PDA

View Full Version : Billy Sheehan WAS contacted by Eddie to join after Mike's "exit"

Vinnie Velvet
02-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Yup. He turned down the offer though.

Picked up this piece of news from the Links.

Read here:

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/showthread.php?t=36204

Atomic Dyver
02-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Oh shit. Now thats a bass player.

Atomic Dyver
02-07-2007, 04:40 PM
The question is how would everone react if Billy Sheehan was the new bassist instead of Wolfie.

hideyoursheep
02-07-2007, 04:42 PM
....you belive this?......

pjvan
02-07-2007, 04:44 PM
I doubt anyone would rip on Sheehan, he has the respect of most fans. It still wouldn't be Bass Player of course, but we all know Billy Sheehan can handle his business.

Diamondjimi
02-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep

Nope!

Billy and his garbage compactor tone would'nt fit the VH sound anyway...

Atomic Dyver
02-07-2007, 04:45 PM

Even so....how would everyone react?

ThrillsNSpills
02-07-2007, 04:49 PM
bs-Great to meet you finally,Billy...I've been a fan since the
Talas days.
BS-Well thanks we had a great time playing here tonight.
bs-Ya know Fender recently released a custom shop relic of Eddie's
Frankenstien guitar...any plans for doing the same with your old
Tele bass?
BS-Ya know we talked to Fender about it but haven't moved on it.
bs-So does each of the (2)input jacks go to seperate pickups?
BS-Exactly-then on to seperate amps.
bs-Can I ask you a somewhat personal question?
BS-sure
bs-When Mike Anthony "left"Van Halen,did Ed give you a call?
BS-Yes he did.We talked for a while but ultimately I couldn't get
involved.It's really a situation I didn't wan't to get in the middle
of.
bs-What do you think about his kid playing bass on the new tour?
BS-I think it's a huge mistake.The kid has no business being out
there with all the drugs and stuff.I think child welfare stepped in
at one point on this.I personally haven't had as much as an asprin
since 1973.
bs-So that explains it-why your're so good!I've never smoked,drank
or done a drug in my life.You know, my favorite
guitar player,Eric Johnson is the same way.I don't think he does
much of anything.
BS-Man what a TONE!!!
At this point the gracious Mr.Sheehan got lost in the throngs of
autograph seekers and "girlies" but hung around for about an hour at
a table no more than about a foot away from mine.I just couldn't
believe that the bass legend was sitting right there in front of
me...but he was and it was cool!What a nice guy.

Antman
02-07-2007, 05:14 PM
A 15 year old kid out on tour with Van Halen=big mistake. In more ways than one.

jgdrag
02-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Funny how BS is quoting BS
Well, we know Edward talked to Billy back in 1980 about the bass player position

bru87tr
02-07-2007, 06:01 PM
if this is true, its too bad.

but like I have said, no way wolfie is playing the tour. no way, no how!!!

like he said, child services will step in.

no one is gonna let an under age kid be around that atmosphere. not to mention work permit issues, his mother, eds problems. David Lee Roth.

its laughable that people think he is actually gonna tour.

I wish BS was the new bass player. that would have been cool. I am sure Dave would have liked it too.

PlexiBrown
02-07-2007, 06:17 PM
With Michael Anthony replaced, I would rather it be with someone younger than someone in their 50's like the rest of the band. Wolf is pretty young but if he can play (many are trashing him without even hearing him play bass) then I would rather see him replace Mike than a 50 year old. Wolf turns 16 next month. Pretty young but if he can play and at the same time he keeps the spark lit under Eddie's ass then he is the right person for the job. I still wish it was Mike on bass though but since it isn't, I would like to see what Wolfgang can do. Van Halen bass parts aren't difficult anyway. They don't call for a virtuoso bassist like Sheehan.

Plexi Head
02-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
I've never smoked,drank
or done a drug in my life.

If this interview is legit, that is one big fucking lie. I have seen him drink red wine with my own eyes. Fuck I hate scientologists, fucking tools.

Plexi Head
02-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
Nope!

Amen to that, at least someone gets it.

hideyoursheep
02-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Atomic Dyver
Even so....how would everyone react? NOBODY UPSTAGES THE GREAT AND POWERFUL ED! NOT NO WAY,NOT NO HOW! THE GREAT AND POWERFUL ED HAS SPOKEN!

Including when it comes to drinking wine.

perilousepete
02-07-2007, 07:01 PM
i can easily see why sheehan wouldn't want to get involved, but then again it seems like this was his chance to get back with dave and play with one of his favorite bands he said back in the 80's. i don't think he'd want to do that to mike though, i'm guessing that's one of the big reasons why he chose not to.

PlexiBrown
02-07-2007, 07:13 PM
i don't think he'd want to do that to mike though

Do what to Mike? Mike is out of the band whether Sheehan repleced him or not.

Nickdfresh
02-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by perilousepete
i can easily see why sheehan wouldn't want to get involved, but then again it seems like this was his chance to get back with dave and play with one of his favorite bands he said back in the 80's. i don't think he'd want to do that to mike though, i'm guessing that's one of the big reasons why he chose not to.

That, and the fact that this tour is probably going to suck bull-balls....

kamaboko
02-07-2007, 07:33 PM
why would sheehan want that gig? sit around and wait for ed to get his head out of his ass and tell sheehan what and how to play? lol. not a good offer.

Terry
02-07-2007, 07:42 PM
I would have had less of a problem with Sheehan stepping in for Mike only because he's a proven commodity, although playing the bass parts on the CVH tunes is a bit of a waste of Sheehan's talent.

Hey, if Wolfgang is the touring bass player this year, I hope he steps up to the plate and knocks it out of the park.

Fuck it. I'm gonna go see it, so I want them to be on top of it. Even if I wasn't, I'd get no pleasure hearing that they sucked.

Diamondjimi
02-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Terry

Hey, if Wolfgang is the touring bass player this year, I hope he steps up to the plate and knocks it out of the park.

Fuck it. I'm gonna go see it, so I want them to be on top of it. Even if I wasn't, I'd get no pleasure hearing that they sucked.

True. This is the fuckin d-day for Van Halen. Their last kick at the can. I want to see this tour be successful and I'd like to see Dave carry on with them after the tour. Record etc. back to the top where they belong.
Ed wants his load to play bass ,let the fucker play. Bottom line the fucker better deliver the goods.
And if it all goes to shit , fuck him...(Ed)

ELVIS
02-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Terry
although playing the bass parts on the CVH tunes is a bit of a waste of Sheehan's talent.

That's an ignorant statement...

Stupid, too...

Antman
02-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by bru87tr

no one is gonna let an under age kid be around that atmosphere. not to mention work permit issues, his mother, eds problems. David Lee Roth.

Like the old saying goes, money talks and bullshit walks. Look at all the child actors. Wolfie's only going to play what, 2 hours a night tops? As bad as a backstage scene can be, it's really no different or worse than a movie or TV show set. Unfortunately, Wolfie will tour. As we all know his dad is one stubborn fuck. I'm surprised his mom hasn't been against it. Publicly anyway.

I wish BS was the new bass player. that would have been cool. I am sure Dave would have liked it too.

Matt White
02-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Hmmm...let me consult the archives...

Right...GUITAR WORLD March 1987 interview (pg43) by Joe LaLaina.....

And I quote...."Dave and Ed wanted me in Van Halen years ago, but Alex [Van Halen] didn't want me to. Alex said I overplayed too much, and he was quite content playing with Michael [Anthony]. Whenever I would walk into Van Halen's dressing room I would immediately get a bad vibe from Alex---the guy doesn't like me."

Maybe 'ol SHEMP still has some pull...............

Antman
02-07-2007, 09:28 PM
I don't know what I just did, but my response got in that last post. Sorry dude.

Plexi Head
02-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Hmmm...let me consult the archives...

Right...GUITAR WORLD March 1987 interview (pg43) by Joe LaLaina.....

And I quote...."Dave and Ed wanted me in Van Halen years ago, but Alex [Van Halen] didn't want me to. Alex said I overplayed too much, and he was quite content playing with Michael [Anthony]. Whenever I would walk into Van Halen's dressing room I would immediately get a bad vibe from Alex---the guy doesn't like me."

Maybe 'ol SHEMP still has some pull...............

Thank christ for that. Sheean would certainly limit Alex's groove I'm sure. Overplayed is an understatement. Alex aint dumb and I would rather see Wolfie than watch Sheean fuck up Van Halen.

Nickdfresh
02-07-2007, 11:09 PM
No. Alexis is pretty fucking dumb...

Terry
02-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
That's an ignorant statement...

Stupid, too...

How so?

Panamark
02-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Billy Sheehan never did drugs, wine or smoked ??? :eek:

and he reckons he is a Rockstar ???????

I call BS on BS

BrownSound1
02-08-2007, 12:47 AM
I know that Mike and Billy are friends, I imagine that is a big reason he turned that down. Don't blame him at all, and respect him for being loyal to his friend.

Billy Sheehan has some incredible chops for sure, but he doesn't groove. Mike could get into a groove, and knew not to overplay.

MAX
02-08-2007, 12:58 AM
Fuck, the irony here is weird...

Edward also asked Jeff Berlin in the early 80's if he'd be interested in replacing Anthony. Jeff's an out-fucking-standing bassist. Never pictured him playing rock and roll though. I've got an old Guitar Player from like '81 or '82 where Alan Holdsworth mentioned it. It was around the time of Alan's "Road Games" and Eddie was really trying to get involved in Alan's career. He even got Ted Templeman to produce the record and Berlin played bass on that record as well. Although "Road Games" is short, I still think that's Holdsworth's best record to date, outside of the "U.K." album.

Anyway, Ed was jamming with Alan, Berlin and I believe Bill Bruford? Not sure about the drummer? Anyway, you can really hear a lot of Holdswoth's influences on Ed's playing during the "When Push Comes To Shove" solo.

I just think it's ironic that we have Sheehan and Vai playing alongside Berlin. Wow, small musical world, huh?

perilousepete
02-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
I know that Mike and Billy are friends, I imagine that is a big reason he turned that down. Don't blame him at all, and respect him for being loyal to his friend.

which is why i stated before, "billy woudln't do that to mike"

Panamark
02-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Seems Mike has been on the way out forever....

Halen High
02-08-2007, 01:25 AM
After months of one-on-one lessons with Eddie Van Halen, coupled with the Van Halen musical genes, I'm willing to bet Wolfie will kick ass!

I'm certainly willing to give him a fair go.

And if VH promote themselves the right way this year, the Wolfie factor could give them a boost in the youth market. Compared to many other bands from the same genre, the popularity of VH has gradually faded away amongst younger generation rock fans. A process that began when Sammy Hagar joined.

But new music with a video or two would help.

NathanRay
02-08-2007, 01:36 AM
I hate Lead Bass Players!!!! Billy worked for eat 'em and smile cause that was over the top. I'd rather have a duff mckagen type anyday.

vhroth2007
02-08-2007, 01:47 AM
I don't believe that story. Sheehan wouldn't turn down VH.

MAX
02-08-2007, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Halen High
After months of one-on-one lessons with Eddie Van Halen, coupled with the Van Halen musical genes, I'm willing to bet Wolfie will kick ass!

I'm certainly willing to give him a fair go.

And if VH promote themselves the right way this year, the Wolfie factor could give them a boost in the youth market. Compared to many other bands from the same genre, the popularity of VH has gradually faded away amongst younger generation rock fans. A process that began when Sammy Hagar joined.

But new music with a video or two would help.

Great post and I agree 100%

Especially this part:

the Wolfie factor could give them a boost in the youth market.

When this whole thing was confirmed, DG brought up a really good point regarding Wolfie and Dave. She mentioned when Dave had his radio gig that he (Dave) was always talking about how important it was for the youth to be involved in the arts, whether it be music, theater or whatever. So, I'll bet this one time that what EVH said rings true i.e. that Wolfie's youth and enthusiasm for the older stuff really inspired them to play.

Seriously, this might sound somewhat sappy but I think it's beyond cool that here we have THREE VAN HALENS that are so close knit as a family and who do they want to fucking sing? No one else, other than out man DAVID LEE ROTH!!!

The more I think about this, the more excited I get. :cool:

I mean, take ANY 14 or 15 year old kid who'd learning an instrument and ask them what they'd rather play, Unchained or any of that mindless shit that Van Hagar put out? Of course no kid would wanna play ANY of that outdated, sappy poppy bullshit that Van Hagar played...

Think about Wolfie discovering his Dad's music? It's no wonder he got inspired and they got Dave back!!!

No brainer there.

Also, as much as a full reunion would be stellar, taking out or removing the Michael Anthony factor amputates ANY Hagar, get it? Especially agter reading that interview posted courtesy of Elvis. Where Anthony's saying how much better his background vocals became with Hagar songs... Riiiiiiiiiight.... :rolleyes: :uck:

MAX
02-08-2007, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by vhroth2007

Ummmmm...

YES HE DID and he almost turned down playing with Dave cos he didn't wanna get in the middle of any pissing contest. Read the December 1986 issue of Guitar Player.

vhroth2007
02-08-2007, 01:53 AM
Thats suprising.

Hardrock69
02-08-2007, 12:56 PM
NOBODY UPSTAGES THE GREAT AND POWERFUL ED! NOT NO WAY,NOT NO HOW! THE GREAT AND POWERFUL ED HAS SPOKEN!

Including when it comes to drinking wine.

LMFAO!!

THE GREAT AND POWERFUL ED HAS SPOKEN!!!!

http://i5.tinypic.com/3025izt.jpg

Hardrock69
02-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by MAX
When this whole thing was confirmed, DG brought up a really good point regarding Wolfie and Dave. She mentioned when Dave had his radio gig that he (Dave) was always talking about how important it was for the youth to be involved in the arts, whether it be music, theater or whatever. So, I'll bet this one time that what EVH said rings true i.e. that Wolfie's youth and enthusiasm for the older stuff really inspired them to play.

Seriously, this might sound somewhat sappy but I think it's beyond cool that here we have THREE VAN HALENS that are so close knit as a family and who do they want to fucking sing? No one else, other than out man DAVID LEE ROTH!!!

The more I think about this, the more excited I get. :cool:

I mean, take ANY 14 or 15 year old kid who'd learning an instrument and ask them what they'd rather play, Unchained or any of that mindless shit that Van Hagar put out? Of course no kid would wanna play ANY of that outdated, sappy poppy bullshit that Van Hagar played...

Think about Wolfie discovering his Dad's music? It's no wonder he got inspired and they got Dave back!!!

No brainer there.

Also, as much as a full reunion would be stellar, taking out or removing the Michael Anthony factor amputates ANY Hagar, get it? Especially agter reading that interview posted courtesy of Elvis. Where Anthony's saying how much better his background vocals became with Hagar songs... Riiiiiiiiiight.... :rolleyes: :uck:

Good points.

As much as I would prefer bassplayer so as to make it an actual 'reunion'....what the hell. This gives Wolfie the ULTIMATE street cred.

And if the kid can play like spEd sez he can, then the only objection anyone has (including myself) is that it is not the original 4.

While I do wish the original 4 were out there (and it may happen if Wolfie cannot tour due to his age), I guess I cannot complain too much.

jgdrag
02-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by vhroth2007

How about this one?

The Van Halen connection grew stronger when the band took Talas out on the road for a smattering of arena gigs in 1980 (despite the fact that Talas wasn't even on a major label at the time). According to Sheehan years later, Eddie Van Halen supposedly made overtures to Sheehan to replace Michael Anthony in Van Halen, but Sheehan remained in Talas.

perilousepete
02-08-2007, 05:07 PM
i'm not worried about the wolf's talent. i'm just worried about how the background vocals are gonna sound. to me, the background vocals are what helps make some of the vh songs great and unique.

BruinJer
02-08-2007, 05:32 PM
So if Billy did join the band, that means that Some DLR solo stuff would have to be played live... imagine how good tat would sound!

DLR'sCock
02-08-2007, 05:49 PM
As far as I understand, Ed wanted Sheehan to join the band way back in the day after Talas toured with VH, and it was Dave that said no to having Billy join.

Mr. G
02-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Well I think if Billy did do the gig he would probably play Mike's parts for the most part. I mean he couldn't change it up too much without losing the sound. At the end of the day they should just use Mike. It would be soooo much less work.

studly hungwell
02-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
Nope!

That's it. The bass parts aren't what makes Mike....it's the voice. Can't pull off CVH without it!

ben halen
02-08-2007, 09:19 PM
I doubt Ed even asked him this time around.

I like Sheehan w/Vai, but I'll take my chances with Wolfie as far as VH is concerned.

GreenBayLA
02-12-2007, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by bru87tr

I don't know the law but I do know lots of child actors go on location and have child protection reps on hand. Maybe VH will have something like that along with fact that Wolfie's father will be there ( for better or worse ).

GreenBayLA
02-12-2007, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Plexi Head
If this interview is legit, that is one big fucking lie. I have seen him drink red wine with my own eyes. Fuck I hate scientologists, fucking tools.

Actually the fan/interviewer is listed as bs (small case)
Billy Sheehan listed as BS (CAPS)
Fan/interviewer said he never drank or did drugs.

bs-So that explains it-why your're so good!I've never smoked,drank
or done a drug in my life.You know, my favorite
guitar player,Eric Johnson is the same way.I don't think he does
much of anything.
BS-Man what a TONE!!!

Viking
08-13-2007, 10:52 PM
hideyoursheep, I love your avatar, baby. Too many negative waves around here......LOL :D :lol:

Viking
08-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Kelly's Heroes was one pisser of a movie.....:killer: