X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vhrothfan
    Banned
    • Jan 2007

DLR Band

What was Dave thinking when he let these guys go?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NdExoWzrUrE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NdExoWzrUrE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

DLR Videos
  • Mr. G
    Roadie
    • Jun 2004

Good question. Steve was smart enough to get billy in HIS band though.

Comment

• BrownSound1
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Mar 2003

Ummm...Dave didn't let them go, they quit. Sheehan left because he didn't like the album Skyscraper...thought it was too pop if I remember correctly. Of course that makes no sense, because look what he ended up doing...Mr. Big. Vai bolted and joined Whitesnake, and from what I understand that REALLY pissed DLR off.

Comment

• vhrothfan
        Banned
        • Jan 2007

Either way he shouldn't have let them go. I remember Dave saying Billy was let go because he was bitching about the music to much. Then Steve said he wanted to do a solo album but Dave didn't want him too.

Diamond David Lee Roth

Comment

• Antman
          Commando
          • Jan 2004

WTF? Dave gave these guys their big break. If I was in DLR's band, no fuckin way would I jeopardize the gig of a lifetime to do a solo project. Just look at the video, yea they're great musicians, but you could tell they were giddy (and looked kind of goofy if yoou aske me) to be runnin around on a HUGE stage in a real arena unlike the small clubs they used to play before joining Roth. Sheehan should have just stuck around after Skyscraper and do what he does on tour, on stage with Vai. They obviously didn't play the whole Skyscraper album live plus they still had VH & EEAS material not to mention their solo spots so they can be "real" musicians.
          When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

• Mr. G
            Roadie
            • Jun 2004

I guess the allure of doing your own thing is too great. How many albums has Vai done since then? Obviously he can't play to audiences as big now because frankly his stuff is mostly appreciated by other musicians which he is aware of. I saw the roth.vai, sheehan combo a long time ago and sort of forgot how great it was until I saw a clip on youtube. They were unbeatable.

Comment

• vh rides again
              Commando
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by vhrothfan
              What was Dave thinking when he let these guys go?

he was thinking, i quit vanhalen for this? woops.

DLR Videos

Comment

• bantonelli
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Antman
                WTF? Dave gave these guys their big break. If I was in DLR's band, no fuckin way would I jeopardize the gig of a lifetime to do a solo project. Just look at the video, yea they're great musicians, but you could tell they were giddy (and looked kind of goofy if yoou aske me) to be runnin around on a HUGE stage in a real arena unlike the small clubs they used to play before joining Roth. Sheehan should have just stuck around after Skyscraper and do what he does on tour, on stage with Vai. They obviously didn't play the whole Skyscraper album live plus they still had VH & EEAS material not to mention their solo spots so they can be "real" musicians.
                Something that definitely gets overlooked about DLR....he has picked young musicians to record with and given them a break and boosted the careers Ray Luzier, B-Young, Jason Becker, Greg Bissonette, etc.

Many of the die-hard DLR fans are built-in fans to his musicians as well and we follow their endeavors, like Ray Luzier, Steve Vai, Billy Sheehan, B-Young, etc.

It's nice to know that some of them are truly appreciative to have worked with DLR, like Ray Luzier.
                "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by BrownSound1
                  Vai bolted and joined Whitesnake, and from what I understand that REALLY pissed DLR off.
                  Vai has always been about Vai. Coverdale offers him a million $$$ .Of course he's gonna go for it.
                  Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

Working...