Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Watada Mistrial Declared

Mistrial declared court-martial of war objector
    Wed Feb 7, 2007 7:01pm ET

Mistrial declared in war objector court-martial
    FORT LEWIS, Washington (Reuters) - A military judge declared a mistrial on Wednesday in the court-martial of a U.S. Army officer, who publicly refused to fight in Iraq and criticized the war.

First Lt. Ehren Watada had faced up to four years in prison and a dishonorable discharge if found guilty on a charge of missing movements for not deploying to Iraq and two charges of conduct unbecoming an officer for his criticism of the war.

Lt. Col. John Head, the military judge, declared a mistrial after throwing out a "stipulation of fact" -- an agreement over certain facts of the trial -- that forced the government to ask the judge for a mistrial instead of arguing its entire case again.

The judge said he could not accept the stipulation, because it amounts to a confession to the missing movements charge when Watada, 28, stated he is not guilty.

At the center of the dispute is the defense's assertion that Watada would not go to Iraq because he considered it an unlawful order that would make him party to war crimes and as result, it was not his duty to obey it.

"There is a material misunderstanding over what this stipulation is," said Head.

He set a new trial date for the week of March 19, but agreed the timing would be subject to change. Continued... http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...1_%5BFeed%5D-3
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Excellent news. Hopefully it will lead to a larger question of the illegality of the entire fucking war.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• LoungeMachine
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Let's hope.

I'm sure the Neo-Con Chickenhawk Shitbags will try and make hay of this....

If they're not too busy with American Idol or Air America.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2007

The stipulation of fact is - it IS an illegal war.

Mistrial is easier.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Imagine the precedent though.

Holy Batshit, Cheney....

Comment

• Guitar Shark
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
            Excellent news. Hopefully it will lead to a larger question of the illegality of the entire fucking war.
            It may focus more attention on it, but this "mistrial" is just a postponement of the trial. A new trial date will be set.
            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
            Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

March 19th.

What is our resident scum-sucking shyster's opinion?

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                Imagine the precedent though.

Holy Batshit, Cheney....
                This is exactly why the government will need to push very very hard on this one. With the amount of press this is getting, if Watada somehow avoids punishment, just imagine how many other soldiers will take it as an invitation to abandon their posts.
                ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                  March 19th.

What is our resident scum-sucking shyster's opinion?

Midnight trial capped off with crucifixion on Faux Noise.

Comment

• knuckleboner
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

if this is an illegal war then so was vietnam, panama, korea, iraq I, grenada, etc.

i didn't like the decision to go to...military action...here anymore than anybody else. i thought it was the wrong decision at the time and i'm even more sure today that the decision was wrong.

still, if this is declared, "illegal" under what authority can a president ever send troops into combat? only after congress has declared a state of war? eh, i'm not entirely sure the law backs that up. in which case, bush made an extremely bad decision, but this soldier's decision wasn't right, either.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2007

I'd say it's his choice to do what he wants with his military career...

I mean,what are you gonna do? Send him NOW? What the hell for?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

You know. I recall reading that once a German SS officer refused to execute Polish(?) civilians, and he was promptly court martialed and threatened with execution.

His argument was that he was violating German law, as they were signatories to the Geneva and Hague conventions. The Nazis saw that he was right, and realized that the trial would be a public relations disaster, so he was quietly set free (and later fought on the Allied side)....

Interesting...

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                          it IS an illegal war.

What makes it illegal?
                          “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                            What makes it illegal?

The fact that those bastards LIED to the world and acted unilaterally.

LIED to our guys and used them for their own agenda.This is the first time the US used the military for a pre-emptive strike on another nation that Gen.Powell himself said.."was no longer a threat to the world or his neighbors" , months before the invasion.He acted against international law, alot like Iraq in '90 invading Kuwait, but for different "reasons".
                            This Lt. seems to think he would be following unlawful orders by participating in the Iraq theater.He requested to be sent to Afghanistan,but was denied,so this isn't an act of cowardess.

Comment

• knuckleboner
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                              The fact that those bastards LIED to the world and acted unilaterally.

so you have 2 rationales why it's an illegal war. 1) that the administration lied about the reasons for starting it, and 2) that the U.S. acted unilaterally in it.

looking at #2 first, it doesn't matter. there is no requirement in U.S. law that we have some sort of international backing before undertaking military action. and whatever treaties and agreements we've signed do not state that the U.S. must adhere to international law, specifically, in order to get international approval before undertaking military action. so, the fact that NATO, or the U.N. or OPEC, or OAS didn't approve our action has no bearing on whether or not our actions are illegal from the U.S. standpoint.

#1: it's a bit more tenuous to say that if the rationale for going to war involved lies that means the war is definitively illegal, but what the hell, i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it is.

still, there's no proof that the administration lied. there is ample proof that they used evidence now found to be faulty at best, downright wrong at worst. and in all likelihood, the administration relied more on just those information sources it hoped would be true, rather than doing a more thorough analysis. but there's no evidence they lied.

now, is it POSSIBLE that the evidence of lies hasn't been uncovered yet? of course. but as of now, the evidence isn't there. so that's not really a reason.

the war may have been ill conceived (and that's putting it GENEROUSLY, i think) but i've yet to see anything that makes it illegal.

Comment

Working...