PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen Diver Down Tour Radio Promo

ALMOSTsaved
02-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Remember back in the day before the internet when the only way you found out a band was coming to town was through radio and newspaper ads? Well, back in 1982, Van Halen was performing 50 miles from my house in Mobile, AL. I believe the date was November 28, 1982. I'd already seen them twice at this point in Biloxi, MS. The first time was on the "Fair Warning" tour on September 5, 1981 and then early on in the "Diver Down" tour on July 24, 1982. Being that I was only 12 years old, my mother wasn't about to drive me the 50 miles to see another concert. The day of the show, I was recording songs off the radio with my cheap ass little one speaker / radio cassette player. I happened to catch the ad for the show that was happening that night....and now I'm pleased to bring it to you nearly 25 years later. One thing's for sure: They never did kick ass ads like this when Sammy was fronting the band. Enjoy!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2E52OG0S

Diamondjimi
02-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Good stuff , Bro.

Thanx
:cool:

sadaist
02-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Nice. Can't wait to hear this years promos.

Last_Child
02-11-2007, 04:48 PM
File bạn đang truy cập tạm thời bị gián đoạn

Can someone actually translate this?

ALMOSTsaved
02-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
Good stuff , Bro.

Thanx
:cool:

Glad you liked. I knew I had it on tape...and I knew what tape it was on...But, I just lucked out and found it yesterday. Brings back memories. I can remember the excitement that I felt hearing shit like this back in the day.

Unchainme
02-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
They never did kick ass ads like this when Sammy was fronting the band. Enjoy!

LOL yeah, I remember on the ads for the 2004 Diaster that they had to use CVH all the time to get people's attention. Pretty fucking sad, but it did prove something.

Jérôme Frenchise
02-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Remember back in the day before the internet when the only way you found out a band was coming to town was through radio and newspaper ads? Well, back in 1982, Van Halen was performing 50 miles from my house in Mobile, AL. I believe the date was November 28, 1982. I'd already seen them twice at this point in Biloxi, MS. The first time was on the "Fair Warning" tour on September 5, 1981 and then early on in the "Diver Down" tour on July 24, 1982. Being that I was only 12 years old, my mother wasn't about to drive me the 50 miles to see another concert. The day of the show, I was recording songs off the radio with my cheap ass little one speaker / radio cassette player. I happened to catch the ad for the show that was happening that night....and now I'm pleased to bring it to you nearly 25 years later. One thing's for sure: They never did kick ass ads like this when Sammy was fronting the band. Enjoy!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2E52OG0S

Great thanks! It was worth the job (I guess you didn't just snap your fingers ;)).

It seems these sound clips are no longer done today.
I have funny radio promo clips of Canned Heat and Ike & Tina, they're bonus tracks.
BTW, if the 78-84 compilation really won't contain anything but the songs we all already have, why not add radio bits of interviews, promo clips, or even a few of Dave's rants on stage?
Not to mention unreleased studio and live stuff, of course. :cool:

ALMOSTsaved
02-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
[B]Great thanks! It was worth the job (I guess you didn't just snap your fingers ;)).

It seems these sound clips are no longer done today.

No doubt...Nowadays we know months ahead of time what the tour schedule of our fave band is. I miss the element of surprise. I'm debating whether or not I will be reading reviews / set lists of the upcoming tour so I can be somewhat "in the dark" when I attend a show...

Jérôme Frenchise
02-11-2007, 07:48 PM
No doubt...Nowadays we know months ahead of time what the tour schedule of our fave band is. I miss the element of surprise. I'm debating whether or not I will be reading reviews / set lists of the upcoming tour so I can be somewhat "in the dark" when I attend a show...

I hear you. Yet, back in the days, what wouldn't we have given to get all the information we can easily have today?
But there was surely more spice in waiting for next month's issue of your rock/hard rock magazine.
Now there's way too much information in comparison.

Talking about your recording again, the sound is surprisingly good. I also kind of hear it like a vestige of the time. :cool:

A VH gig at the age of 12... Very hard to beat as far as getting thrills in the years after, I suppose!

ALMOSTsaved
02-11-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm actually quite surprised at the sound quality too. I wish I'd had a "stereo" boombox back then...but alas, it was a mono one...The tape held up and I'm amazed. Actually I was eleven for my first VH show. I was twelve for the second....thirteen for the third...and on.

Hummarstra
02-12-2007, 03:56 AM
thanks ALMOST.

ELVIS
02-12-2007, 05:36 AM
I remember hearing that...

I lived in Mobile at the time...

Believe it or not, some of the members of Van Halen were spotted at the local mall playing video games...

My girlfriend and I were there. She claims she ran into Dave but I didn't see them...

And I don't remember why, but I didn't go to the show...:(

binnie
02-12-2007, 05:38 AM
Cheers!

frankfasteddie
02-12-2007, 05:46 AM
thats great thx

ALMOSTsaved
02-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I remember hearing that...

I lived in Mobile at the time...

And I don't remember why, but I didn't go to the show...:(

I don't have to remind you that you made a bad decision not going. :D

ELVIS
02-12-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm thinking maybe I didn't have the money, or my girlfriend (also my x-wife) wouldn't LET me go...

:(

:D

ALMOSTsaved
02-12-2007, 09:55 AM
If it was the case of the ex, let's hope you found some very imaginative ways to get your revenge.

Atomic Dyver
02-13-2007, 02:01 PM
EXCELLENT!

ALMOSTsaved
02-14-2007, 07:16 AM
It would be fucking phenomenal if we got radio ads like that this year. What I like about this particular ad, is it shows it's age. You hear absolutely no "1984" material on it....the "Diver Down / Hide Your Sheep" tour was the quintessential VH experience. NOTHING touches it...at least not in my concert experiences.

ELVIS
02-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Yeah...

The band was concentrating on giving a good live performance that year because of reports of them being pretty wasted on stage during the previous tour, or something to that effect...

Bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest were known for their performances being as close to the record as possible , and Van Halen, in contrast, were just the opposite with (what sounded like) a lot of improvisation...

Dave was often criticized for not singing, and/or not knowing the words...

To me though, Van Halen's approach was more exciting, although hearing the boots 20 or so years later, you realize it was all planned out, but it didn't seem like it at the time...

:elvis:

ALMOSTsaved
02-14-2007, 08:10 AM
The Diver Down show was absolutely INSANE in Biloxi. At the time it broke records for the number of people to attend a show in that particular arena.

ELVIS
02-14-2007, 08:21 AM
I saw them there for the 1984 tour...

ALMOSTsaved
02-14-2007, 09:07 AM
I was there for '84 as well. We were on the front row on Eddie's side next to his riser. Got to see Val right before the show being ushered into a tent behind the drums / amps. It was also great to see all those people packed in on the floor...

Unchainme
05-25-2007, 03:53 PM
B^U^M^P

Can you rehost the audio to this?

allanshort
05-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks!

J Curling
05-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Great post, thanks for that. I saw The Mighty Van Halen 1984 over here in Sweden. But from what I remember we didn't have commercial radio back then... No promos like this one. insane. Well now I am hoping for a real reunion..