rockers usually don't make the kind of bread necessary to own your own plane. I'm guessing he can afford to charter (i.e., rent) private jets -- and in fact I think, consistent with his whore self, he has done commercials for a charter private-jet service -- but it's definitely not "his" plane (and if does own his own, why is he doing ads for a charter service -- that would be false advertising) .

How sad that a dude this rich has to portray himself as even richer than he really is.

If any VHLinks member or other RedHead is aware that Sammy owns his own plane, please correct me and I'll admit my mistake.

8. "I'm bringing my wife and about a dozen of my best friends to the ceremony. It's too important — I'll cancel the damn cruise if I have to!"

-- Again, for a guy who doesn't take this seriously, he's taking it pretty seriously.

-----------------------------------

The more this man talks, the less respect I have for him. The guy has serious issues.