PDA

View Full Version : EVH, "Let's do nothing indefinately!"

nightlife
02-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Question, if you were a professional musician, and you were in one of the biggest, most succesful rock groups ever, why would you just sit around and do absolutely nothing for years on end? I just can't for the life of me figure the VH sisters out. How many millions of dollars have they passed up through the years? This may be their last chance at a major reunion tour. There are alot of poeple, myself included who are going to quit caring. It's now or never!

Atomic Dyver
02-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Why all the sittin around? Because Ed is an insecure, neurotic ass at this point. If he really gave a shit about the fans he would just shut up and deliver the goods. Its that simple. He probably hates the idea of needing Dave at this point. Maybe he forgot what the CVH legacy is all about.

knuckleboner
02-26-2007, 05:49 PM
why would i do nothing? because i'm busy curing cancer. and i'm also fucked up on cheap wine.

ELVIS
02-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by nightlife
Question, if you were a professional musician, and you were in one of the biggest, most succesful rock groups ever, why would you just sit around and do absolutely nothing for years on end?

Alcohol, depression, possible drug abuse...

I've had these "problems" myself...

I'd like nothing more than to see Edward rise above that crap, man...

Sounds like he's making some sort of an attempt, but 100%, I doubt it...

Edward was AWESOME live in the early 90's when he sobered up...

One of the best concerts I ever attended performance wise, even with Hagar at the helm...

:elvis:

JohnnyGuitar69
02-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Alcohol, depression, possible drug abuse...

I've had these "problems" myself...

I'd like nothing more than to see Edward rise above that crap, man...

Sounds like he's making some sort of an attempt, but 100%, I doubt it...

Edward was AWESOME live in the early 90's when he sobered up...

One of the best concerts I ever attended performance wise, even with Hagar at the helm...

Dude, you are SO right on every point you made here. I saw Ed on the Balance tour and he was playing so well I was shocked. I met him backstage before that show and I gave him my 1 & 2 year AA chips and told him to hang in there. He got really choked up and gave me a huge bear hug. I will always treasure that memory and I hope he gets his life back...he has a LOT to live for! :-)

PlexiBrown
02-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Question, if you were a professional musician, and you were in one of the biggest, most succesful rock groups ever, why would you just sit around and do absolutely nothing for years on end?

It is good to be in a position to do what you want when you want. I guess being an alcoholic, getting divorced, having your hip replaced and beating cancer and having half of your tongue cut out can affect things and how you view life. Plus, since when was Ed "normal"? They are attempting to get something going now. Time will tell if it happens. People need to start letting this shit go and if something good happens you can at that time choose if you want to have anything to do with it or not. If anybody at this point feels that EVH owes them anything then they are in a sad place.

nightlife
02-26-2007, 06:34 PM
I just don't understand the sitting around. I wish Ed was more like Zakk Wylde when it comes to work ethic and attitude. That guy never stops! The whole reason he started Black Label Society is Ozzy liked to take 3 or 4 years off between albums. I read an article where Zakk said he can't go a day without playing, let alone years. It's been 9 years since Van Cherone, 12 years since Balance. They have toured 3 times in 12 years for cryin' out loud. If I remember right, the supposed reason they ousted Sammy in '96 was his "work ethic". I don't know but I'd be willing to bet Sam has done alot more than Ed has since then. How hard is it to Record some new music with Dave, tour in support of the new material and make millions?

PlexiBrown
02-26-2007, 06:42 PM
I just don't understand the sitting around. I wish Ed was more like Zakk Wylde when it comes to work ethic and attitude. That guy never stops! The whole reason he started Black Label Society is Ozzy liked to take 3 or 4 years off between albums. I read an article where Zakk said he can't go a day without playing, let alone years. It's been 9 years since Van Cherone, 12 years since Balance. They have toured 3 times in 12 years for cryin' out loud. If I remember right, the supposed reason they ousted Sammy in '96 was his "work ethic". I don't know but I'd be willing to bet Sam has done alot more than Ed has since then. How hard is it to Record some new music with Dave, tour in support of the new material and make millions?

Ask Ed. If this is not possible then it would probably be best to let it go.

nightlife
02-26-2007, 07:10 PM
There's definately other things to do, other music to listen to, but CVH is my favorite. Always has been always will be. The first record I ever bought was VH II, and I've been captivated ever since. I've seen Dave in concert before an I've seen Ed on the Van Cherone tour (only because I heard he was playing alot of Classic VH songs, thought that might be my only oportunity to see him play them) I have been patiently waiting to see Dave and Ed together. Wish it would happen, that's all.

SNIPER
02-26-2007, 07:31 PM
CVH is the reason I play music. I was blown away from the very first note I herd from them. CVH has always been to me the band to beat no band to me has ever had that magic sound and been able to give me goose bumps still to even this day. I believe they could still put out new stuff with Roth that would have that same effect and I will wait as long as I have to dammit!

ELVIS
02-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by SNIPER
I believe they could still put out new stuff with Roth that would have that same effect and I will wait as long as I have to dammit!

Nah...

I highly, highly doubt that...

No way...even...

mickeba
02-26-2007, 07:46 PM
It's not even about work ethic anymore. When you've lived as hard as he is, what is he 52? Not a young 52 either. And when you've gone through all the crap with his band, some of it EVH's fault, some Sammy, some Dave, some all the rest, it's gotta be tough. Also, the expectations are high, and it's gotta add a lot of challenge to it. How do you top the early work? Can you top it? Do you want to top it, or even need to top it? What do the fans expect? And when is it time to just hang it up? Only EVH knows, and I suspect the decisions already been made.

mickeba

Diamondjimi
02-26-2007, 08:02 PM
http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/images/meth.bmp + http://www.badgerwest.com/images/SmokingLoonViognier750M.jpg = http://www.myteespot.com/images/thumbs/t_6681.jpg

Nuff said !

LoungeMachine
02-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Another Naysayer's Thread !!!!

Won't P-Marky be pissed :)

:gulp:

TOM_5150
02-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by nightlife

You're right VH hasn't toured much, but if you count the botched DLR reunions in 2001/2003 plus Ed's cancer, you'd probably have 3 more tours to add to the list.

Atomic Dyver
02-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Does anyone know if Ed has even tried to get sober recently?

TAKIN WHISKEY
02-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Atomic Dyver
Does anyone know if Ed has even tried to get sober recently?

My source, says, NO!!

MUSICMANN
02-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Like Ed said in the RS interview. When you pretty much done everything and acheived everything you set out foryourself, no awards and shit matters and i'm pretty sure, doing what he wants and when he wants is all part of that. the guy is rich and famous, he sets his own time table.

TAKIN WHISKEY
02-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by MUSICMANN
Like Ed said in the RS interview. When you pretty much done everything and acheived everything you set out foryourself, no awards and shit matters and i'm pretty sure, doing what he wants and when he wants is all part of that. the guy is rich and famous, he sets his own time table.

Agree, but most musicians like to play. If he has 10 albums worth of material, like he claims to have. What the fuck is he waiting for?

ELVIS
02-26-2007, 11:31 PM
That plethora of materal bull is just that...bull...

Hardrock69
02-26-2007, 11:52 PM
He needs to do this tour for SO MANY reasons....

Atomic Dyver
02-26-2007, 11:53 PM
If the material was that good it would've shown up by now. If it exists its most likely just roughs. As stellar as CVH is its got to be scary to try to live up to what they've already done.

TAKIN WHISKEY
02-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Atomic Dyver
If the material was that good it would've shown up by now. If it exists its most likely just roughs. As stellar as CVH is its got to be scary to try to live up to what they've already done.

That's exactly why he needs Dave. Dave can take what Ed already has and mold it, and shape it, and turn it into some real Van Halen. Ed, just has to give up some control and let it happen. Like HR said, Ed needs this. Van Halen needs this. Dave, Al, and Wolf need this. And more importantly than anything else, we THE ARMY, need this. IT WILL HAPPEN!

Atomic Dyver
02-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Agreed. But its now or never. Ed can't keep cryin wolf. This is a band that took the rock world by force. They have to make it happen or pack it in and call it a career. Its just gettin harder and harder to give em the benefit of the doubt. Let's hope they do something great, something turns everything upside down. But the clock it ticking...

yah
02-27-2007, 09:57 PM
They are obviously taking this 2007 reunion at a casual pace.....who knows, maybe the whole band (excluding Mike) is rehearsing daily "up on the hill"....
Maybe it will be a 2008 tour instead, and they are just rebuilding the VH band at this point....whatever the case, I don't see much news until the Hall Of Fame.