PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Van Halen Could Have Picked ANY Bass Player!

VHrocks
01-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Eddie Van Halen could have had his pick of any bass player in the world to replace Michael Anthony. But he picked an immature, inexperienced little kid. How will this affect the professionalism of the 2007 Van Halen Tour?

If you could have had your pick of bass players (based on talent, sound, skill, stage presence, and soloing ability), who would you have picked?

I would have nominated Mark King (see video below). He would have put Mikey's Jack Daniels bass solo to shame!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eMzXtizKcXY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eMzXtizKcXY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Who would have been your choice(s)?

:confused:

steve
01-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Billy Sheehan

generalroth
01-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Flea

ModernDayWarior
01-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Yeah but you're missing the point. MA even admitted it himself that it was never about showing off chops during his bass solo but making it more of a visual/crazy thing.

Don't get me wrong, even with Wolf on bass, I'm still gonna go see them, but Mike is still gonna be missed IMO. He layed down the perfect foundation for VH.His background vocals are a big part of the sound and it's just gonna be incomplete without him.

WARF
01-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Have wolfie lip synch to MA on tour!!!

lesfunk
01-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Mike is The rightful VH bassist No doubt. I haven't heard Wolfie play. Dave and Uncle Al apparently think he can cut it. If Mike ain't gonna do it, I'd just as soon see Wolfie try.

PHOENIX
01-27-2007, 07:52 PM
STING!

TAKIN WHISKEY
01-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Who wants to see a bass solo anyway? No disrespect for bass players, but come on. Even a drum solo is a waste of time. Too much material to cover, and not enough time.

Brett
01-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Ed should drop his guitar solo too, been doing the same noodling shit for 25 years. It's tired.

Hyman Roth
01-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by VHrocks
I would have nominated Mark King (see video below). He would have put Mikey's Jack Daniels bass solo to shame!

:confused:

That guy is great. Especially for a honkey. But wouldn't those bass lines sound ridiculous in Van Halen?

Mike was no slouch on bass. Its easy to noodle over the band and turn every bar into a solo to showcase your chops. Its a lot more difficult to write a bass line that compliments the music and the players around you. In this respect, you couldn't ask for a better bass player for Van Halen than Mike Anthony.

I suppose if Mike can't do it, I would pick Noel Redding to replace him.

katie
01-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Eddie Van Halen could have had his pick of any bass player

Maybe but by picking his son he has a bass player that says Yes POP/DAD.....Sorry POP/DAD.

A paid pro would never say this...............

Dave has a LOT on his plate this year...

Katie
x

WARF
01-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Do you have alot on your plate, katie? :)

vhrothfan
01-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Billy Sheehan

TOM_5150
01-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Isn't that the dude that plays the slap bass lines on the Seinfield episodes (ha ha)??

vhrothfan
01-27-2007, 11:09 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RRuOQtg-pJ0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RRuOQtg-pJ0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Van Halen Videos (http://www.vanhalenvideos.blogspot.com)

Diamond David Lee Roth (http://www.diamonddavidleeroth.blogspot.com)

sadaist
01-27-2007, 11:46 PM
One thing about Michael Anthony, is by being in the shadows, he allowed the spotlight to be on Dave & Eddie alone. Put a Sheehan in there and he's gonna take his fair share of the attention. VH doesn't need a great bass player. Ed's guitar is what people want to hear.

It sucks that MA won't be there. He's put up with all the shit, and even gave away his rights to the band name. Eddie gets to screw him one more time. Seems like Ed isn't happy unless he's being a dick to someone. Maybe in 10 years, Wolfie will kick old dad out of the band:-)

vhrothfan
01-27-2007, 11:55 PM
That was Mikes decision to sign away his rights to VH and it was his decision to start The Other Half with Spammy.

DLR Videos (http://www.davidleerothvideos.blogspot.com)

m_dixon1984
01-27-2007, 11:56 PM
There's no doubt that there are lots of great bass players out there but the music doesn't need it (Dave and Ed are the show, admit it). Bring in Sheehan or someone of that quality and all the music has to be re-arranged to accomodate that player's talents (would the fans really want that??). Would Sheehan really want to play down to Mike's abilities just to tour with Dave, Ed, and Al? I don't think so. In Wolfie, Ed gets a bass player that he can control and won't in any way out play him (well he might but that's only because Ed may still be a worthless drunk)

Mike will be missed for his background vocals more than anything.

Ed's solo is pretty popular (although I agree that it hasn't changed much over the years). Since Spammy took over fans used the bass solo and Fagar solo tunes to make their beer runs. I've never seen many people leave during Ed's solo (and I've been to more VanHagar shows than I care to admit - sigh)

M

Roth & Roll
01-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Bob Rock

vhrothfan
01-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by m_dixon1984
There's no doubt that there are lots of great bass players out there but the music doesn't need it (Dave and Ed are the show, admit it). Bring in Sheehan or someone of that quality and all the music has to be re-arranged to accomodate that player's talents (would the fans really want that??). Would Sheehan really want to play down to Mike's abilities just to tour with Dave, Ed, and Al? I don't think so. In Wolfie, Ed gets a bass player that he can control and won't in any way out play him (well he might but that's only because Ed may still be a worthless drunk)

Mike will be missed for his background vocals more than anything.

Ed's solo is pretty popular (although I agree that it hasn't changed much over the years). Since Spammy took over fans used the bass solo and Fagar solo tunes to make their beer runs. I've never seen many people leave during Ed's solo (and I've been to more VanHagar shows than I care to admit - sigh)

M

I agree with all of that but since Mike started another band with Spammy and isn't in VH anymore would everyone accept Billy Sheehan over Wolfie?

Who knows maybe Wolfie is as good as Ed says he is. Remember...Neal Schon joined Santana when he was only 15.

VH Videos (http://www.vanhalenvideos.blogspot.com)
DLR Videos (http://www.davidleerothvideos.blogspot.com)

WaldoVH
01-28-2007, 12:07 AM
With Sheehan in there mabey they could add Yankee Rose to their set list!

VHrocks
01-28-2007, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by vhrothfan
Remember...Neal Schon joined Santana when he was only 15.
This is true. Rick Allen, the drummer of Def Leppard, was playing for Def Leppard on tour when he was only 15 also. So, some of us may be jumping to premature conclusions by dissing Wolfie's abilities. We have to remember, even though EVH may be a drunkard, he still has a headful of guitar knowledge - and is probably very capable of passing it on to Wolfie.

I have a feeling that Wolfie may surprise some of us. After all, he has Van Halen in his blood. As far as hitting MA's high tenor backup vocal parts - now that's another story altogether. My guess is that they will have to hire a backstage singer to hit those.

One thing is for sure, 2007 will be a very interesting year for Van Halen and DLR fans.

:D

FORD
01-28-2007, 02:54 AM
Billy Sheehan already knows the material, AND he knows both Dave and Eddie. He'd actually be the best possible choice other than Sobolewski.

But if that fell through, James Lomenzo or Todd Jensen know the catalog pretty well too.

BrownSound1
01-28-2007, 03:49 AM
I guess if I had to make a choice it would be Billy Sheehan, not only for his technical ability, but for the vocals too. My favorite bassist is John Paul Jones, but according to rumor he's going to be busy in the next year or so with some band that was supposed to be pretty good in their day. ;)

As far as solos go...I doubt you'll ever see a Van Halen show that doesn't have a guitar solo spot. What I'd like to see happen is would be more of an instrumental type thing with the drums, bass, and guitar showing off a bit, but within the structure of a song. What would also be cool would be for Ed to play Eruption before YRGM, Spanish Fly before DOA, the Mean Street intro before Mean Street, and the Little Guitars intro before Little Guitars. I know he mentioned doing that years ago, but since Hagar wouldn't sing any of that it never happened.

Antman
01-28-2007, 08:30 AM
I say Sheehan as well. He's friends with Ed and Dave, we all know Billy's familiar with the songs and he's a "name brand" if you will. I'm sure Wolfie will be a musician to reckon with in the near future, but when has he played live, paid his dues, who has he evr played with? These guys stared out together some 33 years ago and grew together as mmusicians, a band and people. Wolfie's got a long way to go in those respects. Also, a grown up understands the game and the business and can tolerate the criticism, which there will be I'm sure.

mott98
01-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by vhrothfan
That was Mikes decision to sign away his rights to VH and it was his decision to start The Other Half with Spammy.

I dont believe for one minute Mike chose to sign away rights to anything. I have a million bucks that says he was told, "Sign this document right NOW. It supercedes all previous claims you have on revenues generated by the band. You will tour and-or record with the band for X dollars per show.

"And if you do not sign it, then Eddie & Alex will just start a new band that you wont be a part of and you can sit at home."

Mikey had no hand to play in all of this.

Sheehan would be a wise choice in that he has the credibilty to play this tour - he was on the tour circuit with them in 1980. But 2 things would prevent it:

- Ed & Al would probably think he is a ringer that would take sides with Dave since they have been in the same band together
- No way Ed lets a proven respected music veteran see the BS he pulls on his band members and staff.

Can you imagine what is going to happen at rehearsals if Dave says, "Wolfie dont play that part like that, play it like the original"

Dave will be in a snakepit here. BUt again, if Wolfie falters, he knows he wont get blamed, Eddie will.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Billy Sheehan would have been damn interesting!
He would have made it all sound pretty different though, as I don't think he could have stuck to the somehow "simple" original bass lines. :cool:

mott98
01-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Actually, I was surprised how "by the book" and restrained he played with Vai on that tour a couple of years ago.

I think if someone sat Bill down and said, this is a high profile gig and you need to keep it close to the original -- dont stamp your signature on it, dont piss off Ed and Al

I think he could-would do it.

Thing is, how much of a musical talent is Wolfie supposed to be? I mean, I do not even think Ed would have been worth a damn to see on a major arena stage at age 15. Why should we believe Wolfie is even more talented than his dad?

They should just do an original lineup tour, then go record a 3 piece album with Wolfie and get behind his career. Not put him into this situation.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by mott98
Actually, I was surprised how "by the book" and restrained he played with Vai on that tour a couple of years ago.

I think if someone sat Bill down and said, this is a high profile gig and you need to keep it close to the original -- dont stamp your signature on it, dont piss off Ed and Al

I think he could-would do it.

Thing is, how much of a musical talent is Wolfie supposed to be? I mean, I do not even think Ed would have been worth a damn to see on a major arena stage at age 15. Why should we believe Wolfie is even more talented than his dad?

They should just do an original lineup tour, then go record a 3 piece album with Wolfie and get behind his career. Not put him into this situation.

This is a very accurate post. Cheers! :cool:

BALLYJUNKIE
01-28-2007, 10:27 AM
I THINK NOEL REDDING IS DEAD ? .......... SO HES OUT ..........

DLR'sCock
01-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Billy Sheehan

mott98
01-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by BALLYJUNKIE
I THINK NOEL REDDING IS DEAD ? .......... SO HES OUT ..........

I was thinking the same thing when I read that idea!

Of course, it sounds like Mikey is dead to the Van Halens anyway, so maybe that is the perfect choice.

Good notes about Neal Schon and Rick Allen and 15, did not think of those guys. Though it is worth saying -- Neal basically just blew lead in front of stoner crowds with Santana, and Rick was developing as they went along. By the time Leppard hit the US, wasnt he closer to 18 or 19?

Wolfie has the whole internet and entertainment world looking down his throat starting NOW. Lots more pressure.

vhrothfan
01-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Wolfie did jam with Ed onstage in 2004 so he has a little experience in front of a big crowd. More than what alot of musicians have. Plus he has access to Ed's studio,instruments and Ed said once that Wolfie was in a band of his own.

mott98
01-28-2007, 01:30 PM
True enough, but the fact that he could get up with Dad and play a little with him made people happy.

This time around, a bum note in song 1 and everyone is going to be looking at him. He has to know that.

Unless Dad plans on giving him a few shots before he goes onstage so he doesnt notice!

Isaac R.
01-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Two words.
Kip.
Winger.

Vinnie Velvet
01-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Billy.

Knuclebones03
01-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Him choosing Wolfgang to replace MA isnt a bad choice I think. Heres my reason. My son just turned 15, hes been playing guitar since he was 8 years old. I play drums and we jam together and we rock out. He remembers a bunch of rock songs I grew up listening to. VH included. I had showed him what I knew on guitar and he took it to his level which is higher than mine. I can see Wolfie doing the same thing. Plus who wouldnt want to tour with their dad if they had the chance. I know I would. He'll be fine and he'll rock.

bueno bob
01-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Juan Alderete (Racer X/Mars Volta/etc).

Best living bassist today without question.

Hyman Roth
01-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Re: Noel Redding. Hey - if you are going to ask a fantasy question - don't be surprised if you get a fantasy response.

hideyoursheep
01-29-2007, 07:36 PM
I'll do it-whatdafuck?

lemmon714
01-29-2007, 07:57 PM
I think it's fucking great about a CVH reunion. But what about Michael? We'll he's no Geddy Lee, but CVH had such great fucking background vocals. I think a Hell of a lot of it will be gone with Wolfhog. Remember the episode of the Brady-Bunch when Peter when down on Mike, No, wrong episode(sorry) lol, I think it's when he went through puberty, and his voice started fucking up, when the Ass-kickin' Brady's had studio time. I don't think a 15-year old pre-pubescent chubsy-ubsy, with an obvious sluggish thyroid, and his 3-month stint as a bass-player should be in CVH. He need's to be home "spanking it", as Ed so proudly told Howard Stern! CVH is Ed, Dave, Al, and Michael.

hideyoursheep
01-29-2007, 08:04 PM
What's Jason Newstead doing nowadays?

bueno bob
01-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Some interesting answers...

Hey, I tried for it... :D

katie
01-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep

Your little brother LOL!

ThrillsNSpills
01-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Some interesting answers...

Hey, I tried for it... :D

And you still should Bob.
Look at their turnover...
plus you're a persistant bugger when properly inspired so..

Can you hit the high notes?

Cathedral
01-29-2007, 08:22 PM
Fuck it, I'll play the Bass on this tour.

mott98
01-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep

He and Alex could wear matching neckbraces with Ed's trademarked red-black-white paint job!

Terry
01-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Sheehan would seem a logical choice.

Bob Daisley isn't up to much these days, either...

Sheehan would give Ed AND Al a nice kick in the ass, and make those two fuckers work a bit harder.

bueno bob
01-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
And you still should Bob.
Look at their turnover...
plus you're a persistant bugger when properly inspired so..

Can you hit the high notes?

Actually, I can...

;)

jgdrag
01-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Billy, Eddie and Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcFUjPAp7UY

MERRYKISSMASS2U
02-10-2007, 04:37 PM

I have a feeling that Wolfie may surprise some of us. After all, he has Van Halen in his blood. As far as hitting MA's high tenor backup vocal parts - now that's another story altogether. My guess is that they will have to hire a backstage singer to hit those.

It's quite easy to hit the high notes when your balls have failed to drop yet.

Matt White
02-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
It's quite easy to hit the high notes when your balls have failed to drop yet.

HA!!!

THAT'S how Bob hits the high notes!!!:p

4moreyears
02-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by lesfunk
Mike is The rightful VH bassist No doubt. I haven't heard Wolfie play. Dave and Uncle Al apparently think he can cut it. If Mike ain't gonna do it, I'd just as soon see Wolfie try.

I have not seen anything to the effect that Dave thinks the guy is good. Don't confuse him rejoining VH as an endorsement of the little fatso. To answer the question I would have selected Micheal Anthony.

Atomic Dyver
02-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Billy sheehan or Geddy Lee so you can get the backing vocals too.

VHrocks
02-10-2007, 07:47 PM
What's wrong with Wolfie? He's ready to rock! His mom just bought him a new custom bass guitar:

http://www.hotmail-central.com/stuff/barneybass.jpg

:D