PDA

View Full Version : Dangling Saddam Photos at Gitmo

LoungeMachine
02-01-2007, 02:22 AM
Guantanamo inmates shown Saddam hanging photos: lawyer

By Rob Taylor
Reuters
Thursday, February 1, 2007; 1:14 AM

CANBERRA (Reuters) - Guantanamo Bay prison inmates were shown photographs of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein hanging from a rope following his execution, lawyers for Australia's only Guantanamo inmate said on Thursday.

In an attempt to intimidate inmates, the lead American lawyer for Australian detainee David Hicks said, pictures of Saddam's trial were also shown to detainees, along with articles about executions carried out by extremists.

"Displaying photos of condemned men to those who may be facing capital charges can only be interpreted as an attempt to intimidate and compel submission under a threat of death and mentally torture an already abused detainee population," Joshua Dratel said in a statement to media in Australia.

A spokesman for Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said he was unaware of whether the accusations were accurate, as they were not raised with an Australian official visiting the prison this week.

"This is the first we've heard of it. Mr Hicks did not take the issue up with the consul-general when he had the opportunity, nor has the legal team made an approach to us to follow it up with the Americans," the spokesman said.

"It's very hard to attempt to verify some of these claims if Mr Hicks himself doesn't feel the need to raise it with us directly."

Dratel said photos of Saddam's 2006 trial were on an exercise yard poster, which also read: "Because Saddam chose not to co-operate and not tell the truth, because he thought by lying he would get released, for that reason he was executed."

Speaking after visiting Hicks at Guantanamo Bay ahead of charges to be laid against the Australian before a late-February deadline demanded by Canberra, Dratel said the photos and articles breached Geneva Conventions protecting prisoners of war.

One of the articles centered on the accidental decapitation of a prisoner while being hanged -- possibly Saddam's half-brother Barzan Ibrahim who was executed in Baghdad last month.

"This display is another vivid example of the coercive and dehumanizing environment that exists at (Guantanamo)," Dratel and Hicks's Australian lawyer Michael Griffin said.

"Unfortunately it demonstrates that the lessons of Abu Ghraib and the humane treatment of detainees have not been learned."

Hicks, 31, was arrested in Afghanistan in late 2001 and accused of fighting for al Qaeda. He is among around 395 suspected al Qaeda and Taliban fighters being held in the U.S. enclave, and is tipped to be one of the first to face trial.

Charges against Hicks of conspiracy, attempted murder and aiding the enemy were dropped when the U.S. Supreme Court last June rejected the tribunal system set up by President George W. Bush to try foreign terrorism suspects.

Hicks, a convert to Islam, had previously pleaded not guilty.

On Wednesday Hicks released a statement though his lawyers claiming abuse and intimidation by his American military jailers, while his legal team called for an independent medical assessment of his mental condition.

His case is straining Canberra's staunch support for the U.S.-led war on terror, as conservative Prime Minister John Howard faces re-election later this year against polls showing 62 percent of Australians oppose the way the Iraq war has been handled.

BigBadBrian
02-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Guantanamo inmates shown Saddam hanging photos: lawyer

:killer:

Hardrock69
02-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Ah hahahahaha!!!

Fuck those losers.

hideyoursheep
02-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Did they show them pictures of Zarqawi, Uday and Kusay too?

I don't think these types give a rat's ass for Saddam,really.

I hear they are allowed 1 centerfold of Bin-Laden per cell.

What do you think should happen to these detainees that like to spit on the guards?

Lqskdiver
02-01-2007, 05:07 PM
"This display is another vivid example of the coercive and dehumanizing environment that exists at (Guantanamo)," Dratel and Hicks's Australian lawyer Michael Griffin said.

GEEZUZ!! :rolleyes:

hideyoursheep
02-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Right. If I said I was losing sleep over the "treatment" of Gitmo detainees, I is a lying mofo.

LoungeMachine
02-01-2007, 06:51 PM
So much for the presumtion of innocence and DUE PROCESS in this country.

Remind me who are the Fascists again?

Until they can PROVE in a court of Law that these guys weren't TURNED OVER FOR THE BOUNTY MONEY they are innocent.

Have you all gone mad?

What the fuck ever happened to us being the ROLE MODEL for the world.

You'd all be SPITTING NAILS if it were AMERICANS being treated like this.

Fucking hypocrites.

4 years later and no one's even had a trial

HABEUS CORPUS mean anything to you people?

ELVIS
02-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Role model for the world ??

LoungeMachine
02-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Role model for the world ??

At one time yes.

You think our incredible immigration numbers was for the weather.

Military, Justice, Freedom, Arts, Sciences, Freedom of Religion, Philanthropy, Innovation, Technology.

If you know anyone who lives outside of AMERICA, [or Louisiana for that matter] and have spent any time talking to them over the last 6 years, you'd know how far we've sunk in their eyes.

I know YOU don't care what the rest of the world thinks of us.

But I do. I think my current government reflects poorly on what my core beliefs are.

If YOUR core beliefs, Mr. Jesus Follower, includes TORTURE, RENDITITION, AND MURDER, well then I feel sorry for you.

And us. :(

ODShowtime
02-01-2007, 07:59 PM

HABEUS CORPUS mean anything to you people?

Obviously not to the Attorney General:

"The Constitution doesn't say every individual in the United States or every citizen is hereby granted or assured the right of habeas,'' Gonzales told Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing Jan. 17.

“You may be treading on your interdiction of violating common sense,” Specter said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/24/MNGDONO11O1.DTL

I forget if I read this here or not, but I don't care what FORD says, Arlen Spector is THE man.

LoungeMachine
02-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Spector IS the man.

FORD still holds it against him the whole "Warren Commission" fiasco.

Rightly so, but.....

ODShowtime
02-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Spector IS the man.

FORD still holds it against him the whole "Warren Commission" fiasco.

Rightly so, but.....

I just feel so privileged to have been able to vote for the man who has talked more shit on gw&friends than ANYONE.

Just right in their face, big old 'fuck you's

AND he's a Republican!

hideyoursheep
02-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Until they can PROVE in a court of Law that these guys weren't TURNED OVER FOR THE BOUNTY MONEY they are innocent.
Have you all gone mad?

POW's given 3 hots and a cot? If they were americans they would be DEAD!!!News flash LM,the opposition dosn't keep captured Americans living for very long. Why am I supposed to be outraged over some pictures they may or may not have actually seen? Speaking of not seeing someone,our local boy,Matt Maupin hasn't had his visit by the Red Cross yet. It's been since Apr.04. Do you think they give two fucks about his due process?
WE are dealing with some low-down motherfuckers,Lounge.You can't just take their word for it. They are interpreters by day and insurgents by night.That's no shit. No matter how LONG they've been @ gitmo,I assure you their treatment is far better than the opposition's.There have been some released,you know. It isn't Gulag in there.

:uck: I'm fresh out of nails.

LoungeMachine
02-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Forgotten Abu Graib already, huh.

So much for us taking the high road, and letting the Japanese and Germans be the brutal thugs.

We've become what we always said we despised.

LoungeMachine
02-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
POW's given 3 hots, a cot, and a waterboarding

:mad:

hideyoursheep
02-01-2007, 08:35 PM
POW's given 3 hots and a cot and a waterboarding

:lol: Nice to see you're in rare form once you finish "sweatin' to the oldies,Richard.:D

hideyoursheep
02-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Forgotten Abu Graib already, huh.

Oh,yes. The famous postcards from Iraq.

That wasn't a policy,that was some knucklehead reservists(some of which were civilian COPS) being stupid when no one was watching,nothing more. That alleged rape recently deserved more attention,but there were no PICTURES for people to gasp at.
:rolleyes:

hideyoursheep
02-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Forgotten how to spell Abu Graib already, help me out.

Sure. Abu Ghriab.:)

pflo
02-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Fuck the yanks in Guantanamo.Get the fuck outta there, aint your fuckin country, arrogant pricks, Id like to see a photoshop of bush hanged. I would blow it up, hang it on my wall, and make sure I spit a huge loogie on it every day.:elvis:

pflo
02-01-2007, 09:51 PM

Have you all gone mad?

What the fuck ever happened to us being the ROLE MODEL for the world.

Fucking hypocrites.

HABEUS CORPUS mean anything to you people? Dude, you need to move.America dont deserve you, you too smart. OR run for office.

LoungeMachine
02-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Sure. Abu Ghriab.:)

Usama, Osama

Kaddafi

Quaddaffi

I've seen Abu Grahib

Abu Graib

And Abu FugU :D

hideyoursheep
02-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by pflo
Fuck the yanks in Guantanamo.Get the fuck outta there, aint your fuckin country, arrogant pricks, Id like to see a photoshop of bush hanged. I would blow it up, hang it on my wall, and make sure I spit a huge loogie on it every day.:elvis:

Who rattled your cage today? And why are'nt your countrymen sending the requested troop #s to Afghanistan? Not giving up, are they?

:confused:

pflo
02-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Oh, fuck off....we have more troops in Afghanistan than anyone.Why? To peacekeep a country that YOUR country fucked up fighting the USSR in the first place. Wiping your ass once again. We dont set up jail in another country to circumvent our own laws with regard to interrogations.Wake the fuck up.

hideyoursheep
02-01-2007, 11:34 PM
BULL SHIT!

Go back to debating what your national language should be.

pflo
02-02-2007, 12:01 AM
"Bullshit"?? wow....Uh, OK? Is that the best you can do? There is no language debate. How about YOUR debate with the wetbacks in the southwest, like I even care. WTF you talkin bout , Willis? When I lays some cold hard truth on your ass, THAT is your response?? Sorry, I thought maybe you were a contender.My mistake. Go back to your sitcom escapism.

Nitro Express
02-02-2007, 04:28 AM
To Lindy Englad it was Abu Grab Some Ass!

ODShowtime
02-02-2007, 06:42 AM
Oh, fuck off....we have more troops in Afghanistan than anyone.Why? To peacekeep a country that YOUR country fucked up fighting the USSR in the first place. Wiping your ass once again.

Oh god, yeah it wasn't the Soviet's fault at all. :rolleyes:

Another moronic statement by the angry canadian.

hideyoursheep
02-02-2007, 09:29 AM
"Bullshit"?? wow....Uh, OK? Is that the best you can do? There is no language debate. How about YOUR debate with the wetbacks in the southwest, like I even care. WTF you talkin bout , Willis? When I lays some cold hard truth on your ass, THAT is your response?? Sorry, I thought maybe you were a contender.My mistake. Go back to your sitcom escapism.

"Wetbacks in the southwest...." Shows how much you actually KNOW about shit Pierre.I'm bored with your ignorant rants about all things US. None of which you can elaborate on. Just blast us without being informed.

hideyoursheep
02-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Usama, Osama

Kaddafi

Quaddaffi

I've seen Abu Grahib

Abu Graib

And Abu FugU :D

....let's call the whole thing off....

scamper
02-02-2007, 02:26 PM
When I lays some cold hard truth on your ass, THAT is your response??

Why don't you toss out a fact or two instead of trashing our country? Jealousy is a unattractive trait.

pflo
02-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Oh god, yeah it wasn't the Soviet's fault at all. :rolleyes:

Another moronic statement by the angry canadian. Wasnt responding to you, ATOMIC JERK. NOW you may fuck off.

pflo
02-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by scamper
Why don't you toss out a fact or two instead of trashing our country? Jealousy is a unattractive trait. Yeah, and Im really trying to pick you up. The extent of my jealousy towards the states starts and ends with the weather.I already tossed out facts, why dont you fuckin READ beyond the last post?? Guantanamo is in CUBA. Did you know that Cuba is not one of the states? Its true. Wanna 'nother lesson in geography? Neither is Iraq! Wow, amazing stuff, huh? Two FACTS for ya.

pflo
02-02-2007, 09:59 PM
"Wetbacks in the southwest...." Shows how much you actually KNOW about shit Pierre.I'm bored with your ignorant rants about all things US. None of which you can elaborate on. Just blast us without being informed. So bored with me you had to type up a response? And you call me Pierre? Yeah, REAL neutral. Youre just as bad. I dont speak a lick of french. If "wetback" offends you, you are a "stuck in the nineties PC everthing offend no one" type dude. For chrissakes, were called "frostbacks" and "cheeseheads"! I think its funny! Who gives a fuck? Words are just words. Sop being so sensitive about benign bullshit. YES, I like most americans Ive met, I even married one, AND shes partly Mexican. NO I do not like your governments foriegn policy, and If my government pulls shit like that, i would accept criticism from other nationals, hell yes! Its not a personal attack on you.

Nitro Express
02-03-2007, 04:15 AM
I thought a cheesehead was a person from Wisconsin.

BigBadBrian
02-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Oh, fuck off....we have more troops in Afghanistan than anyone.Why?

Because they make damn good targets for our fighter bombers.

:cool:

BigBadBrian
02-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Yeah, and Im really trying to pick you up. The extent of my jealousy towards the states starts and ends with the weather.I already tossed out facts, why dont you fuckin READ beyond the last post?? Guantanamo is in CUBA. Did you know that Cuba is not one of the states? Its true.

True enough, but the military base is ours. Just like we have bases in Germany, Korea, etc.

:gulp:

hideyoursheep
02-03-2007, 10:24 AM
NO I do not like your governments foriegn policy, and If my government pulls shit like that, i would accept criticism from other nationals, hell yes! Its not a personal attack on you.

My skin is too thick to consider it personal.

My point is illegals are EVERYWHERE-it hasn't been limited to the southwest;I guess you didn't know,did you?That's my point.

hideyoursheep
02-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
True enough, but the military base is ours. Just like we have bases in Germany, Korea, etc.

:gulp:

The Canadians have bases in other countries,too.Peeflow probably "forgot". :rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
02-03-2007, 10:49 AM
When a Canadian dies, does the exchange rate apply?

ODShowtime
02-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Wasnt responding to you, ATOMIC JERK. NOW you may fuck off.

I don't give a shit who you were responding to. You're not gonna bad mouth the United States of America in front of me and get away with it. Especially by saying that the problems in Afghanistan before the taliban were the US's fault. It's just ridiculous bullshit. You can't give one fact to support it.

You're ignorant. I'm gonna keep calling you out until you realize that.

ODShowtime
02-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Cuba is not one of the states? Its true. Wanna 'nother lesson in geography? Neither is Iraq! Wow, amazing stuff, huh? Two FACTS for ya.

wow, I was wrong. you are pretty smart. :rolleyes:

pflo
02-03-2007, 03:13 PM
I don't give a shit who you were responding to. You're not gonna bad mouth the United States of America in front of me and get away with it. Especially by saying that the problems in Afghanistan before the taliban were the US's fault. It's just ridiculous bullshit. You can't give one fact to support it.

You're ignorant. I'm gonna keep calling you out until you realize that. Since youre too lazy to look shit up yourself-U.S. subversion

In June of 1975, fundamentalists attempted to overthrow the PDPA government. They started the insurgent movement in the Panjshir valley, some 100 kilometers north of Kabul, and in a number of other provinces of the country. However, government forces easily suppressed the insurgency and a sizable portion of the insurgents defected and settled in Pakistan where they had total freedom of action. In May 1978, the insurgents found their first base in Pakistan to train armed bands for combat in Afghanistan. Afterwards, similar centers were found in Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt.

Numerous violations by US-backed Pakistan were reported. These included political activities and propaganda hostile to the government of Afghanistan taking place in Pakistan, border crossings of men and material from Pakistan to Afghanistan, cross-border firings, acts of sabotage, rocket attacks on major urban centres, violations of Afghan airspace by Pakistani aircraft, the continued presence in Pakistan of training camps and arms depots for Afghan insurgent groups, and direct involvement by Pakistani military personnel inside Afghanistan, as well as restrictions placed on refugees who wished to return to Afghanistan.

The former director of the CIA and current Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates, stated in his memoirs "From the Shadows", that American intelligence services began to aid the opposing factions in Afghanistan 6 months before the Soviet deployment. On July 3, 1979, US President Jimmy Carter signed a directive authorizing the CIA to conduct covert propaganda operations against the revolutionary regime.

Carter advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski stated "According to the official version of history, CIA aid to the Mujahadeen began during 1980, that is to say, after the Soviet army invaded Afghanistan, 24 Dec 1979. But the reality, secretly guarded until now, is completely otherwise." Brzezinski himself played a fundamental role in crafting U.S. policy, which, unbeknownst even to the Mujahideen, was part of a larger strategy "to induce a Soviet military intervention." In a 1998 interview with Le Nouvel Observateur, Brzezinski recalled proudly:

"That secret operation was an excellent idea. It had the effect of drawing the Soviets into the Afghan trap..." [...]"The day that the Soviets officially crossed the border, I wrote to President Carter. We now have the opportunity of giving to the Soviet Union its Vietnam War."

[edit] Theres more, but i aint your teacher, Ignoramus.Look your own shit up. I will badmouth any fuckin country I please, including my own, if need be, and I WILL get away with it, its a right. Do you still have those down there?

hideyoursheep
02-03-2007, 04:06 PM
The words "Taliban" and "Al-Qaida" are nowhere to be found,so don't try to blame tUS for assisting the Mujahadeen vs. the soviets. It was tUS forces remaining in Saudi Arabia after the Gulf War that got Bin-Laden's panties in a bunch.They ASKED for our help,and they paid for it.This drove Bin-Laden up the fuckin wall.
And the rest is history.

pflo
02-03-2007, 04:15 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ugghh!! Lets stay focused here...Showtime said I provided NO proof that the US had a hand in messing up Afghanistan BEFORE all this. Back in the 70's. THEY DID, whether he can face that fact is up to him.My last post is my response to that. Not talking about Al qaeda, not talking about taliban,not talking about 9/11. Theres my proof. Yes, I know about the Saudis and bin laden, thats not what im talking about..Showtime is a jingoist, that is, he thinks his country can do no wrong. Hes obviously wrong there.The US was playing games with the USSR, and doing it using Afghanistan as the bait. The result is was an escalation in tribal conflicts that still exists. The taliban and later binladen used this insatbility to find a safe haven .But thats not the issue. If the USSR had moved into Mexico and supplied the Mexicans with armaments, what do you think the states would do? Thats excactly what the US did in Afghanistan (a soviet neighbour, like Mexico is to you), and the USSR responded as expected. Once again , US hypocrysy.

ODShowtime
02-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Theres more, but i aint your teacher, Ignoramus.Look your own shit up. I will badmouth any fuckin country I please, including my own, if need be, and I WILL get away with it, its a right. Do you still have those down there?

Of course you can get away with it. Good for you. I'm just gonna point out all the stupid shit you type.

God you're a moron.

ODShowtime
02-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Showtime is a jingoist, that is, he thinks his country can do no wrong. Hes obviously wrong there.The US was playing games with the USSR, and doing it using Afghanistan as the bait. The result is was an escalation in tribal conflicts that still exists.

You're such a moron.

hideyoursheep
02-03-2007, 07:13 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ugghh!! Lets stay focused here...Showtime said I provided NO proof that the US had a hand in messing up Afghanistan BEFORE all this. Back in the 70's. THEY DID, whether he can face that fact is up to him.My last post is my response to that. Not talking about Al qaeda, not talking about taliban,not talking about 9/11. Theres my proof. Yes, I know about the Saudis and bin laden, thats not what im talking about..Showtime is a jingoist, that is, he thinks his country can do no wrong. Hes obviously wrong there.The US was playing games with the USSR, and doing it using Afghanistan as the bait. The result is was an escalation in tribal conflicts that still exists. The taliban and later binladen used this insatbility to find a safe haven .But thats not the issue. If the USSR had moved into Mexico and supplied the Mexicans with armaments, what do you think the states would do? Thats excactly what the US did in Afghanistan (a soviet neighbour, like Mexico is to you), and the USSR responded as expected. Once again , US hypocrysy.

What proof? The US provides aid to a country invaded by the Soviets and occupied for a decade,and the US fucked it up?You don't think maybe the CIA had their eye on the situation before the invasion,you're nuts.Better to prepare them BEFORE rather than do it on the fly.And even though the situation is how it is now,we are all better off than had the Soviets been successful,belive it or not.Think about how that could have ultimately affected the entire future of the WORLD! Dealing with the Sandal Brigade is alot more managable than a stronger USSR with a stranglehold on the Middle East.Nothing wrong with supplying advisors to a country invaded by another country who'se purpose was to annex it into the USSR. They were'nt trying to oust a dictator,find WMD's or hunt terrorists. It was unprovoked.A move of that kind had been in the works for years,and they chose a time of their convenience,and it didn't work. Thank God!I'm sure out of all the countries on the planet,the Soviets decided Afghanistan was it's biggest threat:rolleyes: Gimme a break! They saw it as a pushover into the entire region. Next stop?fill in the blank.

hideyoursheep
02-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I thought a cheesehead was a pornstar from Wisconsin.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

pflo
02-03-2007, 09:16 PM
You're such a moron. Stop. If "moron" is all you got, then you got nuthin.:D ;)

pflo
02-03-2007, 09:20 PM
What proof? The US provides aid to a country invaded by the Soviets and occupied for a decade,and the US fucked it up?You don't think maybe the CIA had their eye on the situation before the invasion,you're nuts.Better to prepare them BEFORE rather than do it on the fly.And even though the situation is how it is now,we are all better off than had the Soviets been successful,belive it or not.Think about how that could have ultimately affected the entire future of the WORLD! Dealing with the Sandal Brigade is alot more managable than a stronger USSR with a stranglehold on the Middle East.Nothing wrong with supplying advisors to a country invaded by another country who'se purpose was to annex it into the USSR. They were'nt trying to oust a dictator,find WMD's or hunt terrorists. It was unprovoked.A move of that kind had been in the works for years,and they chose a time of their convenience,and it didn't work. Thank God!I'm sure out of all the countries on the planet,the Soviets decided Afghanistan was it's biggest threat:rolleyes: Gimme a break! They saw it as a pushover into the entire region. Next stop?fill in the blank. I agree with you on some of that...but the fact is the US did have a hand in Afghanistan and destabilizing it. Not to mention leaving it a mess in the 80's.

LoungeMachine
02-03-2007, 09:23 PM
I agree with you on some of that...but the fact is the US did have a hand in Afghanistan and destabilizing it. Not to mention leaving it a mess in the 80's.

The CIA can only do so much.

Keeping Bin Laden alive and on the payroll was tough enough.

hideyoursheep
02-03-2007, 09:44 PM
The CIA can only do so much.

That's right. Before the breakup of the old Soviet empire,there was some Warsaw Pact "equipment" captured from the Afghan theatre I was or wasn't involved with. 2 months after the "inspection" was completed, the wall was coming down.Coincidence? Maybe. I can say the results weren't in the russians favor.

Somebody knows, but not me.

LoungeMachine
02-03-2007, 09:48 PM
That's right. Before the breakup of the old Soviet empire,there was some Warsaw Pact "equipment" captured from the Afghan theatre I was or wasn't involved with. 2 months after the "inspection" was completed, the wall was coming down.Coincidence? Maybe. I can say the results weren't in the russians favor.

Somebody knows, but not me.

You're so cloak-n-dagger. :D

You're Agent Sheep from now on. ;)

hideyoursheep
02-03-2007, 11:37 PM
You're so cloak-n-dagger. :D

You're Agent Sheep from now on. ;)

You didn't hear or see anything:angel: