PDA

View Full Version : Scottie Pippen coming out of Retirement?

WARF
02-16-2007, 02:28 PM
It's not quite the impact of Michael Jordan's famous two-word return to basketball in 1995, but Scottie Pippen is seriously considering a comeback and hopes to play for a contending team in this season's playoffs.

Pippen, who turned 41 on Sept. 25, says he's in better condition and health than at any time in the last five years. And in the Eastern Conference, his veteran presence could change the balance of power and be a major influence in the playoffs. Or he might be the long-sought backup to relieve the pressure on the Suns' Steve Nash. The possibilities are intriguing.

Pippen will give an indication of where he is physically when he teams with the Bulls' Ben Gordon and the Chicago Sky's Candice Dupree in the "Shooting Stars" contest part as part of Saturday night's All-Star festivities.

"I'm thinking of trying to come back for the playoffs," Pippen said. "Something like the last two months of the season, somewhere I can come back and play limited minutes to start, play point forward for someone and build toward the playoffs. It's something I've been thinking about for the last three months."

Pippen last played for the Bulls in the 2003-04 season, when knee problems limited him to 23 games. He said he's considering the right situation and plans to talk to some teams and players during the weekend.

"Being out of the game, my body feels great," Pippen said, adding that his body fat is at an all-time low 5 percent and he's at his top playing weight of about 220 pounds.

"Taking this break, it feels amazing. I'm looking at somewhere I could play maybe 15 minutes. I'm not trying to be a big-money guy or anything, [just trying to] get with a team I can help in the playoffs.

"My knee is good," Pippen said. "I've been working out regularly, doing drills. I see my body like guys like Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar, who played till he was 42) and Robert Parish (who played until just short of 44). My body is lanky and flexible like theirs. That gives me some hope I can do it.

"I'm moving good. I feel pretty fast and you don't forget the game. I watch and see so many young guys who don't know how to run a team and I feel I could help someone."

Pippen wants to move into coaching and said his ideal situation would be to serve as a player-coach. He believes his experience running Phil Jackson's Bulls offense and as the leader of good Trail Blazers teams in the late 1990s gives him a step up in coaching.

The Bulls bought out Pippen's contract before the 2004-05 season. He didn't mention the Bulls as a possible destination, but he doesn't seem like a good fit with their surplus of guards and small forwards.

Perhaps there would be a spot for him if the Bulls were to trade for Pau Gasol and give up some of their forwards. Pippen remains close with Bulls general manager John Paxson and has worked with players on the team in the last few years.

There are at least two other contending Eastern Conference teams Pippen could greatly affect if he's in the shape he says he's in.

The Miami Heat has been desperate for a point guard with Jason Williams hurt and Gary Payton proving ineffective. Pippen could relieve ball-handling pressure on Dwyane Wade and work inside with Shaquille O'Neal. And he lives in Ft. Lauderdale.

Also, the Cleveland Cavaliers have been desperate for a point guard. With Eric Snow benched, they're playing rookie second-rounder Daniel Gibson at the point. That leaves LeBron James to shoulder even more duties. Pippen could relieve James and get him free to operate in the open court much as he did with Jordan.

Of course, that was a long time ago. But we've seen 40-ish veterans in all sports make an impact with their knowledge and execution. It's especially vital in the playoffs with more half-court play.

Pippen, a classic point guard, played 11 seasons with the Bulls before a year in Houston and four with Portland.

ALinChainz
02-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Gotta wonder how the layoff will affect him. Good shape or not, game conditions and competition will have a say.

POJO_Risin
02-17-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm sorry...but...

A FUCKING CLASSIC POINT GUARD?

HORSESHIT...

POJO_Risin
02-17-2007, 03:14 PM
There is no way that guy makes a fucking impact...except for the worst...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
I'm sorry...but...

A FUCKING CLASSIC POINT GUARD?

HORSESHIT...

LOL, that's like saying Magic was a classic point guard...

POJO_Risin
02-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Well...I'm sorry...but when it all came down to it...

the ball went through the hands of Jordan...

Pippen?

he brought up the ball because 10 guys were chasing Jordan...

hambone
02-22-2007, 12:17 AM
I think Pippen was decent, but not as much as to warrant such a reaction. People are acting like he's going to bring 35 points a game.

Warham
02-22-2007, 06:55 AM
The initial interest has come from Phil Jackson, obviously, who can probably get the most out of the 41 year old ex-Bull.

bueno bob
02-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Well, if Pippen brings his Portland game with him, the buzz will die off REAL quick, trust me...

He didn't do shit for us other than walk the ball up and down the court and assume the role of team leader...

Then again, I guess that's what Paul Allen paid him to do, so...

Warham
02-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Yeah, I can't say I'm a big fan.

bueno bob
02-22-2007, 08:40 AM
In other ex-Blazers news, Clyde Drexler's going to be on "Dancing With the Stars"...

:D

Warham
02-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Now that's something to get excited about. :)

Eyes of the Night
02-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Go Pippen ... just dust off those 41 year old bones ...

Yo Risin, just heard where you got your user name ... when I heard the doors singing the tune it gave me the goosbumps yo!!!

bueno bob
02-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Eyes
Go Pippen ... just dust off those 41 year old bones ...

Yo Risin, just heard where you got your user name ... when I heard the doors singing the tune it gave me the goosbumps yo!!!

You just noticed that?

:)

Eyes of the Night
02-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Not a doors fan BB;) ... at all ... have some stars BB ...

bueno bob
02-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Eyes
Not a doors fan BB;) ... at all ... have some stars BB ...

Ahhh...I thought everybody was, to some degree...it's cool :)

Here's a few more for ya, dude...