PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Mike Anthony from others

Vinnie Velvet
02-09-2007, 03:21 PM
“Nobody and I mean NOBODY could fucking touch him. Anthony kicked ass—basically made Van Halen.”
-Stephen Pearcy, RATT

“I remember when Van Halen were opening for Sabbath on their 10th anniversary tour in the UK. Here are Sabbath – metal gods—and Van Halen---these upstarts from America. Now, you would think they would have absolutely no chance against Sabbath. But the fact is, Van Halen blew Sabbath off the stage every night on that tour and there was Micheal Anthony playing like a madman, out of his skin. I’d never seen anything like it!”
-Malcolm Dome, Rock journalist.

“Michael Anthony changed the way background singers sang. It was a whole new approach to background singing. It was phenomenal.”
-Richard Marx

“Forget about Eddie Van Halen’s guitar playing or David Lee Roth’s showmanship---it was Michael Anthony’s background vocals that made the band. I remember first hearing them on the first Van Halen record and I was like, “Holy shit! What planet is this from??” Mike was an innovator and the main reason for Van Halen’s success.”
-Kevin Dubrow

“Michael Anthony made kids want to become background singers. It was simple as that. That alone is an achievement in itself. His bass playing wasn’t bad either – who could forget Anthony’s Opus from the first Van Halen album? Awesome.”
-Jeff Pilson

-------------------------------------

DavidLeeNatra
02-09-2007, 03:25 PM
:lol:

Roy Munson
02-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Yeah, that fat little fuck could sing his balls off.

Atomic Dyver
02-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet

“Forget about Eddie Van Halen’s guitar playing or David Lee Roth’s showmanship---it was Michael Anthony’s background vocals that made the band. I remember first hearing them on the first Van Halen record and I was like, “Holy shit! What planet is this from??” Mike was an innovator and the main reason for Van Halen’s success.”
-Kevin Dubrow

“Michael Anthony made kids want to become background singers. It was simple as that. That alone is an achievement in itself. His bass playing wasn’t bad either – who could forget Anthony’s Opus from the first Van Halen album? Awesome.”
-Jeff Pilson

LMAO
Forget EVH's guitar genius and Dave's showmanship?

And what kid grows up wanting to be a backup singer?

Thats like stiving to be a 2nd string QB

Pasadena Bunnie
02-09-2007, 05:37 PM
What do you want to be when you grow up? A "background" singer !!!

I want to be the "Bridesmaid" and never the Bride !

???

DlocRoth
02-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Kevin Dubrow......

Richard FUCKING Marx????

Quite a bandwagon!! LOL

Matt White
02-10-2007, 04:34 PM
MY head hurts......

LMFAO

Vinnie Velvet
02-13-2007, 12:47 PM
bass bump!

:D

Coyote
02-13-2007, 01:10 PM
"Anthony's Opus"? :lol:

FORD
02-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Coyote
"Anthony's Opus"? :lol:

Almost sounds like a shitty radio show or something.

steve
02-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Ringo Anthony's unique "Hairplug Mullet" was a lone constant in the Sea of Change that was Van Halen.

Stephen Percy is almost right...it was Anthony's HAIR that actually MADE Van Halen.

Vinnie Velvet
02-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Almost sounds like a shitty radio show or something.

HA!

Good one.

Roth & Roll
02-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Um, and what exactly is the reason everyone is dumping on Michael Anthony again?

Yeah, his harmonies and background vocals meant nothing to the Classic VH sound. Whatever.

Vinnie Velvet
02-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Roth & Roll
Um, and what exactly is the reason everyone is dumping on Michael Anthony again?

Yeah, his harmonies and background vocals meant nothing to the Classic VH sound. Whatever.

Nobody is saying that.

Lighten up, man.

DLRdelight!
02-13-2007, 02:13 PM
when you llok at mike you have to look how he played live. and he played the hell out of the bass by hitting the shit out of it and by putting all his energy into it

4moreyears
02-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by steve
Ringo Anthony's unique "Hairplug Mullet" was a lone constant in the Sea of Change that was Van Halen.

Stephen Percy is almost right...it was Anthony's HAIR that actually MADE Van Halen.

Will they ever stop with the Ringo anthony thing. It was never funny the first time.

fe_lung
02-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
Kevin Dubrow......

Richard FUCKING Marx????

Quite a bandwagon!! LOL

Someone asked who would want to grow up to be a background singer.....

Vinnie Velvet
02-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by DLRdelight!
when you llok at mike you have to look how he played live. and he played the hell out of the bass by hitting the shit out of it and by putting all his energy into it

Yeah, that's right.

Just "hittin' the shit out of it."

LOL.

PlexiBrown
02-13-2007, 02:28 PM

What a crock of shit. Sure Mike is important to Van Halen and he should be part of this tour but cut me a break! People feel so bad for Mike that they are way overdoing it. Ed and Dave made Van Halen and were the main reason for Van Halen's success. They also were the main reasons for it falling apart and then failed reunion attempts after that but that is another story. Mike and Al were necessary to the VH sound but lets take it easy and give credit to where credit is due.

Radiotalker
02-13-2007, 02:32 PM
I know all of this is meant in fun - but seriously try this some time:

Go back and listen to some of the classics and imagine how they'll sound without the background vocals. On some songs it won't matter, but on others - Mikey's vocals will be sorely missed.

The two most underrated sounds you hear on any given VH song - Mikey's background vocals and Al's ride cymbal.

cwsmith17
02-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Roy Munson
Yeah, that fat little fuck could sing his balls off.

That fat fuck also got laid more than everyone at the dlrarmy combined!

PlexiBrown
02-13-2007, 02:40 PM
“I remember when Van Halen were opening for Sabbath on their 10th anniversary tour in the UK. Here are Sabbath – metal gods—and Van Halen---these upstarts from America. Now, you would think they would have absolutely no chance against Sabbath. But the fact is, Van Halen blew Sabbath off the stage every night on that tour and there was Micheal Anthony playing like a madman, out of his skin. I’d never seen anything like it!”

Wasn't this quote from that VH1 series on the Story Heavy Metal or whatever it is called. Because if it is somebody replaced Eddie Van Halen's name with Michael Anthony's. On the VH1 thing the guy says the same thing except he said, "but the fact is, Van Halen blew Sabbath off the stage every night on that tour and there was EDDIE VAN HALEN playing like a madman, out of his skin. There was NO mention of Michael Anthony.

Where did you find these quotes? Something is very fishy. These quotes were changed and/or made up by someone.

Roth & Roll
02-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Radiotalker
I know all of this is meant in fun - but seriously try this some time:

Go back and listen to some of the classics and imagine how they'll sound without the background vocals. On some songs it won't matter, but on others - Mikey's vocals will be sorely missed.

The two most underrated sounds you hear on any given VH song - Mikey's background vocals and Al's ride cymbal.

Excellent post, newbie!
Unfortunately I don't think that this is going to sink in for most people until they pay their $200 to see Van Halen 4.0 this summer.

I understand that people are a little pissed at MA for aligning himself with Fatty McHagar, but that was only made possible because of the shabby second-class treatment he has received from EVH since the FUCK album in 1990.

Hardrock69
02-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Look...it has nothing to do with bassplayer's capabilities.

It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that The Wizard Of Ed is trying to fuck him over by not letting him play on the tour.

Fuck that sad bastard!

He does not give a rat's ass what the fans want. And the fans want to see the original lineup.

Is he fucking brain dead?

Why does he not shove his Frankenstein guitar up his own ass until he chokes on the headstock?!?!?!?!?!?

:mad:

He is a goddamnable fucking asshole!

FUCK THAT MOTHERFUCKER!!!

PlexiBrown
02-13-2007, 03:03 PM

Of course they will be missed as will his presence and experience but lets not start painting him out to be "the man who made Van Halen" and also fabricate and change quotes, like people are obviously doing, to make Mike look like he was the most important member of Van Halen.

Hardrock69
02-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Well, Ed is not the most important part of Van Halen.

Vinnie Velvet
02-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by PlexiBrown
Wasn't this quote from that VH1 series on the Story Heavy Metal or whatever it is called. Because if it is somebody replaced Eddie Van Halen's name with Michael Anthony's. On the VH1 thing the guy says the same thing except he said, "but the fact is, Van Halen blew Sabbath off the stage every night on that tour and there was EDDIE VAN HALEN playing like a madman, out of his skin. There was NO mention of Michael Anthony.

Where did you find these quotes? Something is very fishy. These quotes were changed and/or made up by someone.

Yeah, WTF?

Vinnie Velvet
02-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Radiotalker

Anybody who refers to Micheal Anthony as "Mikey" is a fucking faggot!

PlexiBrown
02-13-2007, 03:15 PM
He does not give a rat's ass what the fans want. And the fans want to see the original lineup.

Makes you wonder why Dave wants to be part of this tour then. If Dave cared about the legacy and what the fans want to see then he would have said, "Ill pass unless it is the original lineup". Dave should have stuck to his guns. They are all full of shit.

Vinnie Velvet
02-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Makes you wonder why Dave wants to be part of this tour then. If Dave cared about the legacy and what the fans want to see then he would have said, "Ill pass unless it is the original lineup". Dave should have stuck to his guns. They are all full of shit.

Oh, give me a fucking break about 'legacy'.

The legacy was already fucked with back in 1996 and drove right into the ground in 1998.

You people are hilarious. The worst things have already happened to VH.

Fuck sakes.

PlexiBrown
02-13-2007, 03:19 PM

True, but Ed and Dave together are. Mike and Al are necessary but not as important.

Vinnie Velvet
02-13-2007, 03:21 PM
True, but Ed and Dave together are. Mike and Al are necessary but not as important.

I wouldn't even put Mike up with Al.

Alex is just as necessary to the whole VH sound as Eddie is.

I'm a drummer and Al's sound and playing is very distinct and a signature sound for VH.

PlexiBrown
02-13-2007, 03:28 PM
The legacy was already fucked with back in 1996 and drove right into the ground in 1998.

Actually, the legacy was fucked in 1984. I was just pointing out that people are saying that Eddie doesn't care about what the fans want when Dave is participating in it too. I am going to the concerts whether Mike is in the band or not because I want to see Eddie and Dave on stage together again. I accepted the fact long ago that Van Halen ended in 1984.

Hardrock69
02-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Oh, give me a fucking break about 'legacy'.

You people are hilarious. The worst things have already happened to VH.

Fuck sakes.

Oh so you wanna sit there and take whatever driblets spEd wants to dish out to the "fans", eh?

Hardrock69
02-13-2007, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't even put Mike up with Al.

Alex is just as necessary to the whole VH sound as Eddie is.

I'm a drummer and Al's sound and playing is very distinct and a signature sound for VH.

Well, I feel all four of them were an integral part of the CVH "sound".

Some punk kid who has only been playing bass for 6 months is not gonna cut it. I don't give a fuck who his daddy is.

Vinnie Velvet
02-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Oh so you wanna sit there and take whatever driblets spEd wants to dish out to the "fans", eh?

Nah.

Just sayin', we've seen the worst to come out of Eddie's great ideas.

IMO.

Vinnie Velvet
02-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Well, I feel all four of them were an integral part of the CVH "sound".

Some punk kid who has only been playing bass for 6 months is not gonna cut it. I don't give a fuck who his daddy is.

Sure, all four were integral.

However, IMO, I think its easier (at least in the studio or on record) to duplicate bass lines and background singing than it is to duplicate the drumming style.

Live is a different story, as far as the harmonies go.

Hardrock69
02-13-2007, 03:44 PM
I am not arguing with you.

Spambo The Flatulent is history *YAAAAAAY!*

But I still have to bitch about spEd and his power trip.

Vinnie Velvet
02-13-2007, 03:52 PM
I am not arguing with you.

Spambo The Flatulent is history *YAAAAAAY!*

But I still have to bitch about spEd and his power trip.

Of course!

PlexiBrown
02-13-2007, 03:56 PM

Van Halen has been dead for 23 years. What is being "dished out" now is better than Van Hagar. Ed is going to do what he wants and Dave has joined him. Fans can either "take it" , complain endlessly about it or let it all go and move on.

jgdrag
02-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Bang on!

perticelli
02-13-2007, 05:01 PM

Uhhhhh...

Ed IS the most important part of Van Halen.
Alex is also very important, but not MOST important
Mikey also was very important..but not MOST important
DLR is VERY important to Van Halen, the "CVH" as it's now called, almost as important as Ed, but not MOST important.

For there is NO VH without Ed. In any form, from any period, from any album..
There, the white elephant has been exposed, shred away if you want.
Fact is, that is the facts!

jgdrag
02-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by perticelli
Uhhhhh...

Ed IS the most important part of Van Halen.
Alex is also very important, but not MOST important
Mikey also was very important..but not MOST important
DLR is VERY important to Van Halen, the "CVH" as it's now called, almost as important as Ed, but not MOST important.

For there is NO VH without Ed. In any form, from any period, from any album..
There, the white elephant has been exposed, shred away if you want.
Fact is, that is the facts!

We are all here because of Dave, Ed, Michael and Alex. All four of them make up Van Halen. Van Halen is not one person!
Face the facts

DLR_EngineRoom
02-13-2007, 05:18 PM
“Nobody and I mean NOBODY could fucking touch him. Anthony kicked ass—basically made Van Halen.”
-Stephen Pearcy, RATT

-Malcolm Dome, Rock journalist.

“Michael Anthony changed the way background singers sang. It was a whole new approach to background singing. It was phenomenal.”
-Richard Marx

-Kevin Dubrow

-Jeff Pilson

True enough. Michael Anthony fit perfectly in CVH.

But like I said in another thread: To EVH & AVH, trading a 'Roth' for a 'Hagar' seemed to make sense in that they retained their namesake 'Van Halen'. So still, trading an 'Anthony' for a 'Van Halen' makes even more sense, in their eyes, that is.

BUT you notice we NEVER saw any other rock/metal bands commenting on how Hagar will be missed.

LOL. Hagar will be missed as much as a dog fart.

steve
02-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Anthony = perfectly capable bass player. Can do session work any time. Probably plays guitar better than most anyone on these boards.

EVH= drug-addicted EGOMANIAC who, for better or for worse, was a musical idiot-savant.

Hagar...at one point sold SHAMPOO & CONDITIONER on his website in bottles with his lithographed face and nappy hair on them.

...and for the record, the (admitedly cliche) nickname "Ringo Anthony" is perfectly amusing.

PlexiBrown
02-13-2007, 06:11 PM

Go to the 2:58 mark to hear the real quote and it had nothing to do with Mike.

http://www.broadcaster.com/video/player.php?clip=6536

DlocRoth
02-13-2007, 06:20 PM
LOL

Nice work.

PlexiBrown
02-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Yeah, it's funny and at the same time sad that some are resorting to taking quotes praising Dave and Ed and inserting Mike's name in their place. Mike should be part of the tour.....he isn't.....let it go and quit making shit up.

4moreyears
02-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Fans can either "take it" , complain endlessly about it or let it all go and move on.

Were you saying the same thing when Dave left in 85 and Sammy joined in 86?

PlexiBrown
02-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Were you saying the same thing when Dave left in 85 and Sammy joined in 86?

Sure. You could have either accepted it, complained about it, or moved on from it. It sucked when Dave left and Sammy joined. That is when Van Halen ended. Now it is 23 years later. What else can ya do?

DLRdelight!
02-14-2007, 01:34 AM
Yeah, that's right.

Just "hittin' the shit out of it."

LOL.

you know what i meant. he played the notes with a lot of heart

Vinnie Velvet
02-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Yeah, it's funny and at the same time sad that some are resorting to taking quotes praising Dave and Ed and inserting Mike's name in their place. Mike should be part of the tour.....he isn't.....let it go and quit making shit up.

Fuck man, do I have to spell it out for you??? Do you realize it was all a fucking parody, satire, whatever you wanna call it??

:rolleyes:

Lighten up, dude.

It was meant to be a joke in light of all those crying over Mike not being there this year for the tour.

JESUS CHRIST!!

Vinnie Velvet
02-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
LOL

Nice work.

Thank you.

:)

At least some people get the joke.

perticelli
02-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by jgdrag
We are all here because of Dave, Ed, Michael and Alex. All four of them make up Van Halen. Van Halen is not one person!
Face the facts

Of course we are. But that doesnt change the facts of Ed being MOST important.
If you read what i said, i clearly laid out that each member was VERY important, but Ed was MOST important. ThaT'S all..

northern boy
02-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Has anyone considered that perhaps Mike does'nt want to be there? Maybe Mike is done dealing with Eds shit and simply has left based on that. I would love to see all four of them together again, without the drama. But its never going to happen. The rrhof will be a interesting event indeed.

DlocRoth
02-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Thank you.

:)

At least some people get the joke.

;)

Still laughing at Richard Marx......

kamaboko
02-14-2007, 01:36 PM
i'd like to know how many people posting on this BB actually saw MA with VA prior to 1985. i saw them five times, and i can tell you for a fact no one at these concerts were saying shit like "fat mike" or "mike can't play worth a shit" and all this other garbage. in fact, had you said something like that at a VH show you would have gotten your ass kicked. so for all the little punks that haven't seen VH during the original lineup and posting shit about him...your opinion is null. it don't count.

Matt White
02-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Fuck that FAT Bass player...and his "friends"...

http://a878.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/64/l_8ccf128e0ba5f23771f4807c7522f085.jpg

Vinnie Velvet
02-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by kamaboko
i'd like to know how many people posting on this BB actually saw MA with VA prior to 1985. i saw them five times, and i can tell you for a fact no one at these concerts were saying shit like "fat mike" or "mike can't play worth a shit" and all this other garbage. in fact, had you said something like that at a VH show you would have gotten your ass kicked. so for all the little punks that haven't seen VH during the original lineup and posting shit about him...your opinion is null. it don't count.

Shut up! :mad:

And who the hell is 'VA'?

gouldy1
02-14-2007, 02:21 PM
hey, anyone out there? just gettin used to this internet stuff...feel like a virgin surfer!

northern boy
02-14-2007, 02:45 PM

Saw them once in Vancouver B.C. 1984 best show ever. However and I agree no one would have talked shit about Mike then. I,m not talking shit about him now. I said perhaps he's done with Ed, you could'nt blame him if he is. There is enough bootlegs out there for people to form an opinion of there own if they havent been lucky enough to see cvh.

PlexiBrown
02-14-2007, 03:27 PM
I saw CVH many times live. Mike always did a good job but that bass solo was a waste. However, it did provide an opportunity to go take a piss and get it out of the way so you didn't miss anything good later.

kamaboko
02-14-2007, 04:37 PM
I saw CVH many times live. Mike always did a good job but that bass solo was a waste. However, it did provide an opportunity to go take a piss and get it out of the way so you didn't miss anything good later.

yeah, i was never enthused about his solo's but then who cares when you're drunk at the time? :-) hell, if i had to pick b/t EVH doing a solo or the band playing another song, i'd take the song.

i'm just tired of all this MA bashing coming from "kids" that were sucking on their mama's nipple when VH was in their prime...and never saw the original band.

Vinnie Velvet
02-14-2007, 04:40 PM
yeah, i was never enthused about his solo's but then who cares when you're drunk at the time? :-) hell, if i had to pick b/t EVH doing a solo or the band playing another song, i'd take the song.

i'm just tired of all this MA bashing coming from "kids" that were sucking on their mama's nipple when VH was in their prime...and never saw the original band.

Shut the hell up.

I saw CVH in 1984 -- was my first show.

Do you honestly think Mike's playing had changed as much as Ed's has during the Van Hagar years?

No.

kamaboko
02-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Shut the hell up.

I saw CVH in 1984 -- was my first show.

Do you honestly think Mike's playing had changed as much as Ed's has during the Van Hagar years?

No.

yeah, and had you said MA sucked and was fat pig at that show you know you would have taken an ass whopin, too.

no, his playing hasn't changed and neither has EVH's playing. so if MA was good enough to rock then, he's sure as hell good enough to rock now.

Vinnie Velvet
02-15-2007, 12:47 PM
yeah, and had you said MA sucked and was fat pig at that show you know you would have taken an ass whopin, too.

no, his playing hasn't changed and neither has EVH's playing. so if MA was good enough to rock then, he's sure as hell good enough to rock now.

Um no.

People back in '84 used to make fun of Anthony too. Because he was the least known of the band.

But it certainly wasn't like this today -- the making fun of Anthony had more to do with his lesser "star" appeal in comparison to Dave and Eddie.

Fuck man, Eddie's playing DID change during the Van Hagar years -- more emphasis to play like shit!

I know Mike can still play, but the FACT is that he won't be playing with VH this year.

Time to just let it go.

DLR_EngineRoom
02-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by northern boy
Has anyone considered that perhaps Mike does'nt want to be there? Maybe Mike is done dealing with Eds shit and simply has left based on that. I would love to see all four of them together again, without the drama. But its never going to happen. The rrhof will be a interesting event indeed.

I honestly believe that Mike's feelings are mixed.

On one hand, you better believe he wants to be part of this reunion 'cause he realizes THIS is the last tour he thought the 2004 tour was supposed to be. This tour will be HUGE, and the only thing keeping it behind will be him not being involved.

On the other hand, he's hurt by years of being musically neglected by Ed n' Al, especially on the last tour, so he's in no rush to reunite either.

I think he's pretty 'down-the-middle' with Dave directly, doesn't love or hate 'em, just doesn't like certain attributes of Dave.

From Ed's perspective, he can't stand Hagar (understandably obvious why) and for Mike to take Sammy's side and start a band called 'The Other Half' is not only a very ballsy move, it's a big FU to the VH Bros.

So Ed listens to his new PR girlfriend, and he notices that his son not only prefers the original stuff, but can also play above average: it would only make sense for him to kick Mike to the curb to hire his son.

4moreyears
02-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
I honestly believe that Mike's feelings are mixed.

On one hand, you better believe he wants to be part of this reunion 'cause he realizes THIS is the last tour he thought the 2004 tour was supposed to be. This tour will be HUGE, and the only thing keeping it behind will be him not being involved.

On the other hand, he's hurt by years of being musically neglected by Ed n' Al, especially on the last tour, so he's in no rush to reunite either.

I think he's pretty 'down-the-middle' with Dave directly, doesn't love or hate 'em, just doesn't like certain attributes of Dave.

From Ed's perspective, he can't stand Hagar (understandably obvious why) and for Mike to take Sammy's side and start a band called 'The Other Half' is not only a very ballsy move, it's a big FU to the VH Bros.

So Ed listens to his new PR girlfriend, and he notices that his son not only prefers the original stuff, but can also play above average: it would only make sense for him to kick Mike to the curb to hire his son.
Mike just wanted to play. Eddie was locked up in a meth lab, Dave was doing radio and Sam was touring. Even if he picked Sam over Ed he was treated like shit by Eddie. Fuck Eddie. He may be a great guitar player but a real poor human being.

Rikk
02-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by 4moreyears
Mike just wanted to play. Eddie was locked up in a meth lab, Dave was doing radio and Sam was touring. Even if he picked Sam over Ed he was treated like shit by Eddie. Fuck Eddie. He may be a great guitar player but a real poor human being.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel concerning Mike and Ed.