X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Little Texan
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Woman dies as result of radio show water drinking contest

This is truly fucked up! What a shitty way to go...from drinking too much water trying to win a crappy game console! Will this be a nominee for a Darwin award?

Sheriff Looks Into Water-Drinking Death
    Calif. Sheriff Investigates Water-Drinking Death of Radio Station Contestant
    By JULIET WILLIAMS
    The Associated Press
    SACRAMENTO, Calif. - As participants in KDND-FM's water-drinking contest chugged bottle after bottle, a listener called in to warn the disc jockeys that the stunt could be fatal.

"Yeah, we're aware of that," one of them responded.

Another DJ said with a laugh: "Yeah, they signed releases, so we're not responsible. We're OK."

Those comments, and others made during the Jan. 12 "Morning Rave" radio show, appeared to give little regard to the risk of water intoxication. But just hours after the contest, a woman who guzzled nearly two gallons was dead.

On Wednesday, the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department launched a criminal investigation into the incident, and attorneys for the family of Jennifer Lea Strange said they plan to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the radio station.

The county coroner said preliminary autopsy findings indicate Strange, a 28-year-old mother of three, died of water intoxication.

Authorities decided to pursue the investigation after listening to a tape of the show, obtained by The Sacramento Bee, during which DJs joked about the possible dangers of consuming too much water, sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Tim Curran said. At one point, the DJs even alluded to a college student who died during a similar stunt in 2005.

Strange was one of about 18 contestants who tried to win a Nintendo Wii gaming console by determining how much water they could drink without going to the bathroom.

Several hours into the contest, Strange was interviewed on the air and complained that her head hurt.

"They keep telling me that it's the water. That it will tell my head to hurt and then it will make me puke," she said.

Eventually, Strange gave in and accepted the second-place prize: tickets to a Justin Timberlake concert. She commented that she looked pregnant, and a female DJ agreed.

"Oh, my gosh, look at that belly. That's full of water. ... Come on over, Jennifer, you OK?" a male DJ asked. "You going to pass out right now? Too much water?"

Several hours later, Strange was found dead in her home.

On Tuesday, KDND's parent company, Entercom/Sacramento, fired 10 employees connected to the contest, including three morning disc jockeys. The company also took the morning show off the air.

Station spokesman Charles Sipkins said Wednesday the company had not yet heard from the sheriff's department but that it would cooperate with the investigation.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright © 2007 ABC News Internet Ventures

Link
  • NightProwler
    Sniper
    • Jul 2004

Natural selection works for many reasons.

THIS story appears to be one of them.

Comment

• blonddgirl777
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Holly shit!

I drink A LOT of water on a daily basis (but not all at once)...
      Someone told me lately that drinking too much is like not enough... that it makes your kidney and blader work over time...

I never thought one could die of it though!
      http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...oman-movie.jpg
      Originally posted by Nitro Express
      ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
      Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
      [B]... Cooking, I mean Cooking, is men's field...
      http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...i_triangle.jpg
      Originally posted by VanHalener
      ... Fight the Good Fight and Win!...
      Originally posted by FORD
      ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• blonddgirl777
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Re: Woman dies as result of radio show water drinking contest

Originally posted by Little Texan
        [i]... Strange gave in and accepted the second-place prize: tickets to a Justin Timberlake concert...
        What a shame!
        http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...oman-movie.jpg
        Originally posted by Nitro Express
        ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
        Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
        [B]... Cooking, I mean Cooking, is men's field...
        http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...i_triangle.jpg
        Originally posted by VanHalener
        ... Fight the Good Fight and Win!...
        Originally posted by FORD
        ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• Little Texan
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

You learn something new everyday!

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

In all seriousness, my only regret is that she had already birthed children and passed her chucklehead genes onto others.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• SparkieD
              Veteran
              • Sep 2006

I don't think that very many people are aware that there is such a phenomenon as water intoxication. I'm betting that this person didn't either. Say what you will about her, but due to these idiot disc jockey cunts, three children lost their mother. There is no goddamn humor in that! Let's hope the rest of the dumbasses involved get theirs!
              Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
              Originally posted by rustoffa
              Three words. WE WERE THERE.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by SparkieD
                I don't think that very many people are aware that there is such a phenomenon as water intoxication. I'm betting that this person didn't either. Say what you will about her, but due to these idiot disc jockey cunts, three children lost their mother. There is no goddamn humor in that! Let's hope the rest of the dumbasses involved get theirs!
                With the internet, they fuck-well should be!

The people that took part in this contest are complete dipshits. But for anyone with 10-IQ points to have allowed for this to take place is just sickening. A minutes worth of internet research will reveal that several have died from water intoxication, mostly runners that over-hydrated themselves...

Comment

• SparkieD
                  Veteran
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  The people that took part in this contest are complete dipshits. But for anyone with 10-IQ points to have allowed for this to take place is just sickening. A minutes worth of internet research will reveal that several have died from water intoxication, mostly runners that over-hydrated themselves...
                  I agree that the participants weren't very smart, but how does one decide to research water intoxication if he/she doesn't even know it exists? I remember reading about a runner several years ago dying from it and being very surprised.

And I suppose you already know everything because of the internet.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah I knew about this water intoxication thing already.

Fuck just about anything kills you if take enough of it.

Even vodka.

Usually I'm against the litigious nature of the US these days but I hope that station gets shut down.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I remember reading about a runner several years ago dying from it and being very surprised.
                      I'm sure he was.

Comment

• SparkieD
                        Veteran
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        I'm sure he was.
                        You got me

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I agree that the participants weren't very smart, but how does one decide to research water intoxication if he/she doesn't even know it exists? I remember reading about a runner several years ago dying from it and being very surprised.

And I suppose you already know everything because of the internet.
                          Well, these are typical 'radio guy' douche bags I'm talking about, not the contestants.

The 'radio guy' dickheads are usually uneducated fuckwits that are only trained how to make a cart, or the new digital equivalent. But, if you're going to have such a contest, I think it's wise to do a little research on the possible outcomes. And I think one does research in an effort to learn about what he doesn't know exists.

And I fucking know how to use Google to find stuff I need to get through life. I didn't realize it was such a mystery...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

At the last radio sponsored contest I went to this fat kid by the name of Lardass blew blueberry puke all over the audience from eating too many pies.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Little Texan
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Hell, a woman that was a nurse called in and told them that drinking too much water was dangerous, and one of the DJ's brought up the fact that he knew of a case of someone dying from drinking too much water, yet they still carried on with the contest, cracking their jokes about dying from drinking water like a bunch of jackasses, oblivious the danger this woman and the other contestants were in. Total lack of regard for this woman's health and for her life in general...it was all just a big joke to these dickheads. Expect that woman's family to get a seven or eight figure settlement out of this, as they should.

Comment

Working...