PDA

View Full Version : Michael Anthony 1996 interview

jgdrag
02-04-2007, 09:07 AM
An Interview With bass player

On August 6, 1996 Michael Anthony was interviewed by Michel from the Dutch 5150 Fan Club. At the time of the interview, the band had just finished recording the two new tracks with David Lee Roth and were starting to work on the mixing. Here is the complete interview.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I might as well do the Introduction for this Interview in English too, because there was not very much Dutch in the conversation I had with Mike on August 6, either. As usual he was very kind and helpful So he made things clear about the current situation especially for us, the fans who can't believe what happened...

Michel: What's happening over there?

Mike: Oh, there's so much happening, you wouldn't believe. You know, Sammy's not in the band...

Michel: How come?

Mike: What it came down to is that he doesn't want to work. We were working on the music for the Twister-movie and he was in Hawaii at that time and he wanted us to do the music and then send him the tape. We said "No, we should all be in the studio together because we're a band". And that's how we always did it, so.... (Then Mike had to take care for his daughter for a few seconds). We finally got him to get back to work on the songs. He only came in for two days. So we had to try to get all the lyrics and vocals done in two days. Which was kind of hard. And he flew home. (Sammy lives on Hawaii - VH5150). Simply: he didn't want to work. He finally admitted to Ed that he was frustrated and he wanted to do his own thing. When he quit the band he was in Hawaii and he came back to work on some new material. I think he was looking for a new recording contract, because when he left our band, Warner Brothers Records dropped him from the label. He was telling everybody that we were talking to David Lee Roth behind his back, which we weren't.... He started to attack the band. He is basically lying. He wants everybody to have sympathy for him. Thinking we kicked him out. And that's not the case at all.

Michel: It's a strange situation and hard to choose. I feel sympathy for Sam as well.

Mike: I'm sad about it, too. Unfortunately, it's the same thing when David Lee Roth quit. We got a feeling that Sammy was going to want to retire, I guess you could say. Plain and simple: he just didn't want to work. Put the time in. Halfway through the project for the Twister-movie he said that he didn't want to do it. Eddie said: "Well, if you didn't want to do it, you should have just told us." Then maybe we just had done some music.

Michel: Later I read that Sammy was looking forward to record a new Van Halen album. And now this, that's very strange.

Mike: I think it's funny too, because we were going to do the first of a Best Of album. We probably will put out some more, too. But he didn't wanna do that. He has told everybody that when a band puts out a Best Of-album, their career is ending. If you look at it, Sammy has put some Best Of-albums himself I don't understand why he doesn't wanna do it with Van Halen. I think he was a little intimidated, being on the same album with songs with Roth. I think he was always a little intimidated by that. People always want us to do a lot of the older material. And he didn't wanna do it.

Michel: That's right. But why do you work with Dave again? That's weird!

Mike: It is. Actually, when all this was going on with Sammy, David called Ed because he just wanted to know what songs we were going to release.

Michel: He didn't know about Sammy...

Mike: Right. He didn't know that we had problems with Sammy. He just called because he wanted to know what songs we were using of the old Van Halen on this Best Of-album. And then when everything happened with Sammy, he wanted to meet the band. Actually Eddie suggested... he said "Wouldn't it be something if we worked up a song or two, new ones with Dave'? That will surprise all the Van Halen fans" We got together. We had a meeting with Dave. It's funny because he was very humble. He hasn't got a record contract now. He admitted that he has made big mistakes and that he did the wrong thing. He admitted that he has a very big ego. Hopefully he's better now. But he realized that after leaving Van Halen he couldn't do anything else. That it always got compared to Van Halen. So actually yesterday (August 5) we just finished recording two new songs with him. All I can tell you right now is that people are going to be very surprised by what they hear.

Michel: I'm sure.

Mike: Because the songs turned out great.

Michel: How do you feel about this situation personally? In the press the band always hated David Lee Roth. And now all of a sudden you're working with the guy!

Mike: Yeah, I know. A lot of people were surprised by that. Actually I was the last person in the band to accept the fact that this would happen. Eddie was the one that wanted to do it. He met with Dave two or three times. And that last time, I called over there and I talked to Dave. It was the first time I talked to him in eleven years.

Michel: You didn't, in all those years?

Mike: Oh no... I told them I didn't want to work with Dave and I wouldn't wanna tour with him. But I'm in Van Halen and Eddie and Alex are my brothers. And if they wanted to do it I would do it, too.... It was kind of hard at first because musically we're pretty much evolved a lot more than Dave did. But we have a producer by the name of Glen Ballard and he worked on new songs with us. And all I got- to say is that this guy is the best producer we've ever worked with. He's the most normal person. He doesn't have an ego like a lot of producers do. And when we're going to do our next studio record, he probably will produce it for us.

Michel: He also did the Alanis Morissette-album, right?

Mike: Yes. And he did the latest Aerosmith, but I don't even know if that will ever come out. Glen wasn't going to be able to do this with us because he was mixing Aerosmith. But they got some problems, so he quit their project to do us. Which was great because we wanted to work with him. I think these two songs turned out great. We're taking this a small step at a time. Now everybody wants the reunion tour.

Michel: Is it going to happen?

Mike: Right now, I don't think it's going to happen. But we're taking it a small step at a time. If the demand is really so overwhelming then we might... They already offered us to headline Donington next year. Yeah, lots of money. Big money. We wouldn't want people to think that we that that's the reason that we're doing it.

Michel: I'm afraid that's the first thing that people are going to say. It's the same thing with Kiss. I'm not interested in Kiss, but I like to see that show. And I think a lot of people do.

Mike: We make it perfectly clear that we don't need the money. If we do it, we would be doing it do it strictly for our fans and it would be one tour and that's it. Because after we've finished mixing these songs, we will be looking for a new singer.

Michel: I've heard some names. One of them is Chris Segan. I've never heard of that guy.

Mike: Neither do 1. (laughs). Some people thought it would be Vince Neil. They passed me a rumor that said it would be Sabastian Bach. We're thinking about it right now... when we're looking for a singer, we're going to find somebody who's unknown. Anything you hear right now, is just rumors.

Michel: I turn out the cassette if you want, then we can talk about it off the record.

Mike: There'tr so many rumors, right now that this guy is going to sing for us or that guy. And they're all just rumors because we didn't start looking for anybody yet.

Michel: The first name I heard was Billy Squier.

Mike: Billy Squier called our office, so that might have been why you heard. He is very popular in the United States for a long time. We know that he called our office but we weren't considering Billy Squier. He wouldn't be right for our band.

Michel: I bought his new Best Of-cd and there's some pretty good stuff on it.

Mike: He's a good singer.

Michel: He's got a good voice. With Van Halen-music it would sound great.

Mike: Well, you know Michael, the way I think of it: we can make any singer sound good. We're going to be known as the band that take any singer and make him famous. People tell me "everybody can sing with your band'. Eddie, Alex and myself, we're the core of Van Halen. People say "anybody can sing with you".

Michel: Don't forget Michael Anthony

Mike: Well... yeah. On these songs Dave did with us, you hear a lot of the harmony that will remind you on the old Van Halen.

Michel: I guess you're the most underestimated singer in the rock world.

Mike: Well, thank you. People tell me when we go on tour I should sing some of the old stuff.

Michel: Yeah, why not?

Mike: I might. I don't know.

Michel: That's the funny part. I've always been waiting for a duet on an album. You and Sammy or somebody else. Maybe it's a new idea?

Mike: Until the new singer... maybe I'll do a little lead singing myself.

Michel: That would be great. I've heard you singing Rock And Roll.

Mike: Every now and then I sing a little bit. I never take any vocal training, so... I sing in the shower a lot. Michel: You must be very clean. Mike: Basically, what's going on right now, we're mixing the two songs this week. And we hope for a October release. We already have more than enough material for a new album. So all we have to do is find a singer. We'll be ready to start recording.

Michel: Erwin told me you will start recording anyway. With or without a singer.

Mike: Yeah, probably. The music is there. We will record it anyway. There're so many ideas. We just turn the tape on and we record.

Michel: Let's see what happens. I don't know how you feel about Sammy now, but will you still be playing the Cabo Wabo shows?

Mike: I haven't spoken to Sammy since June when he left. I probably give him a call soon. The last time that Eddie talked to Sammy, he said "Well Ed, I hope we still can be friends. If you ever change your phone number, I hope you'll give it to me." Then he immediately went to the press and started badmouthing Van Halen. So we were thinking "What kind of friend does that?" That kinda hurt, but I probably talk to Sammy pretty soon. So much went on when David Lee Roth left the band... that's why you haven't heard any interviews with Van Halen.

Michel: It's a strange situation. Because I'm the president of the Van Halen Fan club and people are asking me. I'm supposed to inform them but even I don't understand.

Mike: When the Best Of-album comes out, we will be doing some interviews. I personally don't want the same thing to happen like when Dave left the band. Because it's just one of those things that didn't work out. I wish Sammy the best. Van Halen will move forward... will go on.

Michel: I think it's a much nicer thought, by just going on and saying bad things.

Mike: That's why we couldn't understand why Sammy started saying all that stuff about us. When I'll do interviews I will tell them that I prefer not even to talk about it. Because it was so much that went on when Dave left the band. We don't feel like doing that again. We rather just say "Here it is, here's the new Van Halen." And just continue on. Hopefully it will be bigger and better.

Michel: I got a bad feeling about the old songs, like The Seventh Seal, Poundcake..Will we ever hear them again?

Mike: Oh yes, when we have a new singer, one thing I guarantee you is that we're going to do, next time we go on tour, besides the new songs, we will play songs from Sammy and we're going to play much more of the old Van Halen.

Michel: A song like Feeling. It's so personal.

Mike: It is.

Michel: I'm afraid it's gone.

Mike: Hopefully we'll find a new singer that can relate to the songs and put almost as much feeling in the singing like Sammy did. We're pretty confident about that because we're not just go out and find a singer real quick. We're going to take our time and make sure that it is the right person.

Michel: Does Sammy mind, other people singing his songs?

Mike: I'm sure he's going to mind. But I mean, they are Van Halen songs. That's one of the sad things. We'll play them as best as we can.

Michel: So then we'll get to bear some of the really old songs?

Mike: Oh yeah, I guarantee you Mike, that on our next tour we will be playing some of that stuff. We agreed that we should play more different old Van Halen songs. The new singer we get, we make sure that he sings the new and all the old.

Michel: So we get some positive things out of this sad situation.

Mike: Wait until these new songs with Dave come out. You have to call me as soon as you hear it because you're going to be surprised.

Michel: I'm sure. That's the point. I don't like the fact that you're working with Dave again but I know it will sound great.

Mike: The reason we did it anyway, was that it would really surprise our fans. Personally I have never patched up my old feelings towards Dave. In fact I told Eddie and Alex that I would not tour with him, again. But who knows. I'm not the kind of person... I'm not a hateful person. I like to think I'm a good person. Maybe even Dave deserves another chance. Glen Ballard did get him to sing very well on those two songs.

Michel: Did it take a lot of time?

Mike: Yes, it did. But if nothing ever comes up, if we never do the reunion tour or whatever, at least we have those two new songs. And I think people will really enjoy them. People that really like the old Van Halen.

Michel: Was the band pushed by the record company?

Mike: Yeah.

Michel: I guess they said it can bring in big money if Dave comes back.

Mike: Oh yes, all the promoters, everybody is offering us a lot of money. We could do what Kiss is doing. We don't wanna do that because we don't feel that our career is over, yet. We still have a long way to go. So we will do it very carefully. Like I said, if we did do a reunion tour it will probably be... maybe we do a summer tour, next year something. Then we let people know that it's just one tour, just for our fans. And then we'll be going on with a new singer.

Michel: There are already a lot of rumors about the tour.

Mike: Let me tell you, that those are just rumors. Right now, we have no plans to tour, yet. The only plans we have right now is that when this is finished with Dave doing these songs we start looking for a new singer.

Michel: O.k., that's about it, then.

Mike: I'll call you and let you know what we're doing, how's that?

Michel: That's great. Do you know a title for this column, because you appear in every issue lately.

Mike: O.k., I'll think of it.

Michel: I want to thank you very much for your time.

Mike: Sure, no problem. Tell everybody I said hello and not to worry because Van Halen will be better than ever. We always move forward, we never take any backward steps.

Matt White
02-04-2007, 09:33 AM
HA!!!

He slammed Spam when he got the chance.....

Ah well....maybe they'll call Mike Stone if Wolfie doesn't work out........:p

AndyChad
02-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
HA!!!

He slammed Spam when he got the chance.....

Ah well....maybe they'll call Mike Stone if Wolfie doesn't work out........:p

They're like fucking children, all of them..." i'm not your friend

anymore" etc etc.

Pathetic.

bru87tr
02-04-2007, 10:59 AM
wow, Mike says alot of not so flatering things about Dave.

he dug his own grave.

I dont get why Mike has Ill feelings toward Dave then. you would think it would be more Ed from all the tings Ed says. but Ed seems to be the one who has always wanted to work with Dave again and again. Dave I am sure has a big ego, I would too if I were him. :)

bye bye Mike. your wish came true!!!! moron!

jgdrag
02-04-2007, 11:15 AM
See ya bass player

kamaboko
02-04-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm sure this will go over like a led fart but.....

I think everyone here knows someone that can be out-of-control and fun as hell to be with for a day or two: full on party rage. But...to be with them 24/7 for weeks and months at a time would be pure fucking hell b/c they can either be extremely irritating or won't shut the fuck up. That's how I see DLR. Sure, he's great for two hours on stage, but to be with a guy that can't turn it off, would drive me out of my fucking mind. Given that, I can see why Mike wouldn't want to tour w/DLR. DLR doesn't strike me as a guy that knows when to turn it off.

Think of a bitchy woman and you'll get my point. "Shut the hell up for just 10 minutes!" lol.

Romeo Delight
02-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Sounds to me that Mike's opinion sways with the wind.

Get some backbone man...

PlexiBrown
02-04-2007, 12:20 PM
According to that article Mike has a real problem with Dave screwing up numerous CVH reunion attempts and during times when the fans really wanted the reunion to happen. It must have been bad if the whipping boy couldn't handle it.

Romeo Delight
02-04-2007, 12:47 PM
No...Dave's "screwing up" was that he had a vision for Van Halen and wanted his voice heard.

Isn't that conflict the very thing that made Van Halen great?

Mike was merely speaking for the brothers and cannot speak for himself.

jgdrag
02-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by DavidFlamma
No...Dave's "screwing up" was that he had a vision for Van Halen and wanted his voice heard.

Isn't that conflict the very thing that made Van Halen great?

Mike was merely speaking for the brothers and cannot speak for himself.

WRONG

1996 Interview bass player
Mike: Oh no... I told them I didn't want to work with Dave and I wouldn't wanna tour with him

PlexiBrown
02-04-2007, 12:58 PM
According to that article Mike has a real problem with Dave screwing up numerous CVH reunion attempts and during times when the fans really wanted the reunion to happen. It must have been bad if the whipping boy couldn't handle it.

Referring to the Burn magazine article from a year ago.

Romeo Delight
02-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by jgdrag
WRONG

1996 Interview bass player
Mike: Oh no... I told them I didn't want to work with Dave and I wouldn't wanna tour with him

On a related note...Mike likes cream in his coffee while the brothers do not.

Seriously...his body of work speaks for itself. He has the same strength of spine as a $4.00 Sears tent.

Vinnie Velvet
02-04-2007, 01:53 PM
On a related note...Mike likes cream in his coffee while the brothers do not.

Seriously...his body of work speaks for itself. He has the same strength of spine as a $4.00 Sears tent.

LMAO!!!

moose
02-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Let Michael eat crow!!!
Fuckin two faced prick!

Mezro
02-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by jgdrag
We had a meeting with Dave. It's funny because he was very humble. He hasn't got a record contract now. He admitted that he has made big mistakes and that he did the wrong thing. He admitted that he has a very big ego. Hopefully he's better now. But he realized that after leaving Van Halen he couldn't do anything else. That it always got compared to Van Halen.

This is all you'll ever need to know about Dave and the free fall that his career has become over the years. He does it to himself at every turn.

Mezro...sad that it took him 22 years to figure it all out...

diamondsgirl
02-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Sounds to me that Mike's opinion sways with the wind.

Get some backbone man...

Exactly. I don't think he's capable of original thought. His quotes here sound like EVH and AVH and his quotes recently are Hagar's words verbatim.

01-27-2009, 03:01 PM
HA HA, Michael Two Faced Anthony has got what he deserved.

That fat, dirty, retarded, hillbillie, mullet sporting, messy pig, is going to finish his career, pllaying small clubs, with Hagar The Horrible!

LOL

Terry
01-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Funny how Mike claims he didn't want to tour with Roth in 1996 / 1997, yet in 2002 he was lurking around backstage at the Sam and Dave gigs, undoubtedly waiting for Roth to invite him onstage...always get a chuckle because Roth rarely refers to Anthony at all and when he does it's usually using the term "the bass player."

01-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Thats the reason I was dissapointed, that so many people on this forum, said they would not attend the new Van Halen shows, without Fat Fucking Mullet playing bass!
He is a two faced pig, who in 1996, claims he was the last to agree to the recording of two new tracks with Dave, and then in a 2006 interview,(Burn magazine) claims Dave`s ego destroyed another 3 reunion attempts, between, 2000/2002!

Terry
01-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Thats the reason I was dissapointed, that so many people on this forum, said they would not attend the new Van Halen shows, without Fat Fucking Mullet playing bass!
He is a two faced pig, who in 1996, claims he was the last to agree to the recording of two new tracks with Dave, and then in a 2006 interview,(Burn magazine) claims Dave`s ego destroyed another 3 reunion attempts, between, 2000/2002!

Yes, well, in many ways those who said they wouldn't be attending any show played by a band named "Van Halen" unless Eddie, Dave, Mike and Alex were onstage have the purist motivations out of anyone.

I mean, all four of them are assholes in their own ways, but the net result transcends all of the other bullshit.

binnie
01-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Who knows what to believe?

It's always been clear that Mike got along with Sam better than Dave though.....

chefcraig
01-28-2009, 04:22 PM
You truly have to love the idea of using what is now a thirteen year old interview to make points relevant to today. As if statements made or actions taken since then are somehow to be used as a form of defining behavior. How many people around here haven't held a belief and said or done something more than a decade ago that no longer qualifies with whom they are currently? And let's face it, this applies to rock musicians in particular, the type of folks that shied away from any sort of ongoing education sometime in their teens. To believe that they are clear-thinking Mensa candidates and that their words or deeds are seemingly beyond human frailty is simple absurd.

78/84 guy
01-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Poor bass player !! He was probably the only normal person in VH !!

katie
01-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Poor bass player !! He was probably the only normal person in VH !!

Fuck him, he knew the risks!

:gulp:

Nickdfresh
01-28-2009, 08:16 PM

Great! How many times did you see them? with Ed's kid and backing tracks in tow...

Seshmeister
01-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Damn I knew this interview existed but I couldn't find it when this site was down and I(and a bunch of other people) were in a 10 week argument with a Mike obsessive at another forum.

FORD
01-28-2009, 08:34 PM
You know for all of Sobolewski's talking shit about touring with Dave, they always looked like they got along well on stage. At least to me.......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WUl7gkWZJGI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WUl7gkWZJGI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Seshmeister
01-28-2009, 08:48 PM
I have it first hand that he definitely asked Roth repeatedly to go onstage and jam with him during the Roth/Hagar tour.

Nickdfresh
01-28-2009, 08:52 PM
People, like "113," make way too fucking much of this interview. What Mike said was far milder than some of the things that both spEd and Al said about Dave in 1996. Also, it's pretty clear that both of the aforementioned gave fuckall of what Mike thought about anything when they shot down a reunion and hired Gary...

I'm supposed to hate Mike over this interview? Spare me --you fucking dunderheads!

Nickdfresh
01-28-2009, 08:53 PM
I have it first hand that he definitely asked Roth repeatedly to go onstage and jam with him during the Roth/Hagar tour.

I've heard he and Dave were backstage drinking and reminiscing on more than one occasion during that tour...

David Lee Rocks
01-28-2009, 09:14 PM
I like how Mike makes it sound like he had a say so in all this, we this, and we thought that, I told Eddie i didnt want Dave, blah blah, I like Mike and all, but he seems like a big kiss ass to me, i dont know

78/84 guy
01-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Yah I love the we stuff also. I'm not buying it. sorry Mike, If the NEW VH can put out a good disc I won't miss him too much. I still would've liked to have seen him on the tour last year, that would have been cool to see the 4 originals on stage. Wolf plays bass to much like guitar for me. There is no bottom end. Maybe he can cover his dad's sloppy playing on a cd !!

DavidLeeNatra
01-29-2009, 04:50 AM
I know why I called him TAFKAB (the asshole formely known as bassplayer)...

davehagarfan
01-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Yah I love the we stuff also. I'm not buying it. sorry Mike, If the NEW VH can put out a good disc I won't miss him too much. I still would've liked to have seen him on the tour last year, that would have been cool to see the 4 originals on stage. Wolf plays bass to much like guitar for me. There is no bottom end. Maybe he can cover his dad's sloppy playing on a cd !!

LMMFAO....good luck with that one 74/84. Doesn't Edwad have "10 albums in the can" or some shit? It's all nostalgia at this point brother.

The only way this will ever work is if Dave cuntinues to tuck his balls up inside his legs and treat Edtard with the kid gloves like he's been doing the whole time. All of you giving Bass Player so much shit for being Spambo's bitch forgot to mention that Diamond Dave has been Ed & Al's bitch these past 2 years.

Then again what's the point of all this anyway since Ed's been ability has been at a 3 year old with two broken fingers level the last 8 years.

78/84 guy
01-29-2009, 11:01 PM
I agree with you to a point, but a good disc will change some people's mind's I think about the NEW version of the band. I like Dave on his own. His last band was great and it didn't cost 150 bucks to see him !! Ed was better at the end of the tour so if he can stay healthy and practice the old song's a little more you never know !! I just saw AC/DC and they blew VH away if you ask me. So they have work to do !!

jgdrag
01-29-2009, 11:32 PM
I agree with you to a point, but a good disc will change some people's mind's I think about the NEW version of the band. I like Dave on his own. His last band was great and it didn't cost 150 bucks to see him !! Ed was better at the end of the tour so if he can stay healthy and practice the old song's a little more you never know !! I just saw AC/DC and they blew VH away if you ask me. So they have work to do !!

It still won't be Van Halen

78/84 guy
01-30-2009, 11:44 AM
But you will listen to it if it is good and sounds like VH right ? Does that mean they should change the name ? The Stones are still the Stones with all their lineup change's over the years. But it is still Mick & Keith.

davehagarfan
01-30-2009, 12:56 PM
But you will listen to it if it is good and sounds like VH right ? Does that mean they should change the name ? The Stones are still the Stones with all their lineup change's over the years. But it is still Mick & Keith.

Dude did you really just make that arguement after all these years of bitching that it's not the real Van Halen? Atleast I can admit it wasn't the same without all the original guys there no matter how much I may have liked some of the music.

Mick & Keith aren't "The Stones" either. They're a big part of it sure but they're not the whole package. Some guys quit listening after Mick Taylor and I'm sure there are a number of disgruntled fans out there who don't listen to anything after Brian Jones era. Ronnie's earned his stripes and has made his way up the ranks. Plus he played with Jeff Beck and played in The Faces...alot like how Spambo played in Monstrose.....so Ronnie's had some cred and he's just a cool motherfucker but I think the Stones would suck without Charlie Watts. Thankfully they feel the exact same way. That's probably why they are just about the biggest rock band history and VH is an overblown oldies act now....doesn't matter with which singer.

78/84 guy
01-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Why is Van Halen a oldies act without Mike and the Stones are still the Stones because they still have Charlie Watts ? The bottom line is if a band is around long enough members come and go. Or die !! Is AC/DC not AC/DC after 29 years without Bon Scott ?? The bottom line is when one of your favorite bands changes members you don't like it !! Hell I don't either but if it's good than i'll listen. Will it be the original ? No, but it's still VH if Ed & Dave are there to me. The stuff Ed did with Sam I never thought of as Van Halen but I still liked some of it. But the voice of Van Halen was Roth and is again. The stuff Hagar did was Hagar with a really good band to me !! Your'e the one that said it's all nastalgia at this point not me !! If it's good and sounds like Van Halen i'll listen. Dave said it's the new VH. I'f Ed want's his kid in the band fine. It just better be good or it might be over for them !!

jgdrag
01-30-2009, 04:18 PM
But you will listen to it if it is good and sounds like VH right ?

Van Halen died in 1985. I have seen the real Halen. This past tour was not Van Halen,
3/4 original and 1/4 inevitable. ( DLR)

No new material equals nastalgia

78/84 guy
01-31-2009, 12:45 PM
But you went to the show right ? Would it be the 1980's Van Halen If Mike was there ? The band we all listened to in the 80's is gone forever no doubt about it, but it doesn't mean I won't listen to something new if it's good !! Was Roth going to jump from the drum riser if Mike was there ? Was Ed going to play the original frankinstein or 5150 Kramer or play through a Marshall if Mike was there ? These guy's are getting old, the band from the 1980's wasn't going to just jump on stage like it was the next tour in 1985 wearing fucked up cloth's and long hair !! What were you expecting ? Mike will always be the original bass player in VH but Ed want's his kid in the band so that's it for him I guess !! You will run out and buy something new by them just like everone else here the day it come's out !! I went and seen them when they were here, It looked & sounded like VH to me !! But we but got lucky here, Ed was really good that night. I missed Mike but not that much. I have seen better show's but not to many.

jgdrag
01-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Went to 3 shows, if the first was shit, I wouldn't buy anymore tickets let alone pit seats
Yes, it would have been VH if bassplayer was there
No, I will not run out and buy anything they offer,

78/84 guy
01-31-2009, 01:41 PM
Some people make no sense around here !! Who the fuck did you see 3 time's ?

jgdrag
02-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Van Halen Mach 4

Foozwah
02-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Van Halen Mach 4
Now that's one fast-moving band...

chefcraig
02-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Now that's one fast-moving band...

Wait until you see VH Mach 5.

Left to right: Ed, Wolfie and Al, Janie and Dave

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9278/gospeedracergovm1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

binnie
02-10-2009, 04:49 AM
Wait until you see VH Mach 5.

Left to right: Ed, Wolfie and Al, Janie and Dave

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9278/gospeedracergovm1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Don't tempt fate..........

Nickdfresh
02-10-2009, 07:33 AM
But you went to the show right ? Would it be the 1980's Van Halen If Mike was there ? The band we all listened to in the 80's is gone forever no doubt about it....

Yeah, now they use lots of backing tracks, which is the most un-Van Halen 1980s spirit I can think of...

binnie
02-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Yes, the band of 78-84 is gone. Everyone gets older.

But they COULD have maintained the same spirit of that band: your face will inevitably change, but it will always express your character.

Thing is, CVH of 2007-09 doesn't have the same spirit because one guy is missing. Sad but True.

ZahZoo
02-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Damn I knew this interview existed but I couldn't find it when this site was down and I(and a bunch of other people) were in a 10 week argument with a Mike obsessive at another forum.

He's set up camp over at links... it's never too late to win the debate!!

Vinnie Velvet
02-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Thing is, CVH of 2007-09 doesn't have the same spirit because one guy is missing. Sad but True.

I understand your thinking on that one but I don't think Mike was or is as intregal of a component to the "spirit" of CVH as many claim.

Mike earned his place in the original band and was a part of the original chemistry. But I still hold the opinion that Dave was so much bigger a component to the band that it completely overshadowed whatever presence Mike had.

I remember going to see Dave's 'Eat Em and Smile' show back in 1986 and thinking how his show was more "Van Halen-like" than what Van Hagar was doing at the time. I also remember hearing comments from fans at the show saying that "fuck, THAT was like an old Van Halen concert!"
Why?? Well, because of DAVID LEE ROTH. All this despite it not sounding quite like CVH (due to Steve Vai).

I think the 'spirit' of CVH that fans want wouldn't re-surface even if Mike came back because its Eddie who has changed the band.

On the last tour, despite having some great gigs, there was no publicity, etc. Maybe that was to make sure the band gets through the whole tour without killing each other. But back in the day when a VH tour rolled through town, Dave was all over the radio and TV. Dave, Dave, Dave, Dave. On the 2007-08tour -- nothing.

So, its not a question of whether Mike being there or not -- Dave's volume just wasn't turned up to ear-splitting levels so as to avoid another breakup with Ed and Al....unfortunately.

02-11-2009, 01:30 PM
I had no problem with that Fat Mullet, until 1996, when he began to show his true colours. That two-faced pig dug his own grave. Ed and Al fired Hagar, after a furious bust up, and FAT Hill Billie continued to socialise with Hagar. Ed/Al were so disgusted that they began to audition other bass players, while they were also recording the 2 new tracks, for BO, with Dave.
Fat Anthony boasts to the press about, not wanting to do the two new tracks with Dave. Mullet said, "I was the last to agree to Dave`s return". Fat Bastard then slags Dave`s vocal ability off, in a few tv interviews!

02-11-2009, 01:49 PM
For some reason, Fat Anthony is not replaced, and is still an official member of Van Halen in 1998. However, he is only allowed to play on 3 tracks of the V3 album. He is still good friends with Hagar!
Fat Mullet is invoved with the 3 reunion album attempts with Roth between 2000/2001!
Anthony causes shit between the brothers and Dave!

02-11-2009, 01:54 PM
2004 - Van Halen reunite with Hagar for a world tour, Hagar is on board as a hired hand.
Ed and Al, don`t want Two Faced Mullet involved, however, Hagar insists on his gay lover, being on bass, or the reunion tour, would not go ahead!

02-11-2009, 01:59 PM
During the 2004 tour, there is so trouble aboard the planes, (between members) travelling, that ED and Al had to start travelling on one plane, while Hagar and mullet would have to fly on a seperate plane!
LOL.

02-11-2009, 02:10 PM
The final straw for the Fat Pig, came in 2005, when Ed and Al were furious with Hagar and Mullet, for forming a band, which they dubbed, the Other Half (refering to the other half of Van Halen). They tour America, covering both Van Halen eras, with their set lists.
Ed and Al were already annoyed with the pair for their antics on the last Van Halen tour.
On that tour they used gigs to promote Hagar`s Tequila, and Mullet`s hot saurce!

02-11-2009, 02:14 PM
The final straw came in late 2005, when the brothers mother died, and Hagar and Fat Retarded Chimp, did not turn up to the funeral. Ed and Al thought that they did this to get at them. Ed/ Al officially fired Mullet a month later!

02-11-2009, 02:22 PM
ED shocked and outraged Van Halen fans in 2006, in a Howard Stern interview, when he exposed Fat Pig, as a Two Faced Bastard. He said, "Mr S can do what he likes now".

He also mocked the dirty pigs, Two-Faced persona,when he said, with a grin on his face, You can`t be in two bands"

LOL LOL

78/84 guy
02-11-2009, 08:53 PM
See ya Mike !!!

02-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Goodbye Fat Mulllet Anthony!

scottydabodi
02-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Here's a Newsflash for everyone: Mikey is a retard.

He was the only replaceable guy in the original VH, and the luckiest piece of shit on the planet to hold a gig like that down. His opinion is nothing when all he did was show up and thump E. He doesn't want to tour with DLR? The biggest tour of their careers? Fuck him then. Let him and Chickenfoot change the face of music, and be one of the biggest tours of the year...

scottydabodi
02-22-2009, 05:54 PM
2004 - Van Halen reunite with Hagar for a world tour, Hagar is on board as a hired hand.
Ed and Al, don`t want Two Faced Mullet involved, however, Hagar insists on his gay lover, being on bass, or the reunion tour, would not go ahead!

I wouldn't make it seem like Fat Sam and Fat Mike were the troublemakers on that tour... we all lest not forget how fucked up Ed was, and how ridiculously retarded both of the sisters are.

Antman
02-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Like they say, you can't have your cake and eat it too. I would pick VH without Mike than VH without Dave any day of the week. Was it VH of the 80s? No and it never will be-even with Mike. But I'll tell you this much, 3/4 VH is still better than any band out there today.