PDA

View Full Version : Do you suppose Dave didn't want Mike in VH

gburt_lagnaf
02-02-2007, 11:08 PM
I don't have any hard evidence, and I'm feeling too lazy to google old articles and quotes. But I do seem to remember reading a news article or two where Mike was saying how he didn't like DLR. Maybe this feeling is mutual.

It's obvious that Mike and Sammy get along great... and maybe that has something to do with Mike not getting along with Dave. You know, the new girlfriend is always better than the one you broke up with.

So, I guess there's two conspiracy theories I'm throwing out here...

One is that Mike refused to be a part of the band if Dave was in it.

And the other is that Dave refused to be part of the band if Mike was in it.

Or maybe the alcohol is affecting my brain cells.

distortion9
02-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Any sane person would put their personal feelings aside to get this thing done RIGHT. Obviously this excludes Eddie and Eddie is the only one to blame.

If Dave toured with Sammy, he most certainly would tour with Mike.

Mike respects the legacy of Van Halen and digs the fans. He would put personal feelings aside to do a "REAL" reunion.

Don't fool yourself....it's fucking ED.

Terry
02-02-2007, 11:22 PM
I do recall a 1997 online interview where Mike claimed to have said to Ed and Al that he didn't want to tour with Dave...not that he WOULDN'T, but that he wasn't happy about the prospect of Roth being back in the band.

But Mike not being there this year has much more to do with Ed and Al, and little to do with Dave. Least that's my instinct.

Plus, Mike would have to be feeling pretty awkward going onstage with them these days anyway, as he and Dave don't share any particular friendship, and Ed just plain doesn't want him around.

Think Dave realized that THIS is his shot at a Van Halen reunion. And a second shot, at that. Probably not the ideal reunion he may have been dreaming of all these years, but (to resort to a contemporary totally overused phrase) it is what it is. Take it or leave it.

Dave took it. Hey, these guys aren't getting any younger. What was he gonna do? Wait ANOTHER decade, hope everyone was still breathing and that maybe all the planets lined up in the perfect, symmetrical harmonic convergence to provide the KILLER reunion scenario?

Bob_R
02-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by distortion9
Any sane person would put their personal feelings aside to get this thing done RIGHT. Obviously this excludes Eddie and Eddie is the only one to blame.

If Dave toured with Sammy, he most certainly would tour with Mike.

Mike respects the legacy of Van Halen and digs the fans. He would put personal feelings aside to do a "REAL" reunion.

Don't fool yourself....it's fucking ED.

I agree. Well said.

POJO_Risin
02-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Nah...Mike wanted Dave to either play with he and Hagar during the Sam and Dave tour...

or let him play with Dave...during that tour...

so it's possible that Dave said no...

but I doubt it...

it's all about spED

atomicpnk47
02-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by gburt_lagnaf
I don't have any hard evidence, and I'm feeling too lazy to google old articles and quotes. But I do seem to remember reading a news article or two where Mike was saying how he didn't like DLR. Maybe this feeling is mutual.

It's obvious that Mike and Sammy get along great... and maybe that has something to do with Mike not getting along with Dave. You know, the new girlfriend is always better than the one you broke up with.

I think it's the latter dude....

atomicpnk47
02-02-2007, 11:30 PM
They may be old but their skinny...Dont forget if it were'nt for Spammy back in 04 MA would'nt have been apart of that deal.

indeedido
02-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Ding, fries are done.

FORD
02-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Dave has been complimentary to Mike for the most part, crediting him for a lot of input in how the lights and the stage were set up on the early VH shows. About the worst thing I've ever heard Dave say about Sobolewski is "I'd sooner shake his hand than seperate his shoulder".

One might assume that since Bassplayer was so close to Sammy, he might have something against Dave, but then why would he offer to play with Dave's band on stage on the 2002 tour, if that was the case.

Eddie is the reason Michael Anthony is (apparently) not in the band for this tour. If it were up to Dave or Mike, I have a feeling you would see the original 4 on stage.

POJO_Risin
02-02-2007, 11:49 PM
I guarantee you that Mike would be a part if they asked.

I'm positive that Mike had complimentary things to say about 2000 initially...

and like I said...he said himself that he wanted to be out onstage with Roth...like old times...

AJW
02-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Terry
I do recall a 1997 online interview where Mike claimed to have said to Ed and Al that he didn't want to tour with Dave...not that he WOULDN'T, but that he wasn't happy about the prospect of Roth being back in the band.

But Mike not being there this year has much more to do with Ed and Al, and little to do with Dave. Least that's my instinct.

Plus, Mike would have to be feeling pretty awkward going onstage with them these days anyway, as he and Dave don't share any particular friendship, and Ed just plain doesn't want him around.

Think Dave realized that THIS is his shot at a Van Halen reunion. And a second shot, at that. Probably not the ideal reunion he may have been dreaming of all these years, but (to resort to a contemporary totally overused phrase) it is what it is. Take it or leave it.

Dave took it. Hey, these guys aren't getting any younger. What was he gonna do? Wait ANOTHER decade, hope everyone was still breathing and that maybe all the planets lined up in the perfect, symmetrical harmonic convergence to provide the KILLER reunion scenario?

Great post Terry. And that is why I am going to see them when they hit the NY/NJ area. I never got to see Van Halen with Dave and I look at this as a once in a lifetime event for me. It's a damn shame Mikey is not involved but like you said Dave probably felt that this was the best chance to do something with VH at this time.

BrownSound1
02-03-2007, 01:20 AM
Let us not forget that there was a move as far back as Women and Children First to get rid of Mike and replace him with Billy Sheehan. Let us also not forget that Ed totally trashed MA in an interview during the Diver Down era. Ed was pissed at Mike for going out on the Sam and Dave tour, and from all accounts I've heard Dave did not want MA to play with him live. This is a long time brewing if you ask me.

I'd love to see it be a full on reunion, but fuck it. My son wants to see Eddie and Dave together, and truth be told that's what I've wanted all of these years too. Those two made the magic, and I'm sure Al contributed a lot, but I just never really put MA in that equation. If VH was about background vocals I guess I'd have a different view, but it ain't. Like I've said before, look at it in the Page/Plant view or as DLR solo with Ed and Al guesting.

VHrocks
02-03-2007, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Nah...Mike wanted Dave to either play with he and Hagar during the Sam and Dave tour...

or let him play with Dave...during that tour...

so it's possible that Dave said no...

but I doubt it...

it's all about spED
You are The Man POJO. Also, if you will remember, back in 1985 - Michael was the one who stood up for Dave. As you said Bro, it's all about spED.

Genius + Smoking Loon + Meth + Cancer + Losing Valerie = 5150.

5150 is a section of California's Welfare and Institutions Code which allows a qualified officer or clinician to involuntarily confine a person deemed a danger to himself, herself, or others[1]. A qualified officer, which includes any California peace officer, as well as any specifically designated county clinician, can request the confinement after signing a written declaration. When used as a term, 5150 can informally refer to the person being confined as well as the declaration itself.

GreenBayLA
02-03-2007, 04:25 AM
As it's been said, I put it on Ed.

bru87tr
02-03-2007, 08:24 AM
did Mike say in an interview that on the S&D tour he and dave talked and asked dave why couldnt he just tone it down to get the reunion rolling ?

mott98
02-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Eddie said in December, Wolfie is in the band. We are going on tour. We might go with Roth, but we might not--we might go with another singer, but we are going on tour.

So Mikey is out, Wolfie is in was a done deal whether Roth got involved or not.

If Dave had anything to do with it, we would have to assume Mike was in if the Dave reunion fell through. But again, from that interview in December, we know that would never have been the case.

Ed did it.

katie
02-03-2007, 07:32 PM
The seed was sown for wolfie to be in the band back in 2004 by letting him on the stage for a spot with dad.

The rest is (family) history...............
Shame:(

Katie

Matt White
02-03-2007, 11:41 PM
I thought the "seed was sown" back in 1990.....:confused:

Halen High
02-04-2007, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Terry

Terry, I remember that interview with Mike. I printed it off the VHND, and yes, you are right. In that interview Mike made it clear he did not want Dave to come back.

That's why I have little sympathy for Mike being out. He appears to put his friendship with Sammy ahead of what's best for VH and most of their fans.

Halen High
02-04-2007, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by mott98
Eddie said in December, Wolfie is in the band. We are going on tour. We might go with Roth, but we might not--we might go with another singer, but we are going on tour.

So Mikey is out, Wolfie is in was a done deal whether Roth got involved or not.

If Dave had anything to do with it, we would have to assume Mike was in if the Dave reunion fell through. But again, from that interview in December, we know that would never have been the case.

Ed did it.

I think Dave's been in since September/October last year. There was probably some last minute posturing going on, maybe some minor legal adjustments too, hence the delay in making an announcement.

Knuclebones03
02-04-2007, 05:13 AM
I remember hearing DLR wanted Mike so that way it could be a true reunion but its all EDDIE. Him and Mikey havent been getting along way before the 2004 reunion. I read even before that Sam had to convince EVH to let MA play or there wasnt going to be a reunion with Sam singing. Hey but look it at this way. DLR and the boys have rehearsed with Wolfie on bass and Im sure if DLR didnt like what he heard with Wolfie playing bass he wouldve said something. Its Ed's call about MA. WHoevers playing bass Im so there. Hope you guys are too. lates

Don Corleone
02-04-2007, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by gburt_lagnaf

You're fairly wide of the mark there - All I say is Ed (and Al) have a reason that they don't want Mike involved at all in this or other Van Halen projects (and it has nothing to do with Sam).

Halen High
02-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
You're fairly wide of the mark there - All I say is Ed (and Al) have a reason that they don't want Mike involved at all in this or other Van Halen projects (and it has nothing to do with Sam).

Can you elaborate on that? That's cool if you can't, but I'd sure like to know what it is the brothers have against Mike.

Carmine
02-04-2007, 08:44 AM

When the Van Halen's mother passed away...Mike did nothing, correct?

If thats true....I don't blame Ed or Al at all...

A reason that has been mostly overlooked by everyone, that has nothing to do with Hagar, and maybe, the reason that Roth has accepted this thing without Mike.

I would too....

Don Corleone
02-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Carmine
When the Van Halen's mother passed away...Mike did nothing, correct?

If thats true....I don't blame Ed or Al at all...

A reason that has been mostly overlooked by everyone, that has nothing to do with Hagar, and maybe, the reason that Roth has accepted this thing without Mike.

I would too....

Got it in one Carmine. Mike has never called to pass on any form of condolence to Ed and Al at the passing of their mother.

Dave called

Sam even called

Mike did nothing

Carmine
02-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Got it in one Carmine. Mike has never called to pass on any form of condolence to Ed and Al at the passing of their mother.

Dave called

Sam even called

Mike did nothing

I knew it...

Thanks Don...

Totally classless on Mikes part...

Again, I'd have kicked him to the curb too.

jgdrag
02-04-2007, 10:04 AM
This is from bassplayer's 1996 interview

Mike: Oh no... I told them I didn't want to work with Dave and I wouldn't wanna tour with him.

Fuck bassplayer

bru87tr
02-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Mike must be in shock that he is the one out of Van Halen and Dave is in.

Dave must be laughing all the way to the bank. hahahahahahahaha

who would have thought ?

if Mike really said that in 96', then he got his wish and deserves what he asked for. oh well.

Vinnie Velvet
02-04-2007, 11:52 AM

Dave called

Sam even called

Mike did nothing

What an idiot.

After all that Dave and Sam had been through with the sisters, they still called.

Fuck bass player for that stupid move.

katie
02-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Halen High
I think Dave's been in since September/October last year. There was probably some last minute posturing going on, maybe some minor legal adjustments too, hence the delay in making an announcement.

Ross halfin & myself have been telling you lot this since last oct.

You can lead a horse to water.....................LOL

katie
02-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Sammy is very clever he knows Mike was a big Montrose fan and has always looked up to him.
And he has used this as a was of fucking up the CVH reunion.
Don't blame MIke cos he really IS that stupid, look to Sammy for the reason Mike is not involved

Katie
x

kamaboko
02-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by bru87tr
Mike must be in shock that he is the one out of Van Halen and Dave is in.

Dave must be laughing all the way to the bank. hahahahahahahaha

who would have thought ?

if Mike really said that in 96', then he got his wish and deserves what he asked for. oh well.

I think all of them are doing pretty good in the bank regardless of this tour. At least I don't see any of them hurting for cash.