PDA

View Full Version : DLR as front man did not make VH great

General Hina
04-26-2004, 01:08 AM
I'm soooooo tired of hearing everyone on the boards say that DLR being a great frontman is what made VH great. Here's the reason that's false. Before any of us ever saw VH live we heard the MUSIC first!! When I first heard RWTD I was totally blown away. Then I bought the album and couldn't believe how great this band was. Remember this was before MTV so none of us knew about VH live it was the music the captured us first. DLR's frontman antics was a bonus but the music was always first. I didn't see VH live until 1981 so up until then I was a fan of the band's first 4 albums without ever seeing the band live. That's all.

Over and Out,
General Hina

TMR
04-26-2004, 01:14 AM
General Cunt is a dumb fuck!

Panamark
04-26-2004, 01:17 AM
Dude, you just totally endorsed Dave.

You are essentially saying that everyone who says Dave was just a showman, was fucking wrong !! You are correct, we all heard the music
first, and thought how fucking great Dave was !!

thefive
04-26-2004, 01:33 AM
Van Hagar sucks donkey dicks.

thefive
FUCK VAN HAGAR.
I HATE VAN HAGAR

thefive
PUSSY ASS MUSIC

DavidLeeNatra
04-26-2004, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by TMR
General Cunt is a dumb fuck!

can't say it better...

thefive
04-26-2004, 03:02 AM
Van Hagar sucks Elephant dicks

General Hina
04-26-2004, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Dude, you just totally endorsed Dave.

You are essentially saying that everyone who says Dave was just a showman, was fucking wrong !! You are correct, we all heard the music
first, and thought how fucking great Dave was !!

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Obviously TMR missed that point.

Over and Out,
General Hina

thefive
04-26-2004, 03:08 AM
But Van Hagar sucks Elephant Dicks and Donkey Dicks. Remember this.

DavidLeeNatra
04-26-2004, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by General Hina
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Obviously TMR missed that point.

Over and Out,
General Hina

it#s the singer not the song...

GAR
04-26-2004, 03:13 AM
So Genny's saying that the music didn't need a frontman to become great?

DavidLeeNatra
04-26-2004, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by GAR
So Genny's saying that the music didn't need a frontman to become great?

yes, that's why bands like queen and the stones got famous, too...

Golden AWe
04-26-2004, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
yes, that's why bands like queen and the stones got famous, too...

and The Doors, the second best American rock band of all time, didn't need Jim Morrison to get famous...
:rolleyes:

ZahZoo
04-26-2004, 09:07 AM
It wasn't just Dave = Great Frontman that made the VH package great... it was a combination of all the parts... Ed, Al, Mike & Dave that made it all great... plus the times, the music scene and the decadance of the late 70's early 80's.

The greatest thing that developed all this was 74-78 and the day-in day-out working the LA club scene and competative drive that took them from a backyard party band to a top billed act. Very very competative music scene back then and VH had to fight to be the best of the best. Once there they proved their weight in gold... just too bad they all got too big for their britches and blew out the seems in 84/85...

pardo
04-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Who here ever argued that the music wasn't absolutely dominant? What made Dave such a GREAT front man was his confidence. And what gave Dave that confidence - the fact that the music they were playing and singing was incredible.

Like Dave said - they were just trying to look like the music sounded!

cwsmith17
04-26-2004, 09:51 AM
I'm soooooo tired of hearing everyone on the boards say that DLR being a great frontman is what made VH great. Here's the reason that's false. Before any of us ever saw VH live we heard the MUSIC first!! When I first heard RWTD I was totally blown away. Then I bought the album and couldn't believe how great this band was. Remember this was before MTV so none of us knew about VH live it was the music the captured us first. DLR's frontman antics was a bonus but the music was always first. I didn't see VH live until 1981 so up until then I was a fan of the band's first 4 albums without ever seeing the band live. That's all.

Over and Out,
General Hina

No one hear denies the fact that the music was amazing. However, how can you claim that David Lee Roth's voice didn't come right out and blow you away. He screamed, he yelled, he had amazing lyrics, he was original. No one here denies the guitar playing, it was amazing, but Dave gave the music an attitude.

tjvhou812
04-26-2004, 10:33 AM
what if vh didnt have eddie in the band back in 78 , do you think they still would have gottin signed

pardo
04-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Fuckin hell!

Van Halen without Edward wouldn't be Van Halen. Just like Van Halen without Dave isn't Van Halen.

Golden AWe
04-26-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by tjvhou812
what if vh didnt have eddie in the band back in 78 , do you think they still would have gottin signed

Nobody here says Eddie wasn't a major factor for the success of the original Van Halen.

But never deny the impact of DLR in the original Van Halen...they'd still be Rat Salad or Eddie would be a drunken guitar teacher in Southern California. Dave - he'd be on TV anyway! If nothing else he'd be the best host Wheel Of Fortune has ever had...

tjvhou812
04-26-2004, 10:48 AM
thats what im saying, it just wasnt dave or ed, it was the music they put on the table that made everybody hungry

General Hina
04-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by cwsmith17
No one hear denies the fact that the music was amazing. However, how can you claim that David Lee Roth's voice didn't come right out and blow you away.

I didn't claim this??? His voice is part of the music. Vocals are an intrument too!! My post simply says that before any of us ever saw VH we heard them first, so frontman antics were a bonus that came into play much later.

Over and Out,
General Hina

bru87tr
04-26-2004, 10:51 AM
the music and the lyrics have to fit. one cannot function without the other.

tell you what. you write some lyrics to all the VH music and lets see how good it stacks up to DLR lyrics. yet lets put some of spammys lyrics to some old VH and see how it works.

you dumb cunt!

General Hina
04-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by bru87tr
the music and the lyrics have to fit. one cannot function without the other.

tell you what. you write some lyrics to all the VH music and lets see how good it stacks up to DLR lyrics. yet lets put some of spammys lyrics to some old VH and see how it works.

you dumb cunt!

Your reading comprehension is beyond repair. Did you actually read my post or did you just read the heading and assume it was an attack on Dave. please read what I'm saying before you go on attack mode. If you do attack though how about something a little more original so it's not as easy to mop the floor with you.

Over and Out,
General Hina

moose
04-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by pardo
Fuckin hell!

Van Halen without Edward wouldn't be Van Halen. Just like Van Halen without Dave isn't Van Halen.

How much more true can a statement be, 17 simple words sums it all up!!!!!!!!!!

General Hina
04-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by moose
How much more true can a statement be, 17 simple words sums it all up!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree.

Over and Out,
General Hina

bru87tr
04-26-2004, 11:37 AM
no I will stick with my statement. the music needed work before it became what it is. it went throguh many evolutions.

DLR is why VH is great not the music alone. if it were not true as you are saying then sammy would have been just as big. DLR is the reason they were huge!!!! nuff said.

im ready to be moped up.

Big Troubles
04-26-2004, 11:58 AM
This thread is bullshit. Who ever thinks Dave didn't contribute the most out of the original 4 to making Van Halen great in any standard, was a crack baby. I refused to believe Al, Mike or Ed was the driving force. That's rediculous.

Golden AWe
04-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
I refused to believe Al, Mike or Ed was the driving force.

Driving force is a perfect word to describe it.

I know Eddie would be a great guitar player anyway but which clubs would he have played if Dave (and his PA system) hadn't gotten them there...

In Roth's own words, "you gotta get out there and THEN you get lucky"

pardo
04-26-2004, 12:13 PM
This thread is bullshit. Who ever thinks Dave didn't contribute the most out of the original 4 to making Van Halen great in any standard, was a crack baby. I refused to believe Al, Mike or Ed was the driving force. That's rediculous.

BT, I have the a lot of respect for ya. Thats why I find this post disappointing.

Instead of touting Edwards contributions (like I've done in countless other threads), consider this. How good do you think Dave would have been with Carlos Cavazo (sp?) as his guitarist / writing partner?

I'm not discounting Daves contributions at all. But the magic of Van Halen was a result of the chemestry between Dave and Ed.

General Hina
04-26-2004, 01:49 PM

You do not understand this post!
I'm saying that before any of us saw VH we heard them first!!
The music: Vocals, drums, bass, guitar is what first captured our attention.
DLR's frontman style came into play later when we saw them live.
His frontman antics were an added bonus to what we already knew to be great.
First we heard, then we saw that's why the music came first.
Does that make sense to anyone?

Over and Out,
General Hina

az1533
04-26-2004, 02:18 PM
The Edmonton Oilers were a great hockey team in the 80's even with out Greatzky. With Wayne thery were one of the best in history! The perfect fit for the great cast. Just like Dave, the other "great one"

Good Old #1

Big Troubles
04-26-2004, 02:18 PM
BT, I have the a lot of respect for ya. Thats why I find this post disappointing.

Instead of touting Edwards contributions (like I've done in countless other threads), consider this. How good do you think Dave would have been with Carlos Cavazo (sp?) as his guitarist / writing partner?

I'm not discounting Daves contributions at all. But the magic of Van Halen was a result of the chemestry between Dave and Ed.

I dont know man. I realise that Dave and Ed had good chemistry when they were "on tv or videos", but if read any Dave interview, they were miles apart from each other. They didn't consider themselves brothers, just friends.

I think Dave would've done just as good, as he's doing now. I know, I know, Dave is not doing as good as the old days. But then again, neither is VH. I still stand firm in believing that Dave was the driving force. Not 100% by any means. But he was the one to go, "hey, we got to start playing music that people can boogie down to, we need to get out of the clubs and into the faces" Im not saying Mike, Al and Ed weren't great. Of course they were. But take away Mike or Al, they would've still done just as good. So it comes down to Ed and Dave. And I think Dave was the one to push Ed through the door and get him "out there". That's the driving force.

Big Troubles
04-26-2004, 02:23 PM
You do not understand this post!
I'm saying that before any of us saw VH we heard them first!!
The music: Vocals, drums, bass, guitar is what first captured our attention.
DLR's frontman style came into play later when we saw them live.
His frontman antics were an added bonus to what we already knew to be great.
First we heard, then we saw that's why the music came first.
Does that make sense to anyone?

Over and Out,
General Hina

Maybe for you and countless others, sure. But for me in particular, it was a summer afternoon in 1979. I was listening to VH1, that my older sister let me "have". (I had stolen actually) I remember listening to Jamie Cryin' and looking at the cover. Then flipping it over to see Roth arched over, with those leather pants and huge belt, thinking that this guy is the BOMB. Literally. No BS here. When I heard VH for the first time, I looked at the album and seen Roth as the leader of the group. I was 8 years old. From that day on, I was addicted to classic VH, and a Roth driven rock n roll group. Knowing full well, that if Roth weren't singing these tunes, they wouldn't be as great. That to me says, Roth IS VH. Am I wrong?

fanofdave
04-26-2004, 02:33 PM
hey general hina:

you were right: the vocals were part of what we
heard first from VH. david lee roth was the vocals
we heard first. so you are hereby corrected and
it now is proven that david lee roth IS/WAS van halen.

its only roth and roll, but i like it.....

thefive
04-26-2004, 03:17 PM
I just want Dave to make albums.

Golden AWe
04-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by az1533
The Edmonton Oilers were a great hockey team in the 80's even with out Greatzky. With Wayne thery were one of the best in history! The perfect fit for the great cast. Just like Dave, the other "great one"

Good Old #1

That's a great reference...

pardo
04-26-2004, 03:55 PM
BT, I hear what you're sayin. I may not 100% agree, but I hear ya.

Edward was extremely dedicated in his craft. From customizing his gear to learnin to play like a motherfucker to writing some of the best tunes ever. Dave's contribution in this area was huge too.

Lets face it, Edward is an introvert. Dave is an extrovert. Dave's a master of self promotion, so he could take credit for 100% of stuff and nobody'd know...

Blah biddy blah blah blah. This conversation is an example of why Van Halen was so fucking great! Were the pyramids made by aliens, or by Egyptians?

All I know is when Van Halen is playing its all I can do to stay sober!

Big Troubles
04-26-2004, 04:36 PM
BT, I hear what you're sayin. I may not 100% agree, but I hear ya.

Edward was extremely dedicated in his craft. From customizing his gear to learnin to play like a motherfucker to writing some of the best tunes ever. Dave's contribution in this area was huge too.

Lets face it, Edward is an introvert. Dave is an extrovert. Dave's a master of self promotion, so he could take credit for 100% of stuff and nobody'd know...

Blah biddy blah blah blah. This conversation is an example of why Van Halen was so fucking great! Were the pyramids made by aliens, or by Egyptians?

All I know is when Van Halen is playing its all I can do to stay sober!

One thing is for sure, today they are both totally different people with different agendas with different driving forces behind them now. Putting them back together has proven to be a mistake. Possibly due to alcohol or drugs or maybe just good old fashioned ego getting in the way from making some of the greates music we've all listened to and enjoy 30 years later. You made some strong arguemnets and now Im tending to lean in your direction a bit. Ed in his prime was not just a great guitar player. He was an innovator and awesome music writer. Things came very natural to this guy, but for some reason some passion has left him. Any album after 5150 was by god aweful. Not just because of Sammy. The music was really some of the worst to come from a Van Halen. Ed or Al.

But one thing we can absolutely agree on, is this and all debates on the Army regarding Dave and or Ed Van Halen, is that this is what makes them so great.

Cheers! :D

Terry
04-26-2004, 05:09 PM
Dave and Eddie were the driving forces of Van Halen.

Alex and Mike Anthony had their roles, but neither was exactly what you would call an outstanding or distictive musician in their own right(Just because Alex eventually ended up having 4 bass drums on his kit doesn't mean he's in the same league as Peart, Bonham or Moon). Not to say that Van Halen got big in spite of them at all.

Put it this way; Ed comes across like an asshole in print, but I'll never deny that he was part of the Roth/EVH combo that was the creative backbone of classic Van Halen.

Find it hard pressed for even the most avid Eddie grunt to sell short Dave's contributions to the band.

pete
04-26-2004, 08:23 PM

Over and Out,
General Hina

He also wrote and sang the words. The themes he came up with created very interesting music.

Don't forget, in the early days these songs came out of jams. As the themes came together it inspired attitude and dynamic in the playing. Arrangements were born once the songs were written.

Stale themes create stale music.

Why the fuck do you think they hire songwriters and current producers now to attempt freshness.

Because they know it.

pete
04-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Who here ever argued that the music wasn't absolutely dominant? What made Dave such a GREAT front man was his confidence. And what gave Dave that confidence - the fact that the music they were playing and singing was incredible.

Like Dave said - they were just trying to look like the music sounded!

excellent observation

tobinentinc
05-06-2004, 11:03 PM
I totally agree.

Over and Out,
General Hina

I totally agree with both of you.

POJO_Risin
05-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
and The Doors, the second best American rock band of all time, didn't need Jim Morrison to get famous...
:rolleyes:

Sing it brother...sing it...

pete
05-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by cwsmith17
No one hear denies the fact that the music was amazing. However, how can you claim that David Lee Roth's voice didn't come right out and blow you away. He screamed, he yelled, he had amazing lyrics, he was original. No one here denies the guitar playing, it was amazing, but Dave gave the music an attitude.

yep!!!

blame production and 200 takes if you want. but Dave was just as compelling vocally.

THEY HAD IT ALL!!!!

POJO_Risin
05-06-2004, 11:26 PM
Three parts...

1. The singer

2. The guitarist

3. The rhythm section

I will agree with you...the general masses heard VH first...liked the package...90% of the people thought that Roth was David Van Halen...oops...thought he was the band...go figure...

Now I only saw them once...and unlike some here who were my age that saw them...I don't remember much about the show...I recall Dave leaping around like a maniac...swearing a lot...and just being cool...I remember being awed by Eddie...and I remember a ton of fucking people going absolutely apeshit...

So I can agree with you to an extent.

So I guess my question is...what in the hell is your point? That because we heard Dave and Ed first...that Dave's stature as the best frontman for this band is diminished?

Did we hear VH in 1978 and say, "You know, it's all about the guitar..."

No and NO...

Did nobody pick up a Circus magazine and check out the whole crew? And who did the talking for that band during that time? must have been Michael...

So, what in the hell is your point again?

Oh yeah...because we didn't see Dave early on...you're right...IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC...created by DAVE and Ed and Michael Alexy...

Steve Savicki
05-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Before any of us ever saw VH live we heard the MUSIC first!!

Irrelavent topic since we can't change the past, but I (think) I can relate to what you're saying. Imagine if Dave wasn't in the picture at all... if he NEVER met the brothers and Michael.

Imagine that Sammy was the frontman in '78 and then Dave in '85-'86.
Or rather, if any other singer from Pasadena, California auditioned in the 70's and got the job.
Or Gene Simmons found some other frontman or another way to bind the band together.

Would you still buy a VH record if the singer wasn't Dave from the beginning?
Ed had his musical style, he could've written all these songs (Hina's meaning of having the music first) and then found another singer to do RWTD.

Late, gotta get to bed, not thinkin' straight... lower my user rating if you want to, but to my knowledge, this is what Hina is saying.

Again, irrelevant because the past is the past... but an anology is like

Would you buy Led Zeppelin if Jimmy Page found someone else instead of Robert Plant?

Would you buy AC/DC if Brian Johnson came before Bon Scott?

cwsmith17
05-06-2004, 11:35 PM
Fuckin hell!

I absolutely agree!

VH LINKS SUCKS
05-06-2004, 11:37 PM

Over and Out,
General Hina

You clueless Van Hagar imbecile! Yes that's exactly what a useless person would say that doesn't know shit about the incarnation of one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time! It was the music not the singer, RIGHT!:rolleyes:
Ever heard the phrase " It's the singer not the song" ? Didn't think so.;)

Steve Savicki
05-06-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
That because we heard Dave and Ed first...that Dave's stature as the best frontman for this band is diminished?
POJ, we were posting at the same time, but yes, I believe that is what Hina's getting at.

hotdog@ a shake
05-06-2004, 11:54 PM
another thing, back in da day, didn't VH do several promo videos for 6 tunez up until '81?

now, I understand what hina wants 2 say, but it really doesn't matter! amy kid that bought thoze Lp's (LOL) can remember lookin' at Roth and not only be mesmerized, but figure out what this guy wuz all about!

let's put it this way: you put on the tunez, then u listen. as u listen, u stare at the artwork and photos that came with thoze classic albums, then it all makes perfect sense, u dig?

I mean, c'mon...look at that pic of ROTH on the back cover to VHII, fuckin' unbelievable! I can remember all my friendz talkin' about how fuckin' kool this guy with the 3 names looked...BAD MUTHAFUCKA!!!

look at Dave's expressions on the photos they used on "Women and Children First"... jus reaks of ATTITUDE

NathanRay
05-06-2004, 11:59 PM
No! This is what makes van halen Great Sammy look at him now he's the coolest.

NathanRay
05-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Check out that Attitude You Brutes!!!!!

hotdog@ a shake
05-07-2004, 12:07 AM
another thing, back in da day, didn't VH do several promo videos for 6 tunez up until '81? it wuz only '79 when they started showing "Dance The Night Away" and "Bottoms Up" on TV, so how could anyone jus gettin' into VH, or not, have a sense on what this band was all about?

now, I understand what hina wants 2 say, but it really doesn't matter! amy kid that bought thoze Lp's (LOL) can remember lookin' at Roth and jus being floored...it's not rocket science, or iz it?

let's put it this way: you put on the tunez, then u listen. as u listen, u stare at the artwork and photos that came with thoze classic albums, then it all makes perfect sense, u dig?

I mean, c'mon...look at that pic of ROTH on the back cover to VHII, fuckin' unbelievable! I can remember all my friendz talkin' about how fuckin' kool this guy with the 3 names looked...BAD MUTHAFUCKA!!!

look at Dave's expressions on the photos they used on "Women and Children First"... jus reaks of ATTITUDE!!!

u know, I can remember a time when parents were fuckin' scared off by Van Halen, God, my mom hated David Lee Roth..."oh, shut that shit off...all I hear is screamin'...bla bla bla...." them, sometime back in '89, I think, I was riding in the family van w/ my mom and Van Hagar came on they played "When It's Love". my mom was singin' this pussy shit!!! I guess that all sumz it up for the second lame ass 1/2 on what could have become THE greatest rock band of all time, instead of the fuckin' joke it's become since '86 and who fuckin' knowz how much longa...

hotdog@ a shake
05-07-2004, 12:08 AM
another thing, back in da day, didn't VH do several promo videos for 6 tunez up until '81? it wuz only '79 when they started showing "Dance The Night Away" and "Bottoms Up" on TV, so how could anyone jus gettin' into VH, or not, have a sense on what this band, and the SINGER, was all about?

now, I understand what hina wants 2 say, but it really doesn't matter! any kid that bought thoze Lp's (LOL) can remember lookin' at Roth and jus being floored...it's not rocket science, or iz it?

look at Dave's expressions on the photos they used on "Women and Children First"... jus reaks of ATTITUDE!!!

u know, I can remember a time when parents were fuckin' scared off by Van Halen, God, my mom hated David Lee Roth..."oh, shut that shit off...all I hear is screamin'...bla bla bla...." then, sometime back in '89, I think, I was riding in the family van w/ my mom and Van Hagar came on the radio and they played "When It's Love".

my mom was singin' this pussy shit!!!

I guess that sumz it all up for the second 1/2, lame ass version, on what could have become THE greatest rock band of all time, instead of the fuckin' joke it's become since '86 and who fuckin' knowz how much longa...

rustoffa
05-07-2004, 12:10 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/dangerous_goods/cs-DavidLeeRoth3a-Atlanta5302.jpg

Bill Lumbergh
05-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by hotdog@ a shake
another thing, back in da day, didn't VH do several promo videos for 6 tunez up until '81? it wuz only '79 when they started showing "Dance The Night Away" and "Bottoms Up" on TV, so how could anyone jus gettin' into VH, or not, have a sense on what this band was all about?

now, I understand what hina wants 2 say, but it really doesn't matter! amy kid that bought thoze Lp's (LOL) can remember lookin' at Roth and jus being floored...it's not rocket science, or iz it?

u know, I can remember a time when parents were fuckin' scared off by Van Halen, God, my mom hated David Lee Roth..."oh, shut that shit off...all I hear is screamin'...bla bla bla...." them, sometime back in '89, I think, I was riding in the family van w/ my mom and Van Hagar came on they played "When It's Love". my mom was singin' this pussy shit!!! I guess that all sumz it up for the second lame ass 1/2 on what could have become THE greatest rock band of all time, instead of the fuckin' joke it's become since '86 and who fuckin' knowz how much longa...

Damn dude parts of that sound exactly like my youth. My parents HATED VH, especially Dave and Ed's riffs. My Aunt later owned a couple of Spammy albums, and my mom liked some of it. SAD SAD SAD.

NathanRay
05-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Fools I live with Fools.....

Albert Einstein
05-07-2004, 12:27 AM

Over and Out,
General Hina

BwaahAhaaahaaa

What a cock!

Golden AWe
05-07-2004, 08:03 AM
"whose pants look worse?"