PDA

View Full Version : Man in 1996..It seems as if Ed was seeing the light..

Unchainme
01-18-2007, 10:35 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humans_Being

"Humans Being" was a song recorded and contributed by the rock band Van Halen for the movie Twister. It marks the last song featuring Sammy Hagar on vocals before his departure from the band in 1996.

According to various interviews with Eddie Van Halen states the he wrote most of the lyrics. He accused Sammy Hagar of writing "cheesy" lyrics about tornados and storms. Eddie reportedly started off with the line "There is just enough Christ in me..." and the lyrics just fell in after that.

The song is considered Van Halen's most obscure and darkest song. The lyrics are aggressively sung in a tumbling manner, almost similar to a chant, with the chorus being inspired by John Lennon's "Instant Karma!".

HA!..It seems when Ed was putting it all together and about to reunite with Dave, He started to put the pieces together.

Terry
01-18-2007, 10:46 PM
One of the better Van Hagar efforts, without a doubt.

I think I'd agree that in 1996 Ed was warming up to greatness again...the music for Humans Being, CGTSNM and MWM showed a degree of inspiration that I hadn't really heard through much of the Van Hagar years...I mean, fuck, by the time Balance rolled around, Ed was phoning it in even by Sam Halen standards, and most of those years sound like the whole band was on autopilot after 5150, which at least displayed a degree of effort, regardless of the results.

Unchainme
01-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Terry
One of the better Van Hagar efforts, without a doubt.

I think I'd agree that in 1996 Ed was warming up to greatness again...the music for Humans Being, CGTSNM and MWM showed a degree of inspiration that I hadn't really heard through much of the Van Hagar years...I mean, fuck, by the time Balance rolled around, Ed was phoning it in even by Sam Halen standards, and most of those years sound like the whole band was on autopilot after 5150, which at least displayed a degree of effort, regardless of the results.

Around 1994, I think he wanted to start getting back to the good shit, Hell the Guitar Solo on Live Right Here Without David Lee Roth, is worth Downloading, Ed goes through a lot of CVH solos...316 I believe its called, First couple of mins he does the wuss solo from Fuck, than he rips into Cathedral and Eruption.

sadaist
01-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme
He accused Sammy Hagar of writing "cheesy" lyrics about tornados and storms.

For a song for a "cheesy" movie about tornados and storms? The nerve.

Anyhow, that video was the last I remember seeing Eddie look healthy.

Bo Nozos
01-19-2007, 02:07 AM
I'm with you on this. Humans Being is one of two or three Van Hagar tunes worth a damn. You can see some CVH-style Edward in the video too.

Swear to God, the first time I heard the title of the song I thought to myself, "No way did Hagar come up with that" -- it's way too clever a title for the man who gave us "Only time will tell if we stand the test of time," and "Wham Bam Amsterdam!"

And props to Ed for publicly calling out Round Rocker on his lyrical felonies.

Nitro Express
01-19-2007, 02:50 AM
Hey, any song where Sammy is pissed and wants to leave is a good song! I have the video of it on DVD and you can tell the whole band is pissed and Ed purculates out some good stuff when he's pissed.

I'm glad they did those two songs with Dave. I love "Can't Get This Stuff No More" and "Me Wise Magic". Ed had his new guitar sound which is fine when Sam isn't squeeking and squalling over it. The cool swagger of Classic VH was back with a different twist.

Then Eddie's health took a dive. He seems weak and feeble now, even when it's a good day for him. I don't see a tour happening. I think Ed might be able to pull a good show off but not one after the other on a tour. He just hammered himself with his drinking and cigarette smoking and it's turned him into an old man.

Plexi Head
01-19-2007, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Hey, any song where Sammy is pissed and wants to leave is a good song! I have the video of it on DVD and you can tell the whole band is pissed and Ed purculates out some good stuff when he's pissed.

I'm glad they did those two songs with Dave. I love "Can't Get This Stuff No More" and "Me Wise Magic". Ed had his new guitar sound which is fine when Sam isn't squeeking and squalling over it. The cool swagger of Classic VH was back with a different twist.

Then Eddie's health took a dive. He seems weak and feeble now, even when it's a good day for him. I don't see a tour happening. I think Ed might be able to pull a good show off but not one after the other on a tour. He just hammered himself with his drinking and cigarette smoking and it's turned him into an old man.

Too true, too sad.

binnie
01-19-2007, 03:18 AM
Humans Being was the best Van Hagar song, IMO...

However, I feel it drags on in the middle and doesn't really go anywhere, unlike Me wise Magic....

MAX
01-19-2007, 05:41 AM
"Human's Being" did have a decent riffage to it. However, that cheesy "Shine On" chorus really upped the Hagness to it... Pretty much wrecks the tune but Ed was going in the right direction. IMO

DavidLeeNatra
01-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by MAX
"Human's Being" did have a decent riffage to it. However, that cheesy "Shine On" chorus really upped the Hagness to it... Pretty much wrecks the tune but Ed was going in the right direction. IMO

amen...shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine oooooooon ...shiiiiiiiine ohooon... sucks...

FORD
01-19-2007, 11:09 AM
The chorus doesn't fit the fucking song.... it's a dark and angry song from the chords to the verse lyrics and then out of nowhere comes this fucking Mary Sunshine chorus "Shine On Shine On The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow"

It's good that Eddie's brief sobriety finally allowed him to see what some of us had already known for a decade. Sammy writes cheesy shit. Too bad he forgot all about that when they recorded "Upchuck Your Breakfast"

DavidLeeNatra
01-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Too bad he forgot all about that when they recorded "Upchuck Your Breakfast"

he knew but didn't care...

Bill Lumbergh
01-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Those 3 new songs are ALREADY forgotten, yet I STILL hear CASUAL(nowhere near hardcore) VH fans talk about how much they love the 2 96 CVH tunes..........

Vinnie Velvet
01-19-2007, 01:21 PM
The chorus doesn't fit the fucking song.... it's a dark and angry song from the chords to the verse lyrics and then out of nowhere comes this fucking Mary Sunshine chorus "Shine On Shine On The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow"

I often think what Dave would've done with the song.

I remember first hearing it on the radio. After the shit that was Balance, I thought Van Hagar had reached the height of gayness, so when I heard the riff to Humans Being and then into the song, I was like "this is refreshing...cool."

As soon as Sam started that stupid "shine on, shine on" gayness, that ruined it for me once again! :mad:

Fucking Fat Fuck doesn't even know how to write lyrics or melodies to a song.

IfuctURwifesAss
01-19-2007, 01:45 PM

It's good that Eddie's brief sobriety finally allowed him to see what some of us had already known for a decade. Sammy writes cheesy shit. Too bad he forgot all about that when they recorded "Upchuck Your Breakfast"

How would you have felt about this song if DLR sang it?

FORD
01-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by IfuctURwifesAss
How would you have felt about this song if DLR sang it?

Which song is that, Roy? ;)

WOAHYEAH
01-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Uh, Hagar's LEAST cheesiest lyrics were the one that WERE about tornados

FORD
01-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by WOAHYEAH
Uh, Hagar's LEAST cheesiest lyrics were the one that WERE about tornados

It's actually too bad they didn't stick with Sam's original lyrics. Then they would have had the perfect title for a Van Hagar "greatest hits" compilation....

Headed straight into the SUCK zone :D

IfuctURwifesAss
01-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Actually, I think DLR would ahve sounded great on Human's Being. Well, at least in the verses anyhow. The chorus I can't hear him singing because it sounds like CEline Dion wrote it.

pjvan
01-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Everything Hagar did was cheese. 5150, you think Dave wanted all the keyboard shit on his records? Edster forgot how to rock.

What a fucking kick in the balls going from Panama and Hot For Teacher to Why Can't this be Dave and Love Walks In.

Ed found his touch again by 96, then lost it when he decided to bring in Gayr.

Loons The Great
01-19-2007, 07:24 PM
http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/showthread.php?t=1013&page=7&highlight=lyrics

Funny thread at the Links talkin' some lyricisms...

"The sky is turning black/my knuckles are turning white/headed for the hot zone."
"I wanna know you/I wanna see you/you are."
"I can't see your diamond ring through your shining star."--Sammy Hagar

WOW...I can't see your diamond ring through your shining star...Sammy stole that from Dylan Thomas or Bob Dylan!!:D

EAT MY ASSHOLE
01-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Wait...you guys actually think "Humans Being" is a good song, let alone title???

Shove it up your ass.

Terry
01-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Those 3 new songs are ALREADY forgotten, yet I STILL hear CASUAL(nowhere near hardcore) VH fans talk about how much they love the 2 96 CVH tunes..........

Those three 2004 tunes were weak even by Van Hagar standards...

Shit, even on Van Halen 3 there were a couple of halfway decent musical ideas on the album, but hearing those 2004 tracks twice each was enough to convince me that Ed was just spent.

I mean, the dude had a 7 year layoff between recording Van Halen 3 and doing the 2004 tracks. Even with the Van Halen 3 tour, the cancer scare, the divorce and all of the other stuff going on, those three tracks were the best he could come up with?

Think the guy is just burnt out.

Vinnie Velvet
01-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Those three 2004 tunes were weak even by Van Hagar standards...

Shit, even on Van Halen 3 there were a couple of halfway decent musical ideas on the album, but hearing those 2004 tracks twice each was enough to convince me that Ed was just spent.

I mean, the dude had a 7 year layoff between recording Van Halen 3 and doing the 2004 tracks. Even with the Van Halen 3 tour, the cancer scare, the divorce and all of the other stuff going on, those three tracks were the best he could come up with?

Think the guy is just burnt out.

I agree.

But I don't think Ed really wanted to work with Sammy in the first place -- which may be why he was so uninspired or just tired (or drunk. :D)

Terry
01-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
I agree.

But I don't think Ed really wanted to work with Sammy in the first place -- which may be why he was so uninspired or just tired (or drunk. :D)

Seemed to me that the whole thing got started by Sam calling Alex, with Mike acting as a broker between the two...Ed sure as fuck didn't seem like he wanted to be around Hagar once the tour started, that's for sure!

DavidLeeNatra
01-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
I agree.

the songs were already done...hagar just came into the studio, put down his shitty lyrical stereotypes and screeched over them...

Padre Atilio
01-20-2007, 09:23 AM
A 1997 interview with Mike and Ed. Have you seen it ?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kb1BpaH7QCE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kb1BpaH7QCE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

DavidLeeNatra
01-20-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Padre Atilio
A 1997 interview with Mike and Ed. Have you seen it ?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kb1BpaH7QCE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kb1BpaH7QCE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

wow great find!!! wonder how bass player feels about this, now...

full of shit they are both...

ThatArtGuy
01-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Don't sing about tornadoes, Sammy.

"The sky's turning black!
The sky's turning white!"

*ROTFLMFAO*

Knuclebones03
01-20-2007, 05:39 PM
This a cool subject. I agree about the song Human Beings, it was different from anything they did up to this point. A edge to it.
I really like it and agree its one of the best songs VHager era.
This is the time that Eddie was actually sober, he was great in the 1995 tour . This is the last time it seemed like the whole gang was having a Good time at their craft. The 2004 tour was totally opposite, too much Business it seem. Then the 2 songs with Roth CGEOTS and Me Wise Magic, it felt like the old swagger VH had was back. It was like whoaaa, cant wait for the new album with Roth . What are they going to give us next. Then the shit hit the fan. Oh well . Hopefully we shall see VH in 2007 with Roth. I'll buy a ticket with or without Michael.

Vinnie Velvet
01-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Thing is, realtions between Sam and the Van Halens really started to get strained around 1991.

If it hadn't been for Ed Leffler (Sam's manager which became Van Hagar manager), Hagar would've been gone sometime before '96.

They barely made 4 studio albums, the last two, especially Balance, being the most difficult to get done.

lztom
01-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Great find on that interview. I never saw that before. Eddie seems stoned or something on it. I think it's clear the slide had already begun for him.

Look at MA. The 'nice guy' of the band. He wasn't scared to rat on his so called best buddy for his dinner tickets here was he??

Humans Being is by a distance the best track Van Hagar ever cut.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here but IMO Eddie's playing was already improving again on the Balance record.If you have a CD player with channel cancelling you can blank out Fat Boy Roy's singing and there's some great playing on there.

Loons The Great
01-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Humans Bean...the riff was stolen from a classic Van Halen cover tune...any of you mofos know which one, youngins?

Casemeister
01-24-2007, 11:06 AM
"When you're in a band, it's a democracy, so to speak."

Is it, Ed? I guess Mike was voted out of the band. Well, when two of the three members who could vote are Van Halens, Mike never stood a chance.

Ed doesn't see that because of all the BS he has fed us, his reputation as a guitar god is diminishing by the day. It's a shame, but it's nobody's fault but his.

Eyes of the Night
01-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
According to various interviews with Eddie Van Halen states the he wrote most of the lyrics.

The song is considered Van Halen's most obscure and darkest song. The lyrics are aggressively sung in a tumbling manner, almost similar to a chant, with the chorus being inspired by John Lennon's "Instant Karma!".

HA!..It seems when Ed was putting it all together and about to reunite with Dave, He started to put the pieces together. [/B]

Killer post Chainme ...

Wella, you learn something new everyday n' shit ...

Speed Of White
02-20-2007, 07:54 AM
I agree with 1996 being a bright burst of hope after being let down for many years by the sub-par quality of music they had been putting out for some time. I will say F.U.C.K. had a couple take notice moments, but nothing like their former selves when Diamond Dave was at the helm. This may sound lame, but I thought sober Eddie Van Halen in the Balance area was a complete whining pussy. He really seemed arrogant around then. Not everybody knows this, but Eddie actually was drinking again throughout the "Human's Being"/Sammy's departure and look what happened. It was as if the alcohol gave him a much needed kick in the ass. His playing on HB was his best in 12 years in my opinion. He seemed hungry again. Then all of a sudden Dave is back. Shortly after that 2 very solid tunes (even by CVH standards) with Dave were in the can. I think if Me Wise had been released on any of the old Dave records it would be considered in their top 10 best. They were gaining momentum that summer and then FFFFFffffffffffff. All yanked from a very primed public in a flash because Eddie went back to being a whiner again when he saw that he wasn't the sole appeal of "his" band anymore. My thoughts are a potentially great venture was crushed that year. It should have happened then man. That was the right time.