Could the Tour Promoters Have Put On The Brakes?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VHrocks
    Banned
    • Jan 2004

Could the Tour Promoters Have Put On The Brakes?

Everyone is trying to guess why the 2007 Van Halen Tour has been put on hold. I believe the reason has already been documented. One quick search on Wikipedia.com pulls up this information:

The 2004 Van Halen summer tour grossed almost $55 million, and Pollstar listed Van Halen in the top 10 grossing tours of 2004. Most of the concerts received positive feedback from professional reviewers. However, serious problems surfaced. Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony would subsequently admit that Eddie Van Halen had problems with alcohol during the tour that affected everyone involved. Hagar stated that he was "done with Van Halen" and wished that everyone would have "taken it more seriously." It was also revealed in Rolling Stone magazine that promoters had lost money on the tour. Many fans complained that tickets were overpriced (sometimes exceeding $200), and only some shows were actually sold out. Reports of Eddie being drunk and playing poorly also circulated, particularly later in the tour, while reports from the first half of the tour were largely positive. The most widely reported alcohol-related performance issue occurred during the band's first night in Chicago at the United Center when Eddie, staggering about, repeatedly tripped on his guitar cable, causing his guitar to become unplugged eighteen times. As a result, towards the middle of the set, Hagar asked Eddie's guitar tech to come onstage and follow Ed around to keep re-plugging the guitar. Also notable was Eddie stopping in the middle of his Eruption solo, laying down on stage and telling the audience in a slurred voice, "I'm sorry folks, I done run outta gas." He lay there for several seconds before standing back up and continuing. At the end of the bands final show of the tour, in Tucson, Eddie smashed one of his guitars on stage and quickly walked off stage.
    As I mentioned previously, this 2007 Van Halen Tour will be a huge roll of the dice for promoters. Eddie is in no better state of mind than he was in 2004, so if promoters lost money then - why would they gamble on Eddie again now?

I don't want to turn this into a "negative" thread against Eddie, but this is truly what I believe has brought this tour to a screeching halt. I mean, if the guys in the band are all ready to move forward (as has been quoted and published), then who is putting on the brakes? Promoters are not willing to take the gamble and invest millions of dollars into a tour that will probably end up losing money for them. They are in this to make money, not to lose it.

• ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Because it's a sure sell with Dave...

Comment

• VHrocks
      Banned
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
      Because it's a sure sell with Dave...
      I would like to think so... but it's Eddie that I'm worried about. I think Dave could sell the tour on his own merit - but does he have enough muscle to keep the EVH baggage from weighing it down too much? That's the 50-million dollar question.

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

No, it's not just Dave's merit either, it's Van Halen...

But, I do see your point and I would imagine the whole thing carrying alot of risk for any party concerned, but...

Good results = payday

Comment

• Rikk
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

The tour promoters did not pull the plug on it. That's bullshit. This is getting a ton of press...and not the kind of press Diana Ross got in 2000 when she tried to fool promoters and the public with a fake version of the fuckin' Supremes.
          Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
          Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

That's why I said right off the bat that this could even be a publicity stunt to gain a little more interest...

Comment

• DLRdelight!
              Veteran
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
              That's why I said right off the bat that this could even be a publicity stunt to gain a little more interest...
              i hope so

Comment

• stillwaitin
                Roth Army Recruit
                • Jan 2007

so you know eddies state of mind is no different to 2004!!!!

BOLLOCKS YOU SELF OPINIONATED,GUESSING TWAT!!

The only ones who know jackshit about anything thats going on are the band and people their dealing with!!

get a life!

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

And in the meantime, watch stuff like this...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-qx6VGSRNE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-qx6VGSRNE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

• VHrocks
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by stillwaitin
                    so you know eddies state of mind is no different to 2004!!!!
                    Correction: I'm sure that by now Eddie's state of mind is much worse than in 2004. God only knows how many cases of Smoking Loon Wine have saturated the poor man's brain since 2004.

:confused:

Comment

• fe_lung
                      Sniper
                      • Mar 2004

I can see promoters being leary of another Hagar tour, but I'd suspect that they'd be more interested in a Dave tour.

I wonder if VH wasn't demanding too big a cut of the tour revenue and the promoters walked away.

Comment

• TheArchitect
                        Groupie
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by fe_lung
                        I can see promoters being leary of another Hagar tour, but I'd suspect that they'd be more interested in a Dave tour.

I wonder if VH wasn't demanding too big a cut of the tour revenue and the promoters walked away.
                        You really believe Eddie would ask for anything less?

Comment

• Oxford
                          Roadie
                          • Jun 2004

Elvis I agree with your post Roth is a master at the unexpected the parachute jump the car across the country on Mtv and the Mtv lost weekend.Who the hell knows maybe he is orchestrating one of the most clever stunts ever pulled in a long time.Hager that fat poodle was pathetic.They couldn't even sell out those Gold Rings.I agree man if it a go Roth with Eddie will be the hottest ticket in the Rocknroll world.It shall remain to be seen.
                          Oxford

Comment

• kcmusician
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by VHrocks
                            God only knows how many cases of Smoking Loon Wine have saturated the poor man's brain since 2004.

:confused:
                            Well I hear that Smoking Loon is only like $7.99 a bottle, so with his money it's safe to say the owners of the drink have a photo of him hanging in their corporate office! haha

Shaun
                            "'Cause stayin' 'round here takes patience It's like a full time occupation"

- Diamond Dave

Comment

Working...