PDA

View Full Version : Hey whatever happened as a result of Dave suing VH 5 years back?

Hardrock69
02-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Dec 13 2002 3:15 PM EST
David Lee Roth Suing Van Halen
Diamond Dave claims he's owed additional royalty payments.

By Joe D'Angelo

There hasn't been much talkin' 'bout love between David Lee Roth and the Van Halen camp of late, and now there's even less good cheer being spread around: Diamond Dave is suing his former Van Halen bandmates.

Roth and Diamond Dave Enterprises filed a complaint in Los Angeles Superior Court Wednesday that seeks retribution of royalties that Roth claims his bandmates kept from him, according to a court spokesperson. The suit names guitarist Eddie Van Halen, drummer Alex Van Halen, bassist Michael Anthony, Van Halen Music, Van Halen Music LLC and Warner Bros. Records Inc. as defendants.

The band's original singer alleges that, unbeknownst to him, his former bandmates signed a contract with Warner Bros. in October 1996 that increased the amount of royalties for record sales on the "Van Halen/ Roth Era Catalogue," material recorded between 1977 and 1986, the period when Roth was the band's lead singer. Roth claims he never received the additional payments that are estimated to be worth more than $200,000 by the end of this year.

The complaint accuses the Van Halen camp of conversion, conspiracy to convert and breach of fiduciary duty, and seeks unspecified compensatory, exemplary and punitive damages and legal fees. "Conversion" is legalese for stealing, whereby one party treats another's goods or property as their own.

Roth also wants an accountant to examine all the royalty transactions pertaining to the Van Halen/ Roth Era Catalogue between July 1986 and December 31, 2002.

"This is not the first case — and probably not the last case — to examine entertainment industry financial and accounting practices," Roth's attorney said in a statement. "Until the defendants' financial records have been produced and reviewed, we will have no further comment."

ZahZoo
02-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Dave dropped the case with an option to reopen.

Hardrock69
02-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks.

Atomic Dyver
02-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Eddie gave him the choice of a semi-reuion or the whirlwind crotch kick. Dave didn't have his cup on at the time so he took the the semi-reunion.

bru87tr
02-07-2007, 01:02 PM
VH will have no choice but to re-neg the royalties.

dave got them I am sure. was prob part of the deal.

they wouldnt have moved forward without that settled.

Diamondjimi
02-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by bru87tr

Most likely scenario. Dave's no fool...

bru87tr
02-07-2007, 02:18 PM
its a no win for Ed and crew. Dave is right. they were wrong.

no way Ed can win that one. :)

Ice Cream Girl
02-08-2007, 06:10 AM
This may also explain why Dave is being so quiet about this tour.

Maybe Ed had that put in as part of the royalties upgrade deal that most promotional interviews would be done by Ed and not Dave.

If I were Dave, I would be happy to take the money and let Ed do the talkin' as well.

Plus, it saves on his vocal chords for the shows.

bueno bob
02-08-2007, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Ice Cream Girl
This may also explain why Dave is being so quiet about this tour.

Maybe Ed had that put in as part of the royalties upgrade deal that most promotional interviews would be done by Ed and not Dave.

If I were Dave, I would be happy to take the money and let Ed do the talkin' as well.

Plus, it saves on his vocal chords for the shows.

I'd guess that as well...I'm sure Dave will make some statement or another once the time's right.

binnie
02-08-2007, 07:28 AM

That seem likely.

Maybe an out of court settlement of some sorts....

DavidLeeNatra
02-08-2007, 07:33 AM
there is some good insight on what was going on business-wise in hagar's book...

Matt White
02-08-2007, 03:55 PM
"Hey whatever happened as a result of Dave suing VH 5 years back?"

We had to wait 5 more years before anything happened:p

And...I'm SURE DAVID LEE ROTH is gonna have something to say aboo this gig....

ain't NO WAY the FRONT of CLASSIC VAN HALEN is gonna sit back and let SpecialEd do all the talking.....

You can take that to the bank...............

hideyoursheep
02-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
"Hey whatever happened as a result of Dave suing VH 5 years back?"

We had to wait 5 more years before anything happened:p

And...I'm SURE DAVID LEE ROTH is gonna have something to say aboo this gig....

ain't NO WAY the FRONT of CLASSIC VAN HALEN is gonna sit back and let SpecialEd do all the talking.....

You can take that to the bank...............

If Dave (or whoever) let Ed do ALL the talkin', nobody would know what the fuck they were up to,where they were,where they're headed,etc,etc.

ZahZoo
02-08-2007, 04:36 PM

Did you dumbasses read the date on that article???

Dec 13 2002 3:15 PM EST

Dave dropped the suit in 2003 without prejudice. It's highly doubtful rolalty rates are even a cuntsideration for thsi tour deal.

rustoffa
02-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by ZahZoo
Dave dropped the suit in 2003 without prejudice.

Funny thing how receiving an out-of-court, under-the-table settlement from The WB rinses the pain away, eh?
:rolleyes: