PDA

View Full Version : Read some Linkers quotes about this reunion...

Rikk
02-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Some guy named Guitar5150 posted:
I will be "damned" to pay over $125 for a ticket to see a 16 year old on bass... two men who may not be able to stand one another ... and the same old set list (plus the "Look at all the people here tonight .. I forgot the words ... ect.) Granted Eddie was not on top of his game for the 2004 tour .. but Mike and Sam were! Two professionals who delivered there part of the show! Period!
Makes me think the if the "Other Half" toured again .. you may get a better "outing" for your money. Plus I am sure they would make new music, or play some great covers that the crowd would love!

BadToTheBones posted:
not to make this a "other half vs. Van Halen" thread but I went and saw Mike and Sam over the summer, I paid 20 bucks for 2 tickets. Got there early and they had a beach set up, you could play mike's bass and sammy's guitars, they had a tequilla stand set up, it was like a big party. Honestly it was fun as hell, hot chicks bikini's, it don't geet much better.

So Hagar has a solo career? Read what Lodewijk posted:
And as far as Hagar goes......yeah, it's great that his tickets were around 10 bucks last year, but even at that, the two shows I was at were half full at best.....what does that tell you ?

Hey, check out Jimmy the mod's sig!:D:
My buddy Rikk on EVH - God, Eddie is such a fucking prick. And he's fooling himself if he really thinks he's the best guitar player in history.

COOL! I'm famous.

Menlow basically echoes a lot of sentiments here:
More importantly though, with Mike out and Wolfie in, it just takes so much wind out of those sails. Had it been a true reunion, I would already be mapping out which shows I'd travel to, which ones I'd do premium packages for,budgeting a ton of money to spend, and happily counting down the days till it happened. I would be so excited that it almost wouldn't even matter how good the show was. Instead......

Brett himself:
Only Eddie could fuck up a slam-dunk reunion by somehow throwing his 16-year old kid into the mix. Nonsense.

IcySky hit it right on the head:
The more days that pass without an official announcement the less excited I become. I have a feeling that Dave is going to tell the brothers to shove this "reunion" up their collective asses and tell them good luck since Ed thinks anyone can sing for the band.

My buddy Greenpaw hit it right on the head:
I'm still hoping Dave does this. A perfect revenge for 1996, string them along and then at the last minute pull the plug.

Vanzefflin has this to say:
Makes ya wonder who Ed will go after next? After you've fucked up your own kid, what's left?

I'll leave it with Wingnut...great quote:
Maybe I'm hating, I'll admit it. My VH glow has been powered by the monentum of the CVH era, but it has faded almost into nothingness. When I listen to CVH, it rocks but it always is bitter-sweet when I think about what could have been after 1985 but was destroyed by children.

http://www.apostropher.com/blog/img/scaryeddie.jpg

BrownSound1
02-01-2007, 01:11 PM
You know, I seem to remember some of those folks saying "it's all Van Halen as long as Ed and Alex are involved." Funny how attitudes change, don't you think. ;) Changing the front man doesn't matter to them, but changing the bassist does? Hypocritical if you ask me.

Most of us here have always maintained that VH is the sum of Dave, Ed, Al, and Mike. That still holds true for me. However, I know that the "magic" springs from Ed and Dave, and this is nothing more than a Page/Plant type of thing in my eyes. I'll take 3/4 over a half any day of the week. :D

ALinChainz
02-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I will also.

I figure its better than nothing, but it could have been done right.

We'll have to take what we can get and if it isn't good enough, we have the choice to go or not.

As of now, I'll go with it.

isthatTHUNDER?!
02-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
I will also.

I figure its better than nothing, but it could have been done right.

We'll have to take what we can get and if it isn't good enough, we have the choice to go or not.

As of now, I'll go with it.

But were you asked your opinion? You will not offer an opinion unless asked.

jhale667
02-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by isthatTHUNDER?!
I'm STILL hungry for da cock.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/jhale667/drop.jpg

PlexiBrown
02-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Who is Van Halen?

ELVIS
02-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Nobody knows for sure...

Vinnie Velvet
02-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Nobody knows for sure...

SHUT UP!!!!

:mad:

Rikk
02-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
SHUT UP!!!!

:mad:

Uh oh...this is gonna get ugly.

DLR_EngineRoom
02-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
Most of us here have always maintained that VH is the sum of Dave, Ed, Al, and Mike. That still holds true for me. However, I know that the "magic" springs from Ed and Dave, and this is nothing more than a Page/Plant type of thing in my eyes. I'll take 3/4 over a half any day of the week. :D

Perfectly said. Ed n' Dave is a reunion unto itself. But from Ed n' Al's way of thinking, it was ALWAYS about the name - Van Halen. So losing an 'Roth' for a 'Hagar' never meant much to them. But even more so on that line of thinking - losing an 'Anthony' for a 'Van Halen' is a brilliant move.

Steve Savicki
02-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
Changing the front man doesn't matter to them, but changing the bassist does? :D
Perhaps that's the main distinction between the Army and the Links.
But of course, the Army webbies came from there so no need to put the Links down.:D

Rikk
02-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Nobody's putting the Links down, Steven. In fact, quite a few of those posts I quoted are actually ones I agree with...just not the first few.

I've never been into the whole way of thinking that the Links posters are of one mind. Some terrible posters there with awful taste, but some very cool people too.

Terry
02-01-2007, 10:22 PM
In a lot of ways, the issue wasn't so much that it was Sammy Hagar that was chosen to sing after Roth quit, but just the fact that Roth wasn't there, period.

Frankly, both Ed and Dave were at their best when they were bandmates, and even when the EEAS lineup was totally rocking, it was never quite the same as CVH at their full-tilt boogying best. And CVH was never about nostalgia, or being incapable of putting out a new album before hitting the road. CVH were always moving forward, putting out new music...even in 1996. While I wasn't particularly bowled over by a few tracks on Diver Down and about half of 1984, the band was still creating.

What is probably gonna transpire this year (and I say probably until tickets actually go on sale) is just a different feeling I'm not used to when thinking about the group. It's no longer about creating, but with no new material and Ed authorizing overpriced replicas of his primary CVH axe, it's rather an attempt to recreate the past for as much money as that will generate. I can't say if it's because Ed is just fresh out of ideas or inspiration, or if the personal dynamics between Roth and the Van Halens are so toxic that making new music just isn't possible...

But it's CVH, or 3/4s of it anyway, taking the path of least resistance. And taking the path of least resistance has never been something I associated with that lineup. They did things their way, were (outside of guitar mags) derided by 'serious' rock journalists until they became so big that the music media HAD to take notice...they inspired legions of bands to the point where there was a glut of EVH and DLR wannabes and clones...

And now Van Halen is doing THE most cliched thing as far as reunions go...playing just the oldies, without the entire definitive lineup. CVH should be the exception to the rule for bland, average reunions, and be excecuting theirs with a display of creativity and audactiousness. But nothing that's being proposed as happening this year, outside of the freak-show element of a teenager on bass, is anything other than mundane as far as presentation goes.

These guys better get some serious rehearsal time in and make those songs blaze with attitude, because the expectations of the dream are shy-high. At least on my part as a fan. To have wanted to see this happen for so long, and to see it unfolding the way it appears to have so far, ain't exactly giving me a warm cozy.

Guess we'll just have to see what happens when they take it to the stage.

DlocRoth
02-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Nail, meet head....

Spot on, Terry....

Freebird, anyone?

light 'em up!
02-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
[b]Some guy named Guitar5150 posted:
but Mike and Sam were! Two professionals who delivered there part of the show! Period!

I am thinking of a video clip I saw of Sammy falling flat on his fat ass during one of the show. I think he was wearing Capri pants and those ridiculous shades that you just want to flick right off his face. Sam has no style.

Hardrock69
02-01-2007, 11:37 PM
One of the quotes stuck out to me:

Only Eddie could fuck up a slam-dunk reunion by somehow throwing his 16-year old kid into the mix. Nonsense.

Leave it to spEd to fuck everything up.

What else is new?

I suppose if Dave told him he better get bassplayer back, he would go sobbing into his Smoking Loon bottle....

"Mommee.....Dave is treating me mean again!!!! *SOB!*"

:rolleyes:

BrownSound1
02-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
Perhaps that's the main distinction between the Army and the Links.
But of course, the Army webbies came from there so no need to put the Links down.:D

I don't know if it is a distinction or not. I see as many varied views here as I do at the Links. Some are stoked that Ed and Dave are getting together, some are majorly pissed that MA has been fired, etc. I don't see any difference between here and there. My problem with some people is just as I stated in my initial post. When Dave wasn't in the band it was still VH according to some, but now that Dave is back and MA is gone it isn't VH. What kind of logic is that? My argument all of these years has been that VH can only be the original line up, and that still holds true today.

I would think the people who accepted Hagar and Cherone, or stated.."it's all VH" would accept this version as well. What's the fucking difference? Apparently it only applies to the lead singer slot, and not the bassist whose main contribution was great background vocals.

Just to clarify, my intention was not to put the Links down, nor is it in reference to the whole site. It applies to people on the VHML too, as well as some people here at the Army.

conmee
02-02-2007, 01:27 AM
FYI... most of us came from Slawterhouse... pre-Links.... but via Links to DLR Army... pre-server crash... to Roth Army.

Carry on.

Icon.

BrownSound1
02-02-2007, 03:02 AM
Ah yes, good ol' Slawterhouse. Wonder whatever happened to Coreen. :D

bueno bob
02-02-2007, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
One of the quotes stuck out to me:

Leave it to spEd to fuck everything up.

What else is new?

I suppose if Dave told him he better get bassplayer back, he would go sobbing into his Smoking Loon bottle....

"Mommee.....Dave is treating me mean again!!!! *SOB!*"

:rolleyes:

Of course he would.

He's Eddie Van Halen.