PDA

View Full Version : Would You Prefer a DLR SOLO tour?? (give this thread some LOVE!)

steve
02-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Frankly, unless there is new music, I'd prefer see a few concerts where Dave re-tools his band, adds a bunch of his solo music to setlist, and comes out a new solo ROCK album in the vein of DLR Band.

The idea of shelling out 250 bucks a pop for shitty tickets to a VH tour in a large "shed" venue where Eddie VH may or may not decide to play well that night...as opposed to the 7 times I've seen Dave and his solo band play overthe last 8/9 years in some great clubs where his PROFESSIONAL band played excellently...let's just say seeing VH this summer with no new music doesn't excite me that much as a music fan.

Dave's own bandmembers have told several members of this board that the DLR Band had new ROCK music in the can...I get the idea Dave has been "saving" his lyric and song ideas over the past 8 years or so in anticipation of a VH reunion.

Screw THAT.

Dave...get back with the (superior) musicians who actually want to play/write/are not meth addicts.
Purchase your solo catalog and post the song downloads on your website FOR FREE (as advertising for your tour, this advertising will be worth far more than any possible album profits nowadays - including the new album), along with videos. release a DVD with the pro-shot live shows we all know exist (EEAS tour, Skyscraper, ALAE tour), put out a new solo album of original material, and mix up your setlist with 1/2 solo 1/2 VH. You'll be surprised...attendence (2000 folks per venue) will be fine and it will make a more interesting show for the fans, the band, and YOURSELF. Everyone wins. Not too difficult.

A setlist could look like this:

Hot For Teacher
Hear About It Later
Big Trouble (EEAS)
*NEW SONG*
Put Out the Lights
Ain't Talkin Bout Love
Jamie's Cryin'
A Little Ain't Enough
Dance the Night Away
*NEW SONG*
Could This Be Magic?
Little Texas
Take Your Whiskey Home
Ladies Night In Buffalo
Runnin With the Devil
Light In the Sky
Yankee Rose
Just Like Paradise
Goin' Crazy
Panama
Jump

THE BAND:
ROTH
LUZIER
SHEEHAN
YOUNG
HIKETA

Mike-DLR
02-21-2007, 09:11 PM
kick ass setlist :)

ELVIS
02-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Like Dave lurks around here or something ??

I've had my fill of solo DLR...

I'd like to hear a Van Halen album with Dave and whoever/whomever on bass...

Next topic please...

:elvis:

squib
02-21-2007, 09:25 PM
We've had solo Dave and I think we'll get solo Dave again someday. I'd choose new VH music over a tour, so at this point I'd like to see the reunion happen. If this falls through then there is obviously zero chance of new VH music

Blackflag
02-21-2007, 09:44 PM
I'd rather see DLR/Vai again than "Wolfgang."

ELVIS
02-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Like that's gonna happen...:rolleyes:

Let's stick to discussing things within a remote realm of possibilty...

Blackflag
02-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Like that's gonna happen...:rolleyes:

Let's stick to discussing things within a remote realm of possibilty...

What makes you think it wouldn't happen? Both of those guys are about the money. Vai went back and did that Zappa bullshit last year.

ELVIS
02-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Ok, whatever you say...

jhale667
02-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Blackflag
What makes you think it wouldn't happen? Both of those guys are about the money. Vai went back and did that Zappa bullshit last year.

Like THAT was about money. C'mon.

Blackflag
02-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
Like THAT was about money. C'mon.

What do you think it was about?? He played two songs. They were just using his name to pull non-zappa people in...and he got a check for 10 minuts of playing.

ELVIS
02-21-2007, 10:08 PM
You don't know what you're talking about...

They do everything just to get paid, is that it ??

Blackflag
02-21-2007, 10:12 PM
You don't know what you're talking about...

They do everything just to get paid, is that it ??

No, it's about discoving the secrets of the universe and finding the cure for cancer.

Why do you suppose he only played a few songs per show, jackass?

jhale667
02-21-2007, 10:15 PM
What do you think it was about?? He played two songs. They were just using his name to pull non-zappa people in...and he got a check for 10 minuts of playing.

Dude, he was also paying tribute to his musical mentor, and the guy who gave him his first "break" in the industry. To suggest he did it just for the paycheck is ridiculous.

I saw something on YouTube where Vai recalled the story of his audition for Zappa...and you could hear the absolute reverence in his voice regarding Frank. At the end of his particularly grueling audition in which Zappa made him play a line , then do EVERY POSSIBLE permutation of it, odd time signatures, whatever...he nails all but ONE of them. Zappa says "Yeah...I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player..." :D

Blackflag
02-21-2007, 10:19 PM
I don't doubt his respect for his former boss. But that doesn't mean you feel the need to go on tour 20 years later to pay your respects.

If that were the case, he would have played the whole show. Money talks, bullshit walks.

jhale667
02-21-2007, 10:19 PM
No, it's about discoving the secrets of the universe and finding the cure for cancer.

Why do you suppose he only played a few songs per show, jackass?

...Perhaps because it was a "tribute" type of show where "multiple" Zappa -alumni played as "guests"?!?!?! :rolleyes:

ELVIS
02-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Don't waste your valuable time with this punk, jh...

He's clueless...

jhale667
02-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Besides, wasn't the IDEA of the show more Dweezil playing Frank's music, with "special guests"?

I hear ya, E. ;)

Blackflag
02-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Don't waste your valuable time with this punk, jh...

He's clueless...

Yeah, you're the ones who want to believe in how righteous and altruistic your heroes are...and I'm the clueless one.

Grow up, dumbass. Even DLR comes right out and says he's about the money. Grow the fuck up.

Blackflag
02-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Besides, wasn't the IDEA of the show more Dweezil playing Frank's music, with "special guests"?

Yeah.... I wonder why? :eatit:

I love your muff thread, so don't make me kick your ass. I'll do it.

kamaboko
02-21-2007, 10:28 PM

Apparently we have someone here who knows little about Zappa. Musicians perform Zappa music because they love the man who created it. They're attracted to his creative ability. It's not about the money. Many highly skilled musicians passed up on great paying, more prestigious gigs to be in his band. Vai wasn't there for the money. It was out of respect for the man that gave him is big break.

Blackflag
02-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by kamaboko
Apparently we have someone here who knows little about Zappa. Musicians perform Zappa music because they love the man who created it. They're attracted to his creative ability. It's not about the money. Many highly skilled musicians passed up on great paying, more prestigious gigs to be in his band. Vai wasn't there for the money. It was out of respect for the man that gave him is big break.

I agree wholeheartedly! In fact, I'm getting misty-eyed.

Oh, yeah...the floor seats were $75.

jhale667
02-21-2007, 10:37 PM

I love your muff thread, so don't make me kick your ass. I'll do it.

No, you'd like to think you could. ;)

Settle down, Bevis.

Blackflag
02-21-2007, 10:41 PM
No, you'd like to think you could. ;)

I'll pretend I didn't hear that...but only out of respect for the muff. :bottle:

He heh...that was cool..he heh...

jhale667
02-21-2007, 10:41 PM
And of course you love the muff thread! It fucking RULES!!! :lol:

Blackflag
02-21-2007, 10:44 PM
And of course you love the muff thread! It fucking RULES!!! :lol:

Again...no argument there...:cato2:

Terry
02-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Frankly, after Dave's last two studio releases (Diamond Dave and Van Strumming), I can't say that I'd be all that enthused about a new Dave solo album...not if it's gonna be near-throwaway stuff like those efforts.

Given the choice between hearing/seeing Dave solo and Dave working with EVH (regardless of who is drumming or playing bass), I'll take Dave and Ed.

Even if Roth comes out with another great solo effort like the DLR Band, don't matter in terms of live work, because 90% of his set is CVH tunes anyway.

rustoffa
02-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Not really. I've seen the nostalgic rocket surgery numerous times. Look at it this way. Any fucking dream team touring with Dave, talent notwithstanding, is no substitute for busting out the perverbial flash pots one more time.

I don't give a fuck if it's Robert Fripp emulating the Brownsound with twenty synchronized delays, and Travis Barker with roto toms tied to his hands....Dave would still be calling the solo tour shots.

It's a damned shame Mikey is on the outs. IMO, it's a sidenote. Mikey didn't make Ed lazy.

It's a damned shame Billy Sheehan is on the outs. It's a sidenote. Billy didn't make Dave lazy.

Call me crazy, I just wanted to see the flash pots turn into HIROSHIMA.

That description could be good or bad.....either way?

Dave woulda' been calling the shots again with Ed on the same stage.
:)

Oxford
02-22-2007, 02:42 AM
Ford sorry I didn't see it I think I am just running on pure emotions.It like we are all getting older and I want Roth to do something with a big Bang in style and go out on a high note.Sorry if I posted the thread.I am just really emotional due to this fucking bomb being dropped on us and Roth.I am just numb.I always thought this place was as strict as the VHLINKS so my apologies.

ELVIS
02-22-2007, 02:54 AM
Well dude, you need to chill...

Look, we have literally been here for YEARS talking about this crap, YEARS...

I have been on this site for a good eight years running my mouth...

I have also learned a thing or two...

There is very very little we don't know about David Lee Roth and Classic Van Halen, in fact I would venture to say there is literally NOTHING we don't know, for sure collectively...

So, you're 13 posts are not going to get you alot of respect playing Mr. know-it-all...

We're all just about numb with this reunion crap and nobody wants a reunion more than us...

So, either you hear me or you don't, I don't really care...

:elvis:

binnie
02-22-2007, 03:09 AM
VH over a Roth solo tour please.

I'll take a Roth solo tour when all this imploads....

Oxford
02-22-2007, 04:02 AM
LOL Elvis you want me to send you some chicks over to your house to get some respect around here jk bro.But I wrote on that thread the other one how I felt.But I agree you guys that have been posting for the ages dam that takes freaking dedication and true love for Roth and CVH amen to your devotion man truly out of sight out of mind.I am just a fan that all I am not looking to becoming a legend poster here lol.