X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • secrets
    Foot Soldier
    • Apr 2004

Why I'm not a fan of Jump.

Ok it is a nice song and I used to love it, but I wouldn't put it in my top ten of favourite VH songs. It's better than I'll Wait for sure no question. What I dislike about this song is that it represents the beginning of the end for Classic VH.
    This gave them (Van Hagar) the taste for creating keyboard heavy AOR pop songs rather than guitar driven heavy rock. Worse still it paved the way for pop/rock acts who dressed up as heavy metal bands such as Bonjovi or Europe (currently residing in the where are they now category).

Dave and the other guys were against doing this song (and I'll Wait); Ed pushed for it all the way.
    As I've said it ain't a bad song but they did much better.
    Achtung Baby I say, I say...
  • DLRismydad
    Groupie
    • Apr 2004

All that stuff is probably true but the fact remains Jump is damn catchy.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Jump grew on me, but I'm sick of it now (and Panama) from being overplayed. Or ruined by Hagar. Or both.

I never liked "I'll Wait". No wonder it was co written by Michael McDonald, the Doobie Brothers version of Sammy Hagar.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BITEYOASS
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

I guess they released "Jump" because if they would have made a video for "Drop dead legs" "Girl gone bad" or "House of Pain", then MTV would banned those videos like what happened to "Pretty Woman"

Comment

• cwsmith17
          Sniper
          • Apr 2004

Jump is an excellent song!

Comment

• pete
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by cwsmith17
            Jump is an excellent song!
            so is "I'll Wait" IMO

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Overall, 1984 is my least favorite Vh album(VH meaning Dave era...accept no substitutes). Jump is played out, but for some reason I'm more sick of Panama. I'll Wait has never been a fave, it's alright I guess......Still there really isnt a bad track on the album, I just play it a bit less than Diver Down(which I rank right above '84) It kinda sucks though that Jump is considered the bands signature track by many, even though it isnt a typical Dave era VH song.

Comment

• cwsmith17
                Sniper
                • Apr 2004

Everything song from the Roth Era is great material. Regardless of which album it came from.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Agreed. Just prefer some over others, of course. Shit, even Big Bad Bill has it's merits!

Comment

• pete
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
                    Agreed. Just prefer some over others, of course. Shit, even Big Bad Bill has it's merits!
                    It's fucking stellar.

You can get bored of some songs. "Unchained" is one for me. "Big Bad Bill" still is pumpin' my speakers.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

"Jamie's Cryin' is one I'm tired of. "Pretty Woman" is another.

Comment

• thefive

I love jump. I dont care if it is more mellow or doesnt have that hard rock. Just love that song. One reason I liked I'll wait is because I thought Dave was singing about a Playboy Centerfold. I knew even before interviews and his book that Dave was a fan of Playboy Magazine. Just had a feeling he read that. Anyway I am also a fan of Playboy magazine. But I guess Dave was singing that song about a guess model.

the five

Comment

• thefive

Overall, 1984 is my least favorite Vh album(VH meaning Dave era...accept no substitutes). Jump is played out, but for some reason I'm more sick of Panama. I'll Wait has never been a fave, it's alright I guess......Still there really isnt a bad track on the album, I just play it a bit less than Diver Down(which I rank right above '84) It kinda sucks though that Jump is considered the bands signature track by many, even though it isnt a typical Dave era VH song.

Bill give I'LL wait a second chance. Maybe listen to it and have the lyrics in front of you. I dont know. Sometimes when I have the lyrics in front of me I start liking the song.

the 5

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

I do like the song, just not one I rank very high overall. Sometimes songs grow on me after a while, Hang em' High being an example. I've always liked it a lot, but now I can't stop fucking playing it. Shit I probably listen to Dave about 75 percent of the time, with VH and solo. It's amazing after all these years I'm still not sick of it.

Comment

• thefive

I do like the song, just not one I rank very high overall. Sometimes songs grow on me after a while, Hang em' High being an example. I've always liked it a lot, but now I can't stop fucking playing it. Shit I probably listen to Dave about 75 percent of the time, with VH and solo. It's amazing after all these years I'm still not sick of it.
                              Thats because your a Die Hard Roth fan. You have to ADMIT it. LOL

the 5

Comment

Working...