X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Former Social Distortion bassist Brent Liles killed

Brent Liles, early Social Distortion bassist, was killed by big rig in Placentia California.

Liles played bass on the group’s groundbreaking “Mommy’s Little Monster” recording in 1983 and went on to play with other well-known Orange County punk acts such as the group Agent Orange. He was 43.

“Brent was a fun-loving guy who approached his bass playing with a lot of enthusiasm and that made him a lot of fun to be around,” said Frank Agnew, a fellow musician and friend.

Liles, wearing casual clothing, was riding a small dirt bicycle westbound on Orangethorpe Avenue just after 11:30 a.m. Thursday, California Highway Patrol officials said.

As he entered the crosswalk at the Orange (57) Freeway, a big rig carrying a trailer turned right onto the on-ramp and accelerated, hitting Liles. He was pronounced dead at the scene, officials said.

The driver, Javier Lopez of Rancho Cucamonga, was turning on a green light. He was not immediately cited, CHP officials said. The crash is still being investigated.

I'll bet the son of a bitch was on his cell phone.

RIP Brent

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4VqHK305GvA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4VqHK305GvA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • The_KiD
    Commando
    • Jun 2005

Social Distortion is on of my favorite bands of all time.. Very Sad..

Fair Winds and Calm Seas Brent

KiD

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

R.I.P

A band that everyone should check out....
      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Dennis dies moving.....

now this?

RIP
        Originally posted by Kristy
        Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
        Originally posted by cadaverdog
        I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• hideyoursheep
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2007

Damn....

Comment

• BITEYOASS
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Talk about bad fuckin luck... R.I.P.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/646J8VZkcDY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/646J8VZkcDY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

• Roy Munson
              Veteran
              • Feb 2004

Re: Former Social Distortion bassist Brent Liles killed

Originally posted by FORD

I'll bet the son of a bitch was on his cell phone.

RIP Brent

It doesn't sound like Liles was paying attention either. You ever drive an big rig? I have almost 2 million miles driving big trucks all over the US. People think we can just stop on a fucking dime or that we are able to see better than we actually can. Do you realize how many blind sopts there are when you're driving one of these? Do people realize that most trucks loaded have a gross vehicle weight of up to 80,000 lbs?

I really wish that everyone who gets a drivers lisence had to learn how to drive a big rig first. There would be a lot less accidents involving big trucks.
              Originally posted by ELVIS
              I guess you're right...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Re: Re: Former Social Distortion bassist Brent Liles killed

Originally posted by Roy Munson
                I have almost 2 million miles driving big trucks all over the US.
                You should buy a map or something...

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Re: Re: Former Social Distortion bassist Brent Liles killed

Originally posted by Roy Munson
                  People think we can just stop on a fucking dime
                  Stopping on a dime shouldn't have been an issue here. The truck was turning to get on a freeway onramp. So he should have been either stopped (if there was a red light) or significantly slowed down (green light or no light) in order to make the turn.

Biggest thing I've ever driven myself is a 24 ft Ryder truck, and i'll admit that driving that thing on a freeway is a whole different world compared to a typical vehicle. Got a lot of nasty horns and fingers when I was changing lanes in that thing.

But I managed not to kill anybody in a crosswalk
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Roy Munson
                    Veteran
                    • Feb 2004

Re: Re: Re: Former Social Distortion bassist Brent Liles killed

Originally posted by FORD
                    Stopping on a dime shouldn't have been an issue here. The truck was turning to get on a freeway onramp. So he should have been either stopped (if there was a red light) or significantly slowed down (green light or no light) in order to make the turn.

Biggest thing I've ever driven myself is a 24 ft Ryder truck, and i'll admit that driving that thing on a freeway is a whole different world compared to a typical vehicle. Got a lot of nasty horns and fingers when I was changing lanes in that thing.

But I managed not to kill anybody in a crosswalk

The story said the light was green. Liles should have noticed the truck just as much as the truck should have noticed Liles. That's why there were no citations issued by the officer at the scene.
                    Originally posted by ELVIS
                    I guess you're right...

Comment

• diamondD
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2004

Wow, just listened to Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell 2x before i pulled it back out of the cd player in my truck. First time I had listened to it in months and was remembering what a great band they were the one time I got to catch them.
                      Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

Working...