PDA

View Full Version : It's The Scooter Show, Co-Starring Dick and Condi

LoungeMachine
01-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Libby Trial Could Be High-Profile Bloodletting

Jan. 16, 2007 — Jury selection begins today in the trial of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, the former chief of staff to Vice President Dick Cheney.

Libby is charged with perjury and obstruction of justice in the leaking of the identity of a former CIA operative.

Libby is on trial for allegedly lying to a grand jury about the source of a leak that outed former CIA operative Valerie Plame. Plame's identity was leaked to the media after her husband, former U.S. Ambassador Joseph Wilson, was critical of the Bush administration's handling of the war in Iraq.

Libby has been called a master of discretion, and the trial promises to be a high-profile bloodletting. It will pit senior White House officials against senior vice presidential staffers as well as vice presidential aides against prominent journalists.

Among those on the star-studded witness list are former White House press secretary Ari Fleisher and NBC "Meet the Press" host Tim Russert.

Perhaps potentially more damaging for the White House is that the trial shines a spotlight on some of the questionable tactics used to justify the war in Iraq, just as President Bush tries to gain some traction on the issue.

"I can imagine [White House press secretary] Tony Snow behind closed doors saying, 'Oh my God, of all the things we have to face is a trial when we are facing all of this stuff in Iraq. This couldn't have happened at a worse time,'" said Lanny Davis, former special counsel to President Clinton.

Cheney Stands by His Man

Federal prosecutors are trying to show that Libby lied to investigators about conversations he had with reporters regarding Plame. Libby has denied lying and says he has a faulty memory.

Libby is not in trouble for the original crime — outing Plame — but rather the alleged cover-up.

In his book "Hubris," reporter Michael Isikoff revealed that former Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage originally leaked Plame's identity. Armitage says the leak was inadvertent, and he is not being prosecuted

Prosecutors hope to show that the vice president and his staff had an organized campaign to leak negative stories about Plame and her husband.

Wilson had traveled to Africa for the CIA to check on reports that Iraq was pursuing weapons of mass destruction. When he returned, Wilson publicly discredited those reports, angering the vice president.

So far, all Cheney has said is that he stands by his man.

"He's one of the most honest men I've ever met," Cheney said recently on Fox News.

Whatever the outcome, Libby's trial is an unwelcome distraction for the administration at a critical juncture.

Hardrock69
01-16-2007, 10:48 AM
BWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

This is gonna be a screwball comedy of the highest order.

:cool:

DrMaddVibe
01-16-2007, 11:02 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sCRZveEz7vs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sCRZveEz7vs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

LoungeMachine
01-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Hey look, AssPipe...

Even puppets know more chords than you.

Way to stay on topic, Greasemonkey.

Wife working today?

Or are you just resting up for the new season of American Idol?

dolt.

knuckleboner
01-16-2007, 11:05 AM
all i know is i'd hate to be the prosecuting attorney cross examining the vice president.

we know what cheney does to lawyers...
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/pix/cheney-rifle_cp_9498610.jpg

LoungeMachine
01-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

"He's one of the most honest men I've ever met," Cheney said recently on Fox News.

I believe this to be true.

Most honest people want nothing to do with Darth Cheney

DrMaddVibe
01-16-2007, 11:06 AM
At least you still have Wussbag Willy!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dbtn5cOOwM4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dbtn5cOOwM4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

You suck!

LoungeMachine
01-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sCRZveEz7vs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sCRZveEz7vs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

If you can't keep your cartoons out of my threads, I'll remove them for you.

DrMaddVibe
01-16-2007, 11:07 AM
The thread said Scooter...THAT'S Scooter!

LoungeMachine
01-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
all i know is i'd hate to be the prosecuting attorney cross examining the vice president.

we know what cheney does to lawyers...
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/pix/cheney-rifle_cp_9498610.jpg

:D

LoungeMachine
01-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
The thread said Scooter...THAT'S Scooter!

We're talking politics here, mensa...

Not your morning shows you watch while eating your fruit loops

Hardrock69
01-16-2007, 12:59 PM
But that is what themonkey and his cast of idiots are! A Saturday morning cartoon show!

themonkey is as intelligent as a cartoon.....and idiot cartoon at that!

LoungeMachine
01-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
But that is what themonkey and his cast of idiots are! A Saturday morning cartoon show!

themonkey is as intelligent as a cartoon.....and idiot cartoon at that!

With his finger on the nuclear launch codes and a severe napoleon complex.

LoungeMachine
01-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Rice could testify in trial of White House aide
16 Jan 2007 21:07:09 GMT
Source: Reuters
By Andy Sullivan

WASHINGTON, Jan 16 (Reuters) - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice could join Vice President Dick Cheney as a potential witness in the perjury trial of Cheney's former top aide, as jury selection began on Tuesday in the case which has cast a spotlight on how the White House justified war in Iraq.

The names of Cheney, Rice and her predecessor, Colin Powell, appeared on a long list of government officials and journalists who may be called as witnesses or whose names may come up in the trial of Cheney's former chief of staff, Lewis "Scooter" Libby.

Libby is charged with lying to investigators during a probe to determine who leaked the classified identity of a CIA operative whose husband, former ambassador Joseph Wilson, publicly criticized the Bush administration's use of intelligence in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq.

Theodore Wells, one of Libby's lawyers, said political issues would be unavoidable during the trial, and potential jurors were asked about the war.

Wilson "has become in effect the poster child for the issue of whether the Bush administration lied to the American public," Wells said. "From Day One this trial is going to be about ... Mr. Wilson's allegations."

Cheney has already said he expected to testify. Others on the list include White House political adviser Karl Rove, former CIA Director George Tenet and former Pentagon deputy secretary, Paul Wolfowitz. Rice served as Bush's national security adviser during the time at issue.

Special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald asked one potential juror if she would have trouble seeing Rice as a credible witness.

The woman, a housecleaner who said her cousin is serving in Iraq, said she would not. But she said she thought Bush should pull U.S. troops out. "I think he's been a little harsh. I think he should let them come home," she said.

HUMAN MEMORY

Libby's defense team plans to argue that he was too preoccupied with national-security matters to accurately remember conversations he may have had about the CIA operative, Valerie Plame.

Potential jurors were asked if they believed that human memory is like a "tape recorder," able to perfectly recall conversations from long ago.

They also were asked if their opinions about the Bush administration and the Iraq war would affect their ability to give Libby a fair trial.

Several said their negative opinion of the administration would cloud their judgment.

"There is nothing they could say or do that would make me think anything positive about them," one woman said.

Libby grinned slightly and blinked as he watched her leave the courtroom after she was dismissed by Judge Reggie Walton.

Wilson has accused the Bush administration of leaking his wife's identity in retaliation for his accusation that Bush "twisted" intelligence to exaggerate the Iraqi threat.

Fitzgerald objected to Libby's lawyers asking questions that might make it easier for the defense to keep Bush opponents off the jury.

Lawyers expect jury selection to last most of the rest of the week and opening statements are tentatively scheduled for Jan. 22. The trial is expected to last four to six weeks.

BITEYOASS
01-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Wonder if Scooter will have to recite crap from his sick novels. I definitely don't want to hear about the bear rape description in "The Apprentice", although JoeThunder would probably whack off to it, that sick fuck! :rolleyes:

BITEYOASS
01-16-2007, 06:26 PM
I don't know where this sketch came from:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kAykhbPS7UY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kAykhbPS7UY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ODShowtime
01-16-2007, 10:20 PM
none of them have any credibility any more

BITEYOASS
01-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
none of them have any credibility any more

huh, you lost me there man. Are you talking about repugs or the comedians in the sketch I posted. I thought it was pretty damn funny myself! :D

ODShowtime
01-17-2007, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
huh, you lost me there man. Are you talking about repugs or the comedians in the sketch I posted. I thought it was pretty damn funny myself! :D

no, no, the white house officials