Is Ed taking his business model from Lars Ulrich?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ellyllions
    Veteran
    • Mar 2006

Is Ed taking his business model from Lars Ulrich?

Before I post the article, I have a few things to say...

Nothing gripes my ass more than greed. I will never purchase another Metallica album after the pussy bitch fit that Lars Ulrich threw over Napster. And if this is the direction Ed wants to take, he can count me out of any future music as well.

The page you were looking for could not be found.You might be able to find the page by entering a few keywords in the search box above.

Rock stars sue 8150

Van Halen, Jimmy Page and others allege copyright violations by Vail business owner

Steve Lynn
    Vail, CO Colorado
    February 22, 2007

Comments (0) Print Email

VAIL - Several famous musicians are suing a local business owner for copyright infringement for allowing cover bands to play their songs without permission.

Van Halen Music Company, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and Patricia Bonham are all named as plaintiffs in a lawsuit alleging that Vail business owner Steven Kovacik allowed public performances of their songs at 8150, the lawsuit says.

Kovacik, owner of 8150, said he would not comment on the lawsuit. The lawsuit, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Colorado, names Kovacik and a company named Big Snow Ball LLC as defendants.

The plaintiffs alleged 10 counts of copyright infringement because the defendants allowed bands to play 10 copyrighted songs on Jan. 15 and 16 at 8150, the lawsuit says. The plaintiffs are suing for as little as $750 per song and as much as $30,000 per song, plus attorneys' fees, according to court documents.

Anthony Juarez, an event coordinator who represents the local band initfortim-who opened for female cover band Lez Zeppelin at 8150 on Jan. 15-said he was surprised by the lawsuit.

"Bands cover famous songs all the time," Juarez said. "We cover songs sometimes."

The lawsuit contends that the defendants allowed public performances of songs such as "Heartbreaker," "Whole Lotta Love," "Rock and Roll" and "Black Dog," written by Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and other members of Led Zeppelin; "Hot for Teacher," written by Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth of Van Halen; and "You Shook Me all Night" written by Angus Young, Malcolm Young members of AC/DC.

The defendants failed to obtain a license agreement from the plaintiffs or the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers, according to the lawsuit.

Conor Farley, a Denver attorney for the plaintiffs, did not return phone calls seeking comment Thursday night.

Staff Writer Steve Lynn can be reached at 748-2931 or slynn@vaildaily.com.
    Last edited by Ellyllions; 02-24-2007, 11:52 AM.
    "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

This is a dupe, hun.

Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Ellyllions
      Veteran
      • Mar 2006

FUCK!
      Sorry, all pissed off over here.

Deletey pretty please?
      "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Ellyllions
        FUCK!
        Sorry, all pissed off over here.

Deletey pretty please?

eh, at least I got to see your tongue again.

Comment

• Speed Of White
          Roth Army Recruit
          • Feb 2007

Led Zeppelin is the most disappointing thing about this. For starterst of all the people who don't need the money....Also, Zeppelin spent plenty of time in court defending themselves because it was said many of their old tunes (that they actually made money from and claimed as their own) were rip-offs of old blues songs. Led Zeppelin was pissed about it so why turn around and pull this shit? Maybe it's management making the desicion not the band, but fuck it, the band should step in.

Comment

• EbDawson
            Veteran
            • Apr 2004

Relax, plenty of CVH tribute bands to go around, especially here in So. Cal.

As I understand it, it's really just a publishing fee thing that clubs have to play, Ed has nothing to do with it. Zeppellin, don't know about but there is a chick Zep tribute band out here, pretty good, Guitar player is hot. Shit, can't remember the name of that group tho. They opened for the Punks once.
            "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by EbDawson

Ed has nothing to do with it.

no shit?

I should've put that in my original post......right at the top.

Comment

• EbDawson
                Veteran
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                no shit?

I should've put that in my original post......right at the top.

Ok, next time do it! Don't make me post more than once a day!
                "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• EbDawson
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2004

And the name of that chick Zeppelin band was Zepparella. Guitar player is hot!

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• BrownSound1
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Mar 2003

There is a Lez Zeppelin too....saw an interview with them not long ago.

This lawsuit has to do with a dumbass club owner that did not pay his ASCAP and BMI fees. Any club or venue that allows you to hear copywritten music has to pay this. I doubt any of the named band members even know the lawsuit is going on. This is what publishing companies, etc. are for.

Oh and Ellyllions..that IS a most excellent tongue you have there.

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                      • Jan 2004

Re: Is Ed taking his business model from Lars Ulrich?

Originally posted by Ellyllions
                      I will never purchase another Metallica album after the pussy bitch fit that Lars Ulrich threw over Napster.
                      Are you going to destroy your old ones kind of like Anti-Dixies destroyed their Dixie Chicks CDs?

EDITED: No loss, really, Elly. Nothing really good Metallica can put out if they keep using the same formula over and over.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Ellyllions
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2006

Steve,
                        There were only 2 true Metallica albums.(Kill 'em all, And justice for all)..in my opinion...which doesn't really lend well for the "iconic" stance that others have of them as a band. But the Black album did bend ears and could've opened the door for that music to affect a whole new audience.

The Napster fiasco was just the final nail in the Metallica coffin as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                          • Jan 2004

Elly,

Since this is the main DLR forum, I've continued your discussion in the Metallica thread in the House of Music:

sigpic

Comment

• Ellyllions
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2006

Thanks, but I'd rather talk about Van Halen.

Big smooches though.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Why do hot chicks love kissing retards but leave normal guys hanging?

If you've seen The Ringer then you know what I'm talking about.
                              ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                              Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

Working...